Start by marking “Backhand (Gold Hockey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Backhand (Gold Hockey, #2)

Backhand (Gold Hockey #2)

Mike Stewart is a bad boy.

Sleeping around. Boozing. Fighting with teammates.

Name a bad behavior and he’s done it—done it so well, in fact, that he almost tanked his career as a starting defensemen for the NHL’s San Francisco Gold.

But Mike is done with all that. He’s starting with a fresh foot forward and putting his past behind him.

That is, until his past quite literally r
Published April 4th 2017 by Blue Tulip Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Backhand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backhand

Diane Lynch
Apr 07, 2017 Diane Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backhand (Gold Hockey, #2) by Elise Faber Elise Faber scores with BACKHAND, the second book in the Gold Hockey series.  NHL defenseman Mike Stewart is reunited with his childhood friend, disgraced Olympic figure skater, Sara Jetty.  She tries to push him away, but he is persistent is perusing a relationship with her.  This contemporary sports romance takes place in San Francisco.  It is suitable for new adult and adult audiences.

Sara is an interesting heroine.  She is a former Olympic gold figu
Becca
Apr 08, 2017 Becca rated it it was amazing
Two things I love and adore in books... #1 Sports Romance (especially hockey) and #2 a good second chance/friends to lovers troupe (ok that might be three). Anyhow, Backhand has everything I love and more in it and I couldn't put the book down once I picked it up.

Mike Stewart has been known as the bad boy of the SF Gold Hockey team. But he's turning a new leaf and trying to be a better example to those rookies coming in and trying to be a little more level headed when it comes to the decisions i
Tania's Book Blog
Apr 08, 2017 Tania's Book Blog rated it really liked it
I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy.

This book was NOT what I expected. Sports romance mixed with suspense it was so good and the results was not what I expected. It's one of those books that you have to finish completely to get the results because it doesn't give anything away.

Mike & Sara grew up together but drifted apart when she was an Olympian figure skater and him with his hockey. Ten years later they run into each other again. This time Mike is an NHL superstar and Sara a disgra
Nellie Rivera
Jul 04, 2017 Nellie Rivera rated it liked it
Received an ARC for my fair review for netgalley. This is a story about friends long lost friends who reunite and become something more. Sara is a disgraced Olympian skater, she lost all her friends and even her family, when allegations had come out that she paid the judges in the Olympics. She starts over, or is at least attempting to, when she runs into Mike, her long ago crush, and she does not to have anything to do with him, because is too painful, but Mike wont give up, he also harbored fe ...more
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
Great second chance romance! I like seeing the history between the two characters become the sounding point for starting again. Mike and Sara seem to really care for each other. The author was able to bring to light the frenzy around popular athletes and the media.

My first read from this author but I was impressed with the writing.

*Complimentary copy provided via Netgalley for an honest review.
Diane Lynch
Apr 05, 2017 Diane Lynch rated it really liked it
Shelves: hockey-romance, ebook
Elise Faber scores with BACKHAND, the second book in the Gold Hockey series. NHL defenseman Mike Stewart is reunited with his childhood friend, disgraced Olympic figure skater, Sara Jetty. She tries to push him away, but he is persistent is perusing a relationship with her. This contemporary sports romance takes place in San Francisco. It is suitable for new adult and adult audiences.

Sara is an interesting heroine. She is a former Olympic gold figure skating medalist. Her reputation is tarnished
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Backhand is a story that will lay some surprises on you. It’s an intense story that quickly moves in an unexpected direction. I’m not a big Sports Romance reader, in truth the only ones I read are usually NASCAR related – hey, I love fast cars. I tend to want to watch the sport rather than read about it, if that makes sense. Yet this one got me at the blurb and I’m very glad that I went with my instincts on this one.

Mike has lived the high life as a top hockey player
Carol
4 " solidly enjoyable" stars.
I am a little bit of a sucker for second chance story's and sports romances so it was very easy for me to enjoy this book which combined both.
I have to also admit that it was mostly the "HOT" book cover that initially led me to request a copy of this ARC from netgalley but I am so glad that I did as I really loved the plot of this story and the way it was executed by this author.
It starts off with a chance encounter between Mike and Sara which rekindles a previousl
Brittany Shivers
May 24, 2017 Brittany Shivers rated it it was amazing
Sara Jetty once had a career she loved but after cruel allegations she not only lost the thing she loved the most but an attack left her near death. Now years later she focuses on her art and the outside world passes her by until a man from her past appears .

Mike Stewart has had his troubles in the past and only recently has he put them behind to focus on his hockey career. When he stumbles upon a woman from his past he aims to never lose her again.

Despite attention on them from all directions t
Cam (abookeater)
May 02, 2017 Cam (abookeater) rated it did not like it
Shelves: new-adult, netgalley, no
Was provided with a copy by the publishers through Netgalley in exange for an honest review

TW: abuse

I wish (do I really?) I could say I loved this book, or that I at least liked it but I'm sad to say that this book was miss for me.

Between the over-bearing alpha hero who showed too many abusive tendencies and the flighty, Mary Sue heroine, I was bored (and kind of disturbed) to tears. I'm surprised I even finished it.

I didn't think it was romantic, I tought the hero (whose name I can't even reme
Kandy
Apr 14, 2017 Kandy rated it really liked it
Elise did a great job at capturing my attention with this book. I will be honest and say I didn't read book 1 and I was skeptical about reading book 2, this was a good standalone.

I don't know much (or anything other than ice, skates, and some gear) about Hockey. Reading this book did put me in the moment with these characters, and Elise did a great job for my rookie skills. I didn't have to ask a ton of questions to get the idea of the description during play time for Mike.

Sara has had a rough
Angela
May 06, 2017 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angela by: Netgalley
3.5 Stars

Nice second chance romance between two childhood friends. Add in the world of hockey and figure skating and it was a really good story. It went a half star because I just don't understand how if everybody knows who she is and what happened, how did he not know? It was still an enjoyable book though.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Anna
Apr 28, 2017 Anna rated it liked it
***ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Absolute sucker for the cover. Seriously nothing wrong with that. Two super sweet MCs that were sexy and likable. Probably my only complaint that went from 4 to 3.5 stars is how quickly they got back together after 10 years apart with no communication and how did he not know about what happened to her?

While I liked this book I was also slightly confused. There were some things that made me go "huh?" and caused me to go back and re-r
Chandris
May 26, 2017 Chandris rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Sara Jetty was once a champion figure skater, until the scandal that ripped apart her entire career and in the process everyone she had thought loved and supported her. After successfully rebuilding her life and finding contentment in her art, she is not prepared for a blast from the past to show up...

Mike Stewart is at the top of his game in his professional hockey career. When her runs into his old childhood friend, Sara. He realizes how much he really missed her... then he learns what she had
P.e. lolo
May 05, 2017 P.e. lolo rated it it was amazing
The second book in the hockey series and I must say I think I liked this one better than the first one. Mike Stewart the resident bad boy has been slowly turning over a new leaf at least with his own team and actually being a teammate. Now as things are going good with the team he finds someone from his past, Sara Jetty. She is a former figure skater and was on her way to the Olympics until a scandal derailed her. Now ten years later Mike just happens to see her one day and follows her to an art ...more
K.
Sports Romance...check. Hockey...check...second chance...check. Suspense...check. This book had so many of my favorites when looking for a read, I had to read this! Backhand was my first read by Elise Fabre and I liked the read, but it didn't wow me.

Backhand follows NHL former bad boy Mike Stewart and former disgraced Olympic figure skater hopeful Sara Jetty. Two friends who drifted apart, reunited ten years later.

Sara has some major confidence issues, but them seem to disappear quickly. Mike
Shalaia Walters
Jul 18, 2017 Shalaia Walters rated it it was amazing
Mike Stewart, is introduced to us in Blocked, Stefan and Brit’s story. When we first meet him, he is rude, disrespectful, sabotaging, and doesn’t seem to care about anything or anyone, even if it means ruining his own career as a a great NHL defenseman. By the end of Blocked we want to know his back story.

In this second installment of the Gold Hockey series, we learn that Sara Jetty, former Olympic figure skater is his back story. They’ve let 10 years pass with no contact due to horribly unfort
Briyana Utley
May 03, 2017 Briyana Utley rated it really liked it
I was thankfully selected to review Backhand. Oh MY GOD! I loved this book. From the very beginning I was sucked in and I really didnt want to stop reading but unfortunately life got in the way or I would have finished in one day. Thank you Elise for this honor to read and review this book! I just brought Blocked so I'm about to get on that.

Sara I loved that girl. I thought she was going to do the whole push and pull thing with Mike but she didnt. Even if Mike didnt really give her a choice. I
Marcia
May 30, 2017 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Sara Jetty and Mike Stewart were buds in high school. Two years older, he would drive her to the ice rink where she practice figure skating and he hockey. They haven't seen each other since she left for her first Olympics and scored a gold medal in women’s figure skating, while he went on to the NHL. They lost touch, not knowing the tzorus that the other was going through, until they meet again, ten years later. Mike never forgot her and wants to reconnect, but she has become a shell of her form ...more
Terry
May 23, 2017 Terry rated it really liked it
Mike and Sara knew each other when they were growing up. While he was a hockey player, she was a figure skater. They lost contact with each other when she went to the Olympics and he went off to Junior Hockey. Ten years later Mike is playing in the NHL finally living his dream. But Sara was falsely accused of cheating at the Olympics and her life spiralled down from there ... it was only the last couple of years that her life is starting to take a turn to the good. When Mike and Sara accidentall ...more
Shelved
May 22, 2017 Shelved rated it liked it
I received this book free through Netgalley. I read it within 24 hours. It was enjoyable--but you really couldn't question the backstory very much, as if you really thought about it, it didn't make a lot of sense. The book blurb mentions that Mike is a "bad boy," but there really isn't anything in the book that indicates this. Perhaps in the first book in the series it was mentioned? I didn't read the first book. The scandal involving the main female character didn't make much sense-- if accused ...more
Kat
Jun 28, 2017 Kat rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for honest review***

I completely loved Backhand. I didn't read the first book and went straight to the second. Sara and Mike have know each other since they were teens. She was a champion figure skater and he a hockey player. They bonded over their mutual love for the ice. When Mike leaves for the pros, Sara also leaves for the Olympics. Sara loses everything she has ever worked for when her world come tumbling down. Years have past, Mike and Sara haven’t
Sarah Wayne
DNF at 21%. The premise of Backhand by Elise Faber seemed a really great combination of the hockey player super star and the ex Olympic medalist darling figure skater with a tarnished reputation findinglove and acceptance through turmoil and hard times to obtain their HEA. And honestly some of the story was really good and interesting, but it started to fall flat pretty quickly after that and I found myself skipping chapters and generally lost interest in Sara and (I forget his name) as a couple ...more
Becky Burciaga
May 24, 2017 Becky Burciaga rated it really liked it
A sweet sports romance with a touching HEA. The author was done a great job of creating a story packed with second chances, intrigue, hockey action, and a whole lot of romance.

In Mike and Sara's story there were so many moments between them that created a special kind of heartbreak. With both their history, together and apart, you'll want to keep reading in order to get answers. The culprit who does answer those questions will totally surprise you. A very creative story.

This ARC book was a com
Cariadne
May 22, 2017 Cariadne rated it did not like it
As a huge fan of figure skating, ice hockey romances and the SF Bay Area, I was excited about a Gold Hockey series. The true test was whether Elise Farber can give me great characters, a believable story and keep me engaged. Sadly, that's a no on the author's talent.

I get that she's likely a fan of all things listed in my 1st sentence above. The craftsmanship, however, didn't live up to expectations. The characters and storyline were flimsy. Some elements that were supposed to read as climatic (
Kelli
Mike a hockey player is a bad boy. He has a past but now wants to change. Sara an Olympic medal skater has been hurt. It's been 10 yrs since Mike and Sara has seen one another and they meet again . Will they be able to connect and make things work?

The synopsis from the back of the book was written so much better than the story. I felt no connection between the two characters. The storyline was flat as well. I felt the story jumped around and the dialogue between the characters was very juvenile.
Kira Assad
May 11, 2017 Kira Assad rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Backhand! I have always been a huge fan of hockey romances and this one did not dissapoint. Elise Fabre created a beautiful second chance romance that had me rooting for the love of the two main characters Mike and Sara. And Mike, he was the perfect guy. So attentive, so much love for Sara, it just made my heart melt. And the ending was unexpected, but wow was it crazy!! A must read for any sport romance readers out there! This is my first book of Elise's but it won't be my la ...more
Christina Montminy
I received this book from Net Galley for an honest review, thoroughly enjoyed this first read by author Elise Faber. Like usual I've started a new series a few books in. This story was wonderful, the heat between Sara & Mike was unstoppable even with a 10yr absence between their friendship. This book even though it's 40 chapters long it moved quickly & cleanly. The challenge to overcome your past seems to be the basis for this story. Mike & Sara where good friends yrs ago & a cha ...more
Jennifer Dicenzo
Jun 14, 2017 Jennifer Dicenzo rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! I will be recommending it to my reader friends. Hockey romance is one of my favorite tropes and this author knows how to write it. The scenes between Mike and Sara were so well done. I was completely drawn into Sara's past and how what happened could have. That these two were still so drawn to each other after all these years was a joy to read.
I voluntarily reviewed a reader copy of this book provided by NetGalley.
Clare
May 23, 2017 Clare rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A lovely read
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aside from writing romance, Elise’s passions are chocolate, Star Wars, and hockey (the order depending on the day and how well her team — the Sharks! — are playing). She and her husband also play as much hockey as they can squeeze into their schedules, so much so that their typical date night is spent on the ice. Elise is the mom to two exuberant boys and is thoroughly addicted to Dancing With the ...more
More about Elise Faber...

Gold Hockey (3 books)
  • Blocked (Gold Hockey #1)
  • Boarding (Gold Hockey #3)