Start by marking “Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy (Charlie & Mouse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy (Charlie & Mouse, #2)

Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy

(Charlie & Mouse #2)

In this heartwarming sequel to Laurel Snyder's beginning chapter book Charlie & Mouse, the two brothers enjoy a special visit from their grandpa, Grumpy. Follow along as they discuss being medium, pounce each other, sing the wrong songs, build blanket forts, and more. Paired with effervescent illustrations by Emily Hughes, this touching, funny celebration of imaginatio ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Chronicle Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy

Danielle
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this series. That is all.
Tj Shay
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know that experience when you really really enjoy book #1 and are disappointed by book #2?? Well, you won't have that feeling with Charlie & Mouse and Grumpy, because I think it's better. Love love love Laurel, and this sweet semi-autobiographical book is just the sweetest.
Maria
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute early reader.
Jillian Heise
These are the cutest stories, and knowing they're based on Laurel's own boys, it makes them even more meaningful. Love that these early chapter books are available for transitional readers.
Quintina
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second installment of adventures of Charlie and Mouse is just as sweet and funny as the original. Kids will relate to the joy and excitement of grandparents visiting.
Mary Lee
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Me too -- love it even more than the first one!
Roben Closs
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply lovely. Two young brothers welcome their grandfather (Grumpy) as he comes for a overnight babysitting visit. I loved how Charlie described himself as big and Mouse described himself as Medium. Grumpy was a great caregiver to the young boys. As a grandmother, I could relate to a lot of the elements in this short chapter book. I look forward to reading more Charlie & Mouse stories.
June
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Easy reader, sibling and grandparents requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Beginning reader, but weird size. Wonderful stories of a grandfather's visit. Love the way that the pictures tell part of the story.
Michele Knott
I love this one even more than the first! I hope there is more Charlie and Mouse in our future!
Becky

First sentence: There was a knock. At the door. There was a knock at the door! It was Grumpy! "GRUMPY!"

Premise/plot: Charlie and Mouse are back for a second set of adventures. This early chapter book stars two lovable brothers and their grandpa, GRUMPY. The chapters are "Medium," "Pouncing," "Songs," and "Good-bye." In the first story, Mouse explains that he's "medium." He's bigger than he was--small--but he's not big like his brother.

"What is it like being medium?"

"When you are medium," said
Barbara
While I liked the first Charlie & Mouse book, as another reviewer has noted, this second one made me appreciate the two boys even more. I was definitely not disappointed by the four stories, all related to Grumpy, the boys' grandfather, and the fun the three of them had together during the elderly man's visit. The soft colors of the illustrations, rendered in graphite and Photoshop, are an interesting contrast to all the action on the part of the two brothers. What makes this book and this s ...more
Annie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Charlie and Mouse completely and without reservation.
DaNae
Every grandparents visit should be so treasured.
Margaret Boling
12/31/2017 ~~ Grumpy, the grandpa, comes to join Charlie & Mouse. Blanket's sadness (according to Mouse) is because of the rain, but perhaps it's because Grumpy is leaving. The only thing I wanted was for the cat to enter the story (not just the illustrations). I was so intrigued with the cat's expressions, that I expected more mischief from her. I even went back to the first book to see if she made much of an entrance (no).
Julie Kirchner
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this second book in the Charlie & Mouse series! Such a sweet installment that includes Grumpy, their grandfather. Each chapter is a cute story about their time during a visit from Grumpy. I especially enjoyed the description of what it means to be “middle.” This is a great transitional series.
Maureen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charlie and Mouse and Grumpy is the second in Laurel Snyder's cute picture book series based on her two sons. It was such a fun read. I can't wait to see what happens next to Charlie and his brother. Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for the opportunity to be an early reader in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Erin Murphy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Such a sweet story of a grandfather and his grandchildren. I didn't know this was book #2. I will definitely be looking for book #1!
Arma
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My boys loved this book, and after reading it themselves, insisted that they had to read it to their Grandpa, because he says some of the same things, verbatim! My boys really liked the first Charlie & Mouse, and we may have even liked this one better. We hope there are more to come!
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I might possibly love this one even more than the first one.
Lynn
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So sweet and funny and goes straight to the heart. I think I love this one even more than the first in the series. Grandkids and grandparents will treasure this book.

Read this after getting a galley at ALA and can't believe I missed listing it till now.
Charlie and Mouse get plenty of Grandpa time when Grumpy comes to visit. Four short cute stories for emergent readers with a sleep joke intertwined throughout, and a small metaphor at the end.
Leslie McWilliams Marcy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it to my granddaughter but really loved it more myself (she's a little young). I don't remember what the age group is... like a short-chapter picture book: the best, my favorite more-mileage reading length with my kids.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
E-ARC from Edelweiss
This is a great follow up to the first book about Charlie and Mouse.
Alice
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ala-2018
Cute beginning chapter book about a visit with Grandpa (Grumppy)
Carol Scrimgeour
These stories are so tender and sweet.
Beth
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this quiet, gentle, yet quirky series from Laurel Snyder and Emily Hughes.
Laine
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
some of the most authentic sounding kids i've read in picture books. so medium! lol
Amanda Harrison
Sweet book about a grandparent/grandchildren relationship. Easy to read book good for those younger kiddos who get frustrated with the typical higher level picture books.

Carrie Gelson
Loved this one even more than the first. Absolutely endearing. Can see this being read aloud to grandchildren by grandparents and lots of giggles happening!
Becky B
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie and Mouse's grandfather (dubbed Grumpy) comes to visit them and they have adventures together.

I love this celebration of a visit with a grandparent. It is perfect. The vocabulary is just right. The adventures are universal enough that most kids will find something they identify with, and the conversations sound incredibly authentic. (My favorites were the conversation about being medium vs big or small and Grumpy claiming he's just resting his eyes.) A wonderful, cozy beginning reader, c
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Barkus: Book 1
  • Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • My Toothbrush Is Missing (The Giggle Gang, #4)
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Ballet Cat What's Your Favorite Favorite? (Ballet Cat, #3)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • I See a Cat
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Rabbit and Robot and Ribbit
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • What This Story Needs Is a Hush and a Shush
Laurel Snyder is the author of six children's novels, "Orphan Island," "Seven Stories Up," "Bigger than a Bread Box," "Penny Dreadful," "Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess" and "Any Which Wall" (Random House) as well as many picture books, including "Charlie & Mouse," "The Forever Garden," "Swan, the life and dance of Anna Pavlova," and "Baxter, the Pig Wh ...more

Charlie & Mouse (4 books)
  • Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Charlie & Mouse Even Better (Charlie & Mouse #3)
  • Charlie & Mouse Outdoors