Start by marking “100 Photographs That Changed the World” as Want to Read:
100 Photographs That Changed the World

100 Photographs That Changed the World

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  454 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
From the Editors of Life Magazine.

The power of pictures is celebrated in this portfolio of the most forceful still images of all time. Robert Capa's dispatches from the beach at Normandy and Joe Rosenthal's photographic report of Iwo Jima stirred a nation, as did-in quite an opposite way-Eddie Adams' and Larry Burrows' searing imagery from Vietnam. LIFE thinks outside the
Published August 1st 2003 by Life (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Photographs That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Photographs That Changed the World

Lorraine
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Truly excellent photographs! I look through this book often. Some of the photographs truly touch my heart. Some are mind-blowing! Most I shall never forget. A must-have book for everyone!
Horrific! Beautiful! Why? Why not. Life Magazine always had unbelievable photography. I miss Life, their photography, and the people who were able to produce such dynamic photography. It felt as though Life was always there at THAT moment. These will make one laugh. These will make one cry.
No one shall ever forg
Maui Rochell
Not only did I scanned through the top 100 photos that changed the world but I also read the stories behind it. But one thing that I couldn't take upon reading this was seeing the photographs of suffering children who became innocent victims of this cruel world.

Overall, I was amazed and my love for photography became deeper and stronger.
Patty
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic and iconic stuff.
Realini
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
100 Photographs That Changed The World by Life Magazine
SHOCK & AWE

Awe, inspiration, hope, joy, pride, gratitude, serenity, interest, amusement and love- are the elements of positivity, as identified by Barbara Fredrickson.
And you will feel all of them looking and reading through this book.
Alas, you will not feel only those positive emotions
You will be horrified and shocked by the
- atomic bomb pictures
- gruesome images of the devastating effect of napalm use in Vietnam
- concentration camps-
Nura
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lenses
satu quote yg gw suka: "The power of a picture is in the mind of the beholder."

satu gambar bisa beribu interpretasi. tergantung pada siapa, apa, kapan, kenapa, dan bagaimana-nya. seperti potret eksekusi gerilyawan viet cong tahun 1968 yang kemudian terkenal menjadi imej anti-perang itu. di satu sisi, foto itu menampakkan kekejaman yang tak terperi, tapi di sisi lain, sang eksekutor, Nguyễn Ngọc Loan, melakukannya untuk melindungi negeri yang dicintainya. Eddie Adams--yang mengambil foto tersebut
Rhonda
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I found this book really interesting and the fact that it has the full photos but also has a blurb about each of them makes it more interesting.

Some of the images will be well known to all generations who pick up the book, and some I found myself learning about for the first time. One particular photo which stood out for me was one in Jackson, Mississippi where a crowd of white citizens are abusing and taunting a black girl who is sitting at the counter of a cafe. The pain in her face is amazin
Marisa
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This was not comfortable to see/read at all times, but I think it was a valuable one to get through. The photos portray inspiration, hope and gratitude, but also horror, shock and fear. The photos show both highs and low of the human experience. The gruesome images may be too much and certainly are not suitable for young children, but they’re certainly valuable to remember. I don’t think anyone will be disappointed in giving this a read; it’d make a great coffee-table-style book and prompt discu ...more
Diana Habashneh
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked how they slipped the " Israel's right by history, bible and the UN" and " Arabs sworn to drawn them" and showed no respect to the facts and history of the land, who cares the Palestinians won't read this, also loved how the comment about the Saddam statue was a propaganda for the mighty america, I guess that Iraq was the new Vietnam is something minor and I guess pictures of the Israeli massacres "deer yassin, Sabra and Shatila, for example" in Lebanon and Palestine won't change the worl ...more
Connie D
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection of photos is especially important historically, since they were selected based on whether they prompted change.

A very powerful comment on the force a picture can have when words are ignored.

I was familiar with many if not most of the photographs, but it was interesting to read about them from a slightly different perspective (the art historical perspective includes the historical perspective, but doesn't always emphasize it). The writing is brief but generally includes the most
Beatrice Lapa
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerd, art, history, non-fiction
Powerful. Some images, though simple, made me angry, like the one with the story of Rosalind Franklin. Woman dies for science and yet other people get the Nobel Prize instead. (Not that the men who continued her work were undeserving, but still...)

Due to the regular amount of gore we see on media these days, I have been desensitized from the war images. The descriptions, however, were chilling.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Obviously, whether or not these photographs truly changed the world can be debated. Whether or not you agree with the title, this is a collection of powerful photos. A lot of them are not easy to look at. But they're all important and help us to remember where we came from, very often places we should never go again. Many of these gave me goosebumps or left me teary-eyed. I highly recommend this collection.
L
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Power, moving and raw, this collection of photographs presents key historical events that has happened in the 20th century. It is primarily U.S focused but nevertheless covers a majority of the photos that have rocked the perception of the world. The emotions and history conveyed in photographs is unparalleled. A bit outdated now but still a recommended read.
Maralaa Milky
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Зураг доторх түүх болон он цагийн зүдрээ нийлээд зүрхийг минь хэд дахин нугалаад авах шиг. Хүн төрөлхтөн өнөөдрийн нарыг харах гэж ийм их хүний амийг авч одох хэрэгтэй бсн ч юм уу үгүй ч юм уу. Тойрох аргагүй дайрах л учиртай зам байждээ гэж нэг өөртөө шивэгнэлээ, гэвч өөрийнхөө нүдийг хуурч чадамгүй аймшигтай бодит зураглал!

not only photos, behind the stories are very touchy.
Douglas Koehne
Good not great book of interesting and important photographs that had an impact on people and society to some extent. There are famous pictures included as well as less known shots of important events. Nice to read or look through, but not presented in a way that will stick with you for any amount of time.
Emin Yigit Koyuncuoglu
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Tercih edilen veya edilmeyen fotoğraflar ile yayınlanan bazı tarihi fotoğrafların okuyucuya servis ediliş şekli tartışmaya açık. Yine de Life dergisi editörleri tarafından seçilen bu fotoğraflar yakın geçmişe doğru okuyucuyu hüzünlü bir yolculuğa çıkarıyor. Özellikle savaşın sebep olduğu ağır tahribatları yansıtan fotoğraflar oldukça sarsıcı.
Serge Pierro
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
Although the title is somewhat misleading, the book does contain some powerful photography from throughout the years of Life Magazine. It covers a wide range of subject matter and has interesting annotations throughout.
Niranj
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Powerful photographs, very powerful photographs. Many of them are disturbing. Despite that, I would recommend this book to everyone. The photographs are accompanied by a description, that provide a summary of the events surrounding the image.
Payam
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very good
Amber
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful photos! perfect coffee table book.
Miki
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Amazing.
David Miles
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating collection of photos. Well worth a read.
Diego
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Their theme for the whole book was "the 1st photo" to do this or capture that. But those photos did change the World right when they were made public. Nice little description provide for each photo.
Graeme Ellis
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, not surprisingly since these are great photos.
Brianna
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
At least it changed my world.
AB
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pictures do speak!
M
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Very interesting. I learned a lot and enjoyed looking at the photos and learning the stories behind them.
Jessica
It was good, though I disagreed with a few of their choices and more than a few of their NON-choices, it was a nice "snapshot" of world history.
Tamara
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Skip the chapter on war if you have a weak heart.
Jess
This book made the rounds of my large family. It's an amazing conversation starter, work of history, and guest-magnet. I teared up at a lot of the photos...but isn't that the point?
Carlos
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great pictures, too american-centric
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
  • The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott: Unseen Images from the Legendary Antarctic Expedition
  • Earth from Above
  • Malice Toward None
  • Rainforest
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • The Archaeology of Death and Burial (Texas A&M University Anthropology, 3)
  • MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“Words. Ever since chisel was taken to slate, it has been accepted that words can and do change the world.” 0 likes