Start by marking “The Art of Coco: (Pixar Fan Animation Book, Pixar’s Coco Concept Art Book)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Coco: (Pixar Fan Animation Book, Pixar’s Coco Concept Art Book)

The Art of Coco: (Pixar Fan Animation Book, Pixar’s Coco Concept Art Book)

The Art of Coco presents the story behind the making of Pixar's Academy Award-winning film Coco. Filled with concept art and insights from the creative team who worked on the film, this book overflows with insights into the process behind Pixar's unique and engaging vision.

The Art of Coco explores the behind-the-scenes details about the making of the film and producti/>
Published October 10th 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Coco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Coco

Start your review of The Art of Coco: (Pixar Fan Animation Book, Pixar’s Coco Concept Art Book)
Calista
I loved the movie Coco and I enjoyed looking through the stills of the movie and seeing and reading a little bit how they made this touching picture. I so love all the colors. This is a lovely book.
Flor
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I’m Mexican. I love this movie. I love its art. I love the fact that they took their time to learn about my country. So, of course I love this book.
Carol
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, this is such a beautiful book. All the art from the movie, and all the explanations of those involved and how they got the inspiration, were in Mexico they looked for art and things to replicate, how they wanted to show the culture and the feeling of family. I loved it, I felt that it spoke to me at a personal level as a Mexican, and getting to see all the drawings and all the background designs... It's beautiful! Such an amazing book for any Disney lover, especially if you loved Coco as muc ...more
Audrey
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has seen Coco knows that it is truly a celebration of music, of culture, of family, or art, so this book could easily be considered one of the most important of Pixar's "Art Of" books, of which I have many. With the perfect balance of writing, and concept art, and photography, and clay modeling, and everything else you could possibly want from an art book, this book truly comes out on the top of pack out of the "Art Of" books that I admire and love so dearly.

And this film. You GUYS, this fil
Xenos
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OK, I admit it...I am OBSESSED with the Disney/Pixar movie "Coco". Unashamedly so. I watched the movie with the family the other night and the onion ninjas were out in full force. (That's what my kids said as I sat there bawling my eyes out...in a good way.) If you haven't seen it, DO. I completely fell in love with it -- the beautiful story, the gorgeous animation, the poignant music and (most importantly) Dia de los Muertos. Oh how I wish I were Mexican and grew up with this truly lovely tradi ...more
Will Brown
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I've been disappointed lately by some of the art books I've read lately because they either didn't have enough text or they had too much. I think The Art of Coco strikes a great balance, without detracting from the main reason you should pick up this book: the concept art. There's a large variety of mediums here with, sketches, digital paintings, storyboards, and clay sculptures.

There's a few sections of text dedicated to different crew members talking about how meaningful it was for them to wo
Storm Arashi
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a fantastic peek into the world of Pixar's Coco, from details on how they did character concepts to seeing how the world itself looks and even little things like the storyboards or how the plotting went. Just gorgeous.
Michelle Jones
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Chronicle Books for sending me a copy through Goodreads giveaways.

First of all, this book is gorgeous! I received the full hardcover version, so I was able to appreciate the art fully. I especially liked the full-size paintings and los alebrijes, which are colorful imaginary creatures. I haven't seen the movie yet, and while the book had some spoilers, I don't feel lik
Jessica
This book was provided to me through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to the publisher, and Goodreads for giving me the opportunity to read it. This is my honest review. No compensation was given.

This is a wonderful book! It takes you chronologically through the movie showing art from various stages of production. Some are just quick pencil sketches of character ideas and some are fully rendered scenes from the film. It's gorgeous. The pages are glossy and heavy and even two fold out to show eve
Zachary
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The latest book in the Art of Disney/Pixar books, The Art of Coco maintains the standards set by it's fore bearers. Bright and beautiful with a wonderfully embossed cover, this book is light on making of dialog and more focused on the art, which will disappoint some hardcore adult Disneyphiles but it also makes this book perfect for younger readers who were delighted with the movie and wanted more.
Benjamin Espen
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program.

Getting art books in the mail is fun. Getting beautiful books designed by Pixar about a gorgeous movie is even more fun. Coco is a very sweet movie, and I enjoyed watching it with my family. This book is about the creative process at Pixar, and we get to see concept art, clay models, sketches, and reference photos used to create the movie, along with some fun tidbits about the artists and their inspirat
Dougb56586
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
(Note: I received a free copy of this book, in exchange for an honest online review.)

An enjoyable coffee table book that illustrates the incredibly large amount of creative visual effort that goes into making a cartoon movie these days. In fact, if you saw the movie and noticed the extensive closing credits list, it might seem like more visual artistic expression than can be absorbed through the theater experience. Anyways, if you liked the movie, you will enjoy reading in this book
Eleanor
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This movie holds a special place in my heart, as does the beautiful concept art made for it.
Sara
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was such a wonderful and beautiful "Art of" book. I loved the insight it gave into their creative process. However, I would have liked more information with the pictures. The pictures were wonderful in and of themselves, but it was sparse on explanation on what they were trying to achieve or portray. More writing would have made this perfect.
Exapno Mapcase
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lter
As always Pixar provides a stunningly detailed look at their latest blockbuster, Coco. From the research trip to Mexico, to sketches and sculptures, to color scripts, and the finished frames, this is a wonderful look into a heartwarming film.

Free review copy.
Richard Gombert
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
It is always interesting to look at what goes into making movies, and the choices made.
I do wish they'd tell more about the technology issues. Like they did in the books on the earlier movies.
Donald
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is just flat-out gorgeous! Stunningly so!
If you loved the movie, you'll love this book! Really, it's a beauty!
Alex
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I adore this film so I was eager to pick this up and I was not disappointed!
The artwork in this book is absolutely gorgeous. It is clear that a lot of love went into this film.
LivThebooks
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This movie is one of my all time favorites and it has inspired me and so did rhis arbook. You can see the heart they put i into this movie and it was nice too see all the behind the scenes and all the lovely art. The best arbook I have the honors to own.
Stephanie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice blend of behind the scenes storytelling and production artwork. Very thoughtful overall. The black pages get easily smudged by the oils on your hands. It somehow managed to be spoiler free without feeling lacking.
Nicholas Vela
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book that deals with the design process for Coco, which has become one of my favorites. Most of the book is taken up by models, drawing, and digital art to showcase the designs that the team came up with. A wonderful and informative book.
Eva
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I think I would've enjoyed this more had I read a physical copy and not the ebook. :)
Victor
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Absolutely loved it, the development of the concept art gave great insight to the characters back stories. A good read for anyone interested in either art or art concept design.
Emma
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this movie and the story it told.
Amelia
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A visually stunning book that, like others like it, really highlights how much work and research goes into creating films like this one.
Hannah Grace
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantastic
Such great insight into a beautiful, wonderful film!
τλιϓλ
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-of-books
Enjoyed this book from A to Z..
Such a wonderful one indeed.
Margaux Mannessier
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just as Moana's version, this is a wonderful compilation of art works, some of them enlighting things that did not make it to the final version of the movie. But once again, I would have like to learn even more !
Rachel
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
While containing some lovely personal stories from various creators, I found the amount of text (explanation, captions, background) to be lacking especially compared with other Disney (yes I know it's Pixar) art books.

I did enjoy the inclusion of the photographic research, but the book felt rather light on substance for such a visually and emotionally rich story.
Cynthia
Dec 26, 2018 marked it as artbooks
Review coming soon!

• The Art of Brave
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Frozen: (Frozen Book, Disney Books for Kids )
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of The Incredibles
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Art of Moana: (Moana Book, Disney Books for Kids, Moana Movie Art Book)
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • The Art of Tangled
  • Disney's Aladdin The Making of an Animated Film
  • The Art of WALL•E
  • The Art of Toy Story 4: (Toy Story Art Book, Pixar Animation Process Book)
  • The Color of Pixar: (History of Pixar, Book about Movies, Art of Pixar)
John Lasseter is an American animator, film director and the chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. He is also currently the Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering.