Start by marking “How to Fight” as Want to Read:
How to Fight

How to Fight

(Mindfulness Essentials)

Learn how to relax the bonds of anger, attachment, and delusion through mindfulness and kindness toward ourselves and others.
The Mindfulness Essentials series introduces beginners and reminds seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. This time Nhat Hanh brings his signature clarity, compassion, and humor to the ways we act out in anger, frustration
Published September 19th 2017 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Fight

Start your review of How to Fight
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re new or not to Buddhist concepts, this little book is a great reminder on how to stay human when everyone around you does not. I picked this up at Powell’s at the Portland Airport and I’m glad I did! It’s a quick little book read that carries some pretty heavily important concepts on how you control you during a conflict. Excellent book!
Lorna
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these little books. They are deceptively easy to read and have the sweetest illustrations.
This book has practical and easy to implement help with reconciliation and peace in our daily lives.
Mary
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I need to re-read this twice a day.
Annie
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much like the others in this How To Series; small book much wisdom.
Mera Liccione
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-loans
I would re-title this book “How to fight with people you love.” In that context, Hanh gives excellent direction. However, these techniques are blind to power inequities and situations where people actively wish to manipulate you or do you harm. Employing these techniques against someone who is a bully or abusive, regardless of how much they are suffering, is a recipe to heap more pain on the targeted person. I can see this book doing real harm in those encounters. Hanh includes no acknowledgemen ...more
Ryan
Jan 01, 2018 added it
Quick, easy read, but with information that can change your perspective. This is a good one to read again and again.
RH Walters
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most useful book I’ve ever read.
صفية
Light and bright!
Mindfulness, compassion, understanding, and communication are central values to calm down, avoid "unskilful" situations and help solve conflicts. I appreciated the comparison of misunderstandings as internal knots that if you don't untie immediately after the trauma of an angry moment, can stay with you and will be difficult to get rid of.
Something so soothing about Hanh s books, either audio or written...
I miss this good bliss!
Nada AbuHassan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Simple and direct ♥️
Orgio Orgil
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is all about mindfulness and self-awareness. "How to Fight" by Thich Nhat Hanh talks about in order to understand others, first we must look deeper into ourselves and try to understand ourselves. Although I am aware of most of the ideas that were reflected in this book I think it was refreshing to be reminded of them once again. But hey what did I write in the first sentence of this very book review? Thus, I feel great reading this and so I am grateful to grab this book in the first place.

He
Scottsdale Public Library
How to Fight is the latest edition to Thich Nhat Hanh’s Mindfulness Essentials series. Once again Thich Nhat Hanh provides an accessible glimpse into the world of mindfulness, self-awareness and meditation. In How To Fight, Thich Nhat Hanh as short meditative thoughts that the reader can absorb at their own pace. How To Fight teaches how one can form a new relationship with and understanding of one’s anger is an attempt to limit or curb reactionary outbursts that stem from anger and frustration. ...more
Bryan Fox
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This simple tome could be read in 20 minutes, but if the principles and suggestions it offers were taken to heart and implemented in our lives, they could supplant the work of most conflict resolution theorists and a good deal of relationship counselors. A truly compassionate way to think about the suffering we feel and the suffering we cause, and how to minimize both for the benefit of ourselves and those around us.
Lauren
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Part of Thich Nhat Hahn’s Mindfulness Essentials series, this one seemed appropriate for the times. More about how to deal with loved ones than general frustrations stemming from an unjust society, these short meditations are worth a read. I read them off and on over several months, and it’s nice to get an occasional reminder to step back, take a deep breath, and find a positive way forward when dealing with anger. Recommended.
Jordan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Thich Nhat Hanh is probably one of the wisest living humans. Clear, refreshingly unembellished insight, like a cool breeze on a summer day. Remarkable lucidity is required to render profound wisdom in such simple and easy-to-understand words.
Wilde Sky
This book provides a guide to controlling negative emotions / anger.

I found this book a bit too woolly for me.
Alvin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A short book meant to be read over and over again. It is a great reminder to listen more, talk less, and take care of yourself. Easy enough, right?
Linh P. Truong
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Being angry in the historical dimension
I close my eyes and look deeply
Three hundred years from now
Where will you be and where shall I be”
Nevisa
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Nothing can survive without food, not even love.” - Buddha
Jill
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020reads
Baby steps through conflict, with compassion.
Thuy Uyen LE
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book explains where begin conflicts, fights or sufferings, etc; also how to deal with them and what to do to reconcile with the other person. The lesson we can learn is that we need to practice mindfulness, compassion, loving speech with ourselves/ the other person in order to avoid misperceptions, misunderstanding. In that way, we will be able to help others as we help ourselves.
At the end of the book, there are also some practices for peace and reconciliation.
From my side, I practiced the
Derek
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How to Fight is a wonderfully positive book full of helpful outlooks and healthy attitudes. I would recommend it to anyone interested in practical mindfulness.
Amy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He's amazing
Simple words with such power and meaning
Nathan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! Very short and full of down to earth wisdom. This is a good book to just own and open up to a random page when you're wondering how to proceed on a difficult issue. It inspired me to take a few healing actions with friends.
Tom Sadira
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you recognize the author's name, you probably realize the title is a bit cheeky and that this isn't a manual on kung fu or self defense.

Thich Nhat Hanh explains that the best way to fight is to not fight. He positions fighting(and violence & war) as the fruit of something else, and beckons us to look at the roots of that fruit. On this premise he uses short pagelong essays to take the reader down all of Buddhism's basic ideas: acknowledgement of suffering in ourselves and those we consider ou
Alice Wonders
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like people should just read this instead of The Alchemist. Thich Nhat Hanh is always great.
Kelly
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A friend gave me How to Walk which I enjoyed, so I picked this up from the library on impulse, then bought a copy to keep. I was surprised at how directly it spoke to me about managing feelings of anger and replacing them with compassion, for yourself and for others. It operates as a parenting book, family therapy, workplace conflict resolution, meditation guide, etc. Get a copy for your rage-filled friends.
Vijayasarathy M
No depth to the concepts. Disappointed!

It was a pleasant and short read but I was expecting some wow moments, some perspective I have never understood but offers none.
Candace
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for improving all interactions in one’s life. Tangible tools that can immediately be put to use that result in far more agreeable and peaceful outcomes for all involved.
Joey Lee
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly if you read one of em you read em all. They all follow similar formatting and moral themes as any of the other "How to..." series by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Ali Berk

• After Ikkyu & Other Poems
  • Guidebooks for the Dead
  • On Boxing
  • Măștile fricii
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • How Poetry Can Change Your Heart
  • Gun Dealers' Daughter
  • Pavane for a Dead Princess
  • No One Writes Back
  • The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross

Mindfulness Essentials (7 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)
  • How to See

News & Interviews

“Stillness is the foundation of understanding and insight.” 6 likes
“When we observe or listen to other people, we often don’t see them clearly or really hear what they’re saying. We see and hear our projections and prejudices instead.” 5 likes