Start by marking “Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me” as Want to Read:
Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me

Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me

Have you ever wished you could receive a little guidance from your favorite book boyfriend? Ever dreamed of being the Chosen One in a YA novel? Want to know all the secrets of surviving the dreaded plot twist?

Or maybe you're just really confused about what "opal-tinted, luminous cerulean orbs" actually are?

Well, popular Twitter personality @broodingYAhero is here to help a
Published October 17th 2017 by Skypony Press

To ask other readers questions about Brooding YA Hero, please sign up.
Carrie DiRisio Yay! As of right now, we know it will be coming out in Spring/Summer of this year. Broody's been very busy catching clumsy protagonists in his strong…moreYay! As of right now, we know it will be coming out in Spring/Summer of this year. Broody's been very busy catching clumsy protagonists in his strong strong arms, and suppressing his emotions. Follow me on social media for updates on publication date!(less)
Carrie DiRisio Thank you! Broody and I are very excited about this book, which will be told in Broody's voice. In addition to chapters on reaching main character…moreThank you! Broody and I are very excited about this book, which will be told in Broody's voice. In addition to chapters on reaching main character level awesomeness, there will also be fun quizzes, lists, and games!(less)

Cait • A Page with a View
Oh, this was hilarious and SO necessary. If you've been following the Brooding YA Hero Twitter account, then you'll have a general idea of what to expect here. Total sass and affectionate ridiculing of the books we all love, while at the same time highlighting some VERY IMPORTANT THINGS.

It's told from the POV of Broody, who's trying to write his own story since authors currently aren't all picking him to be the quarterback, prince, vampire, or whatever typical character he usually plays in ever
Josu Grilli
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-1-enero
Wow.

Me esperaba un libro lleno de comedia y me he encontrado una guía que me ha hecho aprender muchísimo. Claro que es mediante el humor, pero es probablemente lo más original que he leído en años. (Junto quizá, a Libro)

En sí este libro se concibe como una guía para convertirse en personaje principal. Te enseña a seguir paso por paso los clichés más conocidos y repetidos de la literatura juvenil, y por tanto, te hace ver sus fallos y el poco sentido del que muchos de ellos carecen.

De hecho, en
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Update 12.15.17 → Lowered to 3 stars after rereading excerpts and realizing how incredibly repetitive the writing actually is. :/

---

"Young adult fiction is potential captured and frozen - a bright bolt of lightning caught on the page for everyone to read. It is both universal and incredibly personal, changeable and yet constant."

If you've ever visited the Brooding YA Hero twitter bio, you're already familiar with the snark, irony, and self-aware sense of humor that comes with the writing. This b
✨    jamieson   ✨
Oh boy, it's here and it's sassy.

list of not so subtly dragged authors
• William Shakespeare
• Stephanie Meyer
• Cassandra Clare
• J.K Rowling
• John Green
• Jane Austen
• AND MORE

So Brooding YA Hero is one of my favourite bookish twitters. The tweets that come out of it are always simultaneously funny and perceptive of the general YA community. I was excited to read this: I expected major sass, a bit of lowkey dragging and tea to be spilt all over the place.

Alone in his room, Broody McHottiepants
Katie  Hanna
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
WELL THIS MADE ME LAUGH.

A lot.

It also made me think, a lot.

And what more, really, do you look for in a book?
Josh
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard not to fall in love with Broody.

I got to check out the first couple chapters, and if you're a fan of Broody's twitter feed, you're going to enjoy this. Can't wait for the rest!
alice (arctic books)
I adore @broodingYAhero on Twitter, and I was so excited when I found out there was going to be a book. This novel is so much fun; it included a bunch of lists that encapsulated many heroes, including the main character, love interest, villain, and everything in-between. There were many fun quizzes, and a LOT of tea was spilled.

If you want a good laugh or a break from the cookie-cutter contemporaries and fantasies, be sure to check this one out. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Thanks to Skyhorse Pub
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Carrie DiRisio is coming to my local bookstore in February so I'll have to read it by then !!
Nikki (Book Allure)
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received an ARC from Skypony Press in exchange for an honest review.

“Did I do something wrong?” Well. That was a given. He usually did at least fifteen things wrong per book, but only in a swoony, romantic way, where all could be fixed when he took off his shirt.

I expected Brooding YA Hero only to dissect every YA character I have ever read about–which it did–but I wasn’t expecting a plot! The story is about Broody McHottiepants writing his own book after being denied a role by the Author.

Th
Whispering Stories
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Nia on www.whisperingstories.com

This book has been getting some excellent buzz on Twitter – so much so that even I was aware of it! I’ve even been following @broodingYAhero for a while now, which is very entertaining and filled with tongue-in-cheek pearls of wisdom about the YA genre.

Funnily enough, YA isn’t normally by bag but there’s always the odd one that catches my eye (not only because YA titles seem to get the prettiest covers) and this one looked too funny to pass up. It
Angelica
Ever since my friend showed me the Brooding YA Hero twitter page, I knew I had to read this.

This book is a satirical breakdown of how most YA novels are written and it brilliantly points out many topics that definitely need to be discussed.

It is a criticism on the harmful tropes authors use in YA, making fun of lazy writing and cliched development. It also speaks a lot about the stereotypes and plain lack of diversity that goes into writing YA, especially when most writers are white and straig
Julie Zantopoulos
I got 45% of the way through the physical book and had to stop reading it. I understand what the book was going for but for me, it seriously missed the mark. I don't like using a star rating on a book I DNF'd but this was just awful. It wasn't a story so much as a satirical textbook for YA authors/readers. It wasn't particularly inventive and didn't say anything that those who read YA a lot haven't said already, it just condensed it all into one book.

That's not to say it's not accurate, it is,
Ann Mellor
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this account!!! I can't wait for this book!
Nikki Sojkowski
I've been chosen as one of @broodingYAhero's street team members for their new book called Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me. If you don’t know anything about the swoonworthy guy, you should head on over to @broodingYAhero on twitter to get a taste for his tweets. You won’t regret it, and soon we’ll be in competition for his attention. I first met the amatory and effulgent character when I first joined twitter last year. Relatively new to the book blogging com ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
I was so excited for this book to be quite honest. It is just a super cute idea and we all have a soft spot for Broody in our hearts. He always spills tea in his Twitter and calls out authors/storylines/plots/tropes use in books and defends many stuff as well. This book is a mix of that. It's like a fun How Not To guide to write main characters.

Expect lots of fun quizzes, recipes, A LOT spilling of tea and Broody is here to reveal all the secrets of the universe and the bland storylines authors
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
OMG this book is already out and I didn’t even realize!? Like I need to get this soon!

@broodingYAhero Is writing a self-help style book? Alright I am ready to laugh my ass off =D
Melissa Chung
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I want to thank Sky Pony Press for sending this book to me for free for an honest review. I received this book a few months ago and have only now gotten around to reading it. This book was super fun to read. I'm giving it 4.25 stars. It really was on it's way to being 5 stars, but at times it got a little redundant.

What is this book you might ask? The cover is so appealing with it's cute character smirking on the cover and the light blue background. Well it's a little bit of YA fiction and a li
Anna (Ink of Books)
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bücherregal
Bestätigt meine Sicht auf YA sehr, öffnete aber auch in manchen Dingen die Augen.
Mal sehen, wie viel YA ich je werde wieder lesen können, ohne es in Kategorien einzuteilen...
Faith Simon
This is really funny, witty and completely sarcastic. The author does a great job of turning popular book tropes into a checklist of requirements in order to becoming a main character as awesome as Mr. Broody. Poking fun at popular tropes and the misogyny and toxic masculinity behind them, this book is rightfully hilarious, and quite an original concept!
Unfortunately, I just got too bored to finish. This book is great, though I wasn’t really entertained. With no plotline and nothing really goin
Līga Sproģe
9.5/10, truly fantastic!

description

Šis bija negaidīti labi! Kādu laiku atpakaļ twitter parādījās lielisks parodijkonts Brooding YA Hero, kurš gaumīgi pavilka uz zoba populāras klišejas jauniešu literatūrā. Protams, tas ātri vien kļuva mežonīgi populārs. Tā veidotāja Carrie Ann DiRisio pat saņēma piedāvājumu izveidot grāmatu.

Te sākās āķīgākā daļa - ja, tas parodijkonts ir foršs, bet kā no atsevišķiem tvītiem izveidot materiālu grāmatai? Es no sākuma šaubījos, vai rezultāts būs veiksmīgs.

Bet ohhhhh, cik veik
Dvorah
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was very fortunate to get an ARC of Broody's new book, and oh my gosh, guys. This book.

The premise is deceptively simple: Twitter's very own brooding book boyfriend is going to teach us how to become a Main Character. But there are so many layers. It's one part self-help book, two parts social commentary, with a dash of writer's guide and lots of sass.
Perhaps most impressively, it pulls off a consistent humor, all while moving between three different narrative voices that build and comment on
r.
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute joy. Broody is a wonderful main character, laugh out loud funny. But the book isn't just a tongue-in-cheek look at YA tropes. It also touches on some major issues, but in a very sensitive way. In addition, there are such neat sections, such as fun quizzes.

I also like how Broody breaks down parts of books, story structure, and fandom into fun, bite-sized pieces.

I have the ARC, so I didn't get to see all the lovely artwork yet (I've pre-ordered my copy of the finished boo
Lauren Hopkins
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I get the twitter account but if you're attempting to dismantle YA tropes and really hit home the point of diversity it would really help if your own book gave more than 5 pages total to diverse characters itself. I don't want to hear your moral through the very thing you're rallying against. Writing the whole story as "the problem" and then in the last 4-pages doing a character lamentation as you finally realize the problem doesn't change the fact that I wasted 150-pages on the exact same shit.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
I have been looking forward to this book from the moment that I heard @broodingYAhero was getting his own book! If you have followed along with any of Broody’s tweets, you will know exactly what I mean. I have a feeling that this book will have a lot of humorous moments and lots of fun pokes at some of the tropes that we see in YA. Best of all, it stars a swoon-worthy guy, so I am totally on board for this one!
Lauren Stoolfire
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, young-adult
Read a lot of YA fiction and/ or follow the author(s) on Twitter? Then, you absolutely need this hilarious and necessary book in your life. The author does a fantastic job of translating the tone of Broody's tweets into a full length book. Blondie definitely steals the show, and, you know what? After all this talk of werelemurs, I wouldn't mind seeing one!
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jul 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Omg I've been following @broodingYAhero for ages but I didn't know there was a book coming!!! Anyway this is gonna be the best thing ever I just know it.
Laura Anderson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to score an arc of this book, and I could NOT. STOP. LAUGHING. And thinking.
The sentences are quippy and quotable, and the characters are laugh-out-loud hilarious, but that's all just trappings to a truly thought-provoking and challenging satire on the books we love, the books we hate, and the books we love to hate.

The book begins as Broodie McHottiepants is dumped by an Author, so he comes to the conclusion he should probably write his own book on what he knows best- how to b
☽ TheBibliotheque
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-arc
"And your clothing budget will skyrocket because every time you pose dramatically for a book cover, all your buttons will fly off"

Carrrie Ann DiRisio, I seriously wish we were best friends.

This book is something else. Something brilliant, something loaded with the most delicious irony and something absolutely hilarious. If you are one of these YA readers that even if they appreciate the perfection of the YA hero, they often roll their eyes at all the cliches surrounding this sometimes stereotypi
Stacy Fetters
"At the very least, don't you want to spend more time with me when you're awake and not just when I'm romantically/ creepily/ obsessively watching you slumber from outside your window?"

We have all seen Broody's twitter and we all fell madly in love with him. With his peckish good looks and his one liners that would melt the underwear off the Queen. Most of us craved more of this sensation. Now is your chance to get an even closer look at him in his full glory.

It was quite charming and funny a
Carrie Ann DiRisio is a YA writer and creator of @BroodingYAHero. She lives in Pittsburgh, PA with one large fluffy cat, and is currently pursuing her masters in Digital Marketing, although her true dream is to become a Disney Villainess, complete with a really snazzy gown.
In addition to writing and plans for world domination, she also enjoys running, coffee, Krav Maga, and knitting.
“If you’re a girl in a fantasy novel, be sure to announce loudly how you just want to have adventures and sword fights, and declare your hatred for needlepoint often. It is a simple fact that any female character in a patriarchy-based fantasy novel who actually enjoys needlepoint will not be a heroine. It’s almost like we demean women who enjoy activities typically coded as feminine. Weird.” 4 likes
“You’re always a main character, remember? Ignore anyone, and any story, that doesn’t make you feel like one.” 1 likes