Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  737 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The first major collection of new and classic haunted-house tales by masters of the form. Vengeful ghosts and kind ones, violent poltergeists and innocent shades, phantasmal victims and evil specters with intentions ranging from the horrific to the erotic - spirits of every sort haunt the houses in this anthology of tales by such distinguished writers as Joan Aiken, Robert ...more
Published October 16th 2000 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I found this volume to be very good reading. Pretty much all of these stories were thrilling, and some were extremely scary, necessitating a brief break before I could continue reading. Some were more sad than anything, with spirits who had no where left to go, so they lingered on the earthly plane in a limbo. It took several months to finish reading this book, but this is the kind of book you read in sessions anyway. Definitely makes me glad that I live in a brand new house. One of my favorites ...more
Matt
I think most importantly, if you are going to put together a collection of stories under the banner "Haunted House Stories" you might want to make sure that all the stories are about haunted houses. While this is somewhat not the case here, I still enjoyed the bulk of it. I should also mention that the number of stories written before 1930 vastly outnumbered those that were more modern. I guess I had expected a book of modern stories about haunted houses. Not necessarily a book containing quite ...more
Robert
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
There are a lot of ghostly stories in this book. And with a book that is just a bit bigger than a paperback and small print this is quite a punch in a small package. A lot of the stories are European (mainly English) and a lot of them are quite old. Each story has a brief introduction to the author which was a nice feature as a lot of the authors I knew nothing about. Again a lot of these stories are quite old so the authors of course have faded with time. Perhaps to haunt someone else wherever ...more
France-Andrée
It took me a while to read this because I tended to read a short story or two between books, but I really enjoyed most of the stories. It is quite uneven though some stories are really good, others just make you say : "bah". I think my favorite part of the book is the last section where the favorite haunted house short stories of the stars of horror movies are presented; I especially liked the favorite of Vincent Price The Waxwork by A.M. Burrage. I also really enjoyed Boris Karloff's favorite T ...more
Sian Jones
As tends to be the case with these big collections, some stories are dull, some are good, some are better. This particular anthology leans heavily towards the 19th century, but I tended to like the stories from the 20th century for their slightly less canonical flavor.
Priyanka Haldar
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mammoth book of Haunted House Stories by Peter Haining is a collection of real life and fictional of haunted house stories by writers around the world.

I was really terror stricken while reading some of the hardcore horror stories in this book. That is what horror stories do to you. I read many horror stories till date but mammoth book is the ultimate book where you will get all the greatest horror stories of all times in one place. This book has a wide variety of horror to offer you, ranging fr
Amy
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this book. I have been reading ghost stories for so many years that many stories feel formulaic to me. I am also delighted when I find a large collection of stories that are not repeats for me and that I have a hard time predicting how the stories will end. Plus, the authors represented here are very talented. I really enjoyed a lot of the language and description that they provided. Several of the stories are instant classics with me and I'm glad tat I ...more
Linda
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love "horror" stories! None of them really frighten me, but I like to see if I can figure out the endings. This one has many, many interesting stories from Victorian to Stephen King. Some are by well-known writers - Gaston Leroux (Phantom of the Opera), Bram Stoker (Dracula), H. G. Well (this one is REALLY funny!!!!), and Stephen King. Most are by authors you probably don't know unless you follow this genre and have read many of the old classic authors like M. R. James.

My absolute favorite in
Amy Corwin
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Although I had read a number of stories from this collection before, about half were previously unknown to me. I enjoyed them all--it was a perfect collection of eerie haunted house stories. None were overly graphic (which is often a problem with horror stories).
Rachel
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of wonderful spooky stories that (for the most part) lack the cheesiness that pervades the vast majority of ghost story anthologies. The selection of authors is great, and although I own a ton of ghosty anthologies, there were tons in here that I hadn't read before.
Jeanine
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction, own-it
From Robert Bloch to Stephen King, terrific haunted house storied.
William Light
Feb 03, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid collection of ghost tales. I was surprised to learn that even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote supernatural stories!
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I must say that if I read a book blurb and a house and ghost are mentioned there is a 99.8% chance that I will read said book, so this collection was a little slice of heaven for me.
Pam Winkler
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a good collection. A lot of the older stuff. Or I just liked the older stuff better, it's hard to say.
A Case of Eavesdropping by Algernon Blackwood is pretty nice; his stuff tends to be good.
Ghost Hunt by H. Russell Wakefield was also pretty good.
The Southwest Chamber by Mary Eleanor Freeman was very good.
The Toll-House by W.W. Jacobs was also very good. I've read it before, and it's still good.
The Ankardyne Pew by W.F. Harvey was good.
The Real and the Counterfeit by Louisa Baldwin
Camille
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I truly love horror stories, whether they take you on an adventure through a haunted hotel, or spook you for a few minutes of your life with a campfire story. I really enjoy raw, genuine scares. But I did not feel that while reading this book. It felt like a constant build up of what should have already happened, but never did. Though the introductions and beginnings of the stories always seemed promising, they felt extended and due to this it felt far too boring to never see the climax of what ...more
Banx
It turns out that not all the stories in this book are about haunted houses. Sad.

The Mammoth collections tend to be a bit hit and miss (though I vaguely remember thinking one of the early horror ones was fantastic). And that is certainly the case with this one. There is not a lot of modern fare here, and most of the stories are likely public domain. I don't mind that if the quality is there, but this collection was rather average.
Jimmie
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spooky stories for October. My favorite section of stories were the favorite of past horror stars like Lon Chaney, Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi. And Bram Stoker, Stephen King, McKnight Malmar and A. M. Burrage stories were creepy!
Jeanine
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating collection of haunted house stories. It includes authors from Bram Stoker to Stephen King. The stories are from the 1880's through the 1970's and each is just plain creepy and starling in its own way. I highly recommend this book - its definitely five star.
Angel
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love ghost stories! There were only maybe 3 or 4 short stories that I didn't care for. I really like the section they added at the end that has the favorite stories of Vincent Price, Robert Englund, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Peter Cushing and Christoper Lee. That was awesome.
Saklani
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good collection of Haunted House stories with both famous tales I'd read before and more obscure ones that deserved the discovery. Nice selections overall by the editor. Perfect for Halloween!
peaseblossom
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepy
A decent anthology with some hits and some misses and quite a few stories I'd read before. Most of them even manage to be about haunted houses.
Kimberly
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seriously "MAMMOTH". Loved most of the stories. Lots of old fashioned haunted manor house stories.
angela
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
read it before it was ok
Crickett
its ok,not the best ever in my opinion
Brandi
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
These were some great stories however it took FOREVER to read. If you like short ghost stories these are the ones for you.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
I really like to read ghost stories, even though I don't read much short fiction these days. Ghost stories and Christmas stories, though, I still enjoy.
Wayne Noble
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good collection of stories.
Keerthana
Sep 04, 2013
Jess
Mar 05, 2012
Haunted House Exp...: The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories 1 9 Sep 22, 2015 08:06AM
  • Haunted Legends
  • Manchester House
  • The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Collected Ghost Stories of E.F. Benson
  • Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • The Virago Book of Ghost Stories
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • The Haunting of Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #2)
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...