Start by marking “Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy” as Want to Read:
Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy

Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Kristen Stewart (as JT) and Laura Dern.

The JT LeRoy scandal is a story of our times. In January 2006, the New York Times unmasked Savannah Knoop as the face of the mysterious author JT LeRoy. A media frenzy ensued as JT's fans, mentors, and readers came to terms with the fact that the gay-male-ex-truck-stop-prostitute-turned liter
Published October 7th 2008 by Seven Stories Press (first published August 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Boy Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Boy Girl

James Tracy
Jesus F. Christ, you gotta give this woman credit for sheer audacity. I'm not sure what's more stomach wrenching--her shamelessly taking on the "poor junkie hustler boy" persona or the dozens of lame-ass gliterati who needed to celebrate one to make their own miserable rich fuck lives more meaningful.

And you know what? There's plenty of real street kids writing real stories everyday. Check out Roaddawgs magazine out of SF's Tenderloin for the real deal. Think these kids are gonna have Carrie Fi
Lord Beardsley
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2008
I found this book to be very brave and interesting. I know that a lot of people are really critical of her motives for writing it, but I really don't see any of those behind what she conveys in the book. I know that people say she just misses the fame, etc., but I think she would be the first to admit it that, yes, she does mourn not having this anymore. In fact, she often mourned this when she was still living as JT Leroy and herself. I think it's very interesting how she brings up how much eas ...more
Anderse
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one - not even those facinated by JT LeRoy
Recommended to Anderse by: Satan
Books like these are why I never seem to have the time to read the classics. The time I've wasted reading and watching movies based on non fiction that turns out to be pure fiction. (I'm looking at you, James Frey.)
I am fascinated by autobiographical books that are outed as fakes. Burns my butter to see them still in the Non-fiction section of the library after all this time though....
Anyway, the story behind this story isn't too interesting. Yeah, she got to meet famous people while posing as
Juliette
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
Laura Albert is a literary genius. Her nom de plume (JT Leroy) scandal rocked certain peoples' worlds apart. This memoir is written by her ex-sister-in-law who played JT Leroy in public. JT Leroy was Laura Albert's nom de plume. I loved reading about Savannah-as-JT's love affair with Asia Argento, the Hollywood travels and tales, and the debut of the Asia Argento film which was adpated from a JT book at Cannes. Ultimately, this is Laura's Story, and Savannah's version only seems like a tiny part ...more
René
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book raises more questions than it answers, which I think is a good thing.

I never read JT Leroy. I vaguely remember hearing about him (and seeing all the pics of him in a wig, hat, and sunglasses, always flanked by some celebrity) back in the 2000s. I have even fuzzier memories of his outing -- at the time, the James Frey fraud caught my attention more. I only recently became interested in the JT Leroy story after reading Kevin Young's massive examination of hoaxes and frauds, Bunk. Young's
J.C.
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
The story of J.T. LeRoy is long and complex and is not chronicled within the pages of this book. It's her side of the story and her side only.

Having read a J.T. LeRoy book, I was a little curious about the "scandal" that erupted. After reading this book I could care less. It might have been a scandal, but it was only scandalous to the "artsy-fartsy-protectors of-all-things-sacred in-the-art-world" crowd. the real world could care less.

The only redeeming thing about this book was when Carrie Fis
Meg
Dec 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish it. Not only did I feel deceived the entire time, but Savannah Knoop takes no personal responsibility and is a terrible writer. The book was flat out boring. Maybe if her sister-in-law had written it...
usagi ☆ミ
I seem to be the only one who enjoyed this memoir. That's a shame, because even if it's not exactly the most linear in terms of how the whole JT Leroy debacle came up, it's still a peek into her head on how she was taken for the ride of her life.

Give the book a chance, guys.
Davinia Muque
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libros-2018
Vanessa
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A história é muito, muito, muito doida. Não é um livro que chamaria a minha atenção normalmente, mas a narração da Kristen Stewart no audiobook me trouxe até aqui. Amei ela fazendo os sotaques e as vozes diferentes para as personagens. Amei ela falando português no capítulo de Copacabana. Nunca pensei que a ouviria dizendo palavras como Capoeira, Gororoba e Batatinha.

Em relação a Savannah, senti pena dela, pois deu pra perceber que era uma pessoa muito perdida, que vivia um momento muito difíci
Lesbianfunworld Online
Ahhhhh….. where to start, where to start. It is the sad story of two women so in hate with themselves they choose to be someone else… a drug-addicted, HIV positive, sexually abused, ex-prostitute transsexual. I mean sure, it looks glamorous when you write it out like that, but two women pretending to be the same young gay guy? You have to know it will end badly.

The author of this book, Savannah Knoop, is one of the girls in the title. The other girl is Laura Albert. And the boy is JT Leroy (tha
Meg Kenny
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I tried to read this garbled, self serving, inauthentic piece of trash. Really I did. I wanted to be open minded about the motives of someone who would willingly go along with a lie about the, frankly, soul destroying life of a boy who is systematically abused and violated at every turn and then, to add insult to injury, fakes an AIDS diagnosis to cover up said lie. These things happen, so Savannah Knoop would have you believe, almost by accident. What is even more galling about the conduct of t ...more
Imogen
Oct 09, 2008 added it
Man, y'know, I thought I was interested. I liked the JT Leroy fiasco! I was in a weird place when I read those books, though, and I'm terrified to go back and re-read them 'cause they might be totally stupid. (Though I totally don't care about policing authenticity in authorship. Have we forgotten the structuralists so soon, just because structuralism doesn't really work?)

So yeah. I thought this would be interesting, so I read the first chapter or two. Early on there's a bit where she and Asia A
Malvolio
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I don't know. I thought it was interesting in regards to the whole scandal...but i felt really underwhelmed and sad....like, if someone is going to be that dramatic and scandalous, and get away with such a fun scam...is it too much to ask for that they be likeable and exciting too? The days of Errol Flynn are over methinks. I was just kind of bored.
Ray
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
i skipped so many pages of this. largely because i don't care that j.t. leroy is not real. i still loved the books.

plus, i still think Dennis Cooper is really behind the whole thing. and if he is not, i would rather hear Laura's story than Savannah's.
Brittani
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's not the best written book out there but it's still a very good read. I'm glad Savannah found her voice, I feel Laura often tries to deny her that so she can craft her own narrative about how the entire JT Leroy facade went down. Savannah's POV is interesting.
E
Apr 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, memoir-bio, queer
The things I read for love.
Daniel Levesque
Dec 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Daniel by: Pete
UGH. I wanted so much more info. A hopeful attempt, at best. I want LAURA to write a tell-all. This told me nothing new. Lots of adverbs.
Jaimini Mehta
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Not amazing but not awful. It did make me want to read The Heart.... again though :)
Ea Solinas
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The tale of J. T. Leroy is a fascinating one - a wispy, tragic, sexually/gender-fluid former drug-addict/child prostitute who crafted bestselling books based on his life. He became a cult figure for several years... until it was discovered that he didn't actually exist, and the books sprang from the imagination of his manager Laura Albert.

But a crucial part of the whole affair was Savannah Knoop, the young woman who pretended to be Leroy for public appearances - she donned a blonde wig, a Southe
hattie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From looking at the reviews, it would seem that people are rating this book based on the moral character of Savannah Knoop (or Laura Albert...!), rather than the story or the writing. That’s a shame. This one definitely left me with wanting more. And, it was yet more proof that Carrie Fisher was probably one of the kindest people in Hollywood.
LJS
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Would really give it 2.5 stars, but not an option. I listened to this as an audio book. This story is so fascinating, but the writing was not great. I am not a fan of overly descriptive narration that has nothing to do with the story (constant descriptions of food, etc. zzzzz), it would make me tune out.

I did really appreciate her side of the story.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I mistakenly thought the whole JT Leroy fandango was maybe compelling and/or interesting, but it's really not. It was just a bunch of narcissists being narcissistic. Side note - I am always suspicious of memoirs that are almost entirely conversations. Read this if you like bad books/ridiculous stories.
Virna
I'm not usually drawn to this kind of story. But it's interesting to hear Kristen Stewart narrated the whole thing. She even do accents and stuff.

Not something I would recommended to others, but at least try to listening to the audiobook, it makes this whole story a lot more enjoyable!
Christine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I remember being fascinated by JT Leroy back in the day. Reading this was kinda sad, as it ripped apart all of the mystery, but necessary because of its truth.
Rayna
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was an interesting story but in the end I didn't feel bad for either Savannah (JT) or Laura so I'm not sure this book had the intended result.
Staggerleely
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó Savannah 💕
Bouman
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un acercamiento interesante a la cabeza de una veinteañera que tuvo que lidiar con la responsabilidad de dar vida a una mentira, de la increíble conexión que Savannah Knoop tenía con Laura Albert, ya que ambas sufrían desordenes alimenticios. ...more
Callum
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Once you get past the babydyke fantasies lived out in the opening chapter, there isn't much more left to digest. Savannah Knoop, a bi-sexual androgynous twenty something, is asked by her brother's girlfriend Laura Albert to play the part of her nom de plume, transgender street kid with an attitude, Jerimiah "Terminator" LeRoy. Over the course of a few years Savannah gives more and more of herself over to JT, ultimately becoming conflicted over who she resembles more; herself or JT.

Despite being
Christopher
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Part celebrity tell-all, part alterna-hipster Judy Blume novel, this book by the unmasked former face of faux author JT Leroy is delicious trash if you're in the mood for Hollywood scandal with an artsy indie twist.

Having been a fan of JT Leroy's work back when we all thought he was real, I ordered this book wanting some answers. Even though Knoop manages to take us through the events of her life as JT, there's still a feeling that she's playing it safe and holding back the tender bits.

This is n
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Harold's End
  • Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life
  • The Territory of Men: A Memoir
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • On the Lower Frequencies
  • Mémoires d'une geisha
  • Things Unspoken
  • Room to Grow: An Appetite for Life
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Junko Mizuno's Hansel And Gretel (Viz Graphic Novel)
  • The Box Children
  • Volevo essere una farfalla
  • Love, Sara
  • Testament
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • Our Bodies, Our Crimes: The Policing of Women's Reproduction in America
  • Dannii: My Story
  • Ma vie rouge Kubrick
Savannah Knoop (born circa 1981) is an American fashion designer and DJ who was identified by The New York Times on January 9, 2006 as being the public persona in the JT Leroy hoax created by Laura Albert. Knoop is half sister to Geoffrey Knoop, Albert's former partner. She graduated from Westover School in 1999.

The daughter of filmmaker John Knoop and acupuncturist Sharon Hennessey, Knoop DJs wit