Start by marking “Indigo Donut” as Want to Read:
Indigo Donut

Indigo Donut

A story of longing, belonging and trust. Two very different young people discover who loves them, and who they can love back.

Bailey is 17, mixed race, lives with his mum and dad in Hackney and spends all his time playing guitar or tending to his luscious ginger afro. Indigo is 17 and new to London, having grown up in the care system after being found by her mum's dead body
Published July 13th 2017 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Indigo Donut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indigo Donut

I HAVE FEELS.
Karen Barber
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Indigo and Bailey...very different, with totally different backgrounds, but this story focuses on what they have in common.
Indigo is fed up of everyone thinking they know her. Sent from foster carer to foster carer, Indigo knows most people who meet her will immediately google her and discover she was found as a toddler by her mother's dead body and her father was imprisoned for the murder.
When the mean girls at yet another new school pick up on this and start giving her grief, Indigo expects to
Robin Stevens
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book from Patrice, this is the story of Indigo, a kid in care who's falling in love with a boy called Bailey and struggling to understand who she is and where she comes from. London is a proper character here - I loved her descriptions of it, and I was totally caught up in the plot. 14+

Bookwormandtheatremouse
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Indigo Donut is an amazing read. A brilliant collection of characters who all have so much to teach each other about life. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and it will make you think about all the characters that you meet in your life and the invisible battles that they may be fighting!
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley

Indigo is new to London, having lived in the foster system her whole life, she’s moved from school to school and has a tendency to lose her cool, especially when people bring up her mother. Bailey is a 17 year old boy in the same sixth form as Indigo. When the two meet, they instantly hit it off. All Indigo wants to know is who she is, as she doesn’t remember her parents and lost contact with most of her siblings. When Bailey gets contacted by
Peter
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m a massive fan of Orangeboy - it was probably my favourite YA book of last year. I loved the relationship between Marlon and Tish in that book, and I feel like Bailey and Indigo have something similar. They’re really believable living, breathing characters - Bailey is sweet and sometimes goofy, Indigo is a little more spikey and that creates an interesting dynamic between them. Just like Orangeboy, Indigo Donut also has a lot music-nerdery and a love of London that shines through in the detai ...more
Jessikah Hope
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2017
I wanted to give this a higher rating and the start of the book was a solid 4/5. The characterisation is so intense and it's hard not to fall for it. With that said, I couldn't figure out the attraction between Indigo and Bailey at all. They have nothing in common and I can't see how they could even sustain a friendship. 440 pages later and I'm still unsure as to what they would talk about when all the drama died down. I'm still intending on reading Orangeboy though because Patrice Lawrence's wr ...more
skippity_doo
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Patrice Lawrence has done it again! Another thrilling, pacy and emotionally truthful novel about pain and identity and growing up. Go buy it!
Kat Ellis
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this great second novel from Patrice Lawrence. Bailey and Indigo are so easy to like and root for, and their lives and backgrounds so skilfully drawn that they feel totally real.

Ben Bailey Smith reads the audiobook, and was just brilliant; if audio is your preferred format, I can definitely recommend. Indigo is a great follow-up to Orangeboy (also narrated by BBS), and has made Patrice Lawrence an insta-buy author for me.
Steph
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A proper gorgeous story. I love Bailey and Indigo so much. Keeley gives me hope in life. I just think this was lush. A proper heart warmer. Ups and downs, but just lush.
Rania T
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Could have been better with more careful editing, and the author could have got to the crux of the story a lot quicker.
Suzanne Bhargava
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely boy meets girl story, with many complex layers. There's music, grief, anger mismanagement, London (lots of it), bullying, music, identity politics, drug and alcohol addiction, flawed but well-meaning parents, music, the foster system, dementia, and friends that make mistakes, and more music. Mainly Blondie, Grace Jones and Muse. Excellent.
Ella
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eventually finished it, better towards the end.
Amy Rush Da Silva
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
Great read from start to finish. What I love about Patrice Lawrence is her ability to add realism to her stories. I was hooked from the beginning and loved the blossoming relationship between Indigo and Bailey. The book also touched on important issues such as identity, bullying, love, family, prison and growing up.

Full review over on my blog - http://www.amysbookishlife.co.uk/2017...
Jess
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Similar to Eleanor and Park but very good!
RegalBalance
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Indigo Donut” makes you think. Not about maths problems, but what people go through during their life time. Secrets that are kept, sleepless nights that are spent, that monster under the bed that you don’t even know is there but you’re too scared to look under your bed just in case it comes out. It also helps to know that other people also suffer or to know that other people are always there for you.

“It was still with her now. Even when she held the wooden crocodile in the dark last night. Even
Maia Moore
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

I really enjoyed Patrice Lawrence’s Orangeboy earlier this year and was excited to see what she had in store for us next. Indigo Donut did not disappoint.

Indigo has a tragic past that she’s unable to hide from: Bailey has a perfect looking middle-class life but there are secrets hiding beneath the surface. Although there’s attraction between the two, their differences make it hard for them to come toget
Adrianne Rutherford
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Indigo has been in the foster care system most of her life and now at a new sixth form struggles to keep her temper under control, especially at mentions of her mother but she is such a beautifully complex and headstrong character and I loved her sass, her attitude all of it. Her foster mum Keely was a joy to read same for Felix and Wade too, the emotions were a lot.

Bailey, a big fan of Muse, also attends the same sixth form and is in awe of Indigo when he first sees her, and when the two begin
Ben Craib
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Patrice Lawrence is a poetic and soulful writer and this London romance about a girl with a deeply troubled past learning to fall in love suffers from a slow plot, but ultimately is rich and moving, and I'm glad I persevered.

Indigo, the main character, whose father murdered her mother, has ended up in a Hackney Academy after a life moving round the country in the care system. The feeling of young love, the butterflies, the magic, the drama is vivid here, and the central question - will Indigo's
Katie Greenwood
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I'd forgotten I owned and only ended up reading it through Sam picking a number from my spreadsheet catalogue (it's impressive) and I took that book to his to read. I fell in love with the story, so much so that I had to bring it home so I could read it quicker. I needed to know more.

Indigo Donut follows Indigo, a seventeen-year-old girl that has spent the vast majority of her life in the care system after she was found next to her dead mother's body. From this alone, you can se
Sally
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plenty of plot twists and turns in this great YA novel.
Indigo had had a turbulent past stepped in tragedy that leads her struggling with extreme bursts of anger. When her path crosses with introspective Bailey at her new school he can see just how fantastic she is and, although a fascinated and scared in equal parts of her anger issues, he sees past that and wants het to realise just how great she is.
When Bailey is approached by a street sleeper who knows more about Indigo than even she does Bai
CherryCarrot
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at approximately 100 pages.

Indigo Donut didn't draw me in, which is a shame as I quite enjoyed Patrice Lawrence's other novel, Orangeboy. My primary reason for abandoning it was that there didn't seem to be a tremendous amount going on - there is a distinct lack of plot. Everything I read seemed to be character building, which is of course an essential element to a story, but without a story to go alongside it is pretty void. All I really found out in what I read was Indigo and Bailey's fami
Hadleigh
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Bailey and Indigo make a cute couple and I wanted them to be together. There's got to be a pull in the book to make you want to read the rest, and that was it for me. I did find Indigo a bit frustrating - I know she has a difficult upbringing, but the default way she reacts to bad things happening is a bit annoying to read at times. Could have been toned down a bit maybe?

But anyway, cool boy (in an inbetweener sort of way) from a steady family meets cool but unstable girl made a good story. The
Julia Shore
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Quite a sweet teenage love story.

He makes some mistakes regarding not telling her about JJ but those mistakes were so well intentioned. He was also a bit of a bad friend to Austin but I assume that these are the kind of mistakes that teenage boys tend to make.

Her character was quite interesting, I do wonder how well balanced a person who has been in and out of foster homes can really be.

Underneath everything, they had that teenage lust for each other which does not always have massive long term
Arianne
The second book from Costa nominee and YA Book Prize winner Patrice Lawrence, Indigo Donut is another fast-paced contemporary, this time with the overtones of, rather than an overt debt to, a thriller. Gritty and dynamic, Indigo Donut confronts class division, the care system, and social issues, but is at its best when focused simply on the titular Indigo and puppy-eyed crush Bailey. The prose is jerky and needed more description, but fans of Orangeboy will find things to like here.

Read the ful
Jayne Bauling
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m loving UK YALit at present, so many great books. This second novel from Patrice Lawrence lives up to the high expectations Orangeboy created. It’s intensely emotional, and the developing relationship between Indigo and Bailey is quirky and moving. Indigo lives with a terrible fear – of something within herself. I loved her and Bailey, both so brave in their different ways. Everyone in this book is real, including the adults, some deeply damaged, all vulnerable.
Third person, dual POV is not
Alex
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, Patrice Lawrence’s second YA contemporary novel. The central characters, teenagers Bailey and Indigo, are very well drawn and believable. They are complemented by well characterised and interesting supporting characters, particularly Dad, Austin and Keely.

The plot though seemingly convoluted and undoubtedly full of flashbacks to past dramas is actually quite slight. However it was the tentative, tender romance between Indigo and Bailey that really kept me glued to this lo
Laura Beam
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've ready by Patrice Lawrence and I liked it quite a lot. Though it was surprisingly long for the story that it was, it never feel like it dragged. The writing was great and I loved both main characters. Lawrence did a great job of making you feel like you were really in London, particularly the parts of London that are rarely visited by tourists (like New Cross). I plan to read her other books.
Ary
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel really harsh giving this a 2 star review but it just wasn’t for me. I think if I’d read it as a teenager I would have enjoyed it, but not now.

The plot was OK but it took way too long to get going and I really didn’t relate to any of the characters.

I’m not saying it’s a bad book, so don’t let my review put you off. But maybe, if you’re an adult who doesn’t usually read YA then think again!
Linda
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Patrice's writing.. she draws realistic characters with all their failings. She packs in quite a lot in this novel : fostering bullying, socialism, dementia, racism , drug taking amongst other things, but her story has pace and I really did care about what happened to Indigo and Bailey and was not disappointed.

• All The Things We Never Said
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Chasing the Stars
  • Toffee
  • 27 śmierci Toby'ego Obeda
  • All the Things That Could Go Wrong
  • Crossfire (Noughts & Crosses, #5)
  • Fated (Slated, #0.5)
  • Heartstream
  • Ocalało tylko serce
  • I Am Thunder
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
  • We Come Apart
  • Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)
  • Trinkets
  • Becoming Dinah
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
Patrice Lawrence is a British writer and journalist, who has published fiction both for adults and children. Her writing has won awards including the Waterstones Children's Book Prize for Older Children and The Bookseller YA Book Prize.