Start by marking “The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)

The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Crystal was given to the world of Ardhan by the Elders to save it from an evil wizard. But after destroying her enemy, Crystal's purpose for existing ended--until she saved a single human life and found a new cause for her growing powers. The enthralling sequel to Child of the Grove.
Published March 7th 1989 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Last Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Wizard

Robert Runte
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian-sf-f
review from 1990:

This is the second in Huff's Crystal Wizard duology. Unlike most sequels, this is an even better book than the original. You'll probably enjoy The Last Wizard more by reading Child of the Grove first, but this is a definite "must read."

The Last Wizard interweaves three brilliant plot elements, only one of which is safe to give away here:

Crystal had been created for one purpose and one purpose only, and no one gave a thought to how she'd feel when that was finished, knowing the w
Shae
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely more like the other Tanya Huff books I have read. The writing still wasn't as strong as in her later books, but still really good. The plot was good and developed at a good pace. The foreshadowing could be heavy handed at times but overall was also good. I would say this book is worth reading, but I would still have a hard time saying it's worth reading Child of the Grove to get this book.
Leigh Teale
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
To me, THE LAST WIZARD is a study in the craft of writing. Not just in how Tanya Huff writes this particular story, but in how reading can shape future authors. I last read this book at least fifteen years ago. What you must understand is that I have to read or watch or listen to something at least twice before it sticks. I remember how something made me feel, but I almost never remember anything else. Case in point: This book. I remembered that it was my favorite fantasy book in high school. An ...more
Shaun
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An improvement over the previous book! I know I gave that one 3 stars as well, but I think I gave it a pity 3. This one gets 3 too, because while I liked it I do have to admit it isn't great.

A lot of the things I didn't like about the first book aren't present. While the first book covered generations leading up to our main character in back story that took way too long, this one is all about Crystal. She has a new love interest that is more... well.. interesting. Actually she has a couple new l
Barbara
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
This one is better than the first in this series. I love the idea of this. The main character was created to fulfill a prophecy, which she did in the first book. This one covers what on earth she does next. Something I've not seen before and the idea was explored well.

I also really enjoyed seeing Lord Death in the throes of his first love affair. He behaved like a love-struck teenager. Most amusing.
Elizabeth
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a really good book though like the first one it led up to this big moment and then....it was done and you were left going....what just happened here.......Overall all a good read and I would reccommend it if your looking for some light reading.
Lbaker
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, fantasy
An early book by Ms Huff, her character development is good, one feels the depth of loneliness of multiple main characters, a dwarf who loved long ago, the wizard and her admirer.

It was easy to relate to characters. Although this reads as an early novel, it was also engrossing.
Allison
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this story.
Briana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The heroine is great. I love the love story and how it is really inclusive of multiple kinds of love. Also adventure, mgaical stuff, castles, love! Good, quick, easy fun read that's well written!
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
superb, but she seems to have shot down sequels - phooey!
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this volume of the duology much better than the first book.
TJ
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eehh. Not really worth it
Lindsay (Santafefan)
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely. I read the first Wizard book by Huff, but don't remember much. Didn't matter. This by itself was lovely and profound in a way I've come to expect from Tanya Huff.
Stephanie
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, 2010
Great story, great characters, good action, a satisfactory resolution ... one of my favourites. (Though I do always want more of Raulin and Jago after the story ends...)
S.A.
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tension, anguish and terror. The ending made me cry.
Skyler
Anita Kilgour
Feb 08, 2012
Cait
Jun 04, 2008
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Red Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #1)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • Troika (Indigo, #5)
  • The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)
  • Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2)
  • Pride of Kings
  • Unicorn and Dragon (Unicorn and Dragon, #1)
  • Cyrion
  • Shadow Climber (Bifrost Guardians, #2)
  • Greyhaven
  • The Armor of Light
  • Dark Cathedral (Dark Cathedral, #1)
  • Children of the Blood (The Sundered, #2)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • Moonwise
  • Winner Takes All (Hawk & Fisher, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Wizard of the Grove (2 books)
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)