Start by marking “How to Find Love in a Bookshop” as Want to Read:
How to Find Love in a Bookshop

How to Find Love in a Bookshop

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  8,537 Ratings  ·  1,639 Reviews

Nightingale Books, nestled on the high street in Peasebrook, a picture-postcard Cotswold town, is a dream comes true for booklovers. Everyone who enters falls in love with something.

But owner Emilia Nightingale is struggling to keep the shop open and the developers are circling. The temptation to sell up is proving enormous - but what about the promise she made to her fat

Published August 15th 2017 by Pamela Dorman Books (first published May 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about How to Find Love in a Bookshop, please sign up.
Hilary Cupboard Maker Books, Enola PA: https://www.cupboardmaker.com/

Cupboard Maker Books, Enola PA: https://www.cupboardmaker.com/

We particularly love the cat runs (along the wall, above the shelves, across the ceiling) and the cats (most of the cats are available for adoption!). Well organized inventory; helpful staff. Many nooks for undisturbed browsing. Reasonable rates. If you have a favorite book, you can, for a price, include its title on the spine of a book in the mural that wraps around the building! https://www.cupboardmaker.com/(less)

Paromjit
This is a warm hearted gem of a book! Emilia Nightingale owns Nightingale Books in Peasebrook, a Cotswold town. However, she finds herself in desperate straits trying to keep the book shop open and the property developers are already circling. It would be easier if Emilia sold up, but there is the promise that she made to her dad, Julius. The book shop has a star line up of customers, a colourful and vibrant mix of people. They have their own stories to tell of love, hope, loss and secrets. In t ...more
Julie
How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry is a 2018 Penguin Books publication.

It goes without saying that any book about books will appeal to me. A bookshop with a regular clientele, each with their own story, a few well- guarded secrets, and a healthy dose of sweet romance and you have an irresistible combination.

When Emilia inherits her father’s bookshop, she decides to brush off any attempts to persuade her to accept a buyout. But, unbeknownst to her, there is a plot afoot to make su
Dash fan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5☆ Beautifully written

Before Emillia's father passes away, he makes Emillia promise to keep the Nightingale book store open.

Julius opened the book store to help support Emillia and himself. As he was a single parent.
The story of Julius and the Nightingale book store was beautiful and compelling.
So you can understand why he so desperately want Emillia to keep the book store open.

Nightingale book shop reminds me of those gorgeous quaint book shops you find, where the owner knows every single book
Svetlana
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
4/4.5 stars

"Books told you things, everything you needed to know, but you didn't talk back to them."

When I started reading this book, I felt a little disappointed because I couldn't connect to the story or the characters. But as I read on, it turned out to be much more than I expected. I devoured the story and I loved it! I was feeling quite low and was going into a teeny tiny reading slump - every reader's nightmare of course, but this was just so uplifting! It made me smile and gave me some go
Eve
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, read-2017
fullsizeoutput_64b
"The whole point of life was you couldn't ever be sure what would happen next. Sometimes what happened was good, sometimes not, but there were always surprises."

This was a delightful, confectionary read! Such an immense joy to read. I don't generally pick up romancey novels, but I love a good romantic angle in my literary and classic fiction. This had all the feels, and I do mean all, because it centered around a bookshop at the center of a small village in the Cotswolds. Literary references an
Dale Harcombe
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.
Who could resist a book with a title like this? Certainly not me. I fell in love with this book from the first page of the prologue set in 1983. And when Emilia is sitting at her father’s bedside while he is dying 32 years later, I was right there with tears in my eyes too. The description of a daughter’s grief upon the death of a much loved parent was one I could all too readily associate with. Julius Nightingale had owned and run Nightingale Books in the Cotswold town of
Louise Wilson
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the idyllic town of Peasebrook in the Cotswolds is thee Nightingayle Book Shop. Owner Emillia Nightingayle is struggling to keep the shop open. Her father Julius bought the shop and the flat above when Emillia was just a baby.

With her father on his deathbed, Emillia comes home from abroad then took the shop over when he died. The temptation to sell the shop is overwhelming but she had made a promise to keep the shop open.

This is a lighthearted tale of the love the customers have for the shop.
Odette Knappers
This is the perfect book for all the booklovers in the world.

In this book, a small bookshop place the main role. Every character in this book has some connection with the little shop, that sounds like heaven on earth.

This book puts into words why I love my new job in a bookstore SO MUCH. This is one of my favorite books now.

This book is full of booklove and it just fills my heart with warmth and love.

Just read this, if you love books. Trust me.
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
One of the things that drew me to this story was the title. For book lovers and those who are addicted to reading, the best place in the world is a bookstore. Especially one that is unique, and offers hours of escape. So it would only be fitting that one could and would find love in a bookstore.

This story is a delightful read. It is a story about a secret love but also family love and finding love when you least expect it. Most of the story is set in a small town and the characters revolve aroun
Love Fool
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has a story . . . but will they get the happy ending they deserve?

Nightingale Books loses it's beloved owner and gains his daughter. The books store is in debt and needs an uplift. A sleazy wealthy contractor wants to buy the store to make it a parking lot for his apartment building that he is building. Emilia has a decision to make, keep the store and honor her father or sell and not burden herself.

Several clients of Nightingale Books have their own problems to deal with, and the book
TS Chan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This was such a lovely read that I have picked up purely because its title and cover design depicting one of those enchanting English bookshops attracted me. The allure of a story about a bookshop (and by natural extension, books) was just too irresistible, and as such, despite my typical apprehension with romantic novels, I knew that I would attempt reading this book.

And with that, I dipped my toes into the Prologue and came across this beautiful passage which charmed me immediately.

Now that
Chinouk Thijssen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 ster
Elaine
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely delightful read this was! Emilia Nightingale has returned to Peasebrook to take over the helm of Nightingale Books following the death of her father in this story stuffed with romance, friendships and books, books, books. The shop itself is everyone’s idea of the perfect bookshop; old fashioned with shelves crammed with every book imaginable where people go because they are assured of a warm welcome and a listening ear. There are some very sad and moving times ahead as we foll ...more
Wendi Lee
*Thank you to First to Read for an ARC*

I have to be absolutely honest. I don't read cozy fiction very often, so "How to Find Love in a Book Shop" is a bit of an outlier for me. But I found it quite charming and easy to read.

When her father passes away, Emilia finds herself the new owner of Nightingale Books, the only bookstore in small town Peasebrook. The bookstore is more than just a commodity, it's a place full of secrets, dreams, and love. The patrons are wistful and pleasant, and their sto
Mafi
Não foi uma desilusão mas esperava bem mais. Fez-me lembrar muito o livro ''A livraria dos finais felizes''. Gostei de praticamente todas as personagens mas achei que a autora demorou muito tempo para desenvolver as várias tramas para depois atar todas as pontas soltas nas últimas 50 páginas. Foi uma boa leitura sem dúvida, mas não me conquistou de todo.

---

Não foi um livro mau mas já não sei se sou eu que estou a ficar sem paciência para estes romances ou se vou sempre com expectativas altas par
Marieke
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een heerlijk boek! Zo veel verschillende personen en toch zijn hun verhalen allemaal verweven met elkaar. Erg knap gedaan!

Aan het begin was het een beetje moeilijk om in het verhaal te komen. Je hebt het verhaal van Julius, maar ook van zn dochter Emilia. Daarnaast ook nog het verhaal van June, Jackson, Marlowe, Sarah, Thomasina, Alice en Dillon. Zoals je ziet zijn er genoeg personages en ik wist niet meer precies wie nou wie was.

Maar na de eerste helft werd het beter. Ik herkende de namen
Yoda
How to Find Love in a Bookshop isnt the most shocking book Ive ever read, it doesnt have any plot twist, not one I can remember at least. But its such a lovely, lovely book I could not put it down. Even though you know how its going to end from the start its really nice.
You get to know a lot of characters, they all have different life stories, and different problems. The only thing that connects them is a lovely bookshop in a small town they all live in.
I know I say "lovely" a lot right now,
Ana
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anestesiada com a morte do pai, Emilia não sabe o que fazer com a livraria que recebe de herança, a Nightingale Books. A livraria fica numa pequena localidade e é o ponto de encontro dos seus habitantes, pessoas que por vários motivos frequentam aquele local há várias anos. Inicialmente Emilia pondera vender a livraria, mas com o passar dos dias começa a verificar que os livros vendidos mudam as vidas de quem os compra e quiça talvez a sua .....
Um livro maravilhoso, ideal para quem gosta de livr
Andrea
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I can’t think of any reader that doesn’t want to read about a bookshop. This was fluffy and fun.
Jess
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just need a feel good book where you are guaranteed that everyone will get a happy ending and the jerks get their comeuppance. You will find it in this book! A cast of unique characters round out a light but poignant tale of a young woman that inherits her father's bookshop located in the peaceful town of Peasebrook, in the middle of the Cotswolds.

Emilia Nightingale returns home to run her father's bookshop. The "someday" knowledge that she would do so became "today" knowledge and
Richard Derus
Very good chick lit. The bookstore setting is delightful. The characters are all Central Casting stereotypes and that's just fine because not having to work out what each one of the six PoV characters was which was part of what made this a Sunday read.

It's possible to score the movie that this book will engender just from the mentions of music in the text. Joni Mitchell all the way to dreary, stolid Elgar by way of the inimitable, ineffable Saint-Saëns "The Swan" on cello.

A happy means to wile t
Bibliomanija
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kada sam bila mala ( 'ajmo biti iskreni pa reći čak i sada) jedina želja mi je bila imati vlastitu knjižaru. Bila bi to mala knjižara u sklopu nekog caffea u kojem bi svaki posjetitelj mogao sjesti, pojesti neki kolač, popiti kavu i na kraju okrijepiti dušu s nekom dobrom knjigom.

U mojim maštanjima, knjižara bi bila okupljalište pravih ljubitelja knjiga, koji bi svakodnevno dolazili i razmjenjivali utiske o knjigama koje su pročitali ili jednostavno dolazili tražiti savjet koju knjigu sljedeće d
Joanne Freitas
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito fácil gostar das personagens deste livro e das suas histórias. Um romance muito bem construído em volta de uma livraria.
Monica Haak
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 sterren. Dit boek is echt een mooie mix tussen een dochter die haar overleden vader trots wil maken, klanten die allemaal een eigen verhaal hebben met de boekwinkel en de centraal staande liefde voor boeken.
Tracey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love books about books! This was just the sweetest and makes me wish I had my own bookshop.
Chris Mara
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a lovely little, heartwarming book!

The writing, the characters, the story; they were all very well done. I felt all warm inside and so good and cozy as I finished the last page, thus the five star rating.

The wonderful little idyllic town of Peasebrook sounds truly magical and somewhere that in my wildest dreams, I’d like to live. The Nightingale Bookshop is a quaint place I would just love to visit and shop at and maybe even work at!

The people here all know each other and come togeth
Ieva
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esmu atklājusi grāmatu plauktu humpalās - vienkārši nevarēju turēties pretī šādam nosaukumam: protams, ka es gribu uzzināt kā grāmatnīcā atrast mīlestību! Saturs arī nepievīla - tāds šarmants romantiskās literatūras gabals, kurā caur rozā brillēm skatās ne tikai uz cilvēku attiecībām, bet uz grāmatu veikaliem arī. Grāmatā savus mīlas stāstus izdzīvo ne tikai galvenā varone, kura manto grāmatu veikalu (ja ņem vērā, ka sākumā mirst tēvs, kurš viņu uzaudzinājis viens pat varētu gaidīt daudz drūmāku ...more
Julie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard review to write because it took me several days to figure out why I didn't dislike it but struggled to give it more than 2 stars (I rounded up for my book club because I think they tire of me being the outlier, you're welcome!)

Spoiler alert, although with such a quaint cover I don't think this is much of a spoiler, this book has multiple happy endings. Yet, the melancholy is overpowering. If the author's intent is to illustrate how life is the balance of love and death and the rel
Lisa
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bookstores
2.5 I'll read anything about a bookstore and with modest expectations this wasn't bad - a cozy, simplistic and predictable novel in the bookstore chick-lit genre.
  • The Butterfly Summer
  • The Cosy Teashop in the Castle
  • Return to Bluebell Hill
  • Kitty's Countryside Dream
  • Summer at Tiffany's
  • Make A Christmas Wish: A heartwarming, witty and magical festive treat!
  • The Reunion
  • Summer at Rose Island (White Cliff Bay #3)
  • Match Me If you Can
Veronica Henry was a television script writer before turning her hand to fiction. She has published sixteen novels which she describes as realistic escapism - her setting are gorgeous, but her characters have problems and dilemmas everyone can identify with.
“There's a book for everyone, even if they don't think there is. A book that reaches in and grabs your soul.” 19 likes
“So that was why people read. Because books explained things: how you thought, and how you behaved, and made you realise you were not alone in doing what you did or feeling what you felt.” 15 likes