Start by marking “The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)

The Wedding Date

(The Wedding Date #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  68,825 ratings  ·  8,829 reviews
A groomsman and his last-minute guest are about to discover if a fake date can go the distance in a fun and flirty debut novel.

Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist.

On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a
Published January 30th 2018 by Berkley

·  68,825 ratings  ·  8,829 reviews

Start your review of The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)
Roxane
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a charming, warm, sexy gem of a novel. I couldn’t put The Wedding Date down. I love a good romance and this delivered from the first page to the last. Alexa Monroe is a great heroine—smart, funny, and full of the anxieties women know intimately. And when she meets the handsome doctor Drew Nichols in an elevator, it’s the beginning of an adventure in falling in like and then lust and then love. It was also nice to read a fun novel about an interracial relationship. One of the best books I’ve ...more
Joce (squibblesreads)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
SO GOOD, definitely one of my new favorite romances!
- Interracial relationship (black female and white male protagonists)
- Fake to real relationship trope (one of my faves!)
- Explicit practice of safe sex
- Alexa works for the mayor of Berkeley and she is trying to obtain funding for an arts program for underprivileged youth. Author has a background in law, as does Alexa, and it shows.
- Drew has to check. his. privilege. many times in the book and I am here for it because it is a real issue if tw
Catherine
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My rating makes me really sad because I had very high hopes for this novel.

I was debating whether or not to make it a bit higher, but if I'm being honest, I did not like this as a whole.

Basically, this book is about 30-something year old Alexa and Drew who meet on a stuck hotel elevator, get to talking, and agree that Alexa will attend Drew’s ex’s wedding as his plus one that weekend. That sounded to me like a recipe for the perfect guilty pleasure romantic comedy—I would 101% get sucked into th
_ngallagher
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
ok Alexa is driven, gorgeous, loving, kind and has a fantastic career. But Drew???????????????????? His jealousy seemed to saturate every happy moment. The concept was cute and the San Francisco / Berkeley backdrop was cool but I couldn’t buy into the romance because I really did not like Drew
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars. While it’s true that the best day to read this contemporary romance is on Valentine’s Day, as the cover loves to imply, I wasn’t sure about it back in February.

Then I changed my mind. Sometimes you really do need to trust a book’s cover when it tells you that you’re about to read an adorable and romantic story that will entertain you and warm your heart.

THE WEDDING DATE did that to me. How could it have not? My experience reading it turned out to be exactly like watching a romantic co
Thamy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5, it's not that terrible a 2-star.

Alexa and Drew meet while stuck inside an elevator and they start talking. Drew is really handsome but his ex-girlfriend not only is to marry his best friend but also he was called to be the best man. To make things worse, he's dateless. As an impulse, Drew ends up inviting Alexa to play his girlfriend for the weekend.

This book all happened in the first quarter. I wasn't that excited but it could have been a good book if it had kept the essence. Instead, it t
Christy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-four-stars
4 stars!!!
description

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory is charming, sweet, and downright adorable! I had trouble believing this was a debut novel- it was so well written and a pleasure to read!

Alexa and Drew meet in an unconventional way. They’re stuck together in an elevator. Being stuck together leads to them going to a wedding together. After that, this couple just can’t seem to get enough of each other. Drew is a pediatric surgeon from LA and Alexa lives close to San Fransisco as the mayor’s chief
Melanie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Paloma *The Romance Queen*

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“Alexa Monroe walked into the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco that Thursday night wearing her favorite red heels...”

I loved so much about The Wedding Date! Like, oh my word, what a damn treat! Seriously friends, I know this cover screams Valentine’s Day, but this is the perfect summer read! Jasmine Guillory’s beautiful debut novel stars two people who take an elevator ride that will change their lives.

Erin
2020 Reread

This my 3x reading the Wedding Date and I still love it!

So in 2018 I'm in Target minding my own business. Looking at books even though I swore I wouldn't buy any more books(Haha! LIES!). When a very pretty red book catches my eye. I don't normally buy romance books but something about this book intrigued me. And then I saw the Roxane Gay blurb and I immediately put it in my basket with the 3 other books I shouldn't have been buying.

The Wedding Date is a Hallmark movie in novel form
Larry H
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I'm definitely a big romantic sap, so I guess I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get hooked on the romance genre. I certainly believe in true love, in destiny, but I also look for bright spots in a world that is so angry, so upsetting, so perplexing, so it's no wonder these books have been appealing to me. Beyond that, however, the books I have read over the last year have been well-written, enjoyable, fun, sexy, and utterly compelling, so who could ask for anything more?

I first
Thomas
Hate to say it, but this book disappointed me so, so much. It follows Alexa Monroe, a black woman who works as the mayor's chief of staff, who meets Drew Nichols, a white surgeon. They get stuck in an elevator together and after some flirtatious banter, Drew asks Alexa to accompany him as his date to a wedding for the upcoming weekend. Romance ensues.

Starting off with the good: the book features a flawed yet headstrong black female protagonist, as well as an interracial relationship. Jasmine Gui
megs_bookrack
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Meet Cute turns Forever Cute...or does it!?

Stuck in an elevator with a stranger was not how Alexa Monroe saw her evening going.

Arriving at a local hotel to visit her sister, who is just in town for a night, with a bottle of champagne and some snacks, she's ready for a night of girl chat.

What she gets instead is an interesting proposal from an extra interesting guy.

Dr. Drew Nichols is at the same hotel for a wedding weekend extravaganza. It just so happens that the weddi
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Contemporary-A-Thon challenge #6: read a diverse contemporary -COMPLETE!

This was mega cute. A little corny at times, but honestly what new adult romance isn’t a little corny at times? Would definitely recommend for someone looking for a fast and fun read set in the Bay Area!
Holly
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was sweet, and yet so boring. Much like most Valentine's Days. Just me?

There's a semi-meet-cute scene at the beginning involving a stuck elevator, but after that it's pretty much downhill. Alexa spends way too much time being worried about everything - what to say, what to do, about her looks, about her job, etc. Drew is kind of an idiot when it comes to romance. Even as someone who was in a long-distance relationship for a year and a half (with my now-husband), I didn't even find that part
Theresa Alan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a super cute romance. When Alexa is stuck in an elevator with handsome stranger Drew, the spark is instant. He’s going to the wedding of an ex-girlfriend and former best friend, and he doesn’t have a date. After knowing each other for only a short time, he asks if she’d want to be his pretend girlfriend. She agrees because it’s only a couple days, and then he’ll fly back to LA while she stays in Bay Area.

There is a lot of sex, which I don’t normally like reading, but this isn’t raunchy,
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
"Mmmmmm. Hot, funny guy who occasionally flashed his abs. Was it her birthday?"

I. HATED. EVERY. SECOND. OF. THIS.

When I entered into this book I was expecting something cutesy and fun, lighthearted and sexy, which is exactly what I didn't get.

Sure, the book was somewhat funny at times but everything else was just missing.

From their first interaction, I felt like I was watching a pair of wild animals just waiting to pounce each other. Really, whenever they saw each other they couldn't
Riley
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was an adorable romance with my favorite Fake Dating trope!
❉ Couple meets stuck in a elevator
❉ Guy needs a date to his ex's wedding
❉ Cue adorable and awkward situations
❉ Interracial couple, Alexa is black and Drew is white
❉ Both characters have established careers that they are passionate about. Drew is a doctor and Alexa works for the Mayor
❉ Discussion around body image and beauty standards

A few complaints would be that the sex scenes were mostly fade to black, which I guess this is more
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

I’m so glad I got stuck in that elevator with you.” she said.
“Me, too.”

The Wedding Date is an adorable romance about two people who aren't quite sure how to navigate a "relationship" that was never part of their plans. With a cuter than cute meet-cute, you'd expect things to go smoothly. But when you put together two people who aren't in their element, things are bound to get complicated.

It's serendipitous when Drew Nichols and Alexa Monroe first meet. Drew needs a plus-one last-minu
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

You know how they always say never judge a book by its cover? Sometimes THEY’RE WRONG. Because this cover is cute AF and so was this book!!!! Such a refreshing read, I enjoyed it so much!

The Wedding Date is about Alexa, who when visiting her sister in a hotel gets stuck in the elevator with a hot guy, Drew, when the power goes out. Right off the bat they hit it off and Drew asks Alexa to be hit date at a wedding the next day and she agrees.

One fake night of dating and the two begin
Heather
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Another great book to read near Valentine's Day! Steamy, romantic and def. swoonworthy!
Trina (Between Chapters)
Very adorable and sexy romance! I loved that this got right into things and began with the wedding and then let us watch how things unfolded after the fake date. For the most part, this was compulsively readable but I felt this maybe dragged on a little too long in the middle.

The main character is African American (ownvoices) and there is fat rep. It does toe the line of having some body image issues go away due to the love interest, but with the narrative being so in her head, I felt Alexa's th
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Date-f...

The Wedding Date was exactly what I needed and even more.The writing was beautiful and the story refreshing.The Wedding Date was fast paced and lighthearted!

description

I adored Alexa and Drew.Alexa is smart and funny.Drew is charming,sweet,cute and kind.I really like how they met and I enjoyed that they start first as friends.They have some flirty,funny and sweet moments. Their romance felt realistic and I enjoyed it a lot!They make smile all th
Elyse  Walters
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Audiobook...read by Janine Edwards....
Janine’s ‘over-flourished’ voice didn’t always feel like the right match to the writing to me.

“The Wedding Date” wins my award as being the ‘most’....
eye-rolling, book of the year.

Drew and Alexia meet in the elevator of the Fairmount Hotel in San Francisco.
Alexia’s melting with sensations just looking at Drew.
She’s swooning -fantasizing jumping this stranger.
Their bonding over crackers & cheese - was semi-cheesy...
But.... I kept listening...

I mean... come
Mandy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet little romantic novel. Drew and Alexa both meet accidentally on an elevator and Drew asks Alexa to accompany him to a wedding. He wants her to pretend to be his girlfriend and the weekend turns out to be more than either expected.

Throughout the story each of them fly to each other’s home to visit and find they can’t get enough of one another. But Drew doesn’t do the whole relationship thing and he told Alexa that up front... but something is happening underneath it all.

Predictable story bu
Tatiana
This novel doesn't break ANY new romance ground, does it? I had expected something MUCH better from a Roxanne Gay recommendation.
Sh3lly
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!

This is not the type of book I generally seek out. I like romances, but I usually prefer either historical romances or paranormal ones - something not set in our world, present time. However, after reading Roxane Gay's review, I decided to request it from Netgalley.

This is a contemporary romance and I've heard words used to describe it like "charming" and "cute" and I think that works. Alexa goes to see her visiting sister in her hotel room and gets stuck in an elevator with a cute
Warda
[3.5]
Not many books out there with interracial couples. Whilst this story was light, fuckin adorable and so much fun to read, I love that the author included aspects of race and white privilege in this book. It was done do well.

I'd say pick this book up if you are in the mood for a cute and light-hearted read. And when aren't we in of those moods, amirite?!
Khadidja
Mar 29, 2018 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: dnf
This was cute until they had sex at like 20 percent of the book and i hate that :")

And i actually found myself not giving a fork about any of the characters and i didn't get into the story. Sorry i thought i would like you because i like everything that is chessy and unrealistic but here we are.
The Wedding Date is Jasmine Guillory's debut novel. It features one of my favorite romance tropes: pretend relationships. As the title suggests, the hero needs a date to a wedding, so a stranger he meets in a stalled elevator agrees to show up. Other factors lead to them faking a relationship to save face, and so the trope begins.

Overall, I liked The Wedding Date. Guillory uses diverse characters to showcase issues related to privilege in various dynamics. I read an ARC of The Proposal prior to
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Apparently all of my friends read this because Roxanne Gay told them to, but since I am not a big Roxanne Gay fan I wasn’t even aware she was recommending it. What I was aware of was that the title gave the appearance it might be one of my fave tropes – THE FAKE DATE TO A WEDDING!!!! And it totally was. I didn’t read the synopsis and I am such a moron I didn’t take the cover literally either (because seriously that cover looks like a J

• The Unhoneymooners
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Beach Read
  • The Friend Zone
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Meet Cute
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • 99 Percent Mine
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Hating Game
Jasmine Guillory is a graduate of Wellesley College and Stanford Law School. She is a Bay Area native who has towering stacks of books in her living room, a cake recipe for every occasion, and upwards of 50 lipsticks.

The Wedding Date (5 books)
  • The Proposal (The Wedding Date, #2)
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“Just because their standards are low does not mean that we should lower ours.” 19 likes
“Anne was right to smash her slate over Gilbert’s head—fuck him for calling her Carrots.” 14 likes