Start by marking “The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (Prosper Redding, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (Prosper Redding, #1)

The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding

(Prosper Redding #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  4,249 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews
I would say it's a pleasure to meet thee, Prosperity Oceanus Redding, but truly, I only anticipate the delights of destroying thy happiness.

Prosper is the only unexceptional Redding in his old and storied family history — that is, until he discovers the demon living inside him. Turns out Prosper's great-great-great-great-great-something grandfather made — and then broke —
Published September 5th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, please sign up.
Alexandra Bracken Yes and no--the bulk of the book is from Prosper's first person POV, but you also slip into Alastor's third person POV now and then. I hope that…moreYes and no--the bulk of the book is from Prosper's first person POV, but you also slip into Alastor's third person POV now and then. I hope that helps!(less)
Alexandra Bracken No, the demon (Alastor) appears in the form of a white fox when he's in the human world, and there are certainly some little monsters running around,…moreNo, the demon (Alastor) appears in the form of a white fox when he's in the human world, and there are certainly some little monsters running around, but the main characters are all human. (less)

·  4,249 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews

Start your review of The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (Prosper Redding, #1)
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so unexpectedly beautiful. This is the best middle grade I’ve read since Harry Potter. Plus, this is beyond perfect for the Autumn and Halloween season. The prose is so lyrical, the characters are so heartwarming, and the messages are so important. I recommend The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding with my whole heart.

This is a story about a young boy named Prosper who has grown up never feeling like he has
Emma Giordano
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars! I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, lighthearted and also SUPER SPOOPY Halloween/autumnal read!

I’m not the most qualified middle grade reader as I’ve read more middle grade books this month than I have in the last two years, but I do think it is a bit more mature than other’s that I’ve read! I constantly forget that Prosper and Nell are only 12 – their voices feel at least 14/15 (and I don’t mean this to say it is inauthentic! I think it may have made the better fit for me as a
Chaima ✨ شيماء
This book was all about witchcraft and demons, blood-soaked contracts and centuries-old curses which is all contained in the spectrum of this month’s spooky theme and I loved it!

Plus, the concept of being possessed by a demon who not only helps you with your mythology homework and takes over in P.E classes but also speaks exclusively Shakespearean and makes commendable (if doomed) efforts at speaking millennial yet comes off as an old jaded relative commenting on a Facebook status sounds pretty
Alexandra Bracken
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
SO excited to share this book with you! Though it's meant for younger readers, I think (and hope!) my YA buds will still get a kick out of it. You can read the first chapter here, if you'd like! http://ew.com/books/2017/05/09/alexan...
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Well, I am at a loss how to rate this one. For one thing, I loved it (even though I'm a bit grown up for this sort of lit, hmmm... ). The language, the demon's quirks and the boy's character and the doomy-gloom of the story development, interspersed with crunching spiders. cheerfully... the magic and the Goetia-like plot background... all of this is woven into a very engaging text, a hilarious one at that.

On the other hand, Goetia isn't the most wildly read by kids book. And even not by kids.
megs_bookrack
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
**3.5-stars**

Prosper Redding has always felt out of place within his large, successful family. Each and every one of the Reddings seems to be exceptional in some way and he's, well, not.

He feels like a disappointment to the family name. Often overlooked and misunderstood, he dreams of one day discovering his true exceptional self.

One mysterious night he does end up discovering just that. His truly extraordinary thing:
He has a demon living inside him!

Apparently, Prosper's great- great- great-
Ashley Nuckles
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had just the right amount of creepy and cute to be absolutely perfect! It was funny at the right times and serious at others, and I'm so ready for the next book already I CANT WAIT
Lola
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, middle-grade
I think it’s good that I chose this book to be my introduction to Alexandra Bracken. I’ve heard such spectacular things about her YA series THE DARKEST MINDS that I would have ended up being extremely disappointed with this book if I had read that one before.

Possibly. There’s also the chance that I would have hated the YA series but that’s unlikely. Dystopian YA done well is my kryptonite. (That and cute gay romance.) Back to this book. THE DREADFUL TALE OF PROSPER REDDING is a fast-paced
Fafa's Book Corner
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Mini review:

DNF

I have been trying to get into Bracken's books for awhile now. The first book I read by her was Passenger. I didn't enjoy it, but she remained on my radar because I really like her writing style. Some people mentioned that this book remained them of Halloweentown. Naturally when I saw this in my library I requested a copy. Unfortunately I didn't like it.

The writing style read condescendingly. Prosper was truly frustrating. None of the other characters were any better. Pretty much
Hamad
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
“A soft heart only makes it easier for a knife to slip in.”

Once again, this book was not bad at all but my choice of it was bad.
Alexandra wrote in her review of this:
“Though it's meant for younger readers, I think (and hope!) my YA buds will still get a kick out of it.”

Obviously, I was not the target audience but that did not stop me from enjoying this!
I can't object on the writing as it is well written, and it even started out as a good, surprisingly dark and creepy book, but the middle part
monica kim
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I need book 2! Fell totally in love with these characters and the atmosphere. The audiobook is great btw.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I had mixed feelings about this for the first half of the book, but the ending really got me hooked. I was originally conflicted because I feel like the writing goes between lyrical prose (which I like) and the typical younger feel of middle grade (which I don't like). I tried to keep in mind that I'm not the target audience for this, but I was struggling for a while. At first, the plot was fairly predictable and I didn't love the characters, but the ending really saved everything for me. ...more
Michael
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Major HalloweenTown vibes from this. It's also not often that I like the first act of a book the most but it happened here. I think it's because it was surprisingly dark for a middle grad book. Alex Bracken always delivers!
Alexis (The Book Democracy)
5/5 stars

This book was AMAZING! Dark and mysterious and that plot twist!!! I didn't even see it coming! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and being in this new world! I can't wait to see what happens next!!
Julia Sapphire
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, thriller
DNF about 75% of the way through

I am so disappointed that I didn't enjoy this. This is my first book by 'Bracken and I was really underwhelmed. From the first chapter it honestly didn't interest me and I kept hoping it would get better. The story is juvenile- which yes I know this is middle grade but regardless this seemed really underdeveloped. The characters were bland and the backstory was explained in a chunk and was still not developed enough in that time. Alastor was the only sort-of
alexandra
4.5/5 –

this is so cute & fun! i read the audiobook and the narrator had the best voices for the different creatures and characters. i was cackling at some parts due to the writing, characters, and voice. a super fun middle grade read – especially for halloween season :))
Erin
DNF @ 41%
Out of fairness, I won't assign a star rating to the book on Goodreads. This was a book that NETGALLEY recommended to me based on a pre-approval by Disney Hyperion. I think it's possible that sometimes we can outgrow a type of book and that might be what happened to me. I have noticed a few of my Goodreads buddies enjoyed it, but I feel the need to move on.

Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Jade Ratley
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very good, need the sequel!!!
Full review may come eventually.
Rose
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher, arcs
im so happy this book exists
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Welcome to my October project – Book 2

As Halloween just is around the corner, I decided to only read books that make me think about this day one way or another during this month of October. I’ve actually been preparing this project for quite some time now, at least a few months, watching youtube recommendation videos, reading articles about the subject and dissect Goodreads for book ideas. I wanted this list to mostly fit my TBR which need to grow smaller, but I’m open as I also want to go out
Sara
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
So, guys, if you're looking for something to read this Halloween i highly suggest you pick up this book! I love how it had some spooky vibes even if it's a middle grade, because it's not something that is usually found in the genre. But don't worry, it's not too creepy, the spookiness just gives it a little more atmosfere and for me it made a setting such as an old town in our world perfect for this kind of story.
Connor
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty fun read! I liked the older vibes that came with this story and how Prosper’s old, powerful family has tons of secrets. I thought the clear commentary on what it means to belong were great, and I appreciated the characters’ growths toward having the courage to be themselves with confidence.

I thought the magic was pretty interesting with some witches and evil demons with curses and hexes. I’m always interested in stories connected to Salem and that time period, so I was eating
emma
dnf @ 9%.

ya know.........I wanted to really like this........................but I've been trying to get into it for two weeks now and this is just not gonna work. I loved alexandra bracken's other books, but I just don't think I'm really in the mood for a middle grade book rn so \_(ツ)_/

(this is v much an "it's not the book, it's me" situation tho so def still check it out if you're interested!!)
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Where have you gone, Bartimaeus of Uruk? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

RTC
Patricija - ReadOff
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were some entertaining bits, but I only got really interested at the ending.
I liked both Prosper and Al and liked their relationship. The plot itself was okay, the middle was a little slow-paced, but the ending is worth it. Nice twist.

Not sure if and when I'll read the second installment. Still a good Halloween read.
Saman
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
“With stories like these, it’s best to start at the very beginning,”

Honor Redding made a contract of eternal success and survival of his family with a Malefactor, Alastor but a contract with a malefactor comes with a cost. Honor Redding wasn't as honourable as his name and eventually betrayed the malefactor. Alastor has eventually returned to take revenge.

“We’ve had dealings with a devil.”

Since it's a middle-grade book, I will not judge it too harshly. To say the least, the story is rather
Melanie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding features an absolutely delightful demon who simply stole the show.

Prosperity Oceanus Redding is the first and only Redding to be completely ordinary, that is until he learns he has a demon inside of him. Four hundred years ago, one of Prosper's ancestors made a deal, and subsequently broke it, with a malefactor. Now that fiend has reawakened and is determined to destroy the family who betrayed him. With only two weeks to remove the demon and break the curse,
Krysti
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE DREADFUL TALE OF PROSPER REDDING is spooky, fun, and the perfect read heading into the Halloween season.

Alexandra Bracken has knocked it out of the park with her first middle grade novel! PROSPER has all the elements that I look for in an MG book, and they're all executed so well. This book is cute, quirky, funny, and an absolute delight to read.

There is something so entirely charming about a story that includes demons, witches, ghosts, etc. but still manages to maintain a lighthearted
Sally ☾
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Being different – being simply you instead of what other people wanted you to be – was it's own kind of bravery.”

That ending was just mean.

I am so sad. I feel so betrayed.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
So this is one of my favourite books of the year easily! Holy crap this was funny! If you've ever watched A Very Potter Musical with Voldemort and Quirrel + seen Hocus Pocus...the vibes you'll get from this are insane! It's so enjoyable. The characters are great and there's a massive twist at the end. I don't know who's good anymore!

• City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Fuzzy
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • The Afterlife of Holly Chase
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • Whichwood (Furthermore, #2)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • The Wicked Deep
  • The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic (Grishaverse, #0.5, 2.5, 2.6)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A

Prosper Redding (2 books)
  • The Last Life of Prince Alastor (Prosper Redding, #2)
“being different – being simply you instead of what other people wanted you to be – was it's own kind of bravery” 18 likes
“A soft heart only makes it easier for a knife to slip in.” 10 likes