Start by marking “Breakaway (Playmaker Duet, #0.5; Prescott Family, #3; Love In All Places, #5)” as Want to Read:
Breakaway (Playmaker Duet, #0.5; Prescott Family, #3; Love In All Places, #5)

Breakaway (Playmaker Duet 0.5)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Once upon a time, in a faraway place...

I learned that monsters exist
That the dark is meant for fear
That sometimes, you can't even count on yourself

I just have to get past senior year finals, and I can break away-

I can leave the past,
the monsters,
the ghosts,
far, far behind.

I just can't break beforehand.
Kindle Edition
Published February 28th 2017 by Mignon Mykel

To ask other readers questions about Breakaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakaway

Lady Heather
 photo cover.jpeg

Breakaway: A Playmaker Duet Prequel
Release Date: February 28, 2017

photo breakawayComing.jpg

My thoughts

This was a wonderfully written short story which is a part of the Prescott Family; Playmaker Duet Series.
Asher's story is tragic and heartbreaking, and once she finally gets out on her own, she's able to start to take control of her own life.
Asher's journey is just starting, but it was great to see that she was able to connect with good people right away and learn to trust herself and others.
Asher's problem is that sh
Paige
4.5 "Just Starting" Stars

Breakaway was a short novella chronicling the the life of Asher Spence. It's a prequel to the forthcoming Playmaker Duet and sort of the companion to Troublemaker about Asher's future love interest Porter Prescott.

In just a few pages Ms. Mykel really laid bare Asher's turbulent past. It was heartbreaking and hard to read at times but it was an important story to be told. I'm excited to see where Asher goes from here and I'm even more excited to see Porter and Asher toge
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've not heard of this author before so what better way to check her out than a prequel.

This is a quick read. It introduces us to Asher who we will read about in the authors forthcoming series Playmaker Duet. We read of Ashers past and why she is where she is now.

Her story isn't an easy read. It's heartbreaking but it also had to be told.

Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Chasing Away Reality
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a gut-wrenching, emotional, yet uplifting read. Asher's pain and fear was palpable. I'm glad the author didn't glance over her experiences. It was hard at times to read, but you're able to understand more of what Asher went through. I was longing for her to find her way out of the torment that was her life in foster care and find a pseudo family, which she found in Carter. She was such a strong and courageous woman. I'm glad we got to see her background and what made her the woman she t ...more
Aurora (Whoo Gives A Hoot)
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *
16779996_424694524540054_281417525_n
I generously received this BETA copy from the author in exchange for an honest review...

While the Trouble Maker introduced us to Porter, the youngest of the Prescott clan, Breakaway is the second novella in the Playmaker Duet and is told entirely in Asher’s POV.

The extraordinary Mignon Mykel takes her readers on an emotional rollercoaster and shows us a strong message about the struggles that so many children in the foster care system face day i
Diane Lynch
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breakaway (Playmaker Duet 0.5) by Mignon Mykel Mignon Mykel did a wonderful job with BREAKAWAY, the first book in the Playmaker Duet. My heart completely went out to Asher.  What happens to her at the beginning to this story was difficult to read.  I wanted to be able to protect her and felt helpless reading the events unfolded.  This story could have some triggering effects for some people.  Asher is an amazing individual.  I love the meaning behind her tattoos.  Her life seems to be one giant ...more
Teresa Hoag
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overcoming adversity in a powerful manner.

All I can say is wow. This is a powerful tale that introduces a strong character. My heart breaks for the tragic past Asher has. Growing up in foster care she was had to learn to be strong.

We now know Asher's history from before meeting Porter. I can not wait to read how the relationship between Asher an Porter.
Lindsey (Linz Readz)
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, kindle
This was a beautifully shocking prequel novella. To say I was blown away, is an understatement. Miss Mykel was able to write about a very intense and somewhat taboo subject and I couldn’t be more amazed by how beautifully and strongly she stuck with her guns. This was a dark read that I completely devoured in less than an hour.

Reading prequel novellas is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do. Most I have read focus on the main two characters of the series to follow. I was very excited
Diane Lynch
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hockey-romance, ebook
4.5 of 5

Mignon Mykel did a wonderful job with BREAKAWAY, the first book in the Playmaker Duet. My heart completely went out to Asher. What happens to her at the beginning to this story was difficult to read. I wanted to be able to protect her and felt helpless reading the events unfolded. This story could have some triggering effects for some people. Asher is an amazing individual. I love the meaning behind her tattoos. Her life seems to be one giant obstacle to overcome.

I appreciated that Asher
Dani Hodge
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I can not wait to get my hands on Altercation!

This Novella just took me by surprise. I haven't read anything by Mignon Mykel, but this was an amazing start into Asher's journey. It starts out dark, and gritty. So consider yourself warned. But by the end all you want to do is help this girl out!

I enjoyed this short novella, and I I have already pre-ordered Altercation! I don't want to give to much away, so all I will say is I recommend picking this one up and giving it a try! Am glad I did
Teri
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The foster care system has let down too many children and here is one more. Ash has done all she can she just has to make it to graduation. That's not going to be easy. While she sets a plan in motion and starts counting down the days things spiral. Ash just wants out. She meets a few people on the way that change her distorted view of human nature but it doesn't stop her from being watchful of any helping hands.

A well written tale showing what led up to Ash meeting Porter and letting us know wh
Books Laid Bare
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Told from Asher’s point of view this is a little novella that may not take up a lot of your time but will certain make its presence felt.
The author didn’t beat about the bush when laying out the storyline, Asher’s past is front and foremost from the very beginning and I will admit now that it was a far from pleasant reading what she had been through but I think the author was right to deliver it in that way, it ensured that I had a true perception of the woman and what she had experienced.
I app
morgan
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before Asher meets Porter.

Such and interesting and heartbreaking prequel for Asher. This is all before she meets Porter. This girl is brave and a queen!
Carole
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It is nice when you get the background story of a character so you will realize why they act
the way that they do.
Asher's background is just heartbreaking and it is hard to deal with. Porter we met in the
previous books.
I really like the two families and it should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and easy to get caught up in the story. This prequel definitely left we waiting for the next part of the story.
Jennifer Richey
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recieved a arc of breakaway! Oh wow poor Genevieve she went through a lot as a foster kid! Her foster dad rapes her and thinks it's okay. She finally escapes and meets a boy and that's when we will find out in the next story!! Very good story!!
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description
A quick, emotionally-packed start to the series…
“So welcome to the family, sis…”
Such simple words but given what the heroine of this story has already gone through, they are words she never thought to hear… To get to this place Asher has had to go through hell, deal with things no one should ever have to. The author puts you in her shoes to the point you can hear the blood pounding in her head as she suffers and endures….
Despite all that she has gone through and continues to deal with, despite h
Nicola
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This was a very powerful dark read that sent chills up my spine. Why? Because it happens; simple as that.

We meet Asher and learn of her life before now and why she is how she is. What she has been through and how she survived. There isn't much storyline to this novella because it's a prequel to the series, with this we are just setting the scene and getting to know the main characters background.

Asher was the only real character in this novella that the author concentrated on. I found myself t
Spunky N Sassy
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 5.0

~~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

Genevieve "Asher" Spencer found out the hard way that monsters existed. Being a foster kid for all of her life she knew the struggles of bouncing from home to home. Her last home was the worst and she decided she was going to break away from the pain of the hell on earth her young life at 17 years old had become.

I have to say that even with the content of this book that I loved it. Asher is a strong young woman who will fight to
Stefanie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a flawlessly written story with all the real life feel behind it. I was hooked to this book from the very first page and couldn't put it down. I absolutely love Asher. There is something to be said about a strong female character that you can't help but to connect with. She's landed in the house of the Prescott's where she meets a handsome man! I can't wait to read the next story to see where it takes us.
Nicole
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway by Mignon Mykel is a coming of age/origin story novella and acts as a prequel to the upcoming Playmaker Duet (Altercation and Holding) and also slides in at book 3 of the Prescott Family series.

I loved this novella for its Heartbreaking honesty. It tells the story of 17 year old Genevieve Asher Spencer looking to be emancipated, graduating high school and leaving the Tennessee town that she's been passed around in from foster family to foster family.

Emancipation brings Genevieve, now
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog

Beth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my 1st book read written by this author, a new reader that's me, I have add a bunch of her books to my TBR list. I will be checking out more of her very very soon. I am curious about other of her books to see if they have a similar feel or thought behind them, writing style, etc.? I am curious to see where Asher's journey will go??! short Novella. I must say I was a bit lost or that I feel some of the story is missing or left untold? I wonder if I am the only one to feel this way at this ...more
Jessica
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway is an intriguing fast read. Asher is a character that you want to know more about and see how life turns out for her. Like many of Mignon Mykel's books, it was one I could not put down until I finished. The story plot contains some dark moments that were well delivered and thought out. Asher's life is just beginning and the story line makes you eager and excited for what is next in her life! Can't wait for the next book in the series!!!
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Mignon Mykel and I was blown away. This is what that author calls a novelette, shorter than a novella length book, and the story she develops inside the few pages was heartbreaking and full of strength all at the same time. We are introduced to Asher, who will be the heroine in Altercation, and learn her story and how she became connected with the Prescott family. Her story is not easy and has very dark moments.
Sarah Dale
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
First book I've read from this author and even though it's just a Novella I'm now hooked on Mignon Mykel's style of writing.

For a short book this was a seriously emotional heartbreaking read. Some readers may have trouble reading this as it has a dark side to it. Once I started this book offing put it down till I had finished.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next in the series as this was an amazing start.

⭐I voluntarily reviewed an AdvanceReader Copy of his book in exchange for an honest
A
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this novella from the author in exchange for an honest review :) I think it's gonna be the shortest review I have ever written, mainly because it was one of the shortest story I've ever read... this novella, or to be honest it's something between a short story and a novella gives us a glimpse into Asher's past... she will be the heroine of the next full lenght novel in the Prescott family series... we already got a glimpse of Porter, the hero of that book... or should I say a two ...more
Christine
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway by Mignon Mykel is Asher's prequel story before we get to dive into her and Porter's story in the upcoming Playmaker Duet. Breakaway is a heartbreaking, emotional story about breaking free from a horrible place emotional and physically to find a safe place. This novelette may be quick read but an important one bringing us along side with Porter's story in Trouble Maker. Asher's story may have some strong triggers for sexual assault for some readers so please beware. These scenes are ha ...more
FunUndertheCovers
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This introduction to Asher had me liking her immediately...I love a kick ass female and I knew she was going to be a force to be reckoned with! Leaving a less than desirable life behind (be warned that some scenes are hard to read), Asher embarks on a journey to wherever the road takes her. After a small car accident, she finds herself being welcomed into the Prescott family and meeting a certain good looking Porter Prescott. After being introduced to him in Troublemaker, I can't wait to read Po ...more
Vicki
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From opening this novella and reading the very wisely worded note from the author I knew this book was going to a rough ride but still I wasn't prepared for the journey I have travelled reading this. Mignon you have shattered my heart and soul into a thousand pieces.

This novella deals with dark elements and triggers for some people but I fully respect Mignon for touching on these areas and giving us the in depth look into Asher's past, the past that has made her who she is today, and to underst
« previous 1 3 next »

Playmaker Duet (2 books)
  • Altercation (Playmaker Duet, #1; Prescott Family, #4; Love In All Places, #6)
  • Holding (Playmaker #2; Prescott Family #5)