Start by marking “Activating Happiness: A Jump-Start Guide to Overcoming Low Motivation, Depression, or Just Feeling Stuck” as Want to Read:

It’s not just big choices that can radically change our lives—sometimes it’s the small ones. Activating Happiness offers powerful, evidence-based strategies to help you conquer low motivation, nix negative moods, and defeat depression by actively making positive choices in small, everyday moments.

If you have depression or just suffer from low mood and lack of motivation, y
Published December 1st 2017 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Activating Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Activating Happiness

Start your review of Activating Happiness: A Jump-Start Guide to Overcoming Low Motivation, Depression, or Just Feeling Stuck
Carrie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book courtesy of Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A good book. Nothing unique or particularly ground breaking, but good, basic, actionable advice.
Silvia Puiu
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is useful for those who struggle with depression or delay their goals in life. It is well structured and I understand the author is specialized in this type of problems, ensuring a scientific background for the book.
Sara Underwood
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did win a copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

I really liked this book. I'm definitely a pragmatic (I want to fix and solve things) and I've also always struggled with feelings of depression, although I've never felt that they were "bad enough" to seek out professional help. A lot of the self-help style books out there basically read like its the same old advice packaged in a different box - and some of them get really complicated. This book does a great job in both keeping it simple as
As you read this book, imagine the author in front of the room speaking to a small group or comfortably seated across from you having a nonthreatening conversation.
Her approach to helping the client see a brighter future, take action for a more effective present, is based on five principles. The book is written in a sequential path, each principle building upon the previous step. I found the first three principles most interesting and useful.
The process is based on awareness and dealing with emo
Imperfectly Belle
I really wanted to enjoy this book, but for me it was a struggle to relate to the suggested routines for happiness. I’m a shift worker and cannot set a routine. This week I finish work at 11pm, next week I’ll be starting work at 11pm. Not everyone works the 9 to 5 business hours and it would have been great to be able to read the author’s suggestions on how a shift-worker can incorporate her ideas into their routine. Therefore she, unfortunately, lost me at Principle 2. Whilst not great for me, ...more
Curious Reader
Ultimately, this is a practical guide for improving your life, it’s written well enough so that it does not feel like a chore and it is effective. It would have been boring reading it essay like with long descriptions. But fortunately here the format is nice and easy to read.

I truly enjoyed this book, and would recommend it for others who are trying to find a little bit of happiness. Thumbs up 👍🏻.

This review is based on NetGalley ARC provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
Christine Lussier
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I read a digital copy of Activating Happiness from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The book has easy to read, well thought out chapters, which, in my opinion would be helpful to someone needing encouragement/suffering through the doldrums. The author speaks honestly & not in a "preachy" sort of way. It is obvious that she knows what she is talking about & isn't just repeating information she has heard. I would not say this is a "quick fix" to someone who is suffering from depression,a
Holly Davis
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved the practical exercises this book provides to improve mood, get on a schedule, find out what your TRAPS are, and overcome low motivation and depression to get work done. This book helped me become aware of and identify triggers and the progression of what happens when I give in or fight through them. I love the idea of monitoring your mood based on High or Low and Positive or Negative. I didn't use the available worksheets but they were nice to have in case I did want to use them. ...more
Pam Mooney
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that this book was strategy based with steps to take I, essentially, changing the way you think. It is just as advertised - a jump start guide - like a coach on the side. I found reading the introduction was key to getting the most out of each chapter. Very helpful book and one that you
will want to keep on the shelf to easily pick up and reinforce your goals. A good read.
Michael Brewer
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hershenberg's writing style is clear and easy to digest. She provides thoughtful and relatable examples that will help any reader apply the suggested principles to their own lives and their self-improvement desires. At times it felt that Dr. Hershenberg was personally describing my own habits and behaviors.
Dawn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

I am not a person who reads a lot of self help books but currently I am feeling a bit low due to being ill and this helped me identify little changes I can make to stop me feeling as low. I did read bits and feel like putting my hand up and say yes that’s me!
Doctor
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Low Mood as Depression and High as Mania.

High Positive, High Negative i.e. HP, HN
Similarly in Low i.e LP, LN

Values, Daily Routine, Keystone habits, Self Care, Busy Schedule,

Meditation, Yoga and spirituality take away all the negativity.
Michelle
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book a few times in last few weeks. There are days you just need a pick me up to know your not alone. Everyone has their spill on ways to help and each person is different. This book is well worth the read and to check out.
Noble
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
really insightful look into why we are feeling a way we are feeling and gives good ways to counter it. very specific.
Jarod
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lots of good information, just not the most engaging.

I received this for free as part of the goodreads first reads program
NerdyBookishBeauty
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t to deep and full of technical terms that made me want to put it down. I highly recommend this book. I received this device free from NetGalley for my honest review.
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Any self-help books on overcoming low mood and other symptoms of depression are always a winner by me, and so I'm always keen to read them. This one was great because it was based on a sound evidence-base for strategies such as ACT and CBT, which are great techniques for thought-challenging and 're-wiring'. However, that is all good as long as the book makes for an interesting read, and unfortunately this one I did not find as enjoyable, and reading it felt more like studying for a homework assi ...more
Amy Kreydin
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, wellness
Cognitive behavioral therapy has been a tool I enjoy using and recommend to clients when psychosomatic patterns turn dysfunctional. Ms Hershenberg's book outlines pathways to getting out of daily ruts that get in the way of happiness. Those of us who experience stress and anxiety from mounting to-do lists, workaholism, escapism, exhaustion, and poor planning skills will get the most out of this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced review copy.
Hector
Sep 10, 2019
Sassysimy
Jan 23, 2020
Nancy Canche
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2020
Maritza
Mar 05, 2020
Liz
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
My first thought based on the description was that it was a sort of self help book. The book proved to be semi-correct. It was an ok read. If you are looking for something to past the time.
Eunice
Jun 01, 2019
Toni
Sep 22, 2018
Erin
Sep 09, 2020
Ben Brewer
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the practical tips that Dr. Hershenberg provides throughout. I identified more as a lark, and found her advice specific to larks really hit home. This is a book that requires you to be active and do some work, which is why I liked it, and think that it will actually help those that read it and are committed to following through on these positive habits.
Johan Grobler
Nov 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Never
  • Dark Light (Elizabeth Cage, #2)
  • Zac and Mia
  • Biohack: ät rätt för just din kropp
  • Curious, If True: Strange Tales
  • Beautiful Mess
  • Raising White Kids: Bringing Up Children in a Racially Unjust America
  • Body Of Proof
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • Savage Her Reply
  • Hamlet's Hit Points
  • How to Hack a Heartbreak
  • A Billion Times No (Fake It Till You Make It #1)
  • Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Of Literature and Lattes
  • Eight Dates: Essential Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Hive (Hive #1)
Rachel Hershenberg, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in the research and treatment of depression. She is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Emory University where she conducts clinical research and is the Director of Psychotherapy in the Treatment Resistant Depression Program.

Read Dr. Hershenberg's column in Psychology Today