Start by marking “Ben Hogan: An American Life” as Want to Read:
Ben Hogan: An American Life

Ben Hogan: An American Life

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Authorized, intimate, and definitive, Ben Hogan: A Life is the long-awaited biography of one of golf’s greatest, most enigmatic legends, narrated with the unique eloquence that has made author James Dodson a critically acclaimed national bestseller.

One man is often credited with shaping the landscape of modern golf. Ben Hogan was a short, trim, impeccably dressed Texan wh
Published May 3rd 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ben Hogan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben Hogan

Robert Strandquist
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dodson's comprehensive and well researched narrative of golf's most compelling star keenly glosses over the rougher edges of Hogan's life without ignoring them. Most telling in this regard is Dodson's insistence that Hogan's socially cold shoulder is a psychological defense barrier protecting a dark secret. Dodson skillfully weaves Ben's dark secret, the death of his father, into the dark thread of personal tragedy throughout the entire work. Dodson creates a cocoon of sympathy around Ben as he ...more
Keenan Johnston
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Ben Hogan was a very complex man. He was an introvert, whose private nature hid complex and painful depths. Hogan was reserved, seeming cold and impersonal to those who didn’t know him. He did not entertain the media, providing very direct, often one word answers to questions. Adding to his mystique was his golden brown skin and impeccable wardrobe. Nobody else dressed or looked like him, creating the allure of a godlike figure who hit perfect shots, was always in control, and thrived in the mos ...more
J.C.
Dec 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cinderella boys
fantastic. I didn't know much about the man except that he came was a great player who was victim of a car accident but returned to continue his remarkable career, this was the story that I heard, it didn't seem like much.

Early in his career many thought he would never win a tournament. having two separate tries at making it as a tour player, he failed miserably and limped home broke. on what was his "final" attempt, he finally learned to win and that led to a few more tournament wins. He had f
Mahlon
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Golf fans, fans of great Biography
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
James Dobson's An American Life is the definitive Biography of Ben Hogan, who won 9 Majors in his career and dominated the sport in his era. Hogan was one of the most beloved sports figures of his day, but was notoriously shy off the course, preferring the company of a few close friends to the prying eyes of an adoring public, because of this he was unfairly saddled with the nickname "The Wee Ice Man" Dobson has managed to penetrate the curtain of silence that has always surrounded Hogan, talkin ...more
Randy
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This biography is a fascinating story of a man who had to overcome so many obstacles to achieve greatness, and is an inspiring reminder that greatness usually doesn’t come easily.

Mr. Dodson comes as close as possible to accurately portraying a very complex man, a man who will always be an enigma to many. My only criticism of this book is its length. I wonder if so many details are necessary. I guess to some readers they are. To me, however, it slowed the book down.

If I could I've give this book
Meg
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating, well-written, and thoroughly researched book about an amazing man. I am a golf fan, but this book is so expansive from a historical and human standpoint that golf knowledge is not required. Two of many examples that stand out to me: Jack Fleck's epiphany from a bathroom mirror and the melancholy (my emotion) yet uplifting (go figure) last days of Hogan's life. I can't wait to read this again, and that's my barometer to measure what makes a book great.
Brian Wetters
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very detailed accounting of Ben Hogan's life. I've gained an appreciation for his influence upon the sport of golf that is still with us today. I learned something that otherwise hasn't been widely reported. Ben Hogan is truly one of golf's pioneers of shot-making.
Kirk
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one that loves golf
Recommended to Kirk by: Mike gave it to me for Xmas
Great book, even for those of you that don't appreciate the game (and if you don't, what good are you?) Anyway, good read. Hogan was, in many ways, a combination of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.
Drew Widney
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular read. Was a bit apprehensive because of its density, but the pages flew by. An absolute pleasure. Despite the fantastic material, the flow of writing is truly what makes this a breeze and so much fun.
Willie Tulloch
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Adam Gamble
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book on the HAG
Shannon
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
If you have a passion for golf, this is the book for you. I just haven't acquired a knack for the sport quite yet. Pretty inspiring read though.
Craig
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great portrait of the somewhat reclusive life of Mr. Hogan.
Mark
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
dude should have died in car wreck instead he became a legend
Mark
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best biography of any type/genre that I have read. It reads easily and you cannot put it down. It may sound cliched, but it is true.
Brian123
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, if your a fan of golf history or sports in my opinion it has to include obtaining knowledge and understanding of the importance of Ben Hogan. This is the book!!
Amani
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a true life story about resilience, perseverance and just practicing your craft. So many ups and downs Ben Hogan went through. He was an amazing golfer in his day. Wow.
jope
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you love golf you will love this story. An amazing life centered on excellent golf.
Ben Matteson
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm in the middle of re-reading this a second time. I really like this book and not because of golf, but because of the careful research and description of Ben Hogan the human being.
Greg
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent biography on Ben Hogan. Spends a lot of time on his golf life but also adds his personal side.
Patrick Schultheis
  • Caddy for Life : The Bruce Edwards Story
  • The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
  • Cinderella Story: My Life in Golf
  • The Best American Sports Writing of the Century
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Arnie and Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • Beyond Glory: Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling, and a World on the Brink
  • Three Months in the Southern States: April-June 1863
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • Slackjaw
  • The Devil and Sonny Liston
  • Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
  • Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate's Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
James Dodson is the author of seven books, including Final Rounds and Ben Hogan: An American Life. He lives with his family in Southern Pines, North Carolina."
More about James Dodson...

“PERFECTION, OF COURSE, is a cruel god. It requires the kind of absolute devotion and daily sacrifice that is the sworn enemy of personal emotion and intimacy with others, even—and maybe especially—one’s loyal ladywife.” 0 likes