Start by marking “Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)

Eye of the Storm

(Sean Dillon #1)

Former allies in the IRA, Sean Dillon and Martin Brosnam have chosen different paths. Now Dillon is a terrorist for hire, a master of disguise employed by Saddam Hussein. Brosnan is the one man who knows Dillon’s strengths and weaknesses … and brilliant mastery of espionage. — Once friends, now enemies, they are playing the deadliest game of their careers. A game that culm ...more
Published July 1st 1993 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published June 5th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Storm

Start your review of Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
Tim
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought as I have listened to some of the other, "Dillon," stories, but to this point found none as good. I now have a clearer understanding of this character who originated in '92. Michael Page is superb as narrator. This story is not for the faint of heart. 10 of 10 stars
Jim
This was fun, but not great. Things moved a little too quickly & easily most of the time. I was also disappointed because I expected a different main character. That's on me, though. Well narrated. ...more
Mal Warwick
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Eye of the Storm, British thriller writer Jack Higgins reimagines the story behind the mortar attack on 10 Downing Street that took place in 1991 shortly after John Major succeeded Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister. The attack took place during the early days of the First Gulf War, when Baghdad was under attack from the air and a land invasion was imminently expected. The Provisional IRA engineered the attack, which mirrored its tactics in Northern Ireland. Instead, Higgins puts the blame o ...more
Erth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Marty Fried
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-long-ago
I read this book, and others by this author, long ago, and only remember that i enjoyed them enough to read several, but mainly as I came across them in used book stores, never really seeking them out. But this was way back before Goodreads, and before ebooks.
Jane Long
Not bad. Took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I enjoyed it. Think it's the first one I,ve read by him. Onto the next one now, Thunder Point.
A Man Called Ove
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 Jack Higgins was the first author of thrillers that I read. The Eagle Has Landed remains a must-read WW2 thriller. It was a book that has been copied by other authors and by Higgins himself repeatedly !
Although he repeated the same basic storyline - someone had to be rescued/assassinated in his novels, they were fun reads because of the fast pacing, the protagonists (Liam Devlin and later Sean Dillon) and the style. This one was read more for the sake of nostalgia but clearly the style is
Travis Bird
Jun 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Having read The Eagle Has landed, and having my expectations high, I was amazed to discover that old Jack only had one book in him! This and several others among his efforts show a recycling of the same character types, story lines: I can't figure why he hasn't been denounced loudly for it. I read a few and came to believe I could write a Jack Higgins novel myself using his templates. Unlike Jack, I won't be so cruel. Don't bother reading anything he wrote apart from "Eagle".
Greg
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Won't read the rest in this series

Just bad. Dillon is supposed to be an elite criminal. Yet, he makes mistake after mistake. Tells everyone his plans. Fails twice.

Won't waste my time continuing this series.
R.P. Morel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: everything_else
How the character Sean Dillon came to be.
Steve
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
June 2018 Sean #1 but my 5th Jack Higgins. I think I appreciate Sean more as a person part of the Ferguson team than as an ruthless independent contract.
Keith Wofsey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Had to put this one down. 30% into this book and nothing much is happening.
When I picked it back up it was a slow read up until 50% into the book.
The last 50% moved much better.
Martin Hill
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sean Dillon is a bad man. A very bad man. A former IRA gunman, Dillon now hires himself out as an assassin to any terrorist group or intelligence agency with enough money to meet his price. In this Jack Higgins' thriller, Eye of the Storm, the man meeting Dillon's price is Saddam Hussein, Iraq's embattled dictator besieged by an international Coalition of countries during 1991's Operation Desert Storm.

Hussein wants to lash out beyond his country's borders to show the Coalition he can strike at w
Danny M
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack Higgins The story is very interesting. The story is written in typical Jack Higgins format. It is a novel about an IRA hit man Sean Dillion who goes public for hire. The story is very fast paced and easy to read. The book is one in a series featuring the villain Sean Dillion who becomes a very likeable character. The name of the books in the Sean Dillion series are listed below. It seems all the Jack Higgins novels follow a similar story line, and if you enjoy his writing style you will enj ...more
Pierre Tassé
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
A rough start to be expected as the first book, but I found the whole prmise Jackel-like and not imaginative. It picked up speed near the 75% reading mark but remained bland. I have reservations in going to book #2 in the series. If no other books come in and there is a void in my reading material, I may attempt but as of now, so many interesting authors out there.
Stewart
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing thriller. The plot is not believable. There is really no climax (as the author tells you on page one how its going to turn out). The characters are mostly pretty thin and the writing formulaic.

Give this one a pass.
Aseem Achintya
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
masterpiece. first Dillon book i read. i dont have a copy though. theres little i wouldnt do to get a library edition or even a hardback of this or its renamed version: Midnight Man.
Carmen
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though not as thrilling as Eagle Has Landed, this novel is still captivating enough to keep you glued to the pages.
Gayle Noble
Very much your average spy thriller, I didn't find it particularly enthralling. Hoping the series improves as it goes along.
Osama Bagdady
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was like a low budget Bollywood movie ! And the cover of the book says " the legend jack higgins " legend for what bad novels ?!
Alice
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used to be a fan of Jack Higgins, especially his WW2 thrillers & his Sean Dillon books. I've read Eye of the Storm (Book One in the Sean Dillon series) at least twice all the way through, and have gone back and skipped around re-reading my favorite parts several times. Eye of the Storm focuses on the real life mortar attack on 10 Downing Street on Feb, 7, 1991, mixing facts & real people with the fictional characters & what might have happened leading up to the attack.

I do like some of the cha
Tim
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
Jared
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel that introduced Sean Dillon as a character. The author paints a picture of him as a truly evil person who cares not who he kills or who he works for. Fast-paced with lots of action. The author portrays Sean's language and acting abilities, something which is not emphasized later in the series. His survival at the end strongly hints he will return as a character. A great opening to a character who will become something more.
Denise
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
An interesting conundrum: Is it possible to have a protagonist who is a remorseless killer for hire with no redeeming qualities or moral compass and is clearly the villain of the piece and still make him likable enough to root for him? Answer: Apparently so! I picked this book up quite by chance and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. The writing is nothing special, but plot kept me hooked and I definitely want to see some more of this character.
Chatgemini
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It is written like a true thriller and is an easy and exciting read. But unlike " The Eagle has Landed", it lacks the edge that would have made it into a masterpiece. However, the main character - Sean Dillon though an assassin has been crafted into an endearing person.
TFrancis
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprising. .

Having not read the books in series, I was surprised to learn how Dillon's character has changed. He doesn't garner any symphony from the reader in this book and is indeed a cold blooded murderer
Roopkumar Balachandran
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another superb thriller by Jack Higgins. The author has created alternate history involving bombing of No.10, Downing Street. A cat and mouse game between Sean Dillion and Martin Brosnan and cameo of Liam Devlin.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Bill
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
A great start to this classic series began in 1992. Sean Dillion is the former IRA operative who had become a gun for hire to Saddam Hussein. The action is fast and the killings are ruthless. I have always wanted to read this series. Four (4) stars.
L.M. Mountford
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read, with all of Jack Higgins usual style and plot devices. Except, when reading this, you can really tell that Higgins had always meant to kill off Mr Dillion, rather than have him turn into the hero of almost all his future novels.
Ajitabh Pandey
This is the first book in the series, but my 3rd. Although storywise all books canbe read independently, but reading this book now gives a fair idea on the character of Dillon before he joined Ferguson.

A fast moving story will keep you glued till the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Icarus Agenda
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Fourth Protocol
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8)
  • Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5; Jack Ryan Universe, #6)
  • The Graveyard Shift
  • To Catch a King
  • When Eight Bells Toll
  • Year of the Tiger (Paul Chavasse #2)
  • The Dark Side of the Island
  • Dark Guardian: A New Dawn (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Dark Guardian: Legends (Dark Guardian, #3)
  • Dark Guardian (Dark Guardian, #1)
  • Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice
  • Pay The Devil
  • The Thousand Faces Of Night
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the best known of the many pseudonyms of Henry Patterson. (See also Martin Fallon, Harry Patterson, Hugh Marlowe and James Graham.)

He is the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)