Start by marking “The Flexible Vegetarian: Flexitarian recipes to cook with or without meat and fish” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

"Wonderfully versatile and tasty recipes you can choose to cook with or without meat or fish, to suit your companions, mood and budget."
Peter Gordon

"As the owner of a veggie restaurant for the last 27 years I've seen fads and trends come and go. Jo's book tackles every possibility in a fun, informed and tasty way. Wish I'd written it." Simon Rimmer

Whether you’re an occ
Published September 26th 2017 by Frances Lincoln

To ask other readers questions about The Flexible Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flexible Vegetarian

My son has a friend who comes over often and typically stays through meals. She's vegetarian. We're not. And spaghetti and cheese pizza is getting old real quick. I know these are far from the only vegetarian meals I could be making. Sometimes I make black bean tacos, broccoli and cheese baked potatoes, hummus and veggie sandwiches... but I need some serious help. When I saw this book on netgalley, I snapped it up asap. "Flexitarian recipes for dishes with and without meat" ding ding ding!

The Fl
Girl
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
The premise of The Flexible Vegetarian is that some people enjoy eating vegetarian dishes without necessarily completely avoiding meat in their diet. Thus, every recipe is provided with a suggestion how it could be made with meat. I cook vegetarian a lot, so I am always on a lookout for new sources of inspiration.

The book is beautifully photographed (seriously, I loved looking at the pictures) and neatly organized into thematic chapters.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter on soups and I think I
Anniek
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trying out recipes is something I love to do. With two young children, a busy social life and work I don't have a lot of spare time to spend in my kitchen. When I look at new recipes to make, they always have to be relatively easy to prepare. They shouldn't take hours and have to be something my kids and husband all like to eat. I went through The Flexible Vegetarian to look at the recipes together with my son. As soon as he saw the recipe for the Southern Mac & Cheese, it was obvious what I ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Some great ideas here - a book we all need to have on our shelves - helpful for both vegetarian and meat eaters (and cheese lovers) alike . I loved the Dips and Bits section. Great for #MeatlessMonday recipe ideas.
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
So I was Vegetarian for 5 years and then I met my current partner and he loves meat. Even pork, which I never touched even when I ate meat. A religious reason and now I don't eat it because I know how bad it is for you. Not that any meat these days is really good for you... I'm getting off topic.

I stopped being a vegetarian because it was too hard (too expensive) to cook two different meals every single mealtime. I wish he were up to trying more of my kind of foods as I tried his nasty bacon on
Jeimy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this ARC from NetGalley. Although I read it after Hurricane Maria ravaged my island, I look forward to a time when there is food available in the supermarkets so that I may try the dozens of recipes that captured my eye.
Claire Coupland
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the style of this book a lot. The photography and design is contemporary and elegant, a beautiful book.

The recipes were excellent, a great idea to make recipes that can be adapted to suit all needs. The store cupboard section was well thought out and provided me some handy ideas of ways to add taste to recipes already make. The variety of recipes is good, some classics and some creative use of ingredients.

A good staple recipe book, that I could imagine keeping on the shelf to be delved i
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like books like this, offering approachable recipes with a vegetarian focus. Many of the dishes are familiar, with small twists on the way I might make it: shaksuka, sweet potato-bean tacos, vegetable soups. I was pleased to find some beautiful and creative use of paneer, turmeric, celery root, barley, and other ingredients I like but tend to use the same way over and over.

I received a review copy from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Christine
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galley
A fantastic premise for a cookbook, The Flexible Vegetarian appreciates those of us who aren't strictly vegetarian or vegan. Amazing recipes that my whole, varied family enjoyed. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the accompanying writing is entertaining, engaging, funny and realistic. Perfect for busy families, those looking for healthy recipes and the Vegetarian-ish folks out there! If you're a Meatless-Monday person, this book is for you!
Eileen Hall
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This very useful book is ideal for anyone who would like to go vegetarian, but wants to ease themselves into it.
The recipes though meatfree can be adapted so that all members of the family and friends can enjoy a meal together.
Recommended.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Quarto Publishing Group via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Patty
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful cookbook. It is also a useful cookbook. The author presents the reader with a cookbook in the traditional sense in that you open it up and find listings and categories for various types of recipes. Vegetarian recipes as you would guess from the title of the book. What is the flexible aspect? Ms. Pratt offers alternatives for making the same recipe with the addition of meat or fish. You might think this is a simple concept but you would be surprised at how delicate a balance i ...more
Larissa Lio
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Right from the beginning this cookbook presents you with a beautiful cover, followed by equally beautiful lifestyle images inside and enlightening stories. The Flexible Vegetarian is a cookbook for vegetarians or someone interested in living a vegetarian lifestyle but still have carnivorous people to feed.

The cookbook is organized based off of plate sizes ‘breakfast/brunch, soups/broths, small plates, big plates, dips/bits’ and followed by a section ‘perfectly cooked meat/fish’ for the meat mea
Janet
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
From Publisher - Whether you’re an occasional meat-eater, a vegetarian who needs to cook for meat-eaters, or even a dedicated veggie, you’ll find something for you in this book filled with delicious and practical flexitarian recipes for every lifestyle from celebrated chef Jo Pratt. Choose between cooking each recipe as a completely vegetarian dish, or select to add one of the simple meat, chicken or fish additions, making them suitable for meat-free days and meat-eaters alike.

This book has some
Pamela Lilley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great cookbook for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
I have been a vegetarian for nearly 25 years, my family however are avid meat eaters (pig and chicken being their favourite). Cooking separate meals is always a pain, and to be honest, they don't always like my meal choice. So it is refreshing to find a vegetarian recipe book with advice on how to make it suitable for meat eaters. The photographs in this book look truly mouthwatering and had the desired effect of making me want to try them a
Kristine
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
The Flexible Vegetarian by Jo Pratt is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early September.

A short, sweet, and straightforward look at breakfast, soups, appetizers, entrees, and dip recipes that are vegetarian, but conclude with a postscript on how meats and fish could be added to each dish. The photos seem to be zoomed and hover about five inches above the plate and otherwise seem to be looking up and around an uptown metro neighborhood with its chimney tops, pavement, and tidy doorways. My f
Kylie Thompson
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks of all skill levels, people curious about vegetarianism.
These recipes? They’re tasty. They’re affordable. And I’m looking forward to trying almost all of them- even the ones that use tofu. There are a few ingredients that might not already be in your kitchen, but overwhelmingly, they’re easy enough to source that it doesn’t feel like a massive undertaking. There are enough varieties of flavour, too, to keep it interesting. Global flavours, all simple and generally quick to bring to the plate.

My full review is live at Reviewers of Oz (https://reviewer
Victoria Peipert
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a beautifully done book of vegetarian recipes with optional meat enhancements. I love the images and overall the recipes sound delicious and fairly reasonable to make - nothing to0 complicated and all directions are easy to understand. My only gripe is that I don't feel like the possible meat additions are very creative and feel very repetitive. I don't want sardines in any dish and so many had that as the only option. So while it was a good attempt to create a "flexible" cookbook it de ...more
GONZA
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book for many reason, but mostly because the recipes are clear, well explained and it also gave me options if I don't want them to be completely vegetarian!

Questo libro mi é piaciuto per molti motivi, ma fondamentalmente perché le ricette sono spiegate bene, utilizza ingredienti "normali" e soprattutto fornisce un'alternativa al lettore che preferisce inserire anche proteine animali!

THANKS TO NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
Amanda
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good recipes that I could see myself making but also some recipes with ingredients I have never heard of/used before. Not a bad recipe book but I tend to like simple recipes and easy to make meals and not all of the recipes seemed simple with ingredients and preparation.
Rhonda Lomazow
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely books full of delicious clear recipies each one looks so delicious so tempting whether your vegetarian or not.Thanks to Quarto publishers &net Galley for free copy for honest review,
Joodith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a vegetarian of more than fifty years I'm often on the lookout for new recipe ideas, and this interesting book gives us veggie recipes with suggestions for those who like a little meat on their plate.

Some of the recipes are a bit arty-farty, which is quite common with vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. For example: Aromatic tea-smoked mushroom ramen in which you, the cook, smoke your own ingredients, or Gnudi with pea shoot pesto and asparagus – what is Gnudi? You might well ask. Apparently it's
Jessica
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great ideas for someone who prefers eating more vegetables but wants to remain flexible when it comes to meat.
Alexis Zietlow