Start by marking “The Wedding Date” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Date

The Wedding Date

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  16,307 Ratings  ·  3,223 Reviews
A groomsman and his last-minute guest are about to discover if a fake date can go the distance in a fun and flirty debut novel.

Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist.

On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a
Published January 30th 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Date, please sign up.

Roxane
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a charming, warm, sexy gem of a novel. I couldn’t put The Wedding Date down. I love a good romance and this delivered from the first page to the last. Alexa Monroe is a great heroine—smart, funny, and full of the anxieties women know intimately. And when she meets the handsome doctor Drew Nichols in an elevator, it’s the beginning of an adventure in falling in like and then lust and then love. It was also nice to read a fun novel about an interracial relationship. One of the best books I’ve ...more
Joce (squibblesreads)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
SO GOOD, definitely one of my new favorite romances!
- Interracial relationship (black female and white male protagonists)
- Fake to real relationship trope (one of my faves!)
- Explicit practice of safe sex
- Alexa works for the mayor of Berkeley and she is trying to obtain funding for an arts program for underprivileged youth. Author has a background in law, as does Alexa, and it shows.
- Drew has to check. his. privilege. many times in the book and I am here for it because it is a real issue if tw
Lola
3.5 stars. While it’s true that the best day to read this contemporary romance is on Valentine’s Day, as the cover loves to imply, I wasn’t sure about it back in February.

Then I changed my mind. Sometimes you really do need to trust a book’s cover when it tells you that you’re about to read an adorable and romantic story that will entertain you and warm your heart.

THE WEDDING DATE did that to me. How could it have not? My experience reading it turned out to be exactly like watching a romantic co
Christy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-four-stars
4 stars!!!
description

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory is charming, sweet, and downright adorable! I had trouble believing this was a debut novel- it was so well written and a pleasure to read!

Alexa and Drew meet in an unconventional way. They’re stuck together in an elevator. Being stuck together leads to them going to a wedding together. After that, this couple just can’t seem to get enough of each other. Drew is a pediatric surgeon from LA and Alexa lives close to San Fransisco as the mayor’s chief
Melanie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Paloma

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“Alexa Monroe walked into the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco that Thursday night wearing her favorite red heels...”

I loved so much about The Wedding Date! Like, oh my word, what a damn treat! Seriously friends, I know this cover screams Valentine’s Day, but this is the perfect summer read! Jasmine Guillory’s beautiful debut novel stars two people who take an elevator ride that will change their lives.

Drew Nich
Thamy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5, it's not that terrible a 2-star.

Alexa and Drew meet while stuck inside an elevator and they start talking. Drew is really handsome but his ex-girlfriend not only is to marry his best friend but also he was called to be the best man. To make things worse, he's dateless. As an impulse, Drew ends up inviting Alexa to play his girlfriend for the weekend.

This book all happened in the first quarter. I wasn't that excited but it could have been a good book if it had kept the essence. Instead, it t
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Contemporary-A-Thon challenge #6: read a diverse contemporary -COMPLETE!

This was mega cute. A little corny at times, but honestly what new adult romance isn’t a little corny at times? Would definitely recommend for someone looking for a fast and fun read set in the Bay Area!
Erin
I LOVE this book!!!!!!

I want to thank Roxane Gay, I never would have read this book if I hadn't read her review of this book. You should know that I will read anything Roxane Gay tells me to.

The Wedding Date is a Hallmark movie in novel form and I mean that as a compliment. The Wedding Date a sugary sweet delight. This book had me smiling despite myself the whole time. I don't usually read Contemporary Romance, I'm more of a Mystery/ Thriller, Celebrity Tell-All type of girl but this book thor
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

I’m so glad I got stuck in that elevator with you.” she said.“Me, too.”

The Wedding Date is an adorable romance about two people who aren't quite sure how to navigate a "relationship" that was never part of their plans. With a cuter than cute meet-cute, you'd expect things to go smoothly. But when you put together two people who aren't in their element, things are bound to get complicated.

It's serendipitous when Drew Nichols and Alexa Monroe first meet. Drew needs a plus-one last-minute, and a
Theresa Alan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a super cute romance. When Alexa is stuck in an elevator with handsome stranger Drew, the spark is instant. He’s going to the wedding of an ex-girlfriend and former best friend, and he doesn’t have a date. After knowing each other for only a short time, he asks if she’d want to be his pretend girlfriend. She agrees because it’s only a couple days, and then he’ll fly back to LA while she stays in Bay Area.

There is a lot of sex, which I don’t normally like reading, but this isn’t raunchy,
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

You know how they always say never judge a book by its cover? Sometimes THEY’RE WRONG. Because this cover is cute AF and so was this book!!!! Such a refreshing read, I enjoyed it so much!

The Wedding Date is about Alexa, who when visiting her sister in a hotel gets stuck in the elevator with a hot guy, Drew, when the power goes out. Right off the bat they hit it off and Drew asks Alexa to be hit date at a wedding the next day and she agrees.

One fake night of dating and the two begin
Riley
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable romance with my favorite Fake Dating trope!
❉ Couple meets stuck in a elevator
❉ Guy needs a date to his ex's wedding
❉ Cue adorable and awkward situations
❉ Interracial couple, Alexa is black and Drew is white
❉ Both characters have established careers that they are passionate about. Drew is a doctor and Alexa works for the Mayor
❉ Discussion around body image and beauty standards

A few complaints would be that the sex scenes were mostly fade to black, which I guess this is more
Heather 'Bookables'
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Another great book to read near Valentine's Day! Steamy, romantic and def. swoonworthy!
Trina (Between Chapters)
Very adorable and sexy romance! I loved that this got right into things and began with the wedding and then let us watch how things unfolded after the fake date. For the most part, this was compulsively readable but I felt this maybe dragged on a little too long in the middle.

The main character is African American (ownvoices) and there is fat rep. It does toe the line of having some body image issues go away due to the love interest, but with the narrative being so in her head, I felt Alexa's th
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Date-f...

The Wedding Date was exactly what I needed and even more.The writing was beautiful and the story refreshing.The Wedding Date was fast paced and lighthearted!

description

I adored Alexa and Drew.Alexa is smart and funny.Drew is charming,sweet,cute and kind.I really like how they met and I enjoyed that they start first as friends.They have some flirty,funny and sweet moments. Their romance felt realistic and I enjoyed it a lot!They make smile all th
Mandy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet little romantic novel. Drew and Alexa both meet accidentally on an elevator and Drew asks Alexa to accompany him to a wedding. He wants her to pretend to be his girlfriend and the weekend turns out to be more than either expected.

Throughout the story each of them fly to each other’s home to visit and find they can’t get enough of one another. But Drew doesn’t do the whole relationship thing and he told Alexa that up front... but something is happening underneath it all.

Predictable story bu
Thomas
Hate to say it, but this book disappointed me so, so much. It follows Alexa Monroe, a black woman who works as the mayor's chief of staff, who meets Drew Nichols, a white surgeon. They get stuck in an elevator together and after some flirtatious banter, Drew asks Alexa to accompany him as his date to a wedding for the upcoming weekend. Romance ensues.

Starting off with the good: the book features a flawed yet headstrong black female protagonist, as well as an interracial relationship. Jasmine Gui
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Book Grrrl ⚔
NOW AVAILABLE!

This is not the type of book I generally seek out. I like romances, but I usually prefer either historical romances or paranormal ones - something not set in our world, present time. However, after reading Roxane Gay's review, I decided to request it from Netgalley.

This is a contemporary romance and I've heard words used to describe it like "charming" and "cute" and I think that works. Alexa goes to see her visiting sister in her hotel room and gets stuck in an elevator with a cute
The Wedding Date is Jasmine Guillory's debut novel. It features one of my favorite romance tropes: pretend relationships. As the title suggests, the hero needs a date to a wedding, so a stranger he meets in a stalled elevator agrees to show up. Other factors lead to them faking a relationship to save face, and so the trope begins.

Overall, I liked The Wedding Date. Guillory uses diverse characters to showcase issues related to privilege in various dynamics. I read an ARC of The Proposal prior to
Warda
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5]
Not many books out there with interracial couples. Whilst this story was light, fuckin adorable and so much fun to read, I love that the author included aspects of race and white privilege in this book. It was done do well.

I'd say pick this book up if you are in the mood for a cute and light-hearted read. And when aren't we in of those moods, amirite?!
Catherine
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My rating makes me really sad because I had very high hopes for this novel.

I was debating whether or not to make it a bit higher, but if I'm being honest, I did not like this as a whole.

Basically, this book is about 30-something year old Alexa and Drew who meet on a stuck hotel elevator, get to talking, and agree that Alexa will attend Drew’s ex’s wedding as his plus one that weekend. That sounded to me like a recipe for the perfect guilty pleasure romantic comedy—I would 101% get sucked into th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Apparently all of my friends read this because Roxanne Gay told them to, but since I am not a big Roxanne Gay fan I wasn’t even aware she was recommending it. What I was aware of was that the title gave the appearance it might be one of my fave tropes – THE FAKE DATE TO A WEDDING!!!! And it totally was. I didn’t read the synopsis and I am such a moron I didn’t take the cover literally either (because seriously that cover looks like a J
Tatiana
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, romancelandia
This novel doesn't break ANY new romance ground, does it? I had expected something MUCH better from a Roxanne Gay recommendation.
Khadidja
Mar 29, 2018 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: dnf
This was cute until they had sex at like 20 percent of the book and i hate that :")

And i actually found myself not giving a fork about any of the characters and i didn't get into the story. Sorry i thought i would like you because i like everything that is chessy and unrealistic but here we are.
alexis
After reading The Wedding Date, I created my "Favorite Reads of 2018" shelf on Goodreads and promptly added this book to the list so that should tell you how well things went.

Over the years, Fake Dating & I have had a rocky relationship. Plots revolving around Fake Dating are an easy way to get me intrigued, but they tend to fall short in actuality. Was that the case with The Wedding Date? Definitely not.

"She glanced up at the ornate clock over the bar, surprised at how late it had gotten. A
Geri Reads
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alexa Monroe found herself trapped at a hotel elevator with a handsome, charming Drew Nichols. The incident led to a wedding date, a pretend relationship which quickly escalated into something more.

The Wedding Date charmed me from beginning to end. The best part about this book was easily the heroine! She’s gorgeous and competent as hell but also strong and vulnerable. Alexa Monroe was everything I love in my romance book heroines.

Another element I enjoyed about this book was the development o
Rincey
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author

Between this and To All The Boys I Loved Before, I am apparently all in for the 'fake relationship turns into real love' romance trope
Ishmeen {hiatus}
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars!! This was so cheesy y’all but adorable af too so it was exactly what I needed at this point ❤ I loved the fact that both the main characters POV was included but I do feel that the writing style could be improved and there’s also a lot of repetition, as i feel the characters just keep on going around in circles and falling into the same routine. I would have liked more plot twists/conflict as the issues that did arise in the story seemed to get resolved too easily and a slower burn ...more
Jessica
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is normally not my kind of jam, but I will read anything that Roxane Gay tells me to read. This was so corny and formulaic that, if it weren't written by a black woman, it would have already been adapted into a Kathryn Heigl movie by now. And yet, it was a surprisingly sexy, fun palate cleanser.
Maureen
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day on my way back from Ethiopia and really loved it!
The fake girlfriend/boyfriend trope is always a fave and this book did it SO well. I also loved that this featured an interracial couple, and because of that, Drew realizes a lot about his privilege and is called out on that privilege MANY times. Alexa also discusses a lot about beauty standards and what is/isn't the standard and why that is a problem.
There's just a lot to love about this book in the middle of it being a rea
Simple Places and Techniques For Dating 1 2 Aug 16, 2018 10:50PM
Online Dating Sites and the Steps to Getting Second Dates 1 2 Aug 08, 2018 10:18PM
Play Book Tag: The Weddings Date by Jasmine Guillory -- 3 stars 1 9 Jul 25, 2018 02:43PM
Tysons Corner Rea...: The Wedding Date 3 7 Jul 13, 2018 12:51PM
P&P Romance Book ...: March 2018 - The Wedding Date 5 27 Mar 14, 2018 06:58PM
Jasmine Guillory is a graduate of Wellesley College and Stanford Law School. She is a Bay Area native who has towering stacks of books in her living room, a cake recipe for every occasion, and upwards of 50 lipsticks.
“Alexa looked down into her coffee again, gazing into the dark brown liquid like it was Dumbledore’s Pensieve” 3 likes
“Anne was right to smash her slate over Gilbert’s head—fuck him for calling her Carrots.” 0 likes