Start by marking “American Journey: The First Three Novels” as Want to Read:
American Journey: The First Three Novels

American Journey: The First Three Novels (American Journey #1-3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

In SEPTEMBER SKY, a reporter and his estranged son find southern belles, lawlessness, and danger as they travel to Galveston, Texas, on the eve of its devastating 1900 hurricane.

In M
Kindle Edition
Published January 4th 2017 by John A. Heldt

To ask other readers questions about American Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Journey

Kate O'Connell
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is time travel possible?

Thank you for these entertaining journeys
This is a good summer time read. I found myself questioning a few things caught up in the possibility that time travel is a reality.
Cheryl Lopatka
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable group of stories

I enjoyed this set of books about different people who, thru the brilliance of one man were able to travel in time back to the last century. Nice romance stories with plenty of action and excitement. I recommend this set of three books.
Lisa Beaver
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive read

Fun, imaginative, thought provoking. I want more. Time travel done differently. Magic or Science? Hopefully, reading more will answer my query.
KIM MACLEOD
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an immersive read

Thoroughly enjoyed this journey through different times. Wonderful weaving of history fantasy and human emotions.
Would recommend this to anyone.
Rachael
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read approximately 10% of this book. So far the father and son have traveled 116 years into the past to flirt with pretty girls. Seriously. This may be the least imaginative fantasy novel ever.
Dee
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Dee by: Author
American Journey box set - September Sky, Mercer Street, Indiana Bell by John A Heldt Review
The start of the journeys to the past!

Meet a mysterious professor, step into a hidden chamber, and take the time-travel plunge! The opportunity awaits in the first three novels of John A. Heldt’s celebrated American Journey series. Filled with history, romance, and adventure, the American Journey series takes readers on a ride through the most memorable eras of the 20th century

What did I like? My second l
Valerie
I so enjoy the day dreams I have when reading a time travel novel. John Heldt sends people off into the past through Professor Bell in this trilogy. The first book, September Sky, sends a father and son to Chicago, right?! Wrong, they instead go to New Orleans to right a family wrong. Then, they endure a historic hurricane and help to rescue people and rebuild lives. The hurricane causes a lot of white knuckles on the part of the reader. Prof Bell always warns people against falling in love and ...more
Tess Ailshire
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still debating how well I liked it. Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, and I'm feeling generous today.

It's obvious a ton of research accompanied each story. In "September Sky", in fact, I got bored with all the details of which building survived and which succumbed, what stood on which corner, etc. "Mercer Street" brings a bit of humor with Dr. Einstein being "Old Guy" on the street, though the library descriptions get tedious. "Indiana Belle" has the least boring detail of the three, though its d
Carol
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. I wanted to immerse myself in the historical periods visited. What I got was 21st century people visiting a place that was only very superficially historical, meeting people who talked and acted much like we do today.

This is a romance novel thinly clothed in history. If you want to really immerse yourself in an historical period, read Vijaya Schartz' books! Her "Curse of the Lost Isle" series transports you to Medieval Europe, and my favorite, Ashes for the Elephant God, while co
norma  linza
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great trilogy you can't put down

I enjoyed this theme immediately. The first story went fast and had me captivated. The second book was rather 'long' and dragged on for quite a bit about half way through. *reminded me of Stephen Kings' original books. Too many words and too long.
The last story had ideal pace although the trip to the future could be omitted and instead a trip to the Bells should have been done while they were in California. That is what I expected while they were out that way.
Ni
Astrid Falkenberg
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Even though I’m a big time travel fan, the 3 stories spent too much time on individuals’ selfish pursuits of their own agendas to change the past and sappy love stories. In my understanding of time travel, changing history can have dire consequences, which the author didn’t ever fully explore. However, what kept my interest were certain aspects of a simpler life that lured the time travelers to leave the present and explore living in a past without modern conveniences. Even with being faced with ...more
Michelle
I was expecting something different. I was expecting more history, less romance and changing the past to suit the romance angle. It would have been far better to come away with a hard lesson, than handed a gloss over that it’s ok to disrupt history by filling it with 21st century people. It’s not a series I will follow.
Jackey  Weightman
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The stories moved forward without too much faffing about. An interesting vision of time travel and the third book left it open for many more adventures. Well researched and thoroughly enjoyable read.
Peggy Haupt
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time travel at it's finest

Anyone that likes time travel will really enjoy American Journey: The First Three Novels! I loved all 3 but the last one set in the 20's I think was really great. I really had a hard time putting it down.
Bette Lentz
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel that feels like history

These three novels are a fun trip thru time. And history. Each story takes us from Professor Bell to great adventures.
Diana
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I had so many memories of the way things used to be. So much I had forgotten. I loved the first two stories I did not like the third.
Donna
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable

Enjoyed the characters, the time( times) they spent. It was surprisingly difficult to put down. I’d recommend this to anyone interested in a good read.
Debbie Ann
Apr 26, 2018
Adrienne S. Mahoney
Jun 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John A. Heldt is the author of the critically acclaimed Northwest Passage, American Journey, and Carson Chronicles series. The former reference librarian and award-winning sportswriter has loved getting subjects and verbs to agree since writing book reports on baseball heroes in grade school. A graduate of the University of Oregon and the University of Iowa, Heldt is an avid fisherman, sports fan, ...more

American Journey (6 books)
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)
  • Indiana Belle (American Journey, #3)
  • Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)
  • Hannah's Moon (American Journey, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)