Start by marking “Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)

Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson #5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  3,737 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
It began with a ghost in his bedroom. A tormented soul hungry for vengeance, The sort of nocturnal visitation that even a five-hundred-year-old vampire like Henry Fitzroy found tiresome. It would lead Vicki Nelson, PI, into her most deadly investigation yet.

The wraith is determined that Henry and Vicki track down its killer - and is prepared to use a little persuasion by w
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published December 2nd 2004 by Little, Brown (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Debt

Amanda
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the fifth and last book in the series by Tanya Huff about Vicki Nelson, Henry Fitzroy and Mike Celluci. We pick up the tale as Henry finds himself haunted by a tormented ghost and realises he needs the specialist help of Vicki.

It is hard to review this book completely without spoiling the events at the end of Blood Pact, but I shall attempt it!

Although there is a ghost involved, the mystery itself is the most mundane out of the five books - concerning an organisation set up to profit fro
HannahCassie (PSIloveThatBook)

MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

THE WORLD: So just as in previous books we have a typical our world but with a little spice of paranormal. All these dark creatures we heard of in spooky stories exist in this world. Do you wanna visit? I sure do.

CHARACTERS: As the title of the series suggests, Vicki Nelson is our main character. However, opposite to the way we are used to see her, now Vicki is different. She is a vampire and a young one as a matter of fact so her being a private detective is
Angela
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Inspired by the recent starting up of the TV show Blood Ties, I've gone and plowed through all five of the Blood books by Tanya Huff. These are all re-reads, but it's been long enough since I read them all that it was almost like reading them all over again. And it was a pleasure, especially after reading a lot more current urban fantasy--in her rather understated kind of way, Huff did her part to contribute to what you see in the more recent run of books.

First and foremost: as vampires go, Henr
Casey
This is the last of the "Victory" Nelson books and the one I liked least. Vicky was always a bit argumentative but it just got annoying in this book. Even though there was an excuse for her and Henry to lock horns as much as they did, it was exhausting.

I finished it because I read the others but I don't know if I'm going to go on to read the spin-off series.

I didn't really hate the book, it was ok (an option not offered by goodreads), but I know I've read far better fanfic.
Chris
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite in the series, and the reason is not because it is the last. There are some wonderful things in here, including Tony and Mike bonding.
mlady_rebecca
Carina
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the last book in the series that I own and was, I believed the last in the series. I mentioned in my review of the previous book, Blood Pact, that this feels a bit like a filler novel - Blood Pacts ending is definitely the more emotive one but Blood Debt does still have the necessary tones of finality about it.

This book ties off a number of the looser ends, we see that the characters have evolved from Blood Price - Tony even makes the point of mentioning it to Celluci - from book to boo
Ana
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La saga parecía que era entretenida, nada profunda, pero de lectura fácil para esos momentos en los que solo quieres pasar el tiempo leyendo. El cuarto decayó bastante, pero este quinto ya ha sido más de lo mismo. Cambia a los personajes, pero es prácticamente el planteamiento del cuarto. Y, lo que podría haber tenido interés con el cambio de la protagonista, se queda diluido sin conseguir que enganche. Comencé la saga después de haber visto la serie y me pareció entretenida, pero este último ha ...more
Evy-Cakes
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I read the book in one night and I cried, laugh, become frustrated at the same time. This book has a different feeling than the rest of the series. I really don't know how to feel about the interaction between Henry and Vicki. I understand why they butt heads and I'm glad in a way that Tanya stuck with want she wrote previously about vampire behaviour but I really missed the way they were before. All in all, it was a good book.
Jennavier
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
This has never been my favorite UF series but in this volume it gets incredibly dull. Huff does not do the mystery section well at all and the interpersonal comes to the forfront. While the characters are slightly more interesting it feels like they just go through the same dance over and over again. I honestly stopped halfway through, skimmed a little, and jumped to the end. I don't feel like I missed anything.
Phillip
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't expecting a lot after getting this from the free bin at a used book store - but I enjoyed it, for what it was. I think there can be slow pacing at times, and the author lets the plot go down rabbit holes just to show the characters are exploring all possible avenues. I suppose it hurt a bit that this is, I think, the 4th or 5th book in the series, and I was just reading this as my first one. But I enjoy the vampire and supernatural elements. It reminds me a bit of Charlaine Harris or th ...more
Elentarri
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
An entertaining, nail-biting addition to the Vicki Nelson series. This book (and the series in general) is all about the characters, and not so much about the mystery that requires solving.
Sheryl
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book
Lynda
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No metaphysical enemy other than their own natures need to be faced and beaten by Vicki & Henry in this episode of their story.
Debora M | Nasreen
- Per me tu eri Mistero... - mormorò Vicky, il ricordo che affiorava dalla sua vita mortale.
- Allora sii Mistero per lui.

Eccoci con la conclusione di questa fantastica saga fantasy thriller di Tanya Huff. So per certo che ci sarà un nuovo libro, una raccolta di spinn off di Tony e Herny ma per me, l'avventura con la saga Blood Books finisce qua, e finisce anche splendidamente.

Molti si aspettavano un libro forzato, noioso... insomma un contentino concesso alle fan scocciate dalla separazione def
Amy *Waitforit*
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who have read the rest of the series, Vampire lovers,
Shelves: series, murder, vampires
A struggle but worth it

It began when Henry woke to the twilight -- and the discovery that a ghost had invaded his inner sanctum. This was the start of a dangerous nightly game. Henry was allowed to ask one question of his mysterious visitor. If the answer was no, someone -- innocent and unsuspecting -- would die. It soon became clear that what this wraith -- and the others who eventually joined it -- wanted was revenge on those responsible for killing them.

So if you are reading this I assume yo
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy
You certainly shouldn't start with this book--it's the fifth and currently the last in a series involving private investigator Vicki Nelson, her friend and lover Toronto cop Mike Celluci and 450-year old vampire Henry Fitzroy--who was born the illegitimate son of Henry VIII of England. Read first Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines and Blood Pact. The various books deal with classic supernatural monsters. The first deals with a demon, the second werewolves, the third an Egyptian mummy and the ...more
Kathy
Vicki, vampire... Mike Celluci... cop... and they love, and Mike needs Vicki enough that he accepts her...It's been a year, since her year with Henry... and she keeps in contact with Henry via phone & email...

and Henry is haunted by a ghost with no hands, who comes to him as he awakens... and if Henry asks a question like illicits a yes answer, the ghost quietly leaves, but if he the answer is no, or if his first comments are not a question, the ghost screams, and an inocent dies...

So Henry
Punk
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, vampires, fantasy
Supernatural/Mystery. Wow, was Huff hitting the Vampire hard in this book. "Vampire! Nightwalker! Prince of Man!" It's on every other page. Oh, am I reading a book with Vampires? I must be very dumb to have forgotten that. Also, we know Henry's the bastard son of Henry VIII, once Duke of Richmond and Somerset, there's no reason he needs to tell us that every time it's his turn to talk.

Despite the endless repetition (and occasionally wonky POV, standard on any Huff novel), this book is probably
Anna
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The final instalment in the Vicki Nelson books was disappointing for me.

It was, as always superbly written but it felt off for some reason. I think part of that was that despite the claims on the dust jacket, this was not Vicki's 'deadliest investigation yet'. Vicki is a vampire and very little threatens her. The conflict was also not directed at her, but at Henry, posing little personal threat to him either. There was the introduction of residents of Henry's building dying of fright, but this w
Text Addict
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I went for many years without reading anything by Tanya Huff, a fact that I now regret, because her books are excellent.

I actually read the 1997 DAW edition, which has a much better cover than this one and which I picked up in a used bookstore. I've seen the Blood series recently re-printed in omnibus volumes, so if urban fantasy that hits most of the major subgenre tropes (in Huff's inimitable style) is of interest to you, consider picking them up!

This concluding volume of the series wraps up
Roberta
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, fantasy
***Attenzione spoiler libri precedenti!!!***

Sono passati ormai tre anni dalla trasformazione di Vicky Nelson, Ex Detective della Polizia di Toronto e Investigatore Privato. Sono quindi due anni che non vede Henry Fitzroy, figlio illegittimo di Enrico VIII, vampiro e scrittore di romanzi rosa, trasferitosi a Vancouver con il compagno Tony onde evitare problemi di territorialità.

Ma quando Henry comincia a svegliarsi ogni mattina in compagnia di un fantasma che esige vendetta e - non ricevendola
LJ
BLOOD DEBT - Ex
Huff, Tanya - 5th in Victory Nelson series

Henry Fitzroy, vampire, writer, and bastard son of Henry VIII, had survived for centuries by obeying the vampires' code. He did not slaughter needlessly, did not draw attention to himself, and never invaded another vampire's territory. But now Henry was about to do the unthinkable. He was going to break the code.

It began when Henry woke to the twilight--and the discovery that a ghost had invaded his inner sanctum. This was the start of a d
May 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: diehard fans of the first 4
Recommended to Jennifer by: my own curiousity
Shelves: read-2010
Deb
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
The plot of this book was pretty thin. Henry wakes up one night and there is a ghost at the foot of his bed with missing hands. Henry was allowed to ask one question of the ghost each night. If the answer was yes, the ghost simply faded away. If the answer was no, an innocent person would die. Henry then calls Vicky to help him figure out who the ghost is and what he wants from Henry. Vicky and Henry are not supposed to be able to work together and be in the same territory now that they are both ...more
Arliegh Kovacs
Blood Debt is the fifth of Tanya Huff's Blood series [Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, Blood Debt, Blood Band]. In this book, Vicki Nelson, Mike Celluci, and Henry Fitzroy (good-to-the-last-drop vampire) are together in Vancouver. Fitzroy is being plagued by ghosts (who are causing fatal consequences to his neighbors) in the few minutes of his awakening each night. He needs Vicki's help [and Celluci is along for the wild ride, again] to find out who they are, what they want, an ...more
Yvensong
3 1/2 Stars

This was my least favorite of the Victoria Nelson books, though I really liked the ending, so I find it difficult to only give it 3 stars. If I jumped this to 4 stars, though, I'd have to give the others 5 stars, which that rating is not warranted, in my opinion. They were fun, but not awe-inspiring, life-changing, or so perfectly written that I felt bowled over.

Trying to figure why I feel this way about this book, the only conclusion I can come to was that I got bored with the inter
Heather Dalgarno
I was, overall, very pleasently surprised by this book. A while ago I read the first in the series, "Blood Price" and didn't think much of it, in fact I remember it as quite a dissapointment. I then watched the Blood Ties TV series, which I loved, and intrigued to find out how the whole Viki/Mike/Henry triangle would play out I decided to give the series another go and got this one in a charity shop.

I was very quickly annoyed to have jumped in to such a late book, since a hell of a lot must have
Avi Hannah
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Of the series, I think this one was my favorite. I'm reading these books because they're by Becca's favorite author. But she herself admits they're not the best by the author.

I don't actually read a lot of supernatural-y, vampires and werewolves and mummies and zombies. So it's been interesting. I'm not sure that it's my type.

I've been pretty pleased with the dynamics between the three main characters and the handling of open relationships. Generally.

But what I liked about this one was just- th
Rachel
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: detective fiction fans, supernatural fiction fans
Shelves: supernatural
Okay, Huff covered vampires, werewolves, mummies, and zombies in the first four books. She finishes up the series with ghosts. Henry wakes every morning to discover a ghost (and then more) by his bedside, apparently wanting revenge. He calls Vicki, who tries to discover who they are and why they want Henry, uncovering a larger plot along the way. This is a bit of a departure, in that the ghosts aren't actually the focus of this one -- the relationship between Henry and Vicki is. Huff uses this b ...more
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Blood Rites (Austra Family, #3)
  • A Matter of Taste (Dracula Series, #6)
  • The Gathering Dark (Shadow Saga #4)
  • A Candle for d'Artagnan (Atta Olivia Clemens, #3)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Vicki Nelson (8 books)
  • Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1)
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Blood Bank (Vicki Nelson #6)
  • La saga de la sangre