Start by marking “The Lucky Ones” as Want to Read:
The Lucky Ones

The Lucky Ones

It was the happiest day of her life. Little did she know it was also the last.

When a woman’s body is found in the grounds of a ruined priory, Detective Imogen Evans realises she is dealing with a serial killer—a killer whose victims appear to die in a state of bliss, eyes open, smiles forever frozen on their faces.

A few miles away, single dad Ben Hofland believes his fortu
Published June 15th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Lucky Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lucky Ones

Start your review of The Lucky Ones
Christine
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mr. Edwards,

We meet once again, one year later. Every year you put a book out there for my reading buddy and me, daring us to outsmart you. You do realize we are getting to know you, don’t you? That gave us an advantage. We were up for the challenge, ready for anything you could throw us.

So, I have to admit your prologue is pretty stellar. It is divided into two parts, Ben’s part and a killer’s part. Ooh, double perspectives. Love it, especially when one of them is the baddie. Gives us a b
Chelsea Humphrey
This is a tough review to write; in my personal rating scale a 3 star is still an enjoyable read, but I either had a few issues with it or I just didn't find it to be long term memorable. Mark Edwards is one of my all-time favorite authors, the kind I have on auto-purchase, and since becoming a blogger I've had the privilege of reviewing his past two novels. This book had a much different vibe than Edwards' previous books I've read; I have come to expect his thrillers to include a dark, almost h ...more
Meredith
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Lucky Ones is a clever psychological thriller about a serial killer targeting those who are at their “happiest.”

After his wife leaves him for another man, Ben and his 11 year old son, Ollie, move from London to Shropshire to make a fresh start. With his personal life in shambles, Ben wonders if he made the right decision to move. Very slowly, Ben’s luck changes and good things start happening for him and Ollie. However, what Ben doesn’t realize is that the good luck he has been experiencing
Matt
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Mark Edwards, and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Yet another powerful thriller from the mind of Mark Edwards, pulling the reader into the middle of a serial killer's rampage, fuelled by an interesting justification. DI Imogen Evans is on the hunt for the Shropshire Viper, someone who has been injecting victims with morphine. While the investigation intensifies, E
Louise Wilson
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A woman's body was found in the grounds of a ruined priory. Detective Imogen Evans soon realises she dealing with a serial killer.

Ben Hofland has moved back to the village he grew up in following the breakdown of his marriage. He has custody of his young son, Ollie. For the first time in months, Ben feels lucky. But he is unaware that someone is watching him and Ollie. Is Bens luck about to run out?

Mark Edwards books just get better and better. The plot is quite clever, fast paced and very well
sue
Well well well. Should I be surprised that this author Mark Edwards has left me gasping for breath at the end of this read? Definitely not! Compared to other books written by Mark Edwards I should have known that I'd be left with the thought "What a fabulous enjoyable read that was!"

Do not read the Letter from Author at the back of the book until you've read the full story. It might give away details that may spoil your enjoyment.

I personally look forward to reading The letter at the back from M
Jan

Mark Edwards is truly becoming one of my most favorite mystery/suspense authors. Does it help that every book of his that I have opened has been read with my favorite Goodread's buddy Christine? I say yes, I think it does!!

If I'm completely honest, I think that if I had read this latest on my own, the rating would most likely not be as high as it is. While this was by far the most ambitious thriller Edwards has come up with, it is also the one that stretches that line of believe-abilit
Gary
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Mark Edwards novels so when I was offered the opportunity to read his latest book 'The Lucky One's' out on the 15th June I had no hesitation.
As expected this psychological thriller was to the expected high standard and an exciting read. Full of good characters and many a twist and turn the book had me guessing to the very end.
When a woman’s body is found in the grounds of a ruined priory, Detective Imogen Evans realises she is dealing with a serial killer. But this is a serial kil
Sarah Joint
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously creepy and creative. This is a book that's hard to put down. Mark Edwards has said this was made to be a standalone, but I'd be very interested in a continuation of this story! The characters were intensely likeable and multi-faceted, and I want more! My rating is a 4.5.

Happiness... it means something different to all of us, but all of us crave it. I can't imagine most murder victims die happy... but there's a serial killer at large, and his victims are left with smiles on their cold
Pauline
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoy reading Mark Edwards books and The Lucky Ones was another great read. The story kept me hooked and I did not want to put it down. A psychological thriller that kept me guessing until the end. I would like to thank Net Galley and Thomas & Mercer for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Sue
THE LUCKY ONES by author Mark Edwards, is a change from his gritty dark psychological thrillers, to a crime novel/police procedural/ psychological thriller. I feel spoiled having always loved his dark psychological thrillers that screw up your brain, but being the talented writer that he is, he made this combination work. I guess I just favour his dark psychological thrillers.

It was the happiest day of her life. Little did she know it was also the last.

When a woman’s body is found in the ground
Liz Barnsley
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark Edwards gives good psychological thriller. Its been true since he started writing them but each book has been better than the last and The Lucky Ones was really excellent, with that genuine addictive quality and a clever, fast moving, considered plot that keeps things nicely unpredictable.

The Lucky Ones is kind of a hybrid serial killer/psychological thriller, as ever the author has created some memorable characters – then thrown them into untenable situations and messed with their happy pl
Tulay
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced thriller.

Gripping page turner, many twists and turns keeps you up late at night. Just as I figured out the viper, another twist tells me I was wrong. Ending was great surprise.
This book was free with narration, but the accent of the narrator made it very hard for this not born in U.S. reader.
Lisa
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Well am I in the minority again , hope not but to me The Lucky ones didn't live up to expectation for me although I liked DI Imogen Evans & her ballsy attitude which kept me interested up to 50% the pacing for me was a bit slow.

Police procedural is something very different for Mr Edwards & I am not sure if it worked, usually he has a horror aspect but this was lacking in this one, also the characters of Ross & Shelley annoyed the crap out of me plus beware animal lovers there are triggers in thi
Miriam
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mark Edwards is such an amazing writer!! Life with all its pain, suffering and disappointment is beautiful. It is difficult times that make us appreciate true happiness 😊 !!! However, after reading The Lucky Ones, I don’t want to be happy 🤣😂
Sherri Thacker
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! What did I just read???? This is my first book by this author and it is a gripping page-turner book that you do not want to put down!! This book does have A LOT of disturbing details but I found myself drawn into it from the beginning to the end!! Then, towards the very end … a sudden twist in the plot and ... watch out!! I liked it so much that I’ve added his other books to read to my Goodreads list. I can't wait to read his other books now!!
Judy Collins
Bestselling author, Mark Edwards returns following (2016) The Devil’s Work with his latest THE LUCKY ONES a twisty psycho-thriller featuring a serial killer who wants his victims to die happy.

Perfectly happy and ready to die. A killer who tries to make his victims’ lives perfect before he kills them.

Set in Shropshire, we meet a detective, an average man who desires a better life, and a killer. Told from different POV with two parts.

Who will be “The Lucky Ones?” Does he "make" them happy
Helga
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, crime, mystery
"The art of living well and the art of dying well are one."
-Epicurus

Mark Edwards is one of my favorite authors. He is like a trusted old friend, whom I know inside out. I don’t need to read reviews of other readers or read the blurb of the story before starting his books. I know his writing style and I know at some point he is going to pull a couple of surprises out of the bag. He never disappoints.

There is a serial killer in Shropshire. The tabloids call him The Viper. He leaves the victims’ bo
Andrea
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Mark Edward's is back in this book,been reading his last few books found them abit different that he usually writes.but this book I really enjoyed.its a crime read.Ben and his son ollie is overweight bullied at school and he finds a phone and receives messages but who is this person.Ben was married to megan but she had an affair with Michael so Ben and ollie move away.a serial killer on the loose but is Ben on his radar and why it all becomes clear.imogen detective on the case was my favourite c ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I've read all of Mark's books to date including those written with Louise Voss. I can say I'm a fan of his work with great certainty which is why I'm surprised that this one gets a 3.5 star rating from me. All others have been 4.5 or 5 stars.

I enjoyed the book but did find the pace slower than other books and the incredible reveals and twists that I so live in Mark's books were not here in this one. So for me it was too predictable. However, I read it quickly and would still highly recommend. No
Marty Fried
4 1/2 stars for this new (to me) author.

I thought this was a pretty unusual story. Trying to guess the killer was hard, and there are a few red herrings along the way. The ending was a surprise, but was fairly satisfying. It has the feel of the beginning of a series in some ways, but nothing important was left hanging.

The killer was pretty crazy, and we get a lot of chapters from his point of view. He is pretty violent, but somehow thinks of himself as doing good and making his victims happy - a
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I've read a lot of Mark Edwards books, and I usually absolutely love them. This one felt different from his previous books, and while I liked it, I didn't love it the way I loved his others. This one felt like more of a standard police procedural instead of his normal dark, twisty, unique thrillers.
Erth
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Story line was good but I had to read half or more of a chapter to figure out which character was talking. Got very annoying.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I read The Devil's Work by Mark Edwards and was blown away. It was such a fabulous story. So, I was curious to see how the next book would turn out. I chose to listen to this book at work and I found that was an excellent choice. The narrator Simon Mattacks was great!

There are three parallel POVs in the book. We get to follow single dad Ben Hofland as he tries to bring his life back on track after his wife left him for another man. And old friend of his as it seems which not makes Ben bitter
The Book Review Café
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at http://theboookreviewcafe.com

There's one thing you can always guarantee with Mark Edward and that’s a taut and suspense filled read. The author certainly knows how to write a thrilling psychological thriller and his latest The Lucky Ones is definitely a worthy addition to this authors work.

The author writes about scary things that happen to ordinary people, the next door neighbour, the happily married couple, or in this case Single dad Ben Hofland forced to move ba
Ashley Gillan
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As I've said before, when I see that Mark Edwards has a new book out, I know to clear my schedule for the next few days. No ones better at crafting a chilling, eerie thriller that will stay with you for weeks afterward.

"The Lucky Ones" is no different.

It's Edwards' take on a police procedural, and it is a great twisty ride that you won't be able to put down until the last page - which is a good thing because it doesn't all finish up until then.

The book follows two people: Detective Imogen Evans
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ben finds himself having to re start over again after his marriage fails. He returns home to the small village he grew up in hoping for a new beginning for him and his son Ollie. Sadly things don't go quite to plan with his son having problems at school and having the neighbours from hell living next door.

Imogen is a detective with a very good record. She has a knack for solving cases so any criminals should be worried, very worried. Her work is very much her life and she is determined to bring
Holly
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
This was definitely a page-turner! I stayed up late last night reading most of this thriller and I have to say, I would have finished it if my eyes had cooperated. You'll read this through three pov's: the "victim", the detective, and the killer. I thought this was a great way to get in the minds of all involved. Instead of "just" seeing where/how the detective was getting along, or "just" what the killer was thinking, or how the victim was living.....you were able to see & understand more from ...more
Irene
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, favorites
This is a brilliant thriller, told mainly from two different perspectives. On one hand we have the viewpoint of Ben, a soon to be divorced father trying to put his life back together. On the other hand we have a twisted serial killer with a warped philosophical sense of making people happy forever, by ending their lives when they are at their happiest. If he believes someone is a good person, worthy of happiness, they become a target. He skillfully manipulates their lives and the lives of those ...more
Denise
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
An excellent crime thriller from Mark Edwards. I have been a fan of his books after first reading The Magpies and The Lucky Ones is another amazing book from a very talented author.

Full of mystery and suspense and a gritty page-turning plot that will twist and turn you in every direction to uncover the truth. Detective Imogen Evans leads the investigation in the hunt for the serial killer The Viper, I do hope to read more about her in the near future.
All of the characters are fabulously drawn, I
Goodreads Librari...: Please link my new book to my profile 2 14 Apr 06, 2017 07:07AM

• The Blissfully Dead (Detective Lennon Thriller, #2)
  • From the Cradle (Detective Lennon Thriller, #1)
  • One Shot (Detective Patrick Lennon #2.5)
  • When She Returned
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)
  • The Venus Trap
  • The Perfect Son
  • The Good Neighbor
  • The Midnight Wife
  • Deserve To Die
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
  • Deep Dark Secrets
Mark Edwards writes psychological thrillers in which scary things happen to ordinary people.

He loves love hearing from readers and always responds. Mark can be contacted in the following ways:
Email: mark@markedwardsauthor.com
Twitter @mredwards
Facebook: www.facebook.com/markedwardsbooks

You can download a free box set of 'Short Sharp Shockers' by visiting www.markedwardsauthor.com/free

Mark has sold