Start by marking “The Path of Duty” as Want to Read:
The Path of Duty

The Path of Duty

(Siobhan Dunmoore #2)

Duty, honour, loyalty. What meaning did those words still hold in the midst of a stalemated interstellar war where the difference between the enemy and ones own leadership was sometimes paper thin? Unfairly relegated to punishment duty far from the battle lines and still pursued by her past, Siobhan Dunmoore was ordered to sail her ship deep into pirate-infested space on a ...more
ebook
Published January 17th 2017 by Eric Thomson (first published July 25th 2015)

Start your review of The Path of Duty
Graeme Tindale
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my review of the first book in the series, I outlined the strengths and the excellent plot created by the author. I very much enjoyed that book and finished my review by wondering whether he could maintain the interest and equality in the sequel. I am pleased to say that I enjoyed this book as much. The character continues to hold my interest and the depth and variation of the plots are very strong. The story never lets up while there is very little love interest in the book, there are ...more
Lucy Dosch
Book 2 lacks a bit of the excitement of the first book, but is big on suspense.

I listened to an audiobook so spelling doesnt count.

Captain Siohban Dunmoore and her crew of the Stingray are now working together flawlessly. They have bonded and the crew have come to trust their new captain after the abuse of power by their former captain.

When the Stingray answers the distress call of a disabled ship, she finds the Nico Maru abandoned by its crew, the memory banks wiped and the ship suddenly rigged
David P. Duffy
Simplistic, Quick SciFi Read

"The Path of Duty, Siobhan Dunmoore Book 2," continues the simplistic, yet enjoyable, quick SciFi read of the series.

The storyline has the determined, competent, maverick and flawed heroine, Siobhan Dunmoore, skippering her redeemed crew and aging space Navy frigate, into new territory. A murky environment of espionage, political intrigue, a possible military coup against the Earth based Commonwealth Government, ancient alien artifacts, are the backdrop of latest
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
For me, this book was 3.5 stars. I really enjoy this author's writing and story lines. I particularly like the military aspect of the story and the interaction between the main characters. As with the first book, there was some mystery in the story which was enjoyable. My only overall disappointment was that there was not as much action as I'd hoped for. There was a bit of ship action, but that bit of gritty face to face action was absent. I wanted to see our hero's have to fight it out a little ...more
Jason
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Path of Duty is an outstanding Procedural Military Sci-Fi story, once again following Commander Siobhan Dunmore. Although she is a Commander, she is currently the Captain of the Stingray, the last of the Type 203 Frigates on the Front. In the first book, Dunmore was given the Stingray more as a punishment, as the ship was a total disgrace, its former Captain having been a coward, a bully, and a stain on the good name of the Navy.
Dunmore not only rallied the crew, she manages to clear out the
Salvatore
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book just like the first one

Pros:

Consistent characters. Only one POV with sneak peaks to what some characters think is a good tool to flesh things out.
Just the fact you are not swamped with POV's is a quality of it's own these last few years.
Tech is pretty good but there were things that should not happen as described in space. I don't want to spoil it. It's minor stuff when it comes to the book as a whole.
Lots of action.
Well described universe but you should most likely read book 1 first
Andreas
Commander Dunmoore and the Stingray are dispatched to the arse end of space and get stuck with convoy duty. There is mystery afoot as a freighter is found abandoned, and other ships from the same company seem involved in shady operations. While seeking answers, Stingray stumbles on a top-secret Navy operation at a backwater planet, and the Admiral in charge is a real character.

While the first book in the series was a rather conventional beginning, the story in this one is more out there, and
Nick Brett
Enjoyable series, space opera with a female Hornblower being brave and fearless in space.
Here our intrepid captain is given a new command and her and her ship Stingray are sent away to keep them out of trouble. The theme of this very good series is that she always finds some kind of trouble, here she finds herself dealing with an officially sanctioned despot, does she obey orders or do what she feels is right?
Strong characters and fast moving action. Its not deep or complex, but its a lot of
astaliegurec
Eric Thomson's 2015 novel "Siobhan Dunmoore, Book 2: Path of Duty, The" is mostly written like the first book in the series, but it just doesn't have the pizzazz that that first book had. There's nothing really wrong with the book. But, a fairly obvious plot involving yet another major conspiracy and a not-very satisfying ending leaves me a bit underwhelmed. So, I'm rating this one at a mere OK 3 stars out of 5. I'd suggest trying it from the library before buying it.
David Willoughby
Awesome three book space adventure

Enjoyed all three books in this series. Heroine suffered many of the qualms about herself and life as leaders do in real life. If you enjoy good stories with a happy ending then you will enjoy this series very much. I did.
Dale (Aus)
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this

This is driven by the story and the characters and not the action which fits where it needs to be. I like the non reliance on technical explanations that often bog some stories down.
Mhorg
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophomore slump

While the characters are still memorable, this story dealing with Siobhan getting in trouble by being recruited by an admiral with plans of his own for ending the war, drags a bit too much and had a bit too best of an ending. I'm hoping book 3 will be better.
Neeuqdrazil
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm devouring these.
Billie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot felt very similar to the last one. Which was disappointing
Shane
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-scifi
Three and a half stars. An interesting revision of "Heart of Darkness" in space. The characters remain colorful but don't develop much more. The pacing is slow at times, but the book keeps interest even if it is predictable.
marz
More political intrigue than space adventure, but still interesting enough to keep me intrigued.
Volpot
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars. OK, but I might not read the next in the series.
Priscilla Gray
Feb 26, 2020
Sandra Keller
Nov 05, 2017

• Conviction
  • Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • Crusade (Exile Book 3)
  • Their Last Full Measure (A Learning Experience, #6)
  • Ruined Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, Book 11)
  • Shield of Terra (Light of Terra, #2)
  • Raven's Peace (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 1)
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • Refuge (Exile Book 2)
  • Darkness Beyond  (Light of Terra, #1)
  • Kestrel Class (Kestrel Class Saga Book 1)
  • Exile
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • ...Till It's Over! (Cole & Srexx #2)
  • A Question of Faith
  • Jump Point: Kestrel Class Saga Book 2
  • The Forgotten Empire: Banishment: Book One
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx #3)
Eric Thomson is my pen name. I'm a former Canadian soldier who spent more years in uniform than he expected, serving in both the Regular Army (Infantry) and the Army Reserve (Armoured Corps). I spent several years as an Information Technology executive for the Canadian government before leaving the bowels of the demented bureaucracy to become a full-time author.

I've been a voracious reader of

Siobhan Dunmoore (6 books)
  • No Honor in Death
  • Like Stars in Heaven
  • Victory's Bright Dawn
  • Without Mercy
  • When the Guns Roar (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 6)

News & Interviews

“Whatever doesn't kill me has made a bad tactical mistake?” 1 likes
“Kipling.  Yes, he's got a good take on that subject, as I recall.  It goes: It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and chuck him out the brute, but it's 'Saviour of his Country,' when the guns begin to shoot!” 0 likes