Start by marking “A Casualty of War (Bess Crawford, #9)” as Want to Read:
A Casualty of War (Bess Crawford, #9)

A Casualty of War

(Bess Crawford #9)

Though the Great War is nearing its end, the fighting rages on. While waiting for transport back to her post, Bess Crawford meets Captain Alan Travis from the island of Barbados. Later, when he’s brought into her forward aid station disoriented from a head wound, Bess is alarmed that he believes his distant English cousin, Lieutenant James Travis, shot him. Then the Captai ...more
ebook, epub, 400 pages
Published September 25th 2017 by William Morrow/HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Casualty of War, please sign up.
Sue What's hilarious about this is that she actually has her own car. It's mentioned & used in earlier books. It's in storage at her parent's house.…moreWhat's hilarious about this is that she actually has her own car. It's mentioned & used in earlier books. It's in storage at her parent's house. But if she drove her own car, how would we get to enjoy Simon in the books? LOL(less)

Maureen Carden
These are just a few musings rather than a review since so many others have written terrific reviews.

Once again the Todd mother and son team have written a book full of detail that puts you in the trenches, going over the hill or in the aid stations of WWI. Their ability to put you right with the characters has been a hallmark of both the Bess Crawford series and the Ian Rutledge series.

It makes me crazy there isn't any inner life expressed by Bess. Hey, there is a marria
Rita
This is my first foray into the world of Bess Crawford and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. I received this ARC from William Morrow in exchange for an honest review. I was expecting this to be in the cozy mystery category but I would not put it there.
World War I has finally come to an end for Bess Crawford, who has spent the war at the front line, helping heal wounded soldier's so that they can return to their regiments or be sent home, depending on the severity of their wo
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I'm a big fan of the Bess Crawford series and I have read almost all the books so far. A Casualty of War shows just what a wonderful mother and son writing team Caroline Todd and Charles Todd are when it comes to writing books.

In A Casualty of War must Bess help Captain Alan Travis who is convinced that his cousin shot him, but it's impossible since his cousin couldn't have been the one to do that so now his sanity is questioned. Bess together with Sergeant-Major Simon Brandon travel
Mainer207
Not my favorite. I felt this dragged a lot. I also got the feeling that Bess should be enjoying her leave with her mother and not butting in on behalf of the Captain. Just me I guess.

I'm glad Bess and Simon were together at least. Will we ever see a romance there?

I was a bit surprised by the opening to Chapter 2. It states that Bess had returned from Paris after recovering from an injury. That's it? No more information on that? I had to go back to see what I missed and there was not
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
The war is over, but Bess Crawford is still incurably nosy.
Linda Baker
This is the first Bess Crawford I have read, and I confess that I am underwhelmed. Despite the setting in a period that fascinates me it just didn't "click." Perhaps if I had read others in the series, I might like it better, but Bess and the other characters were not particularly exciting. It seemed to be written purely to see how many plot twists could be packed in. The book just droned on and on. I did finish it so I'll give it an "OK."
Aerykah
I think this may be my favorite in the series so far! (I say "so far" because I'm really hoping there will be more Bess Crawford books!)
I would seriously love to see this series made into a tv series! Listening to the audiobooks makes me feel like I'm watching movies anyway and I have been thoroughly enjoying myself!!
Beth
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I’ve read all of the Charles Todd books—both series, and I am definitely a fan. Both protagonists (Ian Rutledge and Bess Crawford) are admirable, resourceful, likable, and skilled. The historical detail is always riveting and impeccable. This book, the new entry in the Bess Crawford series, is no exception. It is set in the waning weeks of World War I and the first few days after it ends on 11/11/1918. Bess is near the front lines in France tending to wounded when in the course of weeks tends th ...more
Marlene
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And that’s how it seems for much of A Casualty of War, as every time that Bess Crawford attempts to make things better for Captain Alan Travis, she seems to end up digging the poor man an even bigger hole. Bess being Bess, she feels more than a bit guilty about it, and a whole lot responsible.

And it’s that sense of responsibility that gets her in deep trouble. As it usually does.
Kathy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to read the books written by this team and continue to prefer the Ian Rutledge books. Bess Crawford is more than capable when it comes to nursing on the battlefield. This part of the book is compelling as the devastation that occurs when one side retreats is described movingly - what with the Germans planting bombs in gardens and ovens to take lives after they have left even though Crawford and crew tend to the wounded German soldiers left behind.
Then comes her leave where she devote
Lauren
A Casualty of War
4 Stars

In the days following the Armistice, WWI nurse Bess Crawford learns that a former patient, Captain Alan Travis, is believed to be delusional and has been confined in an asylum. Convinced that there may be some truth behind the captain's claims that his cousin tried to kill him on the battlefield, Bess travels to Suffolk and unwittingly stirs up a hornet's nest of intrigue and murder.

Unlike some of the previous installments, Bess's decision to investigate Trav
Mary
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I guess I have hit the end of my Bess Crawford books I intend to read... she is always more concerned with her patients, their families etc etc except her parents and friends and families... she gets her friend Simon to let her do whatever she wants... even when he puts up a bit of a fight ... she has her way... they have to call in her father to get them out of trouble... luckily he is a high up .. muckity muck... and can help her out of her messes... doesn't seem possible that post world war 1 ...more
Jill Meyer
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charles Todd is an American mother-son writing team who have two WW1-era series going on. The first, "Inspector Ian Rutledge", is set slightly after the war but with frequent flashbacks to the horror of the war. The second, "Bess Crawford", is set in WW1, though by their newest book, "Casualty of War", the war has finally(!) ended and Bess is tasked with some duties that include following up on an attempted murder at the front. The shooting was of a British officer, by a suspected British office ...more
Manda Collins
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Casualty of War is another fast-paced, intricately woven tale of murder and war set during the days just before and after Armistice Day, ending combat in WWI. A patient's claim that his distant cousin tried to kill him on the battlefield leads Bess and family friend, Sergeant-Major Simon Brandon, into a village in Suffolk where all is not as it seems. As she and Simon try to prove her patient is right about what he saw, the villagers try to close ranks to protect the Lady of the manor. But som ...more
Shelly
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable mystery from the Todds. The puzzle of Captain Travis and who shot him was engaging and, as always, it was wonderful to spend time with Bess and Simon.
I'm left wondering what will come next. Which of Bess's wartime friends will we see again? Will she ever figure out that Simon Brandon is in love with her? Might she still meet the Todd's other protagonist, Ian Rutledge (I posed this question to Caroline at Magna cum Murder this year)?
Staci
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Is this the end of the series?? In this ninth book of the Bess Crawford Series, WWI ends. I am curious to see if this will be the end of the series or if Bess will carry forward in a different circumstance.

Much like Jessica Fletcher, Bess is curious about things and continues to dig and prod and ultimately bring Simon on board to help solve the mystery. Another interesting adventure with Bess.
LJ
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
First Sentence: Lieutenant Morrison died as dawn broke on the Friday morning, a casualty of war.

Field nurse Bess Crawford treats a patient, Captain Travis, disoriented from a head wound who believes Lt. James Travis, a distant cousin and Englishman, deliberately shot him. Although released, he is brought back still insisting on the same story. Upon Bess’ return to England, she finds the captain strapped to a hospital bed and being treated for a brain injury. Bess enlists the help of Sgt.
Tonstant Weader
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A Casualty of War is the ninth book in Charles Todd’s Bess Crawford series. Working at a forward station on the front lines of World War I, Bess encounters Alan Travis, a young man heading toward the front, and enjoys a short conversation with him. She sees him next after he’s been shot, a graze to his head, a wound he insists was a deliberate attempt to kill him by a fellow British soldier. Talking to Bess about it, he realizes the shooter is likely his distant cousin. He returns to the front a ...more
Maggie Boyd
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The term war casualty refers to anyone who dies of injuries sustained in battle. The phrasing seems almost benign, as if the horrible loss were simply a mild byproduct of a causal event. In A Casualty of War the writing duo of Charles Todd brings home the fact that war is not in the least casual but awful, exhausting and debilitating and that the causalities of that event are not just those who fall on the battlefield or are wounded there, but all those who stand on those bloody fields and every ...more
Lisa Johnson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Title: A Casualty of War (A Bess Crawford Mystery #9)
Author: Charles Todd
Pages: 378
Year: 2017
Publisher: William Morrow
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
Bess Crawford is once again called on to help a soldier in need. This time the soldier, Alan Travis, claims that a soldier in a British uniform tried to kill him, a British soldier himself and not once, but twice. The soldier looks very much like Alan’s cousin. Alan suffers a head wound that causes the aid station
Shannon
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two reluctant stars because this book was losing credibility as well as readability during the last third of the way. Do not be fooled by the poignant cover of Bess (presumably) gazing mournfully around a twilit battlefield cemetery; this story quickly moves away from the somber, serious side of war to the most twisted farce of mistaken identities, competing heirs, wild-goose chases and ludicrous near-misses by inept snipers that I have ever had the misfortune to read.
The story gets off t
Brenda
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May I highly recommend the Bess Crawford series. It is a period series which takesq place during World War I. Sister Bess Crawford is a military Nurse who serves on the front line. She comes from an upper echelon military family. In each of the books, Nurse Crawford becomes personally involved in events and with people she encounters as a result of her military assignments. This enables her to use her “detective mind” to bring about a resolve to each isssue. There is the detective/mystery elemen ...more
Pamela
I love Bess Crawford war mysteries. This one was a gem. She is with Simon trying to help a soldier who was shot two different times by the same British officer, that looks like a member of his family. The severe head injury has the doctors feeling he is suffering with some form of shell shock, which lands him into a military psyche ward. Bess believes him, and on her time home she is bound to prove he is not mentally disturbed. He is also an heir to a large estate, through a cousin he got to kno ...more
Shirley Wetzel
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Great War is coming to an end, but the casualties are still trickling in to the aid station in France. Nurse Bess Crawford meets a charming young soldier, Captain Adam Travis, just before he heads into battle. She sees him in the casualty ward twice more. His first wound is not serious; the second gets him a place on the ship back to England. Bess can hardly recognize the man she meet just weeks ago. He is disturbed, insisting that the man who shot him both times was his cousin.

B
Sam Sattler
"A Casualty of War" is a tale about one man's obsessive quest to prove that a fellow British officer deliberately tried to kill him during a WWI battle in France.

As it turns out, the man targeted for assassination has unknowingly become heir to a title and mansion in England even though he has never met anyone in the English branch of his family (he was born and raised elsewhere). The mother-son writing team known as "Charles Todd" tells an interesting story here, but too many of the characters
Elisha (lishie)
Unsure

Bess Crawford is beginning to feel like Angela Lansbury’s Murder She Wrote character... Yes, she’s a nurse & therefore always with the injured. But really? She always gets those who’ve met foul play & worse still, sticks her nose into their business. This has felt the least plausible story to me yet... Gave it 3*s because I still enjoyed visiting beloved characters. On that note, not a standalone.
Susan Morris
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good entry in Bess Crawford series, as she tries to help an officer investigate if another British officer tried to kill him, or if he’s going mad. The mother, Mrs. Travis made me crazy that she was so ridiculous in her denial of her son’s will because of a past family feud but I suppose it could be realistic in the time period. (Library)
Melanie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series, and it is interesting to see what the characters are up to post war. I really want to see Bess in a relationship, with Simon preferably, but I hope a romance is in her future. That notwithstanding, this was a good mystery with plenty of English customs to satisfy this Anglophile.
Peggy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough about this mother son writing team. Their books are crisp and well written. Written in the first person, you feel the urgency Bess has in helping the Captain that she has nursed twice at the Front in the last days of WWI. The characters they create as the book proceeds are so well defined, you feel as if you know them. I can't get enough of their books.
Nicole
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite in the series but still quite good! I relate to Bess Crawford...we are both very nosey and see it as our place to get involved.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
A Casualty of War Book Discussion 2 9 Sep 05, 2018 04:33PM

• To Die But Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • Death in the Stars (Kate Shackleton, #9)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Shoulder the Sky (World War I, #2)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)
  • Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17)
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (John Madden, #2)
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • The Laws of Murder (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #8)
  • The Tidal Poole (Elizabeth I, #2)
  • A Golden Cage (Newport Gilded Age #2)
  • The Chalice of Blood (Sister Fidelma, #21)
  • Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness, #10)
  • Old Scores (Barker & Llewelyn, #9)
Charles Todd is the pen name used by the mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd. Together they write the Ian Rutledge and Bess Crawford Series. They have published two standalone mystery novels and many short stories.

Bess Crawford (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2)
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3)
  • An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford, #4)
  • A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford, #5)
  • An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford, #6)
  • A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7)
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)