Start by marking “Before Girl (Vital Signs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Before Girl (Vital Signs, #1)

Before Girl

(Vital Signs #1)

She's the girl next door. He's the guy who's loved her from afar.
They're in for an unexpected tumble into love.

She'll juggle your balls.
For Stella Allesandro, chaos is good. She's a rising star at a leading sports publicity firm. She's known throughout the industry as the jock whisperer—the one who can tame the baddest of the bad boys in professional sports without losing
Published November 13th 2018 (first published November 12th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Before Girl, please sign up.

Start your review of Before Girl (Vital Signs, #1)
Alex ♈
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safe

Well said, Leonor!

I loved the idea of the heroine, who enjoyed sex and wasn't ashamed of it.
Not enough such women in romance!

"I can blame my work. I can blame my past relationships. I can blame my upbringing. But the truth of the matter is that I don't want to assign any blame. I don't have to. I'm allowed to enjoy sex. I don't have to be broken or fucked up."

Till the main conflict and hero's childish behavior, I floved the book.
He was a great guy till the point he threw his tant
Bibi
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laugh-out-loud

Our hero, Pascal, is a 42 yr old surgeon who falls in love at first sight with, Stella, our 35 yo heroine and what we get is a mature extremely funny story that'll warm your heart.
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
Starr (AKA Starrfish) Rivers
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Starr (AKA Starrfish) by: Princess under cover
I really liked this book. I like it most of all for Cal. Where, oh, where, are you Cal???

I'd give this 4.5 stars rounded to 5 for the pure unrealism of Cal. I know he's a fictional Hero - this is why I read romance right?? But he's also too real for me to believe it, since I've known a couple of hot doctors and let me tell you - if you're a doctor, you're male, and you're hot, you DON'T behave like Cal. Just too good to be true.

I rounded up bc my real life experiences shouldn't get in the way
London
My fucking feminist romance dream.

I fucking loved this book. To all the other romance authors out there that keep writing about heroes that bang other women, heroines that stay celibate for years or only have good sex with the hero...THIS ONES FOR YOU. This is how you fucking write a romance meant for women. I’m so damn sick of reading about pathetic weak heroines that are either virgins that get with man whores or stay celibate during a separation while the hero is banging the world. I also hat
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
DNF @32%
I truly cannot reconcile a hero not only shy enough to blush at the tiniest smile from the heroine but who couldn't even talk to her months after months crossing her path on his morning runs, with one one bold enough to issue smarmy, creepy innuendos and grotesque sex invitations the minute they finally meet and talk. So out of character and gross.
I liked the blurb, the premise sounded actually cute despite the whole running trail stalking, I just couldn't make sense of the hero utterly
Emma
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the male MC since Riley's book, he had a crush on our heroine for months and was too awkward to approach her, his obsession was so endearing. he was an amazing character when he wasn't behaving like a horny teenager. His outburst was understandable if it happened a bit sooner and not after her love confession. The female MC was that successful, independent and charming woman, and let me tell you, she deserves to be obsessed about. I would've enjoyed the story more if it was more fast pac ...more
Dilek VT
The first half of the book:

1. I didn’t like the heroine
2. I didn’t like the hero
3. I didn’t feel it at all
4. The parts about colleagues, work and friends were too boring

The second half of the book

1. I stopped disliking the heroine
2. I stopped disliking the hero
3. I started to believe in their feelings but I still didn’t care much about them
4. The parts about colleagues, work and friends were still too boring so I had to skip most of them

*********************************************

The Plot:
Ivy Deluca
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bbw, _arc-reads, doctors
description

There’s ALOT that I enjoyed about Before Girl, and the Firsts for Cal and Stella are fantastic. I don’t mind a bit of insta in my romances, as long it’s part of the journey, not the entire trip. Before Girl may start with some insta-love but we get to see Cal’s longing for Stella, and Stella’s fascination with Cal, watch that spark of hotfire love grow and deepen while wrangling with each other’s issues, so I was happy with that...for the most part.

Also, I really appreciated a heroine who has h
AJ
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lol, romantic, arc, steamy
4 smitten alpha stars

I loved this book! A fun, sexy and flirty read with two fantastic characters and a chemistry-filled romance that is full of fast-paced quips and banter, and is seriously funny. If you love a smitten alpha hero, you will love Cal ”the man-brick” Hartshorn.

Fan’s of Kate’s will know heart surgeon Cal. As a colleague and close friend of both Nick (from The Spire) and Alex (from Preservation). At 42 years old he has risen to the top of his field, and he is dedicated and confident
Antonella
* strong heroine
*steamy moments

con;
* nothing really happens in this book
* contradiction in hero's character
* nothing really happens in this book
yes, I know I said it twice but really it needs to be mentioned twice, there is not much of a plot
which can be a plus if you are looking for low angst but a steamy novel so there is that

Bookgasms Book Blog
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
I have been a huge fan of Kate Cantebary for years and have been a huge fan of #manbrick even before it was an official story, but an amazing weekly episodic type serial the author had us addicted to. Of course this story is slightly different and expanded upon, but one thing remains the same: I was eating out of her hands then and am just as addicted now. Cal and Stella are absolutely everything!! I loved how real and relatable both these characters were and could not stop reading!

When months o
Princess under cover
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded to 5. Cal is the absolute best! (And does not exist in real life, therefore, he must be what fantasy Heroes are made of!)

I really liked this book. I like the premise - shy, awkward, very hot, very confident, very successful guy who falls in love at first sight essentially with the woman.

Both H/h are mature characters, he's 42, she's 35. I LOVE mature (real) relationships! I love that despite how successful and hot Cal is, he can count the women he's been with on his fingers. G
Anne OK
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
There are SO MANY good reviews -- I'll take the hit and say it must just be me. But this one didn't hit on any cylinders for me. And I was really expecting it to be an above average read for me because the main characters were 42 and 35 instead of the young college age types. He's a heart surgeon; she's a sports-agent. She has no desire to find a "forever" type of love after having experienced a couple of bad breakups (as in engagements) in her early twenties. He's been "stalking" her for 8 mont ...more
Syndi
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is not typical romance book. It does not have that over the top alpha male or damsel in distress characters. Does not have that angst. drama, cheesy swooning etc. This book is more about what happen when 2 people feels attraction and what to do then? Are they compatible? Should they just consume their lust and move on? And what happen when the feeling becomes more deep? Should they commit? Should they label girlfriend boyfriend?

How to build trust between them? How do you know that the
Steph
Nov 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm gonna be honest here. I got this one on kindle unlimited, read 12% of the book and was not impressed. Can I first of all say that this almost never happens to me. Sometimes I might start reading a book and not be all that into it but I'll still finish it Because I hate leaving books unfinished but this one... I could NOT bring myself to continue reading. Cal is so weird, honestly I don't mind that he fell in love at first sight with stella. My problem was that when he finally met her he firs ...more
✴ Cindy ✴
💥💥💥💥
Plot: Cal first sees Stella on his morning run. He becomes fixated on her in a shy awkward kind of way. They literally collide one morning, thus beginning their road to love.

Hero: Cal is ex Army Ranger/medic and current Cardio thoracic surgeon. I loved his internal conversations. They were sweet. Every girl needs a Cal. He knew he wanted Stella and stopped at nothing to make her his.

Heroine: She was an independent woman and I LOVED that. She had self worth and wasn’t afraid to say what she
Fiona Fog
Stalker

An awesome read, Cal is just WOW!

He’s a sexy and strong character who’s shyness at the beginning of the story has pushed him up there a potential book boyfriend. He’s mature and he knows what he wants. Even if it took eight months to get there. Watching the woman walk around the pond he’s come to think of her as his. Now he just needs to work up the courage to speak to her.

Stella knows about heartbreak, she’s not looking to get a involved. She’s content with the arrangements she has in
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
note to self........

This wasn't me. Not at all. Not how I rolled. I didn't get lovestruck or smitten. I didn't fall for guys.
I had a healthy handful of men in my life and each of them understood the name of the game. They'd have to after the lengths to which I went to establish expectations up front. Stephen, Leif, Harry. I didn't have the time or interest in cultivating a relationship with any of them but I did have a color-coded Google calendar reminding me of my meetups. I wasn't dating them.
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
I love, love LOVE Before Girl! Possibly my new favorite story by this author, but that’s hard to say because I think I feel that way after each new KC book I read!

Cal has wanted Stella from afar, he even asked her to marry him on their first meeting.

“Yes, I'll marry you tonight.
Yes, you can name our babies whatever you want. But not Melvin, please. ...
No, I don't think any of this is moving too quickly.”

Kate Canterbary pens the absolute best “rumbly-grumbly”, rough, gruff, dirty talking heroe
Jan
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor, contemporary
3.5 to 4 stars. I didn't realise this was a spinoff from the Walsh series, as I hadn't read any of them LOL. My first book by this author actually. But I liked it and it worked fine as a standalone. There's lots of chemistry between the MCs. There's shy growly grumpy Cal, ex-Army Ranger who's now a surgeon, and the lovely Stella, who works with pro athletes. In many ways she is so confident and independent, but secretly is quite insecure after being burned in past relationships.

Once they meet a
Jessica Alcazar
I have a lot of feelings
Lots and lots of fucking feelings
Stellllllllla
Jane super booklover📚
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Loves this one. Cal is amazing! And Stella as well.
Ri
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best of 2018

Sweet holy titfire. This author is always one click for me. Always. I swear she could rewrite my state DMV manual and I would read it as if it was the newest literary masterpiece. She is like my drug dealer only it is words instead of drugs that keep me hooked.

I had mixed feelings about this book when it first was announced that it would be coming out. Not because I didn’t want to know the story of Cal (trust me I did). I felt this way because it was bittersweet to think
Alissa
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - I couldn’t wait to find out more about Cal after finishing up the Walsh series, and I loved this beaver-saving, vagina-wrecking, blow pop-loving man-brick! (You can read this as a total standalone, but life without meeting the Walshes is a tragedy). I absolutely loved that Cal was 42 (thank you Kate for not writing about kids!) and Stella was a fierce, independent 36 year old. I’m not usually a fan of insta-love but they just worked together and had me laughing out loud so many times ...more
Jacqueline
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was all about the characters, very little actually happened. It was just what I was in the mood to read and I loved it. Superb tension, smut, wit and banter too.

Complete story, available on ku. Recommended.
Dawn Strickland
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth Everything!

Before Girl is a magnificent love story. Stella and Cal take us on a sizzling journey about embracing love and not letting fear paralyze you. When you find a partner that cherishes your quirks and flaws and passion, you find home. They are that safe place where who you are is more than enough.

Stella Allesandro is strong, sassy, smart, and sensual. She is comfortable in her routine and in her control. She isn't looking for "the one", however "the one" runs straight into her like
Deb Markanton
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate Canterbary at her best! I’ve not only been intrigued by Cal forever, I’ve been half in love with the rumbly-grumbly heart surgeon as well. We’ve seen glimpses of him and his fascination with the luscious woman he passes daily, during his morning jog through the park, in various Walsh books. Nothing like anticipation to get your imagination going with expectations of a happily-ever-after. Yes, I’m referring to my anticipation for Cal and Stella’s book. And yes, I’m also referring to Cal’s an ...more
Happily Mary After
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You do not want to miss Kate Canterbary’s latest romance, Before Girl. It’s everything I love and expect from one of her books - an interesting plot, smart humor, smoking hot chemistry, memorable characters and a swoon-worthy love story. I can’t even describe how much I love Cal. He’s a quiet, sexy alpha-hero but also sweet and a little awkward when he first talks with Stella. He is absolutely adorable, and they are a brilliant and believable match. Before Girl delivers all of the feels!
Michelle Rodriguez
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Guest Review with the ladies of After Dark Book Lovers

Rating:
Ivy 4 growly grumbly stars
Rachel: 4 murdered vaginas
Michelle: 4 handprint to the ass stars

Ivy: *sings* The Shorties are back in town…..

Rachel: Only someone as amazing as Kate Canterbary could bring all of us back together again *wipes away happy tears*

Michelle: Oh hey ladies, thanks again for letting me tag along, Kate Canterbary’s books are our thing so I get emotional when you ladies let me come along for the ride.

Ivy: First thi

• Next In Line (Wait with Me, #2)
  • Not the Marrying Kind
  • Take a Number (Wait With Me, #4)
  • Make Me Yours (Bellamy Creek, #2)
  • Only Love (One and Only, #3)
  • Prince of my Panties (Royal Package #2)
  • Hitched (Happy Cat, #3)
  • Down Under (Aussies, #2)
  • Crazy (The Gibson Boys, #4)
  • Drive Me Wild (Bellamy Creek, #1)
  • Nothing Personal
  • Hotshot Doc
  • Bourbon Bliss (Bootleg Springs, #4)
  • Rock Bottom Girl
  • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
  • Hate the Game (Love Games #1)
  • Just My Type (Hometown Love #2)
  • All of Me (Confessions of the Heart, #2)
Kate Canterbary doesn't have it all figured out, but this is what she knows for sure: spicy-ass salsa and tequila solve most problems, living on the ocean--Pacific or Atlantic--is the closest place to perfection, and writing smart, smutty stories is a better than any amount of chocolate. She started out reporting for an indie arts and entertainment newspaper back when people still read newspapers, ...more

Vital Signs (2 books)
  • The Worst Guy (Vital Signs, #2)

Related Articles

“Okay, let's start over." I reached across the table, my hand outstretched. "I'm Stella Allesandro and I zone all the way out on my morning walks. I blame *NSYNC."
Cal laughed, but he didn't release my hand. "I'm Cal Hartshorn and I approach women by mowing them down to see if they like being underneath me."
A shocked laugh burst from my lips and I felt heat rising to my cheeks but I couldn't focus on the obvious innuendo he offered when there was more curious business at hand.
"Hold it right there," I said, leaning closer to peer at him.
"You can hold it anywhere you want it," he murmured.
"I'm sure." I held up a finger as my shoulders shook with silent laughter. "You keep them coming, Cal Hartshorn."
"I keep them coming like you wouldn't believe, Stella Allesandro," he replied. "Like you would not believe."
Laughing, I said, "Stop being obscene for a minute."
He had the balls to pull an appalled face. As if I was the one with all the bawdy comments here. "Obscene? I'm not obscene at all."
"You hide behind all your shy-boy awkwards but you're filthy.”
0 likes
“I'm not really a flowers-and-proper-dates girl," I said, fully aware of his thigh muscles
tightening under my hand. "I'm more of a burgers-and-football girl, to be honest. Baseball or hockey since we're in the off-season. Basketball too. Burgers, sports, nothing proper. I'm not proper."
Cal rested his forehead on my shoulder with a quiet groan. That sound, it was more intimate than a kiss. It belonged to private spaces where no one else could listen in. But we'd already forgotten about the rest of the world. We were alone here, me and Cal, and I wasn't smitten. I wasn't lovestruck. "Marry me, Stella. Marry me and bear my children."
His hand skated up my arm and over my shoulder to cup my face, and just like that, I was kissing a man I'd met an hour ago.”
0 likes