Start by marking “Trust Me on This” as Want to Read:
Trust Me on This

Trust Me on This

"I bet that smile gets you everything you want...."

As soon as Alec Prentice spotted the spicy brunette in red silk, he vowed that the tempting con woman would not escape him! Dennie Banks was prepared to do anything to get her story, even flirt her way into the arms of a man who promised to help; but when the feisty reporter dared him to kiss her, his mouth scorched hers w
Published June 2nd 1997 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me on This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me on This

Tammy
Trust Me On This is a screwball romantic comedy about mixed identities, a December/May (secondary) romance and an underlying message about marriage vs. career.

Surprisingly, this one was just "meh" for me. Most of Crusie's books make their way to my keeper shelf. I jumped on Crusie's bandwagon a few years ago after discovering her sharp wit and wicked sense of humor. I've been pushing her books on unsuspecting friends ever since.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments. Like the comment about Al
Alp
3.25/5

This was my fun and easy read.
Even though this one wasn't as good as other Jennifer Crusie books, I enjoyed reading it and liked all the characters in the story. I think its humor was the thing I liked most about this book.
Saly
Rating 3.5
I really like Jennifer Crusie, her books are totally wacko and fun because of that, you just have to be in the mood for quirky.
This book had way too many players which made it fun. The heroine is a reporter, the cautious sort who has never taken risks and has been in her safe job for twelve years when she gets a scoop about a feminist whose marriage is about to end, so she finally decides to take her best friend's advice and take a risk but things don't go as planned.

The hero Alec has
Jacob Proffitt
I just didn't connect much to this story. It doesn't help that it's pretty thoroughly 90s, both in setting and tone. Alec is kind of a wimpy tough-guy and Dennie is a somewhat limp feminist and while they had some snappy dialogue I just didn't care much. The secondary characters didn't really do much for me, either, and the few scenes from the villain viewpoint dragged everything else down, too. And don't get me started on the bad legal bit at the end—like cops throw out the entire Bill of Right ...more
Sabrina
Jennifer Cruise says at the beginning of this story that this is the only screwball comedy she's ever written and I think she should write more! It still has her signature voice and wit all over it, but it is slightly different than her other books. That's one of the reasons I gave this a 3 Heart Review for the story. The story works so well – really it does, but because of it being a comedy of errors, one of the “rules” of romances is not to let the conflict be something that if the couple just ...more
Marleen
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice little screwball comedy. It’s light and fluffy. It’s the easy read I enjoy between more substantial genres. I knew starting this book I wasn’t looking for anything too deep.
Jennifer Crusie has a definite and recognizable style. Even her books written for Bantam, like this one, carry her discernible stamp. She creates extremely likeable, approachable, sexy male leads. Alec Prentice is just too cute for words, and honourable too. I mean despite the wit, the banter there's always re
Anja
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook.

2.5 stars.

The con artist investigation was ridiculous and disappointing.

I thought a few scenes with the H/h were funny and snappy but apart from that I was bored. There wasn't enough interation or emotional depth for me.
Jenna
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you want to roll your eyes and gag at horrific gender stereotypes in a ‘romance’ novel someone cranked out in their sleep to make a few bucks, you’ll love this. If you have any sense of reality, individual sense of self respect, or people’s tendency to not fall desperately in love after 24 hours to the point of getting married despite being the eternal bachelor/bachelorette type, then you may want to steer clear. I said ‘ugh’ a lot while reading this.
Kim Marques
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I typically really like Cruise's books, but I couldn't even finish this one. The characters are crazy underdeveloped, the "mistaken identities" would have been cleared up in approximately ten seconds in real life, and the dialogue was really terribly written. I'm usually a fan of Cruise's work but this was a DNF for me.
Meredith Schorr
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won't usurp Bet Me and The Cinderella Deal as my favorite of her books, but addictive just the same. Love this author.
Willow Brook
Another underwhelming re-release from Crusie, this one from 1997. Her reissues have been extremely hit or miss for me. A few I've really enjoyed -- Cinderella Deal, Anyone But You, What the Lady Wants. A couple that barely earn 2 star status like Charlie All Night and now this one.

Crusie describes the story as a Screwball Comedy, which is an apt enough description. I like Screwball Comedies overall but maybe more in movies than books, or maybe there was just too much in Trust Me On This that ma
Robin Reynolds / October Woman
Jennifer Crusie has long been one of my favorite authors, and I have pretty much everything she's written. So I was beyond excited when I came across this book at a library sale and realized it was one I'd not read yet. I put it on the shelf, not intending to read it right away as I already have so many books lined up, but it began taunting me, “read me, you know you want to, trust me on this!” So I finally dove in, and oh, it was worth it. Jennifer Crusie never disappoints.

Dennie Banks is a re
Elizabeth
Alec and his boss Harry work for an unnamed agency that tracks down white collar criminals. Alec's Aunt Victoria invites him to a literary conference. Alec somehow determines that the land swindler they've been tracking down, Bond will show up at. Meanwhile, Dennie's a journalist who feels like she's not taking enough risks. She deduces that a famous author (Janice) whose husband is cheating on her will be at that same literary conference so Dennie heads their to stalk, er, get an interview. Oh, ...more
Becky
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Trust Me on This is a reissue for Crusie, but since I didn't get a chance to read it the first time around I was glad for the chance now. I've been a fan of Crusie since reading Welcome to Temptation, which has since become a favorite. I've found many of her most recent efforts--mostly collaborations with another author--disappointing, however. Trust Me on This is a return to classic Crusie. The author herself calls it a "screwball comedy" and it is, with misunderstandings gallore and a plethora ...more
Linda
Dennie Banks is an investigative reporter chasing down the biggest story of her career. Alec Prentice is a government agent working undercover to catch an elusive grifter. When they meet by accident, it's a case of mistaken identities at first sight. What they don't mistake is the instant attraction they have for each other, an attraction they'll do everything in their power to resist--because Dennie thinks that Alec is running interference for her interview subject, and Alec suspects that Denni ...more
Punk
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Romance. Two con artists, three English professors, two government agents, and a journalist walk into a hotel bar. This is another of Crusie's older books, repackaged and republished. The setup is super clunky, but once everyone's in the same place the book just zips along. The banter is great; all the making out is great; but the sex is not so great, and was in fact so unappealing I actually skimmed it. I liked the romance between the two thirty-somethings. They had chemistry and treated each o ...more
Shannon Stacey
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was mad fun! Great dialogue and banter, with a zany plot in which nobody is who everybody else thinks they are. I would have given it five stars, because it was incredibly entertaining, but the two romantic arcs were very rushed. I didn't mind it in the secondary romance because they were older and they'd been around the block, so just reaching out and grabbing some happiness worked for me. But the primary romance didn't really develop. It just suddenly...was. But, overall, it was a fu ...more
Melanie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle
This is apparently a re-read for me, but I honestly don’t remember reading it the first time. I think that says more about me and my memory than about the book, though. It’s fun and silly and full of Jennifer Crusie’s trademark characters (quirky, smart, feisty, lovable) and zippy dialogue (I love how everyone always says “oh, hell”) and funny romantic situations. She never writes in classic romance tropes; even though she kind of follows the formula it always feels fresh and fun and you get swe ...more
Theresa
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I wanted so bad to love this book from the start....I actually didn't love it until the middle. I love Ms. Crusie's writing (as evidenced by the amount of her books I have read) and usually it grabs me from the start so much so that I can not put it down. I reread the rerelease of this book and could tell that it was one of her first books. Good but not the awesome and instantly engaging storyline and characters that I am used to. Still a great fluff book!!
Siria
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Well, this was much better than yesterday's Crusie installment (What the Lady Wants). There was a little more wit, a little more character development, a slightly better integrated plot, and a secondary pairing involving an older woman/younger man. That said, no one should ever, ever use the phrase "kicked off the slam" to describe a particular part of the sex act. Oh my god, Crusie, what?
Georgie
A delightful cocktail of a book - sweet, quickly downed, and leaving one smiling at the rest of the evening. Crusie does insta-love/lust really really well, and here it's leavened with a Do-I-Trust-You plot that is easy to understand but still twisty enough to intrigue. And an Older-Love sub-plot.

I could put away two of these before dinner. Easily.
Lexxie Couper
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, rom-com, romance
Highly enjoyable. In the vein of a classic Doris Day/Cary Grant film with a contemporary setting. The chemistry between the heroine and the hero (Dennie and Alec) was delicious and the secondary characters (especially Harry, the gruff, grumpy detective) were a delight to read.
Splage
Funny and simple story of mistaken identity. He thinks she is a swindler, she thinks he is a air head Clark Kent look a like. There is some funny banter between H and h that did make me laugh out loud, but the story was corny, too clean and nothing new.
Nidofito
Rating: 2.5/5

Lightly entertaining with some snappy dialogue between the H/h.
Carrie
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and frothy and I totally enjoyed it. Don't look for depth or believability. Look for some great dialog and screwball comedy. Think zany but clever romantic comedy movie.
Michelle
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute idea but I just didn’t love this one. I tend to find this author’s books just light and fun but this seemed different from her newer books. I can’t put my finger on why, maybe just because her writing style is more fun now.

This story has a bit of mistaken identity added to the rom-com. Dennie is a reporter and she’s trying to interview someone who will not grant an interview. Alec is works for Harry and he is trying to take down someone guilty of selling property to the rich and clueless an
Ochie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another one funny and lovely book from Crusie. I love the characters as usual. And not just the main characters, but also the secondary ones, Victoria, Alec's aunt and Harry, 'Alec's boss. As usual, the lines were quick, witty and funny. At this point, Crusie could not go wrong with me (well, maybe just Maybe This Time.. hehehe).

One really sweet line/conversation that I loved in the book was between the leads, Alec and Dennie, which goes:

(view spoiler)
Tami
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical Crusie This was a fun ride - the overall (and very much in your face) topic was "risk something".
All four characters who formed the two couples in the book were bumbling along in their lives and with a little shove changed their live to the better.

I immensely enjoyed the humour - a trademark of this author.

I loved the main character though she was not perfect, she was interesting and a lot of fun.

But my favourite was Aunt Victoria. She was just incredibly cool. I am not 100% sure I lo
Tatyana Vogt
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is another one that I just didn't enjoy as much. The "Insta-Love" Was just too much for me to get past. It's wasn't subtle and it kinda ticked me off and made it too unbelievable. That being said, I enjoyed the story for the most part when I ignored the insta-love because the characters were cute and the general story was okay.

Spoilers:
(view spoiler)
Karol
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Little simplistic. It was a smart move to state from the beginning that the two MC's have everything come easily to them, because that's exactly what happens throughout the book. I like the 'idea' of the motto, that failure is a sign of really living, & therefore risking it all is worthwhile, but that's not always true in the real world.
But all the 'good guy's' were likeable & interesting, plus the story was light & entertaining.
  • Lie to Me
  • The Disgraced Playboy (The Notorious Wolfes, #2)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • All They Need (Porter Siblings #1)
  • Capelli's Captive Virgin
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • The Soldier's Wedding (Special Forces, #1)
  • Ex and the Single Girl
  • Be My Baby
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • Otherwise Engaged (Sunrise Key Trilogy #3)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Divorced, Desperate and Deceived (Divorced and Desperate #3)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • Crazy For Love
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
“If you haven't failed, you're not trying hard enough.” 28 likes
“Trying to seduce Alec at all was a waste of time; he came preseduced anyway. Like a microwave entrée. You pressed his buttons, and he got hot.” 11 likes