Start by marking “Goodbye Days” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Days

Goodbye Days

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  5,470 Ratings  ·  1,446 Reviews
“Gorgeous, heartbreaking, and ultimately life-affirming,” says Nicola Yoon, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Everything, Everything and The Sun Is Also A Star, of this novel about finding strength and hope after tragedy. Perfect for fans of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Looking for Alaska.

Carver Briggs never thought a simple text would cause a fatal crash,
Published March 7th 2017 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Days, please sign up.
Amy There is occasional profanity in the book, and slang references to erections once or twice, and one conversation that references masturbation in a…moreThere is occasional profanity in the book, and slang references to erections once or twice, and one conversation that references masturbation in a joking style. (less)
Jared Irving 7th grade would be where i recommend it from the preview i read

Larry H
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Where are you guys? Text me back?"

Carver Briggs sent that text to his best friend Mars, who was driving home from a movie with their two other best friends, Eli and Blake. Such an innocuous text. Mars was replying to Carver when his car rear-ended a stopped truck. Mars, Eli, and Blake were all killed in the accident.

It is unbelievable to Carver that his three best friends are dead. He is devastated at the thought of spending his senior year in high school, and his whole life, without them. Even
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This author wrote one of my all time favorite books...The Serpent King. If you have not read that one just go now. I'll wait.

So my expectations for this one were pretty high.

And it made me feel like an old hateful woman. I'll get to why in a bit.

(This is not a spoiler either-so cool your drawers) Carver sent a text to his three best friends. Where are you guys? Text me back
That text is more than likely what caused his friends to be in a fatal accident. So Carver has the guilt. Then he finds out
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Where are you guys? Text me back.

It all began with a text. Three friends were killed. But, let me tell you. The people in this book are major •ssholes! They tried to charge Carver for the death of his friends because the driver was in the process of texting him back. Here's the thing. If you're stupid enough to text while driving it's no one's fault but your own. You can wait until you can pull over or stop at a red light. If something is that important then a person would call you with an eme
Jeff Zentner
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Here's where GOODBYE DAYS came from:

I think about death a lot. Not to an unhealthy degree, mind you. Or at least I don’t think so. I guess it’s hard to be objective about this sort of thing.

I know that I think about dying at least once a day.
Anyway, death fascinates me. And while I adhere to the maxim “write what you know,” I adhere much more to the idea “write what you struggle with.” I find the subject of teenagers dealing with death--particularly the death of other teenagers (and friends no
C.G. Drews
This book was super super emotional. And excuse me while I handle that like a potato who's been left out in the rain in a bucket of their own tears. I'm a little bit fragile right now DON'T MIND ME. It was a good book. It was also extremely hard to read. The panic attacks were written so so well that it half broke my heart with just seeing a book really get it. But like just the sheer level of intensity + me reading it in like just a few hours because I couldn't stop + how palpable the levels of ...more
Isn’t it terrible... What a loss... He was so young... He was so funny... He was... He was... He was. People take shelter under clichés. Language is powerless enough in the face of death. I guess it’s asking too much for people to veer from the tried-and-true under such circumstances.

It legit was my mistake thinking this would be more cathartic than torturous to read after suffering a loss myself last Monday. We constantly have to tell ourselves things like "he is in a better place".. "he's not
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I don’t remember reading a book that had me laughing and crying literally at the same time from start until the very end until Goodbye Days. When you decide to read the book, the most helpful tip I could give you is to take good care of your heart because after reading, mine felt like it cart wheeled out of my mouth not being able to withstand the overwhelming emotions and then feeling stunned, it was as if I forgot the poor organ still lying on the ground so I accidentally stepped on it and sma ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oh boy. What can I even say? I'm exhausted and emotionally drained from this book, but in a good way?

I was sad the entire time I was reading this. It's a hard story to get through, because it's devastating. As it should be. Because the subject matter of accidents caused by texting while driving is heartbreaking. I knew going into this that it would be a hard read, and it was. But it was beautiful in its own way as well.

The characters that Jeff Zentner has created in this novel are incredibly rea
Lola
That was seriously intense. I was expecting profound and emotional from Jeff Zentner, but good God, I was so invested in the story I may have skipped two meals yesterday. No one could have taken this book away from me, unless they wanted to lose a finger.

Carver unintentionally killed his three best friends by sending the driver—Mars—a text message the latter answered while driving. Now he blames himself, and so do other people who want to see him behind bars.

I had no idea you could go to prison
Hamad
You can find the full non-spoilery review and other reviews @ The book prescription

Actual Rating: 4.25 stars

This was the first book that I read by Jeff Zentner, not that there are many books bu this author!
And the first thing that stood out to me was the writing style, I was captivated and immersed in the story, finishing it in 2 days only, and although it deals with heavy and multiple topics, it does so in a very good way!

The main topic which is loss/ grief is not a new subject in novels and I
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: A copy of Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner was provided to me by Crown Books For Young Readers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

“Funny how people move through this world leaving little pieces of their story with the people they meet, for them to carry. Makes you wonder what’d happen if all those people put their puzzle pieces together.”

This book broke me. I don’t know what I was expecting from the guy t
may ❀
Full review posted:

con·flict
verb
past tense: conflicted; past participle: conflicted
/kənˈflikt,ˈkänˌflikt/
having or showing confused and mutually inconsistent feelings.
adjective: conflicted

aka ~*~me~*~

Honestly, my rating for this book really does a terrible job of expressing how comprehensive the book was. I really feel like this was a more its-me-not-you case with this book since it had such amazing aspects about it and yet I wasn’t satisfied.

Pros:
- Jeff Zentner did an INCREDIBLE job in bal
Andie
Initial thoughts:
I finished this book last night and I'm still trying to process all of my feelings for this incredible story. Jeff's writing is exquisite and I definitely foresee him becoming a favorite of mine. Full review to come.

Final review:

Ever since I started hearing the buzz around Jeff Zentner's debut novel last year, The Serpent King, I have been eager to find out what all the fuss was about. I was so excited when Netgalley approved my request to review an ARC of Goodbye Days, and not
Paulo Ratz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Atualizando e finalizando meu último livro lido de 2017. QUE LIVRO LINDO. Ai terminei o ano bem. Jeff escreve de uma forma tão envolvente que as páginas passavam voando. Quanto quote lindo dá pra tirar da escrita desse moço. Arrasou demais. Já comprei The Serpent King, o outro livro dele, e vou ler imediatamente porque tô desesperado. Protagonista hétero, autor hétero, mas com TANTA representatividade... tem personagem gay, negro, asiático... sério. Favoritado.
Norah Una Sumner
description

Wow. I am so glad I got to read this fantastic book. So, the story goes like this – I’ve decided to begin reading Goodbye Days at about 10pm and I’ve planned on reading till 12pm as I had to get up early for my classes the next day. But oh boy, have I done something completely different. I have ended up reading till 2am and just COULD NOT STOP. I got so invested into these characters that I just couldn’t seem to let this book down. And so I read, and read and read until my eyes decided it was fi
Andrew
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Received from Netgalley*

I wonder if the actions we take and the words we speak are like throwing pebbles into a pond; they send ripples that extend farther out from the center until finally they break on the bank or disappear. I wonder if somewhere in the universe, there's still a ripple that's Blake and I sitting in this living room, laughing ourselves silly. Maybe it'll break on some bank somewhere in the vast sky beyond our sight. Maybe it'll disappear. Or maybe it'll keep traveling for ete
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
My heart has broken into a million pieces. Authors can be so cruel! I was not ready to deal with that emotional trauma. It was such an incredible book!

It deals with the topic of grief, and also shows the power of true friendship. This is the story of a boy called Carver (Blade) who sends his three best friends a text that changes everything. The next thing he learns, there car has crashed and they are all dead. (That's not a spoiler, it's in the synopsis.)

When I started off knowing that the thr
Vitor Martins

Eu acho que nunca serei HUMANAMENTE CAPAZ de explicar tudo que esse livro me fez sentir. Esse foi meu segundo do Jeff Zentner e assim como em The Serpent King eu encontrei aqui uma história extremamente bem escrita, com personagens profundos
Gabby
This book is really sad, but also very beautiful. It follows a boy named Carver, who's three best friends die in a car accident after he sends them a text (one of his friends was texting and driving, and that's what caused them to crash). Obviously, Carver thinks he is to blame for their deaths, and it starts to take a toll on him and it's incredibly heartbreaking. One of his friends Fathers convinces the police to go against Carver and blame him for the murder of his three friends and
Courtney
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of: contemporary YA
Recommended to Courtney by: Netgalley
Shelves: netgalley, 2017-read
If you were given a chance to create a "Goodbye day" for someone you lost, by doing things they loved to do and piecing that person together with others by remembering them, what would it look like?

We follow the story of 17yr old Carver Briggs, who is the sole survivor of 'Sauce Crew', on his journey through loss, guilt and his desperate attempts of helping others heal, as well as trying to heal himself. He goes through all of this, while also facing the very real possibility of being criminally
Inge

There are no words in the history of ever to describe how I felt when reading Goodbye Days. I wasn’t expecting to be so moved by it, but I found it to be such a true and beautiful portrayal of grief and anxiety and friendship. I can’t imagine ever doing this justice.
Stefani Sloma
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
Just realized I never marked this incredible/amazing/SO GOOD OMG book as read on Goodreads.

This book needs to be on your TBRs. I'll wait while you add it.

Okay, so GOODBYE DAYS is a beautiful celebration of life, passions, hopes, dreams. It thoughtfully and honestly discusses grief, guilt, and the power of one's actions. It will wreck you and heal you at the same time, and you'll love every gorgeous word. Seriously, you want to read this one.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
There's something about books with grandmas in them that just slay me. This book had me crying and laughing and loving. Jeff Zentner has done it again. He's officially a favorite author with two 5-star books for me. So damn good.
Donalyn
Beautifully written, heartbreaking, and memorable. I've read it twice, and it was just as powerful the second time.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was a very moving book. As soon as I read the summary, I knew that this would be a book that I would need to read. Just imagine sending a text to a friend and then finding out that at the same time you were texting them they die in an automobile accident. Now imagine that that car was carrying not just one of your friends but all 3 of your best friends. Can you even imagine that level of grief and the guilt from k
Jano
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa: http://elcaosliterario.blogspot.com.e...

Lo primero que me llamó la atención fue la sinopsis que aparecía en la contraportada del libro y que en realidad no eran más que dos preguntas (la interior sí era mas larga). Fue esta sencillez y la temática lo que me atrajo para hacerme con un ejemplar y poder conocer esta historia.

Es un libro que se lee bastante rápido y está bien escrito. Hay varias citas y reflexiones muy buenas, se nota que el autor escribe canciones y tiende a una pa
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
This. Fucking. Book:

(i) began with a punch to the gut;
(ii) showcases a brotherhood with authentic [bro] shit talking;
(iii) is set in the same-ish community as The Serpent King, including a cameo from a character from Zentner's prior story (I lost my shit when this scene happened, okay?);
(iv) kept kicking me while I was already on the ground resuming the fetal position;
(v) commands the formulaic "rule of three" trope with bittersweet effusiveness with events that never felt convoluted;
(vi) does s
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
I looooooved his debut, The Serpent King, SO SO SO SO ridiculously much so I'm uber excited for this.
TL
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Funny how people move through this world leaving little pieces of their story with the people they meet, for them to carry. Makes you wonder what'd happen if all those people put their puzzle pieces together.”

"Our minds seek casualty becaus
Around the Year i...: Goodbye Days, by Jeff Zatner 1 9 Dec 03, 2017 01:32PM
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • Bad Romance
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • Little & Lion
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • It's Not Me, It's You
  • Overdrive
  • Sometimes We Tell the Truth
  • Odd & True
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • The Light Fantastic
  • Off the Ice (Juniper Falls, #1)
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • The Last Harvest
  • Marian
Jeff Zentner lives in Nashville, Tennessee. He came to writing through music, starting his creative life as a guitarist and eventually becoming a songwriter. He’s released five albums and appeared on recordings with Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Thurston Moore, Debbie Harry, Mark Lanegan, and Lydia Lunch, among others.

Now he writes novels for young adults. He became interested in writing for
More about Jeff Zentner

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“For the most part, you don't hold the people you love in your heart because they rescued you from drowning or pulled you from a burning house. Mostly you hold them in your heart because they save you, in a million quiet and perfect ways, from being alone.” 57 likes
“I sometimes look at my bookshelf now and think about how someday I'm going to die without ever reading a lot of the books there. And one might be life-changingly good and I'll never know.” 37 likes