Start by marking “The Moth - All These Wonders” as Want to Read:
The Moth - All These Wonders

The Moth - All These Wonders

From storytelling phenomenon The Moth: a collection about risk, courage, and facing the unknown, drawn from the best stories ever told on their stages.
All These Wonders features The Moth's customary variety of voices. Storytellers range from Suzi Ronson (who styled David Bowie's hair into Ziggy Stardust) to author Jung Chang, by way of a hip hop 'one hit wonder', an astron
Published April 20th 2017 by Serpent's Tail

To ask other readers questions about The Moth - All These Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moth - All These Wonders

Paul Bryant
Not only is this a terrific bunch of stuff, it also functions as a personality test, and the things you find out about yourself might not be the things you particularly wanted to know.

I was completely unaware of this Moth phenomenon. It’s been going on since the late 90s, it says here, and it’s all about storytelling. Some person will get on a stage and talk into a microphone and tell the audience a story. This has become a really big thing. What did I know. Me and the zeitgeist, we are not so c
Stephen
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These "Moth" stories are great - especially if you are like me and carry a book with you everywhere and read it in short bursts as each story can be read in a few minutes. Didn't quite enjoy this collection as much as the original one (The Moth: This Is a True Story but it was still a very strong 4 star read if not a 5 star read like that one. The latest collection The Moth Presents: Occasional Magic: 50 True Stories of Defying the Impossible is still quite expensive to buy and there's hardly an ...more
Katedurie50
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
What strikes me most is that these true stories - unlike so many fictional ones - are overwhelmingly positive and hopeful. Not that that they don't deal with the bad stuff - a murder, genocide, child soldiers, addiction- but the emphasis is on human decency, kindness and stength. And that's very interesting as a phenomenon. One of the sadder but most redemptive ones talks about a grave that says all the darkness in the world cannot put out a single candle. These are mostly about the moment the w ...more
Caitlin
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A collection of deeply personal stories--moments of joy and sorrow, dealing with a wide range of topics, divided into themes. Some are funny, others thought-provoking, and all emotional packed into a short story. They're very real, ranging from the sort of events we can all relate to, to more unusual ones that still have something relatable.

Because they're related by very different, you can read a few at a time, to savor them, or all in one great rush. Though not every one is happy, there's a se
Katie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really, really lovely.
Jamie Klingler
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an avid fan and listener--- many of the stories were familiar to me, but I loved being able to share them in the book (with my partner) Kind of wish this was one big podcast with chapters though--- as audience reaction and the changes in inflection don't come across on the page.

Still loved it... and found myself moved by most of the stories.
Fromwordstoworlds
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A while ago I told you about The Moth, the American phenomenon dedicated to storytelling. It is more than 20 years now that people working in all fields have started sharing personal experiences, stories that marked their lives.
In 2017 a second book was published: All These Wonders, a collection of 50 new honest stories about risk, courage, love, dedication, religion and hope. A glass of red wine, my pyjamas and a blend of aromatherapy oils were my companions last weekend when I read the book,
Susan Swartwout
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The variety and tone of these performance-oriented stories certainly keeps one's attention, from humorous to inspiring to emotionally wringing. Most of the pieces are only 3 to 4 pages long; many of them, because of that length, rush at the end to a point or final compelling image. Some just stop (not a complaint; there's still plenty to think about in each one).

The title's original summary has sufficient examples that I needn't rehash any here except to mention that two of my favorites were abo
Alison Petchell
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Some great stories, some boring stories, some amazing stories and some thought provoking stories. The Moth is like TED talks for storytellers and by and large they translate well to paper although some don’t make it. I really liked the ones from Aussies and frankly Magda Szubanski’s was my favourite (whole lot were worth a read for hers alone. Also loved discovering a ‘six-degrees-of-separation’ moment when one of the authors referred obliquely to his brother and I realised I knew him!! Love a b ...more
R
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All of human life is here.

"Love is a given, but it's a war of attrition...a long endless baseball season that never, ever ends...You have to have unbelievable patience and emotional fortitude to survive. That's what wears you out"

"I felt like suddenly I had to start considering a world with this big hole where my Mom should be...We'd be spending time together, and it's like my brain would split. And part of my would be completely present and the other half of me would be taking all these notes,
Albert
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew nothing of The Moth podcast, where apparently people tell unscripted five minute true stories about some personal experience. I just happened to pick this book up on a whim because I love reading short stories. This is a collection of stories told to Moth audiences that have been written down so that readers can enjoy them.

And they are truly amazing. Every emotion can be found in these brief true stories, from wonder to shock to gut wrenching sadness to pure euphoric joy. It has been sai
Mainlinebooker
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is actually a review of the hardback edition but I didn't find a category for this. This wonderful compendium of stories from the podcast The Moth, is comprised of 2-3 page stories(perfect bathroom reading) that showcase profiles about facing the unknown. From trepidation, fearful ventures, and determination, one is allowed a peek into how certain ventures changed their lives by being open to corners never exposed.
Ml Lalonde
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a treat - 49 of the best of stories told over time at The Moth. There's everything here - from heartbreakingly sad to laugh out loud funny. Easy to pick up. This left me with a renewed appreciation for the craft of telling the perfect story - where to come in, what to leave out and how to finish strong. Really satisfying read.
Diane
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the Moth Hour on the radio. This book is a selection of presentations presented at various Moth Hour Performances - some were touchy and interesting; others less so. I missed hearing the people present their stories as opposed to reading them, but nevertheless I found the book worthwhile.
Jacqueline Childs
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took some time to get through this. I personally think there are too many stories to this book but it was great overall. A few stories made me laugh out loud and she’s a few tears. The greatest stories were at the beginning and the end chapters.
Joyce Dias
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational true short stories . They made made me laugh and cry cry and everything in between
Alex Taylor
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was new to the Moth but really enjoyed this story collection. I have also downloaded the podcast to give that a listen.
Tom Bennett
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word I love The Moth.

Another fantastic collection of life stories. Brilliantly told, beautifully collected for the page. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll feel horror - and you’ll feel joy.
Nani Rump
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I love the podcast so why wouldn't I love this??
Deb Brown
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great !!
Cheryl
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read all year. Loved the insights into lives of folks from all walks of life.
Zoe MacGregor
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Reminds me a lot of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, except The Moth is aimed at adults and isn't looked down upon because their main audience are teenage girls.
Nikita Merchant
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried and felt alive as I ingrained myself in the stories of 50 beautiful people!
Judith
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these but I think the first collection was stronger.
Louise Graham
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant storytelling.
Some made me laugh, some cry, some ponder - fantastic. Loved every page.
Gail Griffith
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some great short stories!
Umaymah
Some stories blew me away, others I didn't get.
Susan  Wilson
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just not big on short stories and couldn’t get enthused about these. Lot of look at me, name dropping so have passed on to my daughter who is enjoying it.
Rohit Bharadwaj
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of those books which leave you with thoughts after you finish it.
Louise Kuhlman
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great stories, great topics/themes.

• Particularly Cats
  • Growing Up Asian in Australia
  • The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant
  • All Saints
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Wartime Writings: 1943-1949
  • Inside Little Britain
  • The Year of Finding Memory: A Memoir
  • Bad Trips
  • Shy: A Memoir
  • The World According to Danny Dyer: Life Lessons from the East End
  • Ghost Wife: A Memoir of Love and Defiance
  • You'll Enjoy It When You Get There: The Selected Stories of Elizabeth Taylor
  • Monstrum (Constantin Vadim, #1)
  • The Face