Start by marking “The Mutt (The Order #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mutt (The Order #1)

The Mutt

(The Order #1)

I, Ervyn Morryés of the Black Mountain clan, know all about control.

As the only fair-haired Dark Elf in the Highlands, I had to learn to control my fists and my temper in the face of derision.

To become the best archer amongst my peers, I had to learn to control my breathing and my movements.

But the day the half-breed called Lochan Féyes arrived at the training camp, my di
Published January 20th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Mutt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mutt

Judith
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

I wanted him from the start.From the very first time I laid eyes on him.

To say I was pretty impressed by this is a bit of an understatement.So much to love packed into about 40 pages.Part of The Order Series which will be three short stories followed by a novel (according to the Authors website)

When they meet at a training camp Ervyn is captivated by Lochan and he's determined to have him.....

His eyes were blue—so intensely the colour almost appeared offensive. Fuck, it offended
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, m-m, fantasy

➦1, 2, 3, commence the usual whining after reading a short story:

➦Why so short, man?

➦Can you maybe, I don't know, add another... say... 500 pages to this goodie so I can continue salivating over these hot elven creatures? Speaking of elves.

➦This is what I imagine these two like, their hair might be backwards but what the f ever. Even though it's been years since I've played Lineage or any kind of mmorpg, I am still a huge fan of anything fantasy, so I'm always on board to read about mystical cr
Deborah
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having seen lots of 4 and 5* reviews coming through for this incredibly short read (which according to Amazon is just 29 pages long) I was intrigued.

This book is so much more than it's length, it doesn't read or feel anything like the short story it is and I'm hooked and left wanting more.

It takes place in an Elf training camp where Lochan Féyes a half-breed born to an influential Elven clan, but brought up by humans is all everyone can talk about. He's unusual, a hybrid, a mutt but if you didn'
SheReadsALot
4.5 HEARTS--

I wanted his attention, but he refused to give it to me.
So I had to find a way to claim it.

This story... listen, this story? It's phenomenal. And for just 41 pages, it packs a wallop into a fantasy world I want to be a part of.

The Mutt by new author Kasia Bacon is a prequel of sorts set in the Order universe, a fantasy based world with a contemporary feel. The author begins with a note stating the characters would not let up until she told their beginning. I personally want to
Barbara➰
Reread November 2018

I had forgotten how much I loved this. Kasia has a way to weaving a tale in such few words.
“I perceived winning Lochan Féyes’ heart, and making him mine, not as a goal—but an imperative.”

Originally read July 2017

Honestly, I hardly ever rate a short story 5 stars. But this was amazing. It drew me in from the first sentence. It never felt like a short story. The writing was phenomenal. I can't wait for more. Thanks Dia for putting this story and this author on my radar
* A Reader Obsessed *
5 Stars!

Two words.

Fucking! Fabulous!! (Scuse my language)

This bridges everything I love and want from high fantasy and when mixed with MM, you’ve got one awesome setup for an uh-mazing series!!

Of course, my only complaint is that this was way too short! I want to gobble up ALL the books but I don’t want to be without! Regardless, I look forward to future indulgences but I must pace myself!
Shin Mon Thway
I can’t thank my friend Michaelle enough for urging me to read this short story. When I added this book to my TBR, she told me that I needed to read all the books of this author and it got me really curious. So as soon as I woke up this morning, I read this one and let me say, ”what a great way to wake up!”. 💜❤💙

The story is very short but this is only the prelude of upcoming novel “The Elven Vice”. There will be two MCs in the story, Ervyn and Lochan. Ervyn is a highlander dark elf and Lochan is
Len Evans Jr
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A short, very intense and incredible opening to a new series... Beautifully written, the words flow on the page with suspense and intrigue. Extremely Well Done!!!
Wendy
This sexy short story introduces us to the world of elves....and let's be honest, who doesn't like elves ?? This little gem is an introduction to new series this author is writing. "The Elven Vice" will be the first novel about Evryn and Lochan.

The books opens in some kind of training facility for elves. It is entirely written in the voice of Evryn, the only fair-haired Dark Elf in the Highlands. He is also an archer, so guess who he made me think of ;)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor legolas + gif

A new elf has just arrived at the training
☆ Todd
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Very* short, but with a good bit of build up to where the story is going, so I'm looking forward to the 2nd short, coming out at the end of this month.

(Free with Kindle Unlimited.)
Karla
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
How can this be so short and so so good?! But dam it really is you can just feel it from the hot chemistry between the MC and falling into the fantasy world of this story. Can't wait for more even though I have to suffer while waiting....next one please!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Love the writing style and subtle world building. Color me intrigued!

Dia
5 BIG stars

Ervyn

Lochan
The most penetrating blue eyes.

I loved, loved, loved this short book! It is the prequel to the first book in the series. The introduction to the story. But I just can't wait to read more about these great characters and their amazing world!!

I was hooked from the very first page. I was dying to read more, curious and excited to discover their fantastic world. And we get a glimpse to such an interesting story.

Loved everything about it: the names of the characters, the desc
Kasia Bacon
Jan 06, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
description

Well, well, well. Looks like The Mutt got itself a nice little nomination in the Best Short Story (under 50 pages) category. Why, thank you and hell yes.

Pinterest Board: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/JustKasia...

Virginia Cavanillas
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

What a fantastic little read. And I’m not using fantastic because of the genre (this is about elves, yes, but this could be any place in the world, an atemporal society populated with warriors—hot, gorgeous and funny long haired warriors, to be more specific—) but I’m using the word because this was fabulous, a beautifully written short, a love story between a mutt and a Highlander, about their beginning, their first kiss and touches and the way the blonde Dark Elf (what a nice paradox, eh?)
Ele
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ele by: ☆ Todd
Shelves: paranormal
Really liked the writing! Really liked it!

If you 're iffy about paranormal, like me, don't be. There are elves, but the setting reminds me of Ancient Greece or maybe Greek mythology.

Very short, and despite the author doing a great job with the world building, the story is surprisingly focused on the MCs. Not a lot of steam but LOADS of sexual tension.

I'm invested.
Richard Derus
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindled
It was okay. A half-hour of mildly interesting story for 99¢ isn't a great bargain in my mind. Nothing about this tale stood out for me. I'm not going to read more in the series.
Bev
Well, that was brilliant and I want more!! Although this is super short it didn't feel it, the quality of the writing is really good. Nothing felt rushed or skimped on.

Yep - brilliant!

Shile
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, favorites, 2017
That was short and sweet.

Consider me invested.

“It was at least sixty paces, sir.” I shrugged, but faced with his sour grimace, I added quickly, “And no, that’s not it. The thing is, I want in the Scouts.” Ha! he is following him.

Ariana
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ariana by: * A Reader Obsessed *
What a fabulous start to what I hope will be a really great series!

I’m not heavily into fantasy, but, omg, Lochan and Ervin blew me away big time!
I was sucked into the story immediately and basically read book 1 and 2 in one big deep breath.
Fabulous writing, excellent UST, lots of feels! I am totally invested.

My only complaint is the same so many other readers have mentioned:
I want more. So much more. These novellas could be easily twice or three times the length!
Cadiva
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool intro to this new fantasy series

ETA: Revising my stars up one because it actually was very impressive for just 30 pages.

I liked this intro to a new fantasy series from an author I've not read before.

It's hard to do world building in such a short piece but Kasia Bacon did an excellent job in setting down the feel and tone of this setting.

There's a gentle humour as well which had me chuckling a couple of times and I'm looking forward to finding out more about these two.
Jewel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short totally sucked me in. I loved it.
K.A. Merikan
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Loved it!
Engaging from the start, instantly transports into the world of the story, and great writing :)

Can't wait for more!
Sara
***2nd read: 8/25/2017
Second time was just as good as the first. No, possibly better because I can now dive into Lochan's POV!***

Where the hell did this come from?

OMG! This was amazing. I adored Lochan and Evryn so damn much! Their chemistry is off the charts hot and I want more.

More.

I just want more of this world.

The author did an amazing job of world building in very few pages that you pulls into the book fast, you see all the training that is being done and you get a sense of what is impor
MishyJo
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So far beyond the realm of what I normally enjoy, but I so loved it.
Elena
A very nice prelude to the Order series.
I love elven MCs so it was a hit for me.

I WANT MORE!!! ;)
Apolishedreader
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
I am not a fantasy reader, but I am a Kasia Bacon fantasy reader.
This is a short story set on the training ground about an archer who takes a fancy to an up and coming assassin. There is some fine tension here and a bit of a cliffhanger. But that is okay because the continuation of their story is out now so I read it right after this one. (Look for my review soon!).
The first line is "I wanted him from the start" and, let me tell you, so did I. This book packs so much into just a few p
Lorraine Lesar
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
30 pages of delicious, seductive reading.

This little gem of a story is a prelude to a new Series, which the first book, The Highlander, is being released at the end of August. If you are only going to give your readers just 30 pages to get them addicted, you have to make them count. And trust me, they counted - I'm addicted.

Ervyn Morryes is a dark elf and Leader of the Archery Squad. His family motto is "Aim big, miss small". And he is indeed aiming big - his ambition is to join the Queen's Nat
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

What a frustratingly short introduction to two very addictive characters and world. I loved it!

“The shock and pleasure of being touched by him so casually tingled all the way up to my scalp.”

More Dark Elves, more blue eyes, more Morryes, and more Lochan please. More, more, more!

Off to read book 2…..

Highly recommended. Learn from my mistake—have book 2 ready to go!

books_and_brew

This was a short (super short) introduction into an elven world that I am so totally stoked about. I liked paranormal romances and all things supernatural, so I was extra excited to see a PNR that isn't about shifters! I will definitely be continuing on with this series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)
  • The Shadow Mark
  • A King's Ransom
  • Te quiero
  • Love, Marriage, and a Baby Carriage
  • Matters of State (Space Portal Vector, #2)
  • Sarge (F.I.S.T.S. #1)
  • The Puritan Pirate (Pirates of Port Royal, #1)
  • A Private Miscellany (Society of Gentlemen #3.5)
  • The Prince of Winds
  • Emyr's Smile (The Stories of Ys, #2)
  • On Wings of Thunder (On Wings Saga, #1)
  • Bad Magic (Spell Slave, #1)
  • Song of the Navigator
  • Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)
  • Out of the Ashes (Asheville Arcana #1)
  • No Boundaries
  • Werewolves of Chernobyl
A linguist and an avid reader with a particular fondness for fantasy and paranormal genres, KASIA BACON lives in London with her husband. When not tearing her hair out over a translating project, she writes stories about the shenanigans of emotionally constipated assassins and sexy Elves. Otherwise, she can be found shaking her loins at a Zumba class, binging on anime or admiring throwing knives o ...more

The Order (2 books)
  • The Highlander​ (The Order #2)
“The first time I watched him fight, I got hard. My heart pounded in my chest, and I chewed on my lip until it bled. I vowed then I would make him mine.” 2 likes