Start by marking “All Families are Psychotic” as Want to Read:
All Families are Psychotic

All Families are Psychotic

The most disastrous family reunion in the history of fiction.

Published September 7th 2002 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 2001)

RandomAnthony
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Well, for that matter, what was the purpose of my first sixty-five years? Maybe the act of wanting to live and being given life is the only thing that matters. Forget the mountain of haikus I can write now. Forget learning to play the cello or slaving away for charity. But then what?

Yes, then what, exactly? All Families Are Psychotic is the third (and second best) Coupland novel I’ve read this year (and I would have never picked up the author’s work without goodreads so, um, thanks, Otis and Co.
Toby
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, lit
I can't get past my love-hate relationship with Douglas Coupland. I haven't read a novel of his that I haven't enjoyed yet the idea of starting a new one fills me with some kind of nameless dread. It's as if I think it's going to be a difficult read (which they never are) or dull (I'm not sure Coupland does dull.) I blame the titles, or the idea of the as yet unread by me Girlfriend in a Coma which I bought approximately ten years ago and still haven't read. One of those things is consistently d ...more
BookLover
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a really quirky, yet thought provoking book. This book followed the story of one of the most dysfunctional families I have ever read about. I found myself often laughing at the absurdness of the situations they got themselves into, despite the seriousness of the story.

I realize that Wade, one of the main characters, was probably supposed to be an anti-hero and disliked, but I loved him. He was my favourite part of the book. I loved his protectiveness of his sister.

It's really hard to re
Michelle
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
At first I thought it was not going to be a wise decision to pick this book up right after I finished Crime and Punishment. I was right. I was annoyed. How could I possibly read witty banter when Lizaveta was killed with an ax? How about reading slap-sticky fight scenes between a father and son when dear Rodya was living the hard-labor life in Siberia? That’s not even to mention how absurdly over-the-top the entire family and all of the peripheral characters were. An eccentric billionaire obsess ...more
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was a quick and easy read, but I started to lose interest once I got a little more than half in. It's billed as kind of a humorous tale, and there were some "ha!" moments. But overall, it wasn't funny.... it was really pretty horrible (the goings ons). So an interesting and compelling overall story (of the family), but there wasn't much meat to it (too much back and forth dialogue for me) -- I also felt somewhat disconnected from the characters, and the story, although lacking meat, didn't ...more
Melissa McShane
As this book opens, Janet Drummond checks into a seedy motel where she's come to stay because her astronaut daughter Sarah is about to go into space. Sarah may have it together, but her brothers aren't so lucky: Wade is only just pulling himself together after a lifetime of screwing up, and Bryan struggles with depression. Janet's ex-husband Ted and his trophy wife Nickie are there too, as is Bryan's girlfriend Shw (no vowels) who is pregnant. Due to a random twist of fate and gunshots, Wade and ...more
Luis
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This isn't a funny book. I don't know why they tag this primarily as funny book. Cause for me, it's not. That's why people get disappointed. They expect something this book can't always give.

This isn't mostly about family matters as well, however the title of the book suggests.

This is about insights on general things. Human things. How we keep on being slaves of our ideas about the world.

"Janet's mother had, for a human being born without a penis in the year 1902, done quite well for herself, wh
anaïs
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
"It was three in the morning and I was walking along the Seine, just beside Notre Dame cathedral with Donny MacDonald, and he was singing songs from Carousel to me — I felt as though my heart would burst! And then there was this chill wind — so cool that I developed goose bumps even though the evening was hot and sultry. I had this premonition that my youth and carefree times were about to end — and it filled me with sadness and resignation — I mean, I'd only just begun to feel like a newly mint ...more
Alan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
2003 notebook: - getting a bit silly, set piece after set piece, the car crash, the hold up, the trusted father, thalidomide, AIDS
Ben Babcock
Despite its rather rambling plot, I actually have a soft spot for All Families are Psychotic. It has something to do with the zaniness of the characters being so realistic. And the ending always chokes me up.

As the title implies, the book's about family and the tribulations one's family undergoes as the wheel turns and one generation supplants another. Yet it's also about all the motifs surrounding family: growing up, maturity, dealing with mortality, and realizing how screwed up the world actua
Lorraine Devon Wilke
A Hallucinogenic Free-Fall Disguised As Real Life:

If nothing else, the title is genius.

I have no idea what Coupland was hoping to convey in this tumbling, bizarre narrative of family life gone crazy, but it's as if he latched onto the word "psychotic" and never let go. While all families have their quirks, likely none are as nuts as this one he's conjured up. And the idea of that was ultimately funnier than the execution.

First the good stuff: amazing phrase turns; smart, clever, funny dialogue
Rob
Jul 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone that hates themself
Shelves: 2007
Argh. This book was maddening. Coming off the heels of Generation X and Microserfs, I suppose my expectations were pretty high but this really felt like the literary equivalent of bottoming out.

With All Families Are Pyschotic, Douglas Coupland thrusts us into this absurdly over-the-top comically dismal present tense-ish Florida that just doesn’t ever seem to come together. It’s unreliably realistic that’s as much a future-proofed snapshot Now as it is an immediately dated fantasy of yesterday
Andrew
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Meet Wade. Wade seems to have a way of wrecking everything around him. For instance, "accidentally" sleeping with his father's new wife and giving her AIDS. And then "accidentally" giving his mother AIDS as well, when his father shoots him for the whole sleeping with his wife thing, and the bullet passes through Wade's AIDS-infested body and and rests neatly in his mother.

Wade isn't exactly doing so hot lately. But then, neither are the rest of his family. His white picket fence mother has a se
Jasmine
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
This is a good book.

I'm going to say something weird, it's really similar to the history of love by nichole krauss, but better. I know right? I probably never would have thought of it if I wasn't reading/listening to them at the same time.

But this book is also a bit like jackass goes to the prom. Or richie rich takes a slum day.

The quotes on the back say things like: "douglas coupland all growed up"

this book is not all growed up, in fact it's a fairly juvenile book. But lets actually be stra
Jill Griffith
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book not because of the great writing (which it has), or the humour (which it has in spades), or because of the well drawn characters (as vivid as any I've met). No, I love this book because for one brief and shining number of pages, it made my family appear normal. Which it most certainly isn't. Because it's true. All Families Are Psychotic!
Hafsa
Around the Year in 52 Books: 17. A book you expect to make you laugh.

This was a hilarious four star read until I decided to put it down for a month and then pick it up again. I only had 100 more pages but they managed to lower my rating a whole star down.

What I liked:
- The language is colloquial but Coupland managed to craft these amazing thoughtful sentences which makes you realize his ability as a writer. I was really impressed with how this wasn't pretentious at all.
- Loved how Coupland re
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was a great book, looking at life and our desire to leave our mark while presenting us with the most insane people and situations.
But seriously, I can only recommend it.
Anastacia
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, fiction, humor, favorites
I picked up this book because the title made me chuckle. I am definitely someone who believes that all families are, in fact, psychotic in their own way. It was a quick but fantastic read - quick, I believe, because it was such fun to read. However unlikely the story line may be - it does evolve to include some incredibly odd turns of events - the book started and remained witty and personal and deeply human.

The book centers around a family who all come together to Florida to celebrate an achie
Snotchocheez
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
"All Families Are Psychotic" is a farce that explores dysfunctionality in modern families. The story (such that it is, given its farcical quality) is beyond believable; some of its characters include a thalidomide-baby (deprived of one arm) who grows up and becomes an astronaut, a sibling who unknowingly has sex with his step-mother after he meets her in a bar for the first time (and who is shot by his father after said dalliance), four (FOUR!) members of this same family who are HIV+ because of ...more
Dennis
May 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Try as I did, I just couldn't get into this book. I've been a fan of Douglas Coupland since Generation X came out, so in some strange way, I feel bad not finishing this book. His other books have been pretty solid, though. "All Families", however, was a big disappointment for me. It has been awhile since I've read his work. Am I getting to old to enjoy sardonic, at times slapstick and dark humor? yeah,I don't think so. It's not me, it's him.

It felt as though I was reading a book rather than bein
Matt
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dude-lit, popular
Great little read. I finished in a weekend, because there was a humorous, unforeseeable detail around every corner. While some dialogue seemed forced or hokey every now and then, and some of the flashbacks were overwrought, the main story moved at a brisk pace and was highly original. The ending was a slight disappointment, but an overall great work of modern fiction. It has reclaimed the surname Drummond from "Diff'rent Strokes," at least for me.
Robert
The title is the basic thesis; it's expanded to suggest that one only notices this about one's own family; everybody else's family seems sane and normal.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Martha☀
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-tag
There is something about Douglas Coupland that makes me avoid picking up his books but makes me love them whenever I do. His stories strike me as slightly sensational and attention-seeking but he tells it all through the lens of humour.
The Drummond family has all assembled in Florida for the launch of Sarah Drummond's first space flight. As they catch up after a long time apart and rehash old issues, we get to see how completely dysfunctional they are. Between affairs, favouritism, diseases and
Chris Chinchilla
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The most disastrous family reunion in the history of fiction.The Drummond family, reunited for the first time in years, has gathered near Cape Canaveral to watch the launch into space of their beloved daughter and sister, Sarah. Against the Technicolor unreality of Florida's finest tourist attractions, the Drummonds stumble into every illicit activity under the tropical sun-kidnapping, blackmail, gunplay, and black market negotiations, to name a few. But even as the Drummonds' lives spin out of

Anaarecarti
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Ai văzut “Marea mahmureală”? De fapt, ce întreb eu aici, normal că l-ai văzut!!! Îți amintești, desigur, că în film nu există nici măcar un personaj (vorbim de cele principale, da?) care să fie sau să se poarte cât de cât normal și să echilibreze balanța când lucrurile o iau razna într-o manieră absolut dementă și de multe ori absurdă. Exact la fel e în “Toate familiile sunt psihotice”: lucrurile o iau la vale repede și fundul văii zău dacă se vede!

Recenzia completa pe https://anaarecarti.ro/mai
Vicky
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book!
Bookfairy
This is such a weird story, I'm not sure what to say about it. It's a story about AIDS, and about the 60s and 2000s, NASA, and infidelity. It's about family, and the ways this particular family is twisted and weird, dysfunctional, and how they learn to get along and learn about each other as well.
There are some really outlandish things that happen, and outlandish people we encounter, but I've definitely had my share of that, I don't know how unusual it really is.
Melanie
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I bought this one a couple of years ago. And it got lost in the flow of my book buying addiction. I wish I had read it sooner! It was so funny and entertaining. I found myself laughing out loud in public places, and people staring. (Excuse me lady, would you rather see me cry, or just angrily stare at people like you do?)

The Drummond are one crazy and very colorful family. There's Janet, mother of Wade, Sarah, the only one who seemed to lead a successful and normal life, and Bryan. Janet and Ted
Katy Noyes
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolute zany mayhem! I wondered to start with if it was for me... then revelation after revelation. Jaw drop after jaw drop. Crazy family member after... you get the idea.

I thought MY family was nuts. They just don't measure up to the Drummonds. While their daughter Sarah (a thalidomide baby) prepares for her first space mission, her family all gather in Florida, ostensibly to watch her take-off, but other plots take them in strange and hilarious new directions.

To reveal much about the plot wo
Brian
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
when i start reading a book i dont like, or finish one for that matter, i generally turn to a douglas coupland novel to remind me why i like reading so much. and this one did not disappoint.

his novels, the more i read, become more formulaic, which could be a huge turnoff becasue it is like reading the same novel over and over again with just different character names. but the thing is, i absolutely love his formula. it is there, it exists, but it is so off-the-wall unpredictable that i am amazed
Goodreads Librari...: Correct title 4 14 Feb 09, 2018 03:33AM

• Changing Heaven
  • The Flying Troutmans
  • Happiness
  • Galveston
  • Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)
  • You Went Away: A Novella
  • De Niro's Game
  • The Petty Details of So-and-so's  Life
  • Certainty
  • Twenty-Six
Douglas Coupland is Canadian, born on a Canadian Air Force base near Baden-Baden, Germany, on December 30, 1961. In 1965 his family moved to Vancouver, Canada, where he continues to live and work. Coupland has studied art and design in Vancouver, Canada, Milan, Italy and Sapporo, Japan. His first novel, Generation X, was published in March of 1991. Since then he has published nine novels and sever ...more
“All families are psychotic. Everybody has basically the same family - it's just reconfigured slightly different from one to the next.” 133 likes
“...blame is just a lazy person's way of making sense of chaos. ” 107 likes