Start by marking “Betrayal (Sea Assassins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal (Sea Assassins, #1)

Betrayal

(Sea Assassins #1)

On a calm November evening, a ship disappears off the coast of Washington without a trace...

When Darcy Davies finds a handsome man washed up on the beach, he’s three things: injured, naked, and rude. And he’s got a few demands. Somewhere safe. No hospital.

Tell no one.

While Darcy takes him in, she’s no fool. She knows he was involved in whatever happened at sea that night.
ebook
Published 2017 by Caldwell Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

Start your review of Betrayal (Sea Assassins, #1)
Bibi
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
It has a shark shifter and, surprisingly, I enjoyed it.
Danielle
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

What happens when you find a naked, hot, and gruff man on the beach near your house?

Well, naturally you drag his fine ass home. Especially when he promises to pay you in sex-- I mean money. Sometimes my mind likes to make up its own scenarios.

"Rule number one when inviting a possible criminal into your home was to not kiss them, no matter how hot they were."

Just to be clear - she kisses him.

Gabriel was just the hero I love! He was sometimes gruff - sometimes sarcastic. But the most importa
Snow
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it

3.5 'Assassins of the sea' stars

When one foggy morning, on her usual walks down the beach with her dog Oscar, Darcy Davies, finds a naked man with two gushing wounds, washed up on the beach, she's shocked but her human instincts rush in and she decides to help the man, and get him to a hospital. But he's adamantly against going to the hospital and to persuade her not to take him there, he offers her money to cover for all the trouble of keeping him safe in her own house environment. Being a bit
Beth
While walking her dog in the morning, Darcy discovers a man on the beach, cut up and naked. She wants to get him medical help but he refuses asking that she hide him in her home while he recuperates. Being short on cash for her sisters college tuition, Darcy agrees to let Gabriel staying with her. Which she quickly questions because they get on like water and oil.

Darcy is concerned by Gabriel's need to be hidden and why he was left for dead on the beach.

Meanwhile, a somewhat friend/neighbor, Na
Cece Rose

The Basics:
Genre: PNR
Series or Standalone: Series. (But I have a feeling the next book will focus on a different character.)
Rating: 3.75 Stars.

Short, sweet, with a bit of action.

The story focuses on Darcy and Gabriel, Darcy finds Gabe injured and naked on the beach while on her morning walk with her dog. Despite being injured and in a thoroughly vulnerable position, he remains himself enough to make demands and offer up money in exchange for her help in getting somewhere safe and he defi
Aly
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find a naked man laying on the beach? Yes Please! lol, ok so maybe only in great books can I dream with authors like this one. I would be a little suspicious of he wants to come home with me and heal and I should tell no one. Well this book caught peaked my interest for sure. I wanted to read what happened next. He may heal quickly too??? maybe??? You will have to find out. I enjoyed this book. * I received this free copy and this is my honest review*
Vicki
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-paranormal
I did not see this one coming. I was in for a shock when the truth came out. I happened to be so curious and so attracted to Gabriel by this time, I was fine with whatever home truth he had to share.

Darcy is an opinionated and loving woman that thinks she is much stronger than she has to be. She is snarky and humorous and I loved when she and Gabe got into cutting matches.

Really good read with unexpected moments.
Cat Imb || The Reading Cat ||
I received an ARC of this from the author book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Danielle Hardgrave!

Holy poopidooders that ending! What a cliffhanger! Okay, let's rewind the tape *insert rewind noise here* and start from the beginning.

Darcy is such a sassy female lead and I really liked reading about her. That being said, she did come off as harsh for someone who tends to like people and not be able to let go of them. Due to that, I didn't really like her until a third of the way thro
Louise
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My thanks go to the author for the recommendation of this book.

If you've read my blog before you may have seen that I have previously read another series by this same author and I bloody loved it. Very much up my alley, street and avenue in terms of genre. Paranormal romance is one of my favourite genres and I love all different aspects of it, however on reading the blurb for this and realising it was about shark shifters I was really taken aback. I've never read anything with this type of shift
Inishowen Cailín
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it

A short, sweet story with some suspense towards the end.

The story started out well, grabbed my attention and held it for the first half of the book however it got a little bit slow in the middle.
The time that Gabe and Darcy spent playing house and getting to know each other was cute but it slowed the pace of the story down a lot. I would have liked something else to be happening to break up the monotony of their days. I kept waiting for them to give in to their attraction to each other
P Leslie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinion stated are solely my own and no one else's*

3.5 -4 stars

I really enjoyed Betrayal; it had suspense, mystery, and a sizzling romance.

I liked both characters; their constant bickering, sass and rudeness flying back and forth was definitely entertaining. The sexual tension was thick and palpable; intensifying their attraction. I think the only thing that bothered me was Darcy trying to bleed money out of Gabe which, didn't sit well with m
Tracey

Gabe is a shark shifter, his injured and naked on a beach.

Darcy has a surprise on her morning walk, a naked man who is badly injured, he talks her into taking him in, well offers her money.

You could say the relationship is a little prickly to begin with but the prickliness turns more fun as the days pass.

I liked both the main characters I even liked the 'baddie' I know I shouldn't but there you go.

I would have liked a little more q&a between Darcy and Gabe as his a shifter and his sh
Whispers From
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
While out walking her dog on the beach, Darcy, a bartender and book designer, finds a naked man washed ashore. He is badly injured but refuses to go to hospital. She takes him back to her little house and gets him cleaned and bandaged up.

Gabriel is an assassin and was betrayed by his partner and clan member. He doesn't take long to heal, faster than a normal person. He thinks Darcy is just another greedy person because she charges him five thousand dollars for him to stay at her place. But the
Lisa
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darcy Davies finds a handsome injured man washed up on the beach and everything changes from that moment on. Darcy takes Gabriel Barnes in and helps him in more ways than his physical wounds. Their relationship evolves over time.
I really liked the dynamic between Darcy and Gabe and enjoyed their story. I typically am not interested in paranormal theme stories, but this had a slow reveal to the paranormal activity so I was hooked on Gabe before that was introduced.
Be warned...the epilogue ends
Katie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Betrayal by Danielle Hardgrave
4 star review
Read and reviewed on behalf of 2 girls who love books blog.
I was intrigued by this book after I read the synopsis. I wasn’t sure what I was going to get but what I got was something good! I really enjoyed the story! It was totally different to anything I have read before. Yes it was rushed in a few places but I still liked it. There were some good twists that I certainly didn’t see coming. I loved the relationship between Darcy and Gabriel. Their relati
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want t thank the author for providing me a copy of this book!

Wow I discovered Hardgrave when I read to trust a wold and let me say after reading a second book by her I am that much more in love with her naughty paranormal romances. She is fantastic at writing and this story was pretty short.... and it did not disappoint.

Well I was disappointed that I did not have another 2000 pages to read of this story but hey you can't always get what you want right?

This story was pretty well developed fo
Paula
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Needs editing, a few errors... Still enjoyed it :) Curious to read Nate's story.
R.G.
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The best part of this book is how it steps away from the pack. It's not the same ol' werewolf and vampire sort of books, though it is in the same world as those stories that Hardgrave has already told. I have definitely never read about shark shifters before, and I liked that they're not even like other shifters out there. It makes sense as they point out that others are changing from one mammal to another, while they're basically turning into a fish. This makes for an interesting new look into ...more
Samantha MacLeod
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of authors who can write amazingly sensual, passionate erotic scenes and create awesome, slow-burn sexual tension.

But I've never read anyone who can blend that kind of sexual chemistry with actual laugh-out-loud humor like Danielle Hardgrave.

I loved the first two books of Hardgrave's Unnatural Alliances series, which mix vampires, werewolves, Norse mythology, and an absolutely crackling sense of humor. In Betrayal, the first book of the Sea Assassins Trilogy, Hardgrave takes the
Mary  Meredith
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first story by this author. I overall enjoyed the story, and while it was a 4 star read for me, I do intend to grab book two. This one just took longer than I like to hook, line, and sink me in to the story. It was a little slow but I honestly feel that relates to the need to divulge the back story and lay framework for the series. There are questions that are not answered and I'm hoping carry over in to book 2 for a resolution. It definitely has made me want to know what happens.
Dar
Monica
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I voluntarily reviewed a gifted copy of this book.

I really enjoyed the blurb and couldnt wait to read it. It was really easy to read and kept my attention. I loved the banter between Gabriel and Darcy. She really didnt put up with his crap. Gave as good as she got. My issue with it is it read like a contemporary romance book. Paranormal didnt really play a big part in it. I think it would have been better received had it been without the aspect of Paranormal. Dont get me wrong I love PRN its my
Leslie OBrien
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Danielle Hargrave’s “Betrayal” introduces us to a different kind of shape shifter. Well, at least one that isn’t nearly as common. When Darcy rescues Gabe, it most definitely isn’t love at first sight. But what starts as a business transaction soon develops into something much more. Except Gabe has a very big secret that will come out and when it does, will he lose her forever?

I enjoy a good paranormal romance and “Betrayal” was enjoyable for many reasons. I particularly liked how they both misj
Sherry Westendorf
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I give it a high rating because I like the concept of it and the excitement, fun and suspense. I like it when a woman has enough sass to not take any guff from the male. There is a lot of intrigue and suspense. One you have to read to know what it going on. I recommend it. I was given a review copy and voluntarily review it.
Sandra Anderson
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky find!

Found this book on a list that contains a few of my fave shifter authors. Hadn't read a shark-hero before; I was intrigued. The characters draw you in, and the ending was not what I expected. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!!
Lisa Book Stacks
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel

He might look like an angel but he comes from the sea -a shark shifter trained to kill. Book 1 sets up a new series of killers that are shifter and the women they fall in love with.
Scarlet Scorpion
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was very predictable. Easy read few grammatical errors. Lite fare little real drama but palatable. This is to be a trilogy I need a lot more for a third book.
Katie
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

A good quick read.
Sarah Greenwood
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What better way to get over my fear of sharks than reading a shark shifter romance? Now I love shifter stories so lets see how I cope with the shark part. Here’s hoping they stay on land for the most part. Well fingers crossed anyway.

Talk about a hottie being swept right up to your feet, a nice looking naked one to boot. It’s not just muscles and hotness he’s packing but very bad looking wounds too. Looks like something took a bite out of him and it’s not till later that you find out how real th
Smashlybookalicousreviewingchicks
Darcy is a young women who has had some hard things happen in her life. With her parents gone she was left to help raise her sister who is now in college. So with the thought of money always on her mind she eagerly accepts money from a stranger on the beach. Little did she k ow that she was going to get caught up in a feud that would change her life forever. She is super kind and generous. Her dog is a star as well. I loved that she was well rounded that she knew about tough times and wasn't goi ...more
Amy
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Darcy finds a badly hurt man on the beach. He demands her to take him to her place. It's there that she learns who he is. His name is Gabriel, or Gabe as she calls him. He is demanding, eats a lot, and can be rude. However, he needs a place that is safe to rest and her place will do. Over a few days they get to know each other. Gabe entrusts her with a secret that he has told no one. They learn their connection of Nate.

Gabe also finds that he enjoys being with Darcy and vice versa. Things heat
Danielle Hardgrave can find romance anywhere. While obtaining her History degree, she spent more time than she'd care to admit speculating on the love lives of famous historical tyrants.

She was born and raised in Victoria, BC, a small coastal city on a small island in the giant country of Canada. She spends most of her time writing, reading, or getting into trouble with her roommate.

Caldwell Pub

Sea Assassins (2 books)
  • Redemption (Sea Assassins #2)