Start by marking “Passages” as Want to Read:
Passages

Passages

Find someone you can trust.

On the run after an
Published January 31st 2017 by Sprouting Star Press

To ask other readers questions about Passages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passages

Start your review of Passages
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

This is less of a one star review and more of a DNF. I got to 6%. And that 6% took me weeks to achieve. It didn't just not capture my interest; it seemed to do its best to repel me. I kept trying and through the books confused narrative and assumptions it pushed me away. In the end, by 6% I was so bored and confused I decided to give up. I tried my best, but sometimes it's just worth the effort to keep going.
Anna
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
****I voluntarily reviewed this book for the author!****

Great new book by this author! I've had the privilege of reading the authors other books, and Laurel Wanrow definitely has a distinct verbage and story telling techniques that when you read her stories, you just instantly know it was written by her.

Wanrow is a really powerful world builder, it was so complex, it took me a while to delve into it, but once I did embrace it, it was magical.

I loved Quinn (and Quaene), he was probably my
Ramona Plant
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Passages is a well written science fiction book that has a nice amount of paranormal thrown in. Laurel Wanrow has a pleasant writing style that reads with ease and keeps you glued to the book. The plot is unique and follows a good pace. There are some nice twists in this book, some you can kind of guess and others that are well hidden.

Quinn is an adorable character who you can't help but cheer for. He is stuck in a difficult situation, having no idea who he is and who he can trust or not but he
Diane Dannenfeldt
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 400-500_pgs, m-f
It has been awhile since I read a very well written si-fi book & this was one of them. I did at times get a little lost on the different "species" of people and the hierarchy. I really liked both Quinn & Eve. There were some good twists, a few that I had figured out but that didn't take away from the story. This is a new author to me but I look forward to reading more of her stories.

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Riley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DAir this is a good book!

Lets start with what sets Passages apart from most books Ive read lately. Its creative. Laurel Wanrows development of the world of Aarde, its physics, biogeography, the goud and most especially, the electorgs and their socio-political structure is very thoughtful and quite original.

One might say that electorgs, or torgs, are just cyborgs and therefore not original. Maybe yes, they are cyborgs, but face it, the Docga have very specific criteria for selection of humans
Jen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Passages is an intriguing book. I found the beginning a bit confusing because I felt thrown into a very different and complex world without much explanation. But, the characters, plot, and setting were so interesting that the book kept my attention. The author very slowly revealed more information, secrets, and plot twists throughout the book. Just when I thought I could guess what where the book was going and what would happen next, the book would take a turn I didn't foresee, or some mystery ...more
Koeur
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it

Publisher: Sprouting Star

Publishing Date: January 2017

ISBN: 9781943469079

Genre: SciFi/Romance

Rating: 1.1/5

Publishers Description: For decades, Eve and her fellow electorgspart human, part machinehave worked on the quiet planet of Aarde, beating back toxic spores that threaten to poison the native people. When the new commander halts work right before a deadly spore release, Eve frantically plots to protect the villagers she considers friends and family.

Mia Jo Celeste
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done, sci-fic

My favorite thing about Passages is the world building, which is complex and deeply thought out. Its a world a reader could immerse herself in. There is so much depth and so many possibilities that Im guessing Laurel could write many, many tales about the world.
Yet, like all good science fiction, the cool-strange becomes comprehensible as the characters experience the world. This story starts out with Quinn on the run with his grandmother. Hes lost his memory, so as he discovers cross jumping
meghann
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a fan of this author and her Luminated Threads series, so I jumped at the chance to read this book. I really enjoyed reading about Quinn and Eve and the other characters. The mystery of Quinn's past was intriguing, and I loved uncovering the truth piece by piece. Eve was an awesome character who would set aside her own troubles to help anyone in need. There were some heartbreaking losses but also some
Diane Burton
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A Long Book. At over 400 pages, this book was way too long. Good world building and likable characters couldn't make up for a book that should have been tightened. Confusing at first, so much thrown at the reader, the story settled down and became interesting.
'Chel
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Cross-posted to my blog, Idle Pursuits. Follow for more bookish nonsense and fiber arts.

At almost 500 pages, its a shame that a lot of the verbiage and words didnt create a functioning plot tapestry. I will admit. I was confused for whole chunks of this book, literally entire swaths of pages where I had no idea what was happening. I feel like Im a bright person. I feel like I can grasp a concept and not need it spelled out, but something about the authors way with words and prose made
Martabliese
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new book from Laurel Wanrow... and another great story. Fabulous world-building and great characters. Well worth the read!
Jason
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok a Sci-fi mystery with a dash of romance

Minor spoiler- the summary is misleading. Quinn not trusting the electrocogs when he is one himself is a little disappointing. The story would have had a better dynamic if the leads came from different backgrounds instead of the same, but overall an ok book.
Gena
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I received a free copy of this book from the author for review.

For me this was a 3.5*. There were some things I enjoyed and others that kept it from being rated higher.

Likes: Unique twist on travelling, all characters (main and secondary) were interesting, no long involved descriptions of the world, u were tossed in the deep end :)

Puzzlers: The first couple chapters were a little tough to slog through but I kept going and it got better. Example: (view spoiler)
Erin Burns
Apr 15, 2017
Heather
Apr 19, 2017

• Swimming in Puddles: Create an Abundant Life from Limited Circumstances
  • The Lost Order (Cotton Malone, #12)
  • The Company of Demons
  • Anne
  • Beneath Cruel Fathoms (The Bitter Sea Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • Love-Lines
  • Failsafe
  • The Brilliance of Fireflies
  • Every Last Psycho: A Collection of Two Novellas
  • A Matter of Latitude
  • Dark of Night (Glasgow Kiss, #1)
  • Broken Open
  • Mystic Valley Shifters (Mystic Valley Shifters #1-5)
  • The Man in the House (DI Helena Stratton #1)
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Ask Me Anything
Laurel Wanrow loves misty mornings, the smell of freshly dug earth, petting long-haired guinea pigs and staring at the stars. She sees magic in nature and loves to photograph it.

Before kids, she studied and worked as a naturalistsomeone who leads wildflower and other nature walks. During a stint of homeschooling, she turned her writing skills to fiction to share her love of the land, magical