Start by marking “The Bookshop Girl” as Want to Read:

The Bookshop Girl

This story is about a little girl named Property Jones, so-called because she was left in the lost property cupboard of a bookshop when she was five years old. Property loves living in the bookshop, but she has a whopper of a secret... she can't actually read! So Property doesn't see the newspaper article announcing the chance to win the Montgomery Book Emporium, the bigge ...more
Published March 2nd 2017 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Bookshop Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bookshop Girl

Start your review of The Bookshop Girl
Trish
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One day last year, I was in one of the bookshops in the town where I work and while browsing as I sometimes do, my fingers suddenly carressed the spine of this one. The German hardcover edition of this book, mind you. As is the case with food, so it is with reading. That is to say that with books it's not just the words that matter to me, but also the design.
Nevertheless, I try to always read a book in its original language since I know the weaknesses of translations, no matter how well done. I
Amanda
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This middle grade read is an enjoyable one for many ages. This book harkened slightly to A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Mysterious Benedict Society for me. The mystery in this book is not a deep one but it was amusing nevertheless. I enjoyed the book's few illustrations and felt that they supplemented the text perfectly.

My favorite part of the book was the author's use of the main character, Property Jones. When Property and her family run into trouble, she doesn't rely on her brother o
Laura Noakes
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
CHARM-FILLED & WONDERFUL. Read in one sitting! ...more
Mehsi
I have been looking forward to this book for months, ever since I first saw it pop up on Twitter. I just had to have the book, a book about book stores? About a girl not being able to read while living in a book store? With mystery?

I can hear you say: What? The MC lives in a book store but can't read? Nope, she can't read. As the first chapter tells us:
"Property was eleven years old when our story begins. She had been living with the Joneses for six years. She loved them very much, and she was a
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a cute middle grade story about an orphaned girl named Property Jones. She was left behind in the bookstore belonging to the Jones family and when no one claimed her or reported her missing, she just became part of the family. All is going along well, but Property has a secret, she can't read. When a stroke of luck befalls the Jones family, they head off to London to take over a world famous bookstore. It is magical and Property loves it, until a sinister character shows up and claims th ...more
Almira
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A library patron and her daughter (8ish) returned this one day, mom said "my daughter doesn't like to read about orphans, and this is sort of about an orphan, but the word is only used once, so she enjoyed it." Now that is something I have never encountered before, so I thought why not see what this is about...…

Property Jones (yes, that's her name) was left at small bookshop in England, Michael, who eventually becomes her "brother" puts her on the property shelf, as she does not know her name or
Steph
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant tale filled with mystery, magic and delight. I devoured this book quickly and I love the name Property. From the first but of the book to the very end, you have a story that will delight kids. I loved this so much!
Kristina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was just looking for a book about books! 💞

I enjoyed Property's adventures so much and fell in love with her little family and the amazing bookshop!

I am a huge fan of bookish books and if you are too, then I definitely recommend! You'll most certainly like it ☺️

Kristina Z
Ms. Yingling
ARC provided by the publisher

Property Jones (so named because she was abandoned in a bookstore and put into the lost property cupboard by Michael Jones, whose mother Netty ends up adopting the girl) loves living and working in the White Hart bookstore with her family, but times are hard. When there is a contest to win the best bookshop in the UK, The Great Montgomery Book Emporium, Netty enters and is greatly relieved to win, since the White Hart was in danger of going under. The Emporium is a m
Kate Willis
This book was so enjoyable. Highly atmospheric, written in a very droll style, and so sweet the ending brought me to a few tears.

The Book Emporium was amazing! I loved the quirky way it was built and the description of each room was better than the last. *sighs happily*

Property (yes, that’s her name; yes, there is a good explanation; and don’t worry, she was very much her own person) was a great character whose power lay in observation. I loved the way she loved books, and, boy, was she clever!
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-fiction
Sweet, charming, and full of heart, with a wonderfully cozy and classic feel to the writing. And seriously, it's a book about a girl who gets to live in a bookstore (first a normal one and then a nigh-on magical one, although it's described merely as "mechanical") - so what were the chances that I wouldn't enjoy it? ;)

As a kid, this would have been an all-five-stars book for me. As an adult, I still truly enjoyed it, but I also kept on getting tripped up by a few significant logic issues behind
Luna
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I’m relatively certain I have one of the best bookshops in the country on my doorstep I do wish Montgomery Book Emporium was real. A bookshop like that would be the ruin of me, but in the best possible way.

The Bookshop Girl is magical. Anyone who adores books will love the description of the Montgomery Book Emporium. Added to that you have Property and her family, their original bookshop, an absurd (in the best way) adventure and a cat.

It did not take me very long to read but I enjoyed The
Lisa B.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Property Jones lives in a bookstore with her adoptive family - Mom, Netty and brother, Michael. When the family wins the Great Montgomery Book Emporium the three of them give up their little bookstore and move into the book emporium. Property takes with her a long kept secret.

Oh what fun this middle school book was to read. Property is one observant young lady and she uses her skills to save the family from a unpleasant dilemma. By the end of the story, Property gets to unburden herself of her s
Mikayla
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mikayla by: Kate Willis
This book was simply delightful. I could not get over how adorable it was. I was grinning from page one with the awesome introduction, and the unique characters.
The bookshop was awesome, and I wished I could step into it myself.
Property Jones was such a fun main character I just wanted to sit down and have tea with her.
I read this pretty fast, so while I got a lot of the witty lines, I'm pretty sure I missed some. So, I'll just have to re-read it soon!

Thank you, Kate Willis, for this delightf
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Bookshop Girl is a bonkers story. Property Jones is so-called because she was discovered as a five-year-old in the lost property section of a bookshop and adopted by the bookish Jones family. Property loves books. She really does. But she's hiding a secret: she cannot read.

One day, the Jones family win a prize draw to run the famous Montgomery Book Emporium. With the help of an extremely grumpy and oddball cat, the Jones family must solve a dastardly mystery or lose everything – books an' al
Laurie
Would you love to live in a bookstore? What if you didn't know how to read, would you still want to live there? This is the life of Property Jones. She was abandoned in a bookstore when she was very young and raised by the bookstore owner, Netty Jones and her son Michael. Property kept a secret for six years - she never learned how to read- but she pretended she did. The longer she went on pretending that she could read, the harder it was to tell the truth. However, that became the least of Prop ...more
Property Jones lives in a bookstore – but she cannot read! Little does she know, her secret just may save her family’s future.

I am a sucker for books about books or set in bookstores/libraries or where reading is central to the plot. *Check*Check*Check* This book had it all! Property is a brilliant young girl who was “found” in her adopted family’s lost-and-found cupboard within their small bookstore. She is quite happy in her life with them and with her unique first name. When the family wins a
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for my free review copy. All opinions are my own!

The Bookshop Girl is a charming middle grade novel with allusions to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but with a bookish twist. Our protagonist, Property Jones, was discovered in the "lost property" cupboard of the crowded and overflowing little bookshop run by Netty Jones and her son, Michael. Netty and Michael embrace Property as part of their family, and the three of them live a simple life immersed i
TheMadHatter
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been reading this book with my daughter over the last week. At about 180 pages it is the perfect sized book for children transitioning to chapter books. There are still pictures, but quite a few double pages with no pictures which I knew would challenge her as she is very much into the visuals. We both survived it though!

The book is about a young girl called Property (so named because she was found in a lost property cupboard) who, with her adopted family, wins a (magical) bookshop with H
Jen (1/2 of Bookish Moms)
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Think Willy Wonka but you win a bookshop instead of a chocolate factory mixed with the mystery of A Series of Unfortunate Events, and you get The Bookshop Girl.

Property Jones and her family own a small cute bookshop and on a whim enter a contest to win the Montgomery Book Emporium. They know books so who better to run the best bookshop in London.

What I liked about it: magic, Property herself, the bookstore cat, lots and lots of vivid book descriptions and the happy ending.

There wasn't anything
Shelley Thompson
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Bookshop Girl by Sylvia Bishop is the story of Property Jones, a girl who was abandoned at a used bookshop when she was 5 years old. The Jones family takes her in and she helps run the bookshop. They win a raffle and receive ownership of The Great Montgomery Book Emporium. It's a marvelous world of books in a truly unique building, but there is a mystery to be solved. A feisty cat named Gunther helps Property and her family try to save the bookshop. It's a fun, action-packed, humorous myster ...more
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the setting of the book emporium (this was such a fun concept!) and the cozy book shop. I also loved the complexity of characters and how the book captures some of those struggles. The illustrations were fun as well! There was something a little bit lacking in the story, but I can't pinpoint what, it may be that I just would have liked to see more because I enjoyed the people and places! Good little read!
Melodie Pearse
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“The Bookshop Girl” is a whimisical story about an illiterate young character, Property, who lives in a bookshop. This story has a similar feel to “A Wrinkle in Time” and pulls on the reader’s imagination to create the described world. My fifth grade self would have enjoyed reading about Property’s experiences and I will certainly recommend to this book to my students.

I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Charlotte
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc18, 2018
A fun story of a bookselling family who win a giveaway of a magnificent book emporium, only to find that their new bookstore comes with a mystery that could take everything away from them....a good one for the 3rd or 4th grade young bibliophile who enjoys fiction that stretch the bounds of realism without become fantasy. Bonus kitten of great intelligence and fierceness.
Samantha Novak
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Bookshop Girl was an OUTSTANDING book for and kid who loves: adventure, mischief, and a good mystery to solve. I loved all the big words and long but, interesting sentences that the author used. Never did I get bored or tired but, glued and stuck to the pages of this book. So to every kid who loves a good mystery, this is the book for you!
Korie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Such a cute story with mystery and intrigue. It was so easy to read also the illustrations were adorable!
Amanda
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way this book was written. The plot is nice, but it's the way Bishop writes that I can't get over.
Liz
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Super quick/good story. Feels like a really light, Lemony Snicketesque story.
CJ
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, about an adopted girl who uses her skills to solve a mystery and save her family. Definitely young middle grade, so it was less enjoyable as an adult, but still a nice quick read.
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Sylvia Bishop Illus by Poly Bernatene
Myrick Marketing & Media, LLC
Peachtree Publishers
Middle Grade
Pub Date 01 Oct 2018
I am reviewing a copy of The BookShop Girl through Peach Tree Publishing and Netgalley:

This book is the perfect book for middle graders, full of a young hero who is trying to save her families Book Emporium from the grasp of a nasty villain.

Property Jones family owns the Book Emporium, they won it in a contest but Property has a secret, she can't read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Wink
  • The Library of Ever (The Library of Ever #1)
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • The Light Jar
  • Lost! (Survivor Diaries)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Land of Neverendings
  • I, Cosmo
  • The Day I Was Erased
  • The Phantom Tower
  • Boy Underwater
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • Blutbuch (Die Seiten der Welt, #3)
  • The Clockwork Crow (The Clockwork Crow #1)
  • Anti/Hero
  • Don't Check Out This Book!
  • When we were Warriors
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
Sylvia Bishop spent an entire childhood reading fiction, dreaming up stories and pretending. She then tried very hard to get to grips with the real world by studying politics and going in to social science research. This was a shock. Thankfully, she discovered improvised comedy at university, which allowed her to carry on making up stories for at least 30% of her waking hours.

Now she writes her st