Start by marking “Return (The Sun God's Heir, #1)” as Want to Read:
Return (The Sun God's Heir, #1)

Return

(The Sun God's Heir #1)

The Sun God's Heir is a swashbuckling series, set at the end of the seventeenth century in France, Spain and northern Africa. Slavery is a common plague along the European coast and into this wild time, an ancient Egyptian general armed with dark arts has managed to return and re-embody, intent on recreating the reign of terror he began as Pharaoh. René Gilbert must rememb ...more
Published January 2nd 2017 by Hypatia Press (first published July 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return

Kevin Bergeron
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story opens in seventeenth century France, with two young men, Martin and Rene, and a young woman named Claire, together on a picnic outing in the country. These three young friends, members of the aristocracy, are wonderfully appealing characters who singly and collectively engaged me immediately. Rene is a skilled swordsman who has killed a man and vowed never to kill again. He conceals his worldly experience and aspires to a higher purpose. Martin is introspective and quiet, eager to gain ...more
Andy Peloquin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge historical fiction fan, but I'd have to say I enjoyed this book a lot. I almost felt like I was reading The Count of Monte Cristo, but with reincarnation and "soul mates" instead of vengeance.
First off, the characters are well-developed, with interesting personalities that are realistic and easy to identify with. They felt a bit too "optimistic" and "heroic" for the modern world we live in, but what's life without escapism? The story held my interest all the way through to the en
Joshua Winters
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing read. It has a little of everything: action, romance, PIRATES! I'm going to repeat that. IT HAS PIRATES! Every hero needs an epic journey and this is an awesome beginning.

Merged review:

Jeff Dawson
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
With the first installment finished, I have no idea who the Sun God’s Heir is. Is it the hero, Rene or the villain, Victor? I don’t know and that doesn’t make for a happy reader.

The piece is set in 1600, France. I will credit the author with excellent descriptions of the scenes, placing the reader in the think of it. However, the dialogue drags in the sense that for every sentence, there are three to four to explain their facial features and their inner thoughts about what they just said.

I tho
Deena
Dec 23, 2017 marked it as could-not-even-finish
Pretty sure that whoever wrote the blurb never actually read this. DNF at 23%.

I don't know the word I want to use. I'd like to use "pretentious," but it's not good enough for that. Is there a word for "cheap shit knock off of pretentious"? That'd about cover it, I think.

The characters are cardboard cut-outs, at 23% there's only the faintest hint of the story arc, and we're told everything and shown nothing.
Penny Beverly
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! The characters are well developed both heroes and villains. Rene, Clarissa, Akeefa, the sheik, Victor/Horemhed. Major and minor characters all receive the same care by the author. I got lost in the time of the Spanish Inquisition with these characters. Plenty of action, young love, magic...difficult to put down, feels as though you'll miss something happening if you don't keep reading it's so intense.

Seems to have been extensively researched, human trafficing, pirates
Sheila Carsins
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story for a cliffhanger.

This was a great story for a cliffhanger that goes on for several more books. Unfortunately, I haven't the time, interest, or energy to read what appears to be at least three or four more books in this series. If not for that drawback, I would've been happy to finish such a vibrant tale of mystery, magic, and mayhem. My favorite character was "The Maestro." I believe that many of his past lessons have relevance in today's time and society..
Janet Daghri
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This historical fiction is well written, well researched, and exciting to read. The book would likely be more targeted to men who like to read about swashbuckling duels and fights as well as the clear descriptions of sea voyages that include storms as well as European slave Salé Corsairs out of Morocco chasing ships off the coast of North Africa. However, as a woman who doesn't normally read this type of book, I found it fascinating and exciting. Being married to a Moroccan, this history of Moro ...more
Mrs
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fairly Good but Incomplete

I liked the writing style and plot, but I don't usually like a book ending in a way that's clearly designed to make you read the next one just to get answers. The characters were interesting and the descriptions were well done. The plot was very good. However, the mysticism was puzzling. It was pretty gross, too. There were only a few mistakes in grammar or wording, which is less distracting than in most books.
Jon Grafton
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually into historical fiction, but this was an excellent and highly entertaining book about the world of 17th century Mediterranean pirates, soldiers and swordsmen. It also has an intriguing love story twisted throughout it, along with a little hint of fantasy and the supernatural. A great series opener that's fun and visual. Highly recommend!
Barbara J Maich
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This author has captured my attention from media beginning until the end. I look forward to ant novel from this writer. Awesome color detail that makes the mind wander to a place we will possibly never see. It is an action packed novel which you may not be able to put down for any length of time . Thank you to the author for this marvelous journey.
Valerie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well researched

I have enjoyed this book very much. It is historically accurate. Maker's characters are well-defined and interesting. I ..love the adventure !card with magical realism and the relationships between the protagonist and other characters. I enjoyed it so much that I rate it 5 stars despite the few editorial errors. Very creative and well-written.
Frank Fusco
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Exciting swashbuckler adventure. Story contains very unnecessary ancient throwback mysticism. I almost deducted a star for that but the excellent adventure carried it. Well written, I completely enjoyed.
Harry Royster
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two thumbs up

This book was nothing like I imagined it would be. It was so much better. Every time I thought it to be predictable it pleasantly surprised me. I liked it and so will you.
Ruby Derouen
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing

This story has you captivated from beginning to end. It leads you from one adventure to another and introduces some very interesting characters along the way. I am anxious to discover the outcome of the characters in the next eerie of this book.
Richard Cowart
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting read

This is an excellent read about 17th century European and northern African culture and shipping. When you add in sword fighting and Egyptian mysticism you produce a very compelling read which sucks you into the adventures.
kim caldwell
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent world

Flashes are all we get of previous lives(?)but the action, adventure on the high seas and mature acceptance grow this story. Based on the synopsis, then the reality, I at first was thinking this was dry, but was sucked in to story. Excellent!
Anthonia
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good historical book that i enjoyed reading. Talk about your different continents in this book. The tale is very well put together, with the plot, charterers, and the events that unfolds in this book. A must read for any and all book lovers everywhere.
Christopher Bolton
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bought the other two as soon as I could

Not too surprising plot wise but very well written and with very good characterization. I was not mixing up people.
Besides, it was a lot of fun.
Do try at least the first one . I look forward to reading the next books in the series.

Larry
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good book by Elliott Baker

This book after the first few chapters was non-stop action thru to the end, and you can't wait to read the next book in this series to see what will happen to Rene and Akeefa.
Sandra Manson
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book of the sea/pirates

Very good reading, very interesting and exciting. Hard to put down. Enjoyed it. Can't wait to read the remained books.
Paige Butterfield
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling!!

Can't put it down! It is so captivating, from beginning to end or leaves you wanting more! Can't wait to finish!
Royce Watson
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good read, lots of blood and guts with some women thrown in for a little romance. Sometimes I had a hard time putting it down.
Pippa Shaw
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. Elliott Baker is a master storyteller, making his readers care about the world that he is describing and about the lives of his characters. His writing was not without a couple of question marks for me, but overall, this book was hard to put down.

In terms of material and themes, Mr Baker’s book reminded me very much of the writings of Katherine Kurtz. The nature of the magic he described with the paths of light and dark continuing from gener
Marko
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too much historical fantasy and too little historical fiction. I read this almost through, but finally I gave up. The swordfighting scenes make little to no sense from the perspective of actual historical rapier use and the protagonist's fantastical skills have no basis in anything historical. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the author has read a lot of Remo books and wanted to make a historical character in the same mold (coincidentally the hero here is called René), but he forgot to cop ...more
JFH
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overwritten and cloying ruining a decent adventure

A light easy read. A page turner if only due to its meager descriptive elements. The author sinks into metaphysical gibberish far too often. If I had to read how Rene left the physical world and sunk into a deeper sense of his immortal self one more time I would have welcomed his rapier at my neck. The worst offense was when the author treated a normal conversation as if it were a battle, once more using the same metaphysical hokum, when it was a
Denise
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was very difficult to read. A young French man, son of a merchant, is trained in fencing by a master of the craft. A jealous argument with another man (over a young woman of course!) causes him to leave town. But throughout his meanderings he has flashbacks of an earlier time in ancient Egypt where he is involved with the Pharaoh and Horemheb (general of the army). At this point, I gave up and left off reading...
John
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story that spans several thousand years. In the mid-1600's, Rene Gilbert, goes to sea on family trading ship in the Mediterranean, after defeating Victor Gaspard, a local bully, in a duel. Gaspard, near death, is "rescued" by the essence of Horemheb from ancient Egypt. That Horemheb/Gaspard want vengeance against Rene is a foregone conclusion. How that vengeance is to be extracted is the premise for this story, and the next two books in the series.
Donna Paquette Smith
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The characters jump off the page and the emotions are deep and compelling. As we learn through the experiences and thoughts of the hero, we are obliged to look inside ourselves for our own strength, authenticity and integrity. The family connections are powerful. The scenes set in graphic detail. I had to know where the characters were going. And I couldn't wait to get my hands on Book II
Debbi
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This could have been a great high seas adventure story had the author left out this Egyptian stuff embodying a character from three thousand years ago. The story takes place in the 1600's. That part of it barely got started in this book so maybe it gets better in the next, we'll see. It is a fantasy after all.
GOOD REVIEWS: Seeking reviews for a cross genre historical fantasy 1 10 Dec 28, 2017 01:25PM
  • Buccaneer (Hector Lynch, #2)
  • Moriarty Meets His Match (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #1)
  • Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (Guy of Gisburne, #1)
  • Assassin's Soul (Angel Crusades, #1)
  • The Other
  • Meets Girl
  • The Shadow Files: A Limited Edition Collection of Supernatural Suspense Novels
  • The Krankies Go Dogging
  • Bred by the Berserkers (Berserker Saga, #2.5)
  • Shadows and Stars: A Limited Edition Collection of Sci-Fi Romance and Paranormal Romance Novels
  • Nabvan (Warriors of Milisaria, #1)
  • Forward
  • Falling Through Time (Scarab, #1)
  • Unpredictable Love (Shades of Love, TRUST Series #6)
  • The Masterkey (Masterful Book 0.5)
  • The Master of Bruges
  • Java Frost (Cupid's Coffeeshop, #1)
  • Rebels and Realms: A Limited Edition Urban Fantasy Collection

The Sun God's Heir (3 books)
  • Rebirth (The Sun God's Heir, #2)
  • Redemption (The Sun God's Heir, #3)
“Although he was not concerned, the Maestro had taught him to use his head in any threatening situation. Always take the line of least resistance. Never let useless emotions cloud your judgment. “’Twould” 0 likes
“Vrijheid has been the name of a privateer and sometimes pirate vessel. I am changing the purpose of this ship and so will change the name.” 0 likes