Start by marking “Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes (Frazzled, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes (Frazzled, #2)

Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes

(Frazzled #2)

Abbie Wu is FRAZZLED as she navigates locker thieves, diabolical cats, and other hazards of middle school.

This is the second book in a New York Times bestselling graphic novel series that NPR's All Things Considered called "hilarious"!

Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year she’ll run for class president and get a brand-new shiny locker. Until—she doesn’t…

In her seco
Published September 26th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes

Lata
Abbie Wu is back and stressing again, but about new and different things. A new addition to the family (a cat who appears to have it in for Abbie), a new locker partner, and a science partner for a major science project. There’s so much, no, too much change all at once for Abbie, and how she deals with all this is amusing and helps her accept that not all change is bad.
Jaime Arkin
As the mother of a reluctant reader, you can just imagine how incredibly happy it makes me when we actually argue about who gets to read a book first… and that’s been the case with the Frazzled books from Booki Vivat. It also helps that he’s starting middle school this year!

In the second Frazzled book, Abbie Wu has so much going on! A new family member in the form of a cat, an unexpected locker partner… and a complicated assignment for her science class!

I love that Vivat makes the issues that
Emily
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute. I think I liked this more than the first one
Gail
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Love the cover. Tis book is so funny and my grand kids will love it! It reminds me of the Wimpy Kid books or the James Patterson books like this.
Mehsi
Middle school just got a bit more exciting for Abbie! More frazzling, dazzling, and cats!

I am so happy I have a chance to read this one, I just loved the first book and have been excited for the second book since I saw the announcement on Twitter!

In this one we have locker thieves, cats and them being diabolical, new friends, inventions, and of course Abbie being frazzled a lot!

Abbie's life was appearing to be on the rise, but then stuff happens and she is doing all she can to not just curl up i
Heidi
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I actually enjoyed this one more than the first one. Not sure why, maybe because Abbie doesn't break any rules in this one, she's just struggling to cope with the pressures and stresses of middle school. In this book, Abbie is trying to cope with some new challenges in her life: a pet cat at home that doesn't seem to like her, sharing a locker that should have been hers with a new girl that she knows little about. And on top of that she has to partner up with the new girl in science on a major p ...more
Luke Reynolds
I’m surprised I enjoyed this more than the first book. But after leaving behind Abbie’s world for a year, it felt so good to come back and embrace her anxieties about middle school and see her make a new friend, attempt a science project, and realize life is all about how you see it. It was inspiration and really hit me hard, especially since my middle school/junior high days are over and I’m set to be a college student in August. EEK! That definitely makes me frazzled.

Also, the doodles are stil
Eva Najeh
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, english
that was so hilarious,
I felt I was the mean character, cause my life just worked like hers!
ant way, LOVED IT.
Abbie Wu is a refreshing main character that sprinkles bits of truth here and there about the struggles of middle school years while managing to keep the book interesting and funny.
Ms. Yingling
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Abby has decided that Murphy's Law is absolutely true. Just when she thought middle school would be somewhat okay (After Frazzled), everything starts to go wrong. Her sister Clara's cat, Felix, is out to get her, she has to come up with an idea for Invention Convention, and her locker has been taken over by a LOCKER THIEF. Luckily, just about the time that Abby is going to lose it right in the school hallway, the other person using her locker shows up. And
Sara Strand
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have a kid who doesn't really enjoy reading, especially chapter books, because it feels daunting, I am a big fan of graphic novels and books like this that are similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid or The Dork Diaries books, there isn't a lot of text and it's broken up by illustrations. It makes for a fast read (as an adult, I got through all 207 pages in an hour). It has characters and a story line that a lot of kids will relate to: the struggles of middle school, sharing a locker, trying to m ...more
Beth Rodgers
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes' by Booki Vivat is an adorable, illustrated story that not only proves a fast read, but also a truly enjoyable one. From the accurate and telling illustrations, to main character Abbie Wu's questioning and uncertain attitude about life in general, Vivat has crafted a story that anyone in middle school and beyond can relate to as they consider their own experiences.

Even though the story would have read well without the illustrations, they ar
J.
I received an ARC from the publisher via work, with no obligation to leave a personal review.

Booki Vivat's amazing doodles are back! I absolutely loved Frazzled, and I think I might even love this one more. Main character Abbie Wu has grown into herself a teensy bit more (she's still in sixth grade, after all--middle school!), so she's still anxious and dramatic, but that's tempered with some cautious optimism.

The adventures in this book are so fun and lively, dramatizing the everyday--a new cat
Jordan Cerenzio
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lori
I really enjoyed this sequel and I think younger readers will enjoy it as well but I don't think it has quite the same impact as the first. This one is very quick and short and didn't go very deep into any of the issues it covered. But I'm still excited for this one to come out and to be able to see the entire finished copy. My daughter loved the first one and I have no doubt that she'll love this one too. I like how it continues to deal with Abby's social issues and turns her inner thoughts int ...more
Carol Lance
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am sharing a book review by one of my students who had to do a review in exchange for the book.

Frazzled Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes is a very good book, in fact, I couldn't stop reading it was that good. This book is very detailed in feelings, Abbie Wu is the main character. Her best friends are Maxine and Logan and Abbie finds a new one, but I won't tell you who it is!!!

I highly recommend it to people around my age. I really enjoyed this book, I hope you do too!

Hailee

@harperc
Susie
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first Frazzled, but this one did not live up to it, for me at least. Maybe it's because as a former science teacher I've grown weary of the stereotype of the "Mad Scientist" teacher. Maybe it's because I've been through too many Invention Conventions. This one was not as original as the first. Granted, I listened to the audiobook on the first one, which was very well done; perhaps I would have enjoyed this more that way. Once again, this is a somewhat shorter book, which cou ...more
Melanie Dulaney
My "reluctant reader" library patrons will be excited to see this second installment in Vivat's Frazzled series, but I am not as thrilled with the mostly pictures, light on text, and even lighter on character and plot development title. Abbie Wu is a sixth grader dealing with all sorts of normal middle school aged woes--locker problems, partner projects in Science, a cat loved but everyone in the family but her, and even some middle child issues--but there just isn't anything truly memorable abo ...more
Kristine
I love this series so far and I don't understand the low ratings because the book doesn't conform to other books. This children's librarian totally disagrees with the dismissive idea that graphic novels can't be good books or that they're just for reluctant readers. There's a book for everyone! *steps off soapbox*

Booki Vivat's doodles convey Abbie Wu's life as a middle schooler perfectly and my middle school self would've loved feeling represented in a book. Not only is this character Asian Amer
Ms. Garr
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Grade 4 and up; even though this series focuses on protagonist Abbie Wu’s travails through middle school, the lower reading level and illustration-heavy style make it accessible for both younger readers and older reluctant readers. In this entry, Abbie struggles to go with the flow: she and a new girl at school have to share a locker, the family’s new pet cat makes her life miserable at home, she must give a presentation in front of the whole school at an Invention Convention. Abbie is neurotic ...more
L. Chase
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, hilarious, clever, and fun. I may have even liked this sequel better than the first book. The evil cat who is clearly planning to ruin Abbie's life was an especially delightful addition to the story. And unperturbed Jess was the perfect foil character to Abbie.

Like in the first book, Abbie's character is constantly frazzled in a way that creates funny situations and imaginative illustrations. Vivat's portrayal of middle school is so relatable. I found myself laughing out loud a lot. Th
Donna
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story about Abby who is looking forward to a new school year. She has lots of plans and determination. Unfortunately, she feels the universe has it out for her. Things start to go wrong from the first minute. Everything is a catastrophe. She has a locker thief, a diabolical cat, and a science project that she has to build. Through of this, Abby stays upbeat and determined to succeed.

Great story for those students who like humor, a positive main character, and lots of illustrations.

Thanks to
sinchan
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2018
I read Frazzled #1 last year around this time, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. In fact I actually prefer it to this sequel, which was bland in my opinion. I felt the storyline was sort of flat and generally not very interesting. Abbie, the protagonist, got on my nerves some of the time with her borderline outrageous dramatization of ordinary things.

The art was amazing, though, so hats off to Booki Vivat because I was captivated by her drawings!

All in all... an okay read, definitely not as amazing
H
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4th star for super kid appeal. This is the story of Abby, a 6th grade girl trying to get used to the move to middle school. When her locker is accidentally also assigned to the new girl, Abby discovers that she can make friends with someone whose happy, whatever happens it will be OK attitude is 180 degrees away from her own anxious anticipation of the worst. Very good for grades 4-6. Use to show growth mindset in a non-preachy, funny, Wimpy Kid-like read.
Theresa Grissom
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4th, 5th, middle-grade
Thanks to Edelweiss for an advance copy of this book!

If you loved book one, you are sure to love this one as well. These books are great for upper elementary and students ready to head to middle school. The first book was a big hit in my library at the end of last school year, especially for those students transitioning from graphics to chapter books. Looking forward to introducing this one to the students as well!
Tara Morrow
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
For once things are actually looking up for Abbie Wu.. this year she’ll run for class president and get a new shiny locker. Until.. she doesn’t.

This book was a really cute graphic novel and very easy to keep up with

this book would be great in any classroom setting. it teaches children how to handle things that don't always go the way they think it will.
Ava
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Really easy read and super similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It didn't make me have a laugh out loud moment or a so sad moment. I just felt like blah the whole time. Kind of funny. Not a deep book. More of for people who are forced to read a book and don't want to read a long book. Literally, I finished it in 30 minutes.
Morgen Simpson
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was very fun to read and I am really glad i decided to read it. one of my favorite parts is probably when she got an A on her presentation because it helped me understand that if i did one thing wrong always look on the bright side of what i got right! I recommend this to all people who like chapter books with some pictures.
Allison
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It takes a pretty darn good book for me to opt to read the next in a series. The first in this series met that standard, and this one did too. There is lovely balance between plot and character development, and the writing itself is definitely above average for a children's book. I was pretty disappointed that the third one won't be out until next year.
MaoMeow1035
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading level: 4th grade to 5th grade
Abbie Wu's school gets a new student. Her first impression of the girl is that she is a locker thief. But when she gets to know her, she is a good friend. Abbie and Jessica have to share a locker and are science partners. The two girls help each other through middle school and learn some lessons.
  • The Basque Dragon (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #2)
  • Giant Trouble (Hamster Princess #4)
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • The Trail
  • Cilla Lee-Jenkins: This Book Is a Classic
  • Dear Sister
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • Waking the Monsters (Hilo, #4)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • The House That Lou Built
  • Mae and June and the Wonder Wheel
  • The Dragonsitter (Dragonsitter, #1)
  • The Principal's Underwear Is Missing
  • The Trouble with Twins
  • Captain Superlative
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths

Frazzled (3 books)
  • Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom (Frazzled, #1)
  • Minor Incidents and Absolute Uncertainties (Frazzled, #3)