Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Bookshop Girl” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop Girl
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Bookshop Girl

by
4.1  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
This story is about a little girl named Property Jones, so-called because she was left in the lost property cupboard of a bookshop when she was five years old. Property loves living in the bookshop, but she has a whopper of a secret... she can't actually read! So Property doesn't see the newspaper article announcing the chance to win the Montgomery Book Emporium, the bigge ...more
Paperback, 219 pages
Published March 2nd 2017 by Scholastic
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Bookshop Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bookshop Girl

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Tisha
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
আমার খুব ভালো লাগে যখন ইনটারনেট ঘেঁটে আমি ভালো কোন বইয়ের খোঁজ পাই। এই বইটাও সেভাবেই পাওয়া। বইয়ের নামটা দেখেই এত ভালো লেগে গিয়েছিল যে ডাউনলোড দিয়েই পড়তে বসে গিয়েছি!

বইটা এততো মজার! বইয়ের গলপ হল Property Jones (একজন মানুষের নাম কিভাবে Property হতে পারে, সে বযাপারে খটকা লাগা সবাভাবিক। কিনতু বইটা পড়লে এর পেছনের মজার কাহিনীটা জানা যাবে!) নামের এগার বছর বয়সের একটি মিষটি মেয়েকে নিয়ে যে একটি ছোটট বুকশপে তার ভাই Michael Jones এবং মা Netty Jones এর সাথে থাকে। এই তিনজনের সবকিছু বলতে ঐ ছোটট বুকশপটাই!

কিনতু অ
...more
Tukunjil Nayeera
কাভার আর টাইটেল দেখেই তো বইটা পড়ে ফেলতে ইচছে করে! পযাপারবযাক আর হারডকাভার দুইটা এডিশনেরই কাভার পেইজ এতো সুনদর! সাথে আছে লোভনীয় টাইটেল আর ফলযাপে লেখা বিবরণ। বোনাস পয়েনট হিসেবে যোগ হয়েছে তিশার আগরহ জাগানিয়া রিভিউ! তাই ঝটপট ওর কাছ থেকে ইবুক চেয়ে নিয়ে পড়ে ফেললাম বইটা।

এই গলপটা পরোপারটি জোনস নামের এগার বছর বয়েসী ছোটট একটি মেয়েকে নিয়ে যে কিনা পড়তে জানে না! এই বযাপারটা আমি ঠিক মানতে পারিনা। তার ভাই মাইকেল জোনস আর মা নযাটি জোনস পরতিদিন বিকেল বেলায় একসাথে বসে কোনো একটা বই পড়ে। পরোপারটি "জোনস ফযামিলি"তে আস
...more
Amanda (Kindled)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This middle grade read is an enjoyable one for many ages. This book harkened slightly to A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Mysterious Benedict Society for me. The mystery in this book is not a deep one but it was amusing nevertheless. I enjoyed the book's few illustrations and felt that they supplemented the text perfectly.

My favorite part of the book was the author's use of the main character, Property Jones. When Property and her family run into trouble, she doesn't rely on her brother o
...more
Laura Noakes
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
CHARM-FILLED & WONDERFUL. Read in one sitting!
Mehsi
I have been looking forward to this book for months, ever since I first saw it pop up on Twitter. I just had to have the book, a book about book stores? About a girl not being able to read while living in a book store? With mystery?

I can hear you say: What? The MC lives in a book store but can't read? Nope, she can't read. As the first chapter tells us:
"Property was eleven years old when our story begins. She had been living with the Joneses for six years. She loved them very much, and she was a
...more
Kristina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was just looking for a book about books! 💞

I enjoyed Property's adventures so much and fell in love with her little family and the amazing bookshop!

I am a huge fan of bookish books and if you are too, then I definitely recommend! You'll most certainly like it ☺

Kristina Z
...more
Steph
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant tale filled with mystery, magic and delight. I devoured this book quickly and I love the name Property. From the first but of the book to the very end, you have a story that will delight kids. I loved this so much!
Ms. Yingling
ARC provided by the publisher



Property Jones (so named because she was abandoned in a bookstore and put into the lost property cupboard by Michael Jones, whose mother Netty ends up adopting the girl) loves living and working in the White Hart bookstore with her family, but times are hard. When there is a contest to win the best bookshop in the UK, The Great Montgomery Book Emporium, Netty enters and is greatly relieved to win, since the White Hart was in danger of going under. The Emporium is a m
...more
Lisa B.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Property Jones lives in a bookstore with her adoptive family - Mom, Netty and brother, Michael. When the family wins the Great Montgomery Book Emporium the three of them give up their little bookstore and move into the book emporium. Property takes with her a long kept secret.

Oh what fun this middle school book was to read. Property is one observant young lady and she uses her skills to save the family from a unpleasant dilemma. By the end of the story, Property gets to unburden herself of her s
...more
Luna
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
While I’m relatively certain I have one of the best bookshops in the country on my doorstep I do wish Montgomery Book Emporium was real. A bookshop like that would be the ruin of me, but in the best possible way.

The Bookshop Girl is magical. Anyone who adores books will love the description of the Montgomery Book Emporium. Added to that you have Property and her family, their original bookshop, an absurd (in the best way) adventure and a cat.

It did not take me very long to read but I enjoyed The
...more
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-fiction
Sweet, charming, and full of heart, with a wonderfully cozy and classic feel to the writing. And seriously, it's a book about a girl who gets to live in a bookstore (first a normal one and then a nigh-on magical one, although it's described merely as "mechanical") - so what were the chances that I wouldn't enjoy it? ;)

As a kid, this would have been an all-five-stars book for me. As an adult, I still truly enjoyed it, but I also kept on getting tripped up by a few significant logic issues behind
...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Bookshop Girl is a bonkers story. Property Jones is so-called because she was discovered as a five-year-old in the lost property section of a bookshop and adopted by the bookish Jones family. Property loves books. She really does. But she's hiding a secret: she cannot read.

One day, the Jones family win a prize draw to run the famous Montgomery Book Emporium. With the help of an extremely grumpy and oddball cat, the Jones family must solve a dastardly mystery or lose everything – books an' al
...more
Laurie
Would you love to live in a bookstore? What if you didn't know how to read, would you still want to live there? This is the life of Property Jones. She was abandoned in a bookstore when she was very young and raised by the bookstore owner, Netty Jones and her son Michael. Property kept a secret for six years - she never learned how to read- but she pretended she did. The longer she went on pretending that she could read, the harder it was to tell the truth. However, that became the least of Prop ...more
TheMadHatter
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been reading this book with my daughter over the last week. At about 180 pages it is the perfect sized book for children transitioning to chapter books. There are still pictures, but quite a few double pages with no pictures which I knew would challenge her as she is very much into the visuals. We both survived it though!

The book is about a young girl called Property (so named because she was found in a lost property cupboard) who, with her adopted family, wins a (magical) bookshop with H
...more
Jen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Think Willy Wonka but you win a bookshop instead of a chocolate factory mixed with the mystery of A Series of Unfortunate Events, and you get The Bookshop Girl.

Property Jones and her family own a small cute bookshop and on a whim enter a contest to win the Montgomery Book Emporium. They know books so who better to run the best bookshop in London.

What I liked about it: magic, Property herself, the bookstore cat, lots and lots of vivid book descriptions and the happy ending.

There wasn't anything
...more
Shelley Thompson
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Bookshop Girl by Sylvia Bishop is the story of Property Jones, a girl who was abandoned at a used bookshop when she was 5 years old. The Jones family takes her in and she helps run the bookshop. They win a raffle and receive ownership of The Great Montgomery Book Emporium. It's a marvelous world of books in a truly unique building, but there is a mystery to be solved. A feisty cat named Gunther helps Property and her family try to save the bookshop. It's a fun, action-packed, humorous myster ...more
Charlotte
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, rc18
A fun story of a bookselling family who win a giveaway of a magnificent book emporium, only to find that their new bookstore comes with a mystery that could take everything away from them....a good one for the 3rd or 4th grade young bibliophile who enjoys fiction that stretch the bounds of realism without become fantasy. Bonus kitten of great intelligence and fierceness.
Melodie Pearse
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“The Bookshop Girl” is a whimisical story about an illiterate young character, Property, who lives in a bookshop. This story has a similar feel to “A Wrinkle in Time” and pulls on the reader’s imagination to create the described world. My fifth grade self would have enjoyed reading about Property’s experiences and I will certainly recommend to this book to my students.

I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Bookshop Girlby Sylvia Bishop Illus by Poly BernateneMyrick Marketing & Media, LLCPeachtree PublishersMiddle GradePub Date 01 Oct 2018I am reviewing a copy of The BookShop Girl through Peach Tree Publishing and Netgalley:

This book is the perfect book for middle graders, full of a young hero who is trying to save her families Book Emporium from the grasp of a nasty villain.


Property Jones family owns the Book Emporium, they won it in a contest but Property has a secret, she can't read.


The
...more
Bev
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's strange how sometimes you can go weeks reading books that you quite like but don't really make you go wow then suddenly two come along at the same time like buses - loved both A Storm of Strawberries and this delightful story. Property Jones lives in a bookshop having been found abandoned there at the age of 5 and she is very happy but hides a secret from her mum and brother, she can't read. The family's adventures start when they win a huge book emporium and are chased out of it in a very ...more
Alycia
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative, clever, and funny!
Katy Noyes
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lost and Found - family, adventure and a love of books

A baby is abandoned in a bookshop and taken in by the owners, brought up as their own. They call her 'Property', and the bookshop is her home... despite never being taught to read. Years later, the rather down-at-heel Jones family win a competition to own a huge and magnificent bookshop... but of course all is not as it seems.

This would make a great TV mini-series on CBBC. Property and her adopted family are upbeat, hard-working and very symp
...more
Holly
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It read like a combination of The Storied Life of AJ Fikry and Mr Penumbras 24hr bookstore, but for children. Will definitely be rereading once I can get a finished copy with illustrations and will definitely be recommending!
Mrs G
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7-plus
A cute story that will appeal to the bookworms in my class. Funny, with a well-paced plot and some good characters. The illustrations are fab and complement the story beautifully. One for my class library rather than a class novel I think. Would suit LKS2+.
Helen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this !
foxy books
INHALT:
Ein warmherziges Familienabenteuer in der magischen Welt der Bücher

Property ist ein ganz besonderes Mädchen: Sie lebt in einem Buchladen. Als Kind wurde sie dort bei den Fundsachen entdeckt, und so wächst sie mitten unter Büchern bei Ladenbesitzerin Netty und deren Sohn Michael auf.

Eines Tages gewinnt die Familie den tollsten Buchladen der Welt, Montgomerys Bücherparadies. Doch der Laden birgt ein Geheimnis, und nur Property kann der Sache auf die Spur kommen – denn niemand kennt sich so
...more
Stacie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bookshop Girl, by Sylvia Bishop, is a humorous and sweet chapter book for young readers. It follows the story of orphan Property, left behind in a bookshop when she was five years old. Property lives with the owner of the bookshop Netty Jones and her son Michael - who’ve become her family. But their bookshop is small, old - and they are strapped for cash. With hopes high, they enter a raffle to win the large, prosperous and wondrous Book Emporium. And in a stroke of luck and wonder - they wi ...more
Matt Davies
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Property Jones can’t read. When she was 5, she was found abandoned in a bookshop owned by the Jones family who later adopted her. Every day she pretends to her book-loving family that she can in fact read. By the time she is 11, the lie is so deeply rooted that she can’t tell her family.

As a reader, it is always a pleasure to find a book about books. Despite Property not being able to read, she loves books. She loves the feel of them, the smell of them, the sound they make when you close them. S
...more
Izabella ⋆ Pages Full of Stars ⋆
This was such a crazy but wonderful book! I know that it's written for children but I wish it could be longer :)

The Bookshop Girl is a story about Property Jones, who was once left in a bookshop and now lives with a bookshop owner and her son. Living among all the books sounds amazing, but Property has a big secret - she cannot read. Now, the Jones family face some financial problems until they are chosen to be the new owners of the biggest bookshop in the world - the Montgomery Book Emporium. P
...more
Laura
Property can't read, not because she is stupid, but because she was never taught. Like many people who can't read, she has learned to make it look as though she can read, but either choses not to, or pretends she can.

And she works in a bookshop with her adopted mother and brother. (She was found in the bookshop when she was five).

What I enjoyed about this book is, the premise is set up, that Property can't read, but is very observant, and from there, the story roars around at a wickedly fast rat
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
10 followers
Sylvia Bishop spent an entire childhood reading fiction, dreaming up stories and pretending. She then tried very hard to get to grips with the real world by studying politics and going in to social science research. This was a shock. Thankfully, she discovered improvised comedy at university, which allowed her to carry on making up stories for at least 30% of her waking hours.

Now she writes her st
...more