Start by marking “Low Road: The Life and Legacy of Donald Goines” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Donald Goines was a pimp, a truck driver, a heroin addict, a factory worker, and a career criminal. He was also one of world's most popular Black contemporary writers. Having published 16 novels, including Whoreson, Dopefiend, and Daddy Cool, Goines's unique brand of "street narrative" and "ghetto realism" mark him as the original street writer.

Now, in the first in-depth b
Published October 15th 2004 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Low Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Low Road

John Hood
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
By Eddie B. Allen, Jr.

WHEN EDDIE B. ALLEN, JR.'S new biography of Donald Goines was slipped under my cell door, I was stoked. When word got around the block, my fellow cons were stoked too, so much that they threatened to snatch the book away from me if I didn't read it at once. Ever considerate, I did as I was threatened. I read, and I read, and I read some more. Then I asked myself:

Where the fuck is Donald Goines, the American Gulag's number-one ch
Matt
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a decent biography of Goines, till the real thing comes along. Like Goines books, it's a quick read and doesn't feel pressed to be all that polished or artful. Each chapter tells us a section of Goines life (once he's born, of course) alongside great long passages of social history. Usually, it's even the case that chapters will be split between these two things, so a chapter on Goines army experience will also be about the war in Korea, integrating the armed services, etc, all these thi ...more
Chad Montabon
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't read, 'Donald Writes No More' - the other biography that came out within a year of his death, but this seems like not the best that can be done with the material.

Most of the book is rehashing what was already known and the author plays up his personal aims with the book for a focus on social justice in the media, but it was an enjoyable read. With Goines increasing popularity, hopefully a more complete biography will be on the offing soon.

The demise of Donald Goines is barely touched o
Caesar Warrington
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Allen's Low Road: The Life and Legacy of Donald Goines is a disappointment. The book reads more like an outline of the black American urban experience through the 50's, 60's and 70's than a biography.
Joseph Hirsch
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't shed a ton of light on the story of Donald Goines, but to be fair, Donnie's world was a very dark one, and he may have hidden many of the details of his private life by design. This book is certainly better than the rush-job bio that came out about Goines shortly after the author's death (with the publishers shamefully using a photo of the author in his coffin on the cover), and Allen Jr. writes well enough for those blank spaces and blind alleys in the saga of Goines to be for ...more
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a biography of Donald Goines, who wrote a lot of sleazy ghetto fiction books. The only book of his that I have read is Dopefiend, which is good, but is also one of the most depressing books I have ever read. But anyway about Low Road, its not that its bad but this is very incomplete. I really didn't feel like I knew that much about Goines except he was a junkie, he was a convict, he was a criminal, he was murdered. There is a lot of filler in this book too where the author goes into gene ...more
Dawn
Sep 19, 2011 added it
This is the 3rd time I've read this book. Hoping beyond hope for a different ending. Wishing we could have been blessed with morew of this man's talent. He died like he lived...REAL
Jacqueline
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Terrible, thought I was going to get in depth on the writer Donald Goines instead a history lesson that has NOTHING to do with the author himself, a definite waste of my time.
Zaki

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99