Start by marking “Playing the Player (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #3)” as Want to Read:
Playing the Player (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #3)

Playing the Player (Sydney Smoke Rugby #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
After a long history with crappy guys, high school teacher Em Newman is going man-vegan. Four months of revirginization has opened her eyes to her doormat imitation but, baby’s got spine now, and some smooth-talking—even if he is sinfully hot—rugby player, won’t be adding her as a notch anytime soon.

Lincoln Quinn loves rugby, women, and poker. And he likes to win at all th
Published January 30th 2017 by Entangled Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Playing the Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing the Player

Stacey is Sassy
description

Too easy is no fun…make them work for it.

As an Aussie reading an Aussie author's work that's set in Australia, it's a bit of a game of hit and miss. There’s a fine line between OTT…true blue, she’ll be right mate and how we really are. Amy Andrews nails it. It’s real and still, manages to be extremely humorous. Yes, we do have a few dodgy terms that have some people scrunching their noses, shaking their heads and says “what???” But, for me, this story is exactly how Aussie blokes and chicks act,
Claire Robinson
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - "You have a lot of balls" Stars!

Amy Andrews, returns to the Sydney Smoke Rugby series with book three, and the affable Lincoln Quinn’s story.

If you have read the previous two books, you will know that Linc is known as being somewhat the ladies’ man, a label he wears with quite a bit of pride, and I must admit I do have a particular soft spot for the reformed bad-boy trope.

"There aint’ nothing that can keep this groin down."

For the most part Amy delivered up a story that worked in that reg
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description

Good God..this is my second DNF today and again it's more of a "ME" issue than the books issue. I must be in a mood today. *lol* I LOVED the first two in this series and will for sure be reading the NEXT book in this series.

First I knew going in it was going to be iffy because I didn't particularly like Lincoln in the previous books. I am also not crazy when an author makes a hero out of a character that was a ubber manwhore in the previous books. I like it even less when said manwhore brags ab
Nicola
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Considering this book contains a trope (loosely) that I'm that not fond of--a bet--Playing the Player played out exceptionally well and has become my favourite in the Sydney Smoke series to date.

description

I have to admit the opening chapter of this book does neither the story or the characters any particular favours, because what I'm sure was intended to be amusing banter between the guys just makes them look like a bunch of prats with zero respect for women. But Amy Andrews quickly turned thi
Irene
4 stars

Playing the Player was a fun, sweet and steamy read, I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the storyline, I enjoyed the characters, both Linc and Em were entertaining, funny, smart and passionate people who together made a great couple.
I loved watching their relationship develop, what started as a bet for Linc soon became so much more. He never expected to have such strong feelings for Em.

description

Overall, Playing the Player by Amy Andrews is a well written, highly entertaining and steamy read.
A wonderfu
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo fb87c6596e6ebfdf5f6b0121ec02a8_zps81hwwb30.gif

I loved the first two books of the Sydney Smoke Rugby Series and so I couldn’t wait for Lincoln Quinn’s book. The title Playing the Player alone will give readers a backdrop as to who Linc is. Yes, Linc is the bad boy manwhore but in this story he is the reformed player who has eyes only for Em Newman.

As much as I love the idea of Linc changing his ways, I did find the connection between Em and Linc lacking in a sense. I just didn’t fee
Elaine
I’d enjoyed other stories in this series but was wary of this one as the main male character is Lincoln Quinn (aka Linc), a self confessed manwhore and betting man. When the first chapter has him agreeing to something which made him seem a self-opinionated, disrespectful jerk, well, it seemed my caution had been justified. Then, however, Amy Andrews steps in and weaves her word magic and turns the story all around and he becomes the adorable, admirable reformed rake! Phew!!

High school science te
Jessica Alcazar
Amy Andrews does it again! Spectacular book, spectacular series! I was highly amused thru the entire thing. What could possibly go wrong when you go after a girl based on a bet ?!?! Let the games begin ....

I loved this story for its characterization. These are young people. They think they know it all. That's just how 20somethings are, right?! Now I'm normally not a huge fan of this age group because they make me want to poke my eyes out with an ice-pick, but I rather enjoyed Linc and Em. They
Juliana Philippa
[2.5 stars] Bottom Line. Didn't do it for me; they were obsessed with the physical, the heroine became increasingly annoying, they are constantly obsessed with thinking about how the other person is, and the last 10% feels very rushed. This is my first book by Amy Andrews and I would definitely be open to trying her again. One of the problems I had was some of the cliché aspects of the main characters, so don't know if that's a pattern with her, but I hope not.

Basics. Book is a sports romance se
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2017/01...

A rugby star who plays hard on and off the field meets his match in a teacher who has no problem making him work for it in Playing the Player . Amy Andrews has a gift for penning romances that are funny and sexy, and this book definitely has humor and heat in spades.

Linc and Em charmed me with their banter and were definitely hot together – both things I expected going into this book. What I didn’t expect was them
Helen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had this one waiting for me since release day and I have been really looking forward to it seeing as how much I loved the first two in the series and boy did I love it MS Andrews has such a way with words she brings out the best on the pages and this one is a hot sexy awesome story one that I could barely put down I laughed and smiled throughout this journey to a very sexy HEA with Rugby star Lincoln Quinn and school teacher Em Newman, my advice get yourself a drink and sit back and enjoy ...more
Roxanne
Mmmm, there's just something appealing about those hot rugby player types, I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe the itty bitty shorts? Anyhoo, after reading "Playing it Cool", the second in this series, in under two days and loving every minute, I was super stoked to pick up "Playing the Player". Did it live up to my lofty expectations? Uh, not quite. Let me explain:
The good:

This was a speedy read, with fairly quick pacing.

I appreciated the lack of angst. For example, when Em found out about t
Melyssa Winchester

Title: Playing the Player
Author: Amy Andrews
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Sports - Rugby
Series or Standalone: Standalone Series (Sydney Smoke Rugby #3)
Rating: ★★★★1/2 Stars (Rounded to 5* for Goodreads and Amazon)

Review

description

I am in love with this rugby team.

I’m the first to admit that I don’t understand a lick of it, so I’m super thankful with each book that the author goes out of her way to explain some terms, but from life inside the game to life outside of it for this unique band of characters, I
Maria Rose
I’ve become pretty partial to rugby romances lately, and Amy Andrews is high on my list of go-to authors when it comes to mixing sports and steam in fun and exciting romances. I really enjoyed the first two stories in the Sydney Smoke Rugby series, in which secondary character Lincoln Quinn is clearly a man set on experiencing all the action he can get while advancing his rugby career. In Playing the Player, there’s one woman who just doesn’t seem to be into him at all, something he can’t quite ...more
Alison
Three stars? Three and a half stars? can't decide.

Harper's best friend Em is a teacher. After a spate of bad news boyfriends where she was picking out wedding china while they were legging it out the door she has sworn off men. Four months of abstinence have helped her get a perspective although the delicious Lincoln Quinn, her best friend's fiancee Dex's team mate sorely tests her resolve.

Lincoln loves women, rugby and gambling - not necessarily in that order. He fancies Harper's bubbly best fr
Angela
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I completely adore the Sidney Smoke Rugby series by Amy Andrews and Playing the Player is the third of the series. While you don’t have to read the first two to understand this novel because they are all standalone, it would be worth reading them. Em is a high school teacher who is sick of falling for the player so after a four-month hiatus from men the last thing she wants is to catch the eye of the biggest player she knows. All Lincoln needs to fulfill his life is rugby, woman, and poker. When ...more
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
***ARC Provided by the Publisher***

I enjoyed this one. Em and Lincoln were fun, and funny, together and separately. I liked who they were as people, I liked how dedicated they each were to making something with them work...even though it took a bit for them to get on the same page with this.

Sometimes, it is fun to read a book that is easy, that flows, and that you enjoy. There was nothing about this book that made it all that full of angst, and the issue with the 2 of them was both a little pred
Bette Hansen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!! Linc was one of those characters in the prior books that I didn't really care for but I must say Amy Andrews wrote a story that changed my mind about him. Linc is an unrepentant man-whore and has no plans of changing. He's young, not bad looking, and his profession has women lining up for him. Yet the one woman who turns him down has him intrigued. Yes there is a bet and yes men are idiots. But the bet isn't what is driving Linc to pursue Em. Taking the time to really get to know he ...more
The_Book_Queen
A very sexy read with some fun moments. A bit rushed at the end and I wish a few scenes had been shown rather than jumping ahead to move the book along, but overall a good read and one I will rec. I'll be back to try more from Andrews and especially this series.

Full review will go up on the blog later this week.
Anja ~ Once Upon a Page ⚜️ Books and Tequila
I think the only thing I don’t like about this series is that the books are always so damn short. Playing the Player is no exception from the rest of the series—it’s hot, funny, intriguing, and heartwarmingly beautiful. Linc and Em couldn’t be any more different, but it’s what ultimately brings them together. Sometimes opposites do attract.

We’ve known Linc since book one, and we’ve known he was the biggest player of them all. Only caring about rugby, money, and women. But what about his past mad
Jeananna
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think that Amy could write anything that I didn't LOVE!!

This group of men that have created a family of their own are so strong, alpha, funny and yummy!! This series strike me as different from so many others because it truly revolves around the men and their friendships and dynamic with each other. The women get along and are even BFFs in the case of this installment but Amy keeps the story about the team and the current books couple.

Linc falls hard but embraces it and the feelings her
Amanda
description
So I was not really a fan of Lincoln in the first 2 books. He was kind of a major jerk and player, but when he finally met his match he showed what a gentleman and all around good guy he could be. She makes him work for a date with her and you can see past his playboy exterior to the man he really is. Let's just say that while my mind is not 100% changed I am a fan of Linc's now.

Em is a very smart rational woman who doesn't take any of Lincoln's normal crap. There was a moment that could have b
Elaine
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 3-stars
I loved the first two books in this series so I'm really disappointed how this one turned out. I wasn't a fan of Linc in the previous books and I didn't warm up to him even if he was the "hero" of this one (and I use the term 'hero' very loosely here). Also, any book that makes me skip pages because the story is dragging (especially if the book is only 170 pages long) doesn't deserve more than 3 stars imho.
Danielle from Short and Sassy
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I never knew I liked rugby until I read this book!! Cute teacher and hot rugby star!! Awesome mix to make a great story! Loved it!
Hooked On Books
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

4 out of 5 stars

Competition is what drives Lincoln Quinn. The sexy, rugby star doesn’t shy away from a bet. So when his teammates make wages as to how long it will take him to sleep with Em Newman, he is all in; even if she seems to hate him.

Em Newman is definitely attracted to Lincoln but she is done falling for bad boys. They will just break her heart. But the more time she spends with Lincoln, the more she is falling in love with him. She really hopes he isn’t the player he seems to be.

Lincol
Rosemary K
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lincoln Quinn is a well known rugby player for the Sydney Smoke. He loves the game as well as hanging out with his teammates. He doesn't plan to tie himself down. No wife and family for him. He plans to play the field. He's attracted to Em, but she constantly rebuffs him. She doesn't want a fling. She wants it all - love, marriage and a family. To win a bet, Linc pursues her, but the jokes on him when he falls for her. What happens next is a passionate romance between the Rugby super star and th ...more
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Any chance we get to love someone, even if it’s only for a little while, isn’t wasted time.”

I love that line. That line made the whole book—and the element that wasn't quite sitting right—work for me. Because love isn't wasted. At least, not for Linc and Em.

This is now the second book I've read from Amy Andrews, and it was just as good as the first one I read… which was the second in the Sydney Smoke Rugby series. Follow me? What I'm saying is this: you don't have to have read all (or any) of
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review of Playing the Player (Sydney Smoke Rugby #3) by Amy Andrews

Review done for Hooked on Books & CherryOBlossoms Promotions

4 out of 5 stars

Amber at WickedGoodReads
Well.. it looks like I might be in the minority on this one, but im gonna have to call Playing the Player just an OK read for me.
Now, before I get stoned.. I would like to take the opportunity to say that the Brazen line from Entangled is my absolute favorite. I know the Sydney Smoke Rugby series has a wildly popular reputation and so does Amy Andrews, the author. She's amazing.
I knew going into Playing the Player who Linc was and frankly, what he was. As the title indicates, hes a player. He'
Tania's Book Blog
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
**ARC received in exchange for an honest review**

Linc & Em, lol. This was a short book but kept you wanting to turn the page to see what happened next.

Linc was a popular rugby player that didn't believe in love or marriage. Em wanted the total opposite. Em best friend was married to one of Linc's teammates/friend so they always ran into each other. Linc was attracted to Em and Em always shut him firm because of his reputation as a player/Manwhore.

Linc and his teammates made a bet about how
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Amy Andrews is a multi-published, award- winning author of 50+ romance novels across both traditional and digital platforms. She writes for Harlequin Mills and Boon, Entangled, Harper Collins Australia, Momentum Publishing, Escape Publishing and Tule. She's sold in excess of a million books worldwide and has been translated into over a dozen languages. In her spare time she is a PICU nurse and mot ...more
More about Amy Andrews...

Sydney Smoke Rugby (4 books)
  • Playing by Her Rules (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #1)
  • Playing It Cool (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #2)
  • Playing With Forever (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #4)
“Probably just as well. Maybe with all that testosterone walking out the door, the insane urge to hump Lincoln Quinn’s leg would walk right out as well. Because that was exactly how she felt every time she looked at him.
Like she was in heat.
Within minutes, the restaurant had emptied out to only a few non-team wedding guests. Her nemesis was nowhere to be seen, and Em congratulated herself on her self-control as she eased off the bar stool.
Embarrassing leg-humping avoided—bravo!”
0 likes
“So, what...in the meantime, you just...” He glanced at her then back at the road. “Deny yourself?”

Em gave a half smile at the incredulity in his voice. Clearly it was a foreign concept to him. “It’s okay. I have a battery operated boyfriend awaiting my attention when I get home.”

He shot her a quick, open-mouthed stare, his lips parted enticingly. He looked so stunned at her admission she couldn’t help but laugh.
“Sorry, didn’t you know that women did that, too? Did I shock you?”

“Not at all.” He recovered quickly, a big smile splitting his profile. “I’m just trying to decide which is sexier. Self-denial or self-abuse.”
0 likes