Start by marking “Still Waters” as Want to Read:
Still Waters

Still Waters

Cora Anne Halloway has a history degree and a plan: avoid her own past despite being wait-listed for graduate school. Then her beloved grandmother requests -- and her dispassionate mother insists -- that she spend the summer at Still Waters, the family cottage on Edisto Beach, South Carolina.

Despite its picturesque setting, Still Waters haunts Cora Anne with loss. At Still
Published September 8th 2017 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas

To ask other readers questions about Still Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Waters

Staci
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Solid debut set in South Carolina and dotted with southern charm. Main character Cora Ann struggles with guilt from a childhood tragedy. Her friend at the time was a teenager named Tennessee who was also impacted by the tragedy.

Still Waters is about forgiveness and facing the end of life. I especially loved Cora Ann's grandmother Nan, such a wise and witty woman.
Beth
Still Waters is a lovely debut full of Southern charm, heartrending realism, and endearing characters. Cora Anne Holloway is back in Edisto Beach, South Carolina, a place filled with both joyous and tragic memories for her. Her character growth is a joy to experience. The themes of forgiveness and moving on from tragedy shine in this story, and Cora Anne's emotions feel strong and realistic.

The setting, especially the beach side cottage of Still Waters, takes on a persona all its own. I felt at
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Lindsey Brackett’s debut novel Still Waters is poignant, heartwarming, and romantic! The Lowcountry coast comes to life with the skill of Brackett’s writing, and the cast of compelling characters moves right on in to your heart. So much more than a romance, this is a story of family and faith and forgiveness that will settle over your soul like a warm ocean breeze.

Cora Anne is a very relatable heroine who will welcome you in to her family and hold open the door for you to Nan’s house and the fam
Toni Shiloh
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow. Still Waters was not what I expected at all…and that’s not a bad thing. There is so much depth of emotion in this story it gives one pause. I think my mind is still trying to process everything I read and how I feel afterward.

First, I love the issues Cora Anne goes through. Now I know that sounds completely asinine but I liked that this book wasn’t just a light read. It had plenty food for thought in it.

Second, the scenery is amazing. Ms. Brackett did an amazing job painting Still Waters co
Kimberly Adam
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming...life-affirming...feels like coming home. Those are just some of the descriptions that came to mind as I read this book.

The story centers on Cora Anne, who is reluctantly coming to stay for the summer on Edisto Island with her Nan. Cora Anne hasn't spent much time on Edisto since a tragic event when she was around 10 years old turned it from a fun summer vacation spot to a place of guilt and fear. But Edisto and Nan, along with Cora's childhood friend Tennessee, conspire to make h
Sydney
WOW!! Beautiful, powerful, and inspirational!! Full review coming soon!!!
Amy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still Waters by debut author Lindsey Brackett was such a delightful surprise and refreshing read. I was drawn into Cora Anne’s plight and feelings in regards to the event that scarred her when she was around twelve years old and how that ghost had followed her into her life. As Cora Ann goes back to the place where she never wanted to return at the bequest of her grandmother, she realizes that she must go back and confront her past. What she discovers are family secrets and love that can help he ...more
Julia
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still Waters by Lindsey Brackett is a delightful contemporary Christian novel that deals with love and loss, guilt and forgiveness, secrets and amazing grace. I absolutely adored the warm and welcoming inclusive style of Lindsey Brackett.
The characters were all realistically drawn and likable, with their vulnerabilities and insecurities. My favourite had to be Nan, the matriarch, who just wanted the best for those she loves.
Traumatic events in the past can loom large in the present if we do not
Leslie DeVooght
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still Waters is Lindsey Brackett’s debut novel set on Edisto Island, South Carolina. This story will capture your heart and your mind. You won’t be able to put it down. Lindsey does an amazing job capturing the essence of the low country. She doesn’t just paint a pretty picture with her descriptions. Instead, her characters seamlessly interact with the environment, making the setting more of a character than a place. As a native of coastal Georgia, I felt right at home.
The story unfolds layer b
Judy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Haven’t heard of this author? Don’t let that stop you from checking out this book. If you like stories about families, the South, and the beach, I think you just might love this book as much as I did. Cora Anne is dealing with guilt and frustrations, but don’t we bring a lot of that on ourselves. It was interesting watching her work through the situations in her life. I love the characters in this book. Nan is a southern lady who leads her family. Y’all just might be able to relate to one of mor ...more
Kathy
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

Still Waters is such a good book. It will be one of my favorite books. I cried and cried. The characters are real and emotional. The book delves into secrets, division and love! One of my favorite hymns is used as a calling point for all people. Come Thou Fount of Many Blessings! I recommend this book to anyone that loves a great story.
Kristen Hogrefe
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story and the characters of Edisto Beach, some of whom are too entrenched in secrets, past tragedy, and fear to move forward with their lives. But in the same place that took so much, they can also find forgiveness and a fresh start. Still Waters is a beautiful story of second chances with a redemptive thread. It leaves me wondering and hoping that there will be a sequel.
Heather Iseminger
Still Waters invites you to sink into the serenity of Edisto Beach. On this picturesque island forgiveness is as warm as the summer sand, grace swirls as gentle as the tide's ebb and flow, and love is as healing as the salty sea breeze. This stunning debut from author Lindsey Bracket promises rich stories to treasure for years to come.
Jessie Weaver
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books where the setting is almost a character. And in Lindsey Brackett's debut, Still Waters, Edisto Island definitely qualifies. It seems to breathe life around the main characters of Cora Anne, her grandmother, and Tennessee, the hometown boy vying for Cora Anne's heart.

I also love a book that is so descriptive that I can picture everything and everyone precisely in my head, and this hits that nail on the head for me, too. There aren't overly long passages about nature or anything, but
Randy Tramp
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cora Anne Halloway wants to avoid her past. When her grandmother requests she spend the summer at Still Waters, Cora resists. At her mother's insistence, she goes.

The setting at Still Waters, although seemingly perfect brings back bad memories for Cora. She pushed her toes into the warm sand. Anyone would love to spend a summer at this beautiful place, everyone except Cora Anne who had to resolve her past or live with it for the rest of her life.

Romance: Tennesse offers Cora friendship. First, s
Kerry Johnson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about familial love and forgiveness, Still Waters caught me from the first page and held on until the end. This is a debut novel, but the author's skill with words and her nuance for character and the emotions of the heart were so well done.

Cora Ann, her parents, Grandmother Nan, and especially Tennessee are memorable characters who came alive on the page (and I'd love to read more about--hint, hint).

I appreciate God's grace shown through story, and Still Waters is a lyrical e
Johnnie Alexander
i loved this story and wasn't ready for it to end. And yet, it ended so perfectly. Before that though, the story made me feel at home with the characters--the setting is so real and the characters such a part of it.
Salena
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story of grace, forgiveness, and love, this debut novel is a must-read for everyone.
Sue
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a Yankee transplant who has lived over 30 years in the South - long enough to appreciate that religion is wrapped around everything and prayer is served with every meal. On the night of September 11, 2017, Hurricane Irma was screaming around my mountainside home. She had already cut the power to the house and I found myself reaching for something to read. I remembered I had a debut novel written by a local author on my Kindle. I lit my oil lamp and I read Still Waters while monster trees we ...more
Beckie Burnham
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still Waters by Lindsey P. Brackett was my book club’s selection this month. I chose this book because of the Southern island setting that I knew would suit our club’s anniversary. A good beach read for a late Summer book getaway is what I was expecting. I certainly got that, but I didn’t realize I would also get a book that as one member put it was way more than fluff. Romance is definitely a part of the book’s appeal, but Still Waters, with its emphasis on family, faith, and forgiveness, is a ...more
Debbie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Still Waters" by Lindsey Brackett is one of those books that is really a good book but is really filled with too much reality. I am going to include my Facebook post I post about this book, "Ok, I am so ready to quit reading, yes you read that right, books are getting to be more realistically and not an escape anymore, means they are full of cancer, death and all the real issues of life, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if all these things wasn't in one book but the book I am reading now has it all, ...more
Suzie Waltner
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cora Anne Halloway has a mapped out plan for her life. But when a roadblock is tossed in her way, her Nan offers her an alternative Cora Anne can’t get excited about. Returning to Edisto Beach, a place where so many things went wrong in her life, seems more of a nightmare than an opportunity.

Yet the lure of financing for graduate school lures her to the place she’s avoided for a summer of helping Nan organize the beach home. A summer that just might possibly heal all the hurt Cora Anne has harbo
Denise Hershberger
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brackett's debut novel isn't one to miss. These characters are written with so much depth to their lives that you'll be amazed how many feelings she fits into one book!

I will admit it took me a little bit to get sucked in because I wasn't sure what some of the issues Brackett was alluding to were. But once I started to piece together those issues it wasn't a matter of understanding the backstory but figuring out how the characters were going to overcome all their complex issues.

This book is full
Christy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that this book was about a girl and her grandma, I knew it was one I wanted to read. I didn’t realize just how much I’d love it. I was always a grandma’s girl, so books about girls and their grandmas are for me.

Cora Anne doesn’t have the best relationship with her family. They’ve been through a lot, and a lot of what Cora Anne went through happened at Still Waters. She only goes because she feels like she doesn’t have much choice. Her Nan asked for her help, so she can’t turn her down
Hope W.
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! This story pulled me in quickly and never let go. It's not a suspense or crime story, but still a page-turning story of family, faith, and forgiveness.

Cora Anne is buried under layers of guilt, fear, and hurt. As the tide ebbs away the shore, the beauty of Edisto Beach and the love she finds there wash away the pain and help her learn to live again.

There is romance in the form of Tennessee Watson, a man you'll fall for as quickly as Cora Anne does. He is the perfect anecdote for her
Rachel Dodson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading this book! The setting is wonderful. It has made me want to go to Edisto and visit. This story felt like home to me. I felt like I knew the characters and what they were going through. It made me think of my own southern childhood and all the memories I had of summers growing up with my cousins. I loved the fact that Lindsey named her leading man Tennessee. That's where I grew up so it struck a chord with me. He is a fabulous character too. I loved that he was so forgiving a ...more
Marie Shirley Griffin
It's Edisto

It's been decades since I was on Edisto Island, but the author captured it so well, I was right there, again.

Southern families have secrets and they usually have some serious emotional baggage dating back generations and it does damage almost everyone.

I'm giving this 4 🌟 for knowledge of subject, character shaping, although it must be said, this was the longest "hissy fit" I have slogged through, but I'm old and cranky.
Jason Gerringer
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feel good story

Unlike a lot of other Christian novels I’ve read this one made me feel something. Bible verses and old hymns didn’t seem to be placed in the story just to make it a Christian story. I could feel the struggle of faith and understanding the characters faced.their relationships mirrored actual people instead o stereotypes. I hope this author writes more novels that produce that kind of emotion
Angela
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the first page, Still Waters was a book that I did not want to put down! The story is beautifully written, taking you on a journey of love, loss and forgiveness. As you read, you're immersed in history, family and self discovery all while embracing the beauty of Edisto through Lindsey's words. Still Waters will make you laugh, cry and appreciate the little things in life.
Sandra
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiveness

Wonderful story! The characters are well developed. The story line, dialogue and settings are so well done I wished I lived there and they were my family. The flow is smooth and the dynamics between the characters is perfect! I will be following this author! OUTSTANDING! Highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »