Start by marking “The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)

The Devouring

(The Devouring #1)

The Vours: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, an
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 231 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devouring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devouring

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Older teen horror fans
I finished this book with an undecided feeling. It was a good read, and kept my interest. I'm not sure that I enjoyed it that much. A very interesting concept about creatures that take over the body of a person who is absolutely terrified on Sorry Night, which is the night of the Winter Solstice. I heard about this book, and read some positive reviews, and decided to go for it. I have no regrets that I did read it, but I have to say that there were things I could have liked better about this boo ...more
Anne
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
YA Horror isn't in the same league with Adult Horror, so I'm not going to try and compare apples to carpet cleaner. There's no point.

This was a really good teen horror story. I wish I had been able to read it when I was younger, because I'm sure it would have been one of my favorites.

The breakdown of the story is that a girl and her best friend (who happen to love all things scary), get their hands on an old journal that they believe to be someone's idea of a joke. Maybe the first draft of a nov
Spider the Doof Warrior
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Normally I do not dig horror books.
This is not totally true, I went through a brief John Saul phase in Jr. High school. I don't really dig gore and being scared out of my skin, but this book is very good.
What's good about it is the main character is extremely brave. She faces up to her fears to help save her brother. She isn't some wussy girl who needs to be rescued.
You don't really get enough of that in books, I think.
Kristi
Sep 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I wouldn’t classify myself as a fan of scary things. I’ve been afraid of the dark for as long as I can remember, yes, I am still afraid of the dark. I do not like scary movies, I happened to watch It, the movie based on the novel of the same title by Steven King, when I was in elementary school, I don’t think I slept for weeks, and I still haven’t been able to watch the movie again. So, when I grabbed a copy of the Devouring by Simon Holt and read the synopsis, I have to admit I was a little sca ...more
Trisha
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
"If you don't learn how to be scared, you'll never really learn how to be brave."

What a fun little creepy story surprise. I wasn't sure what I was getting in to. I didn't read the book write up, I just check the cover and a few friend reviews and I was in. I love reading horror so I was excited to give it a try!

Reggie is just your average girl - she loves horror stories & her little brother. She's a fill-in mom after their mom left. She stumbles on a journal style story completely on acciden
Cereja Cult
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog, reviwed, on-my-shelf
OH-MY-GOOOOOOOSH,,,, I LOVE IT!. This book is amazing. It got me hanging in every word and the description was so vivid that got me terrified with every nightmare.
The vours are simply terrifying things that can get you if you get scary enough. They take your body and send your soul to a terrible place.
The worse part is that nobody knows that you are missing because your body is still there, but not your soul.
I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
The best scary book ever!!!!!

The Plot - Bloody
Rachael
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reggie is a horror fan; she figures reading all those scary books and watching all those scary movies is a sort of preparation for the real thing, real fear. But for Reggie, real fear is just arachnophobia for example, something real she can name. So when she stumbles upon a mysterious journal detailing the horrors of certain demonic beings called Vours that take over human bodies, she dismisses it as a work of fiction. But she can’t deny the strange coincidence of her little brother Henry actin ...more
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

Buddy read with Amy!

CW: general scary scenes and abandonment by a parent

This is another reread/finally finishing a series that I’m taking part in! And, I am really glad that this book lived up to the hype I put in my brain. This isn’t a popular series. In fact, only three of my friends have read and rated this book. Crazy, right?

The Devouring follows a broken family. Reggie is in high school and has to fill the role her mother had before she left the fami
Kim
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It was fun to read but I would have like this much more if I'd been at least 10 years younger. I don't have a lot to say about this book to be honest.

Some scenes in the book are really trying to gross you out and I wonder if anything will happen with Aaron.

It was good enough to make me want to find out what's next.
Lucy
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Darren Shan fans, teen horror fans
Shelves: teen, horror, supernatural
Regina Halloway loves scary stories. She reads them compulsively--she even works in a horror book store. Sometimes, she thinks she might be reading them to distract her from the truly scary things in her life--like the fact that her mom ran out on them, and they haven't heard from her in over a year, or the fact that her father is more and more distant every day. Or the fact that she is singlehandedly raising her little brother, Henry.

But mostly, Reggie just reads horror because she loves it. An
Victor
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans and R.L. Stine fans that are a bit older
"Comparable to books by R.L. Stine and Stephen King... A must-have for horror fans."-School Library Journal

"A scary yarn spun at breakneck speed, perfect for those chilly winter nights."-Kirkus

"Irresistible."-The Bulletin

These three quotes are exactly what I thought when I was reading this! If those don't convince you then maybe I should give you some things that I liked in this masterpiece!

Killer mutated babies!

Scariest clown scene I've ever read and I have read It by Stephen King!

This is
Jackie
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans 16 and up, espcially John Saul fans
This is an extremely well written horror story that kept me cringing and reading late into the night. It concerns Regina and her younger brother Henry, who has become possessed by a demon-like entity called a Vour. Adults are pretty much absent in the picture (with one mysterious exception), so it's up to Reggie to figure out how to save her brother. This is one creepy book, and it leaves plenty of leeway for this to turn into a series. Yes, there's even a clown involved (ugh!). I'd liken it to ...more
YA Reads Book Reviews
As far as covers go, The Devouring is pretty spectacular. In fact, it’s so good that I picked it up off the shelf in the store and decided I was going to buy it even before I looked at the blurb. Apart from being visually stimulating, it manages to capture the real essence of the story without giving too much away.

The blurb is pretty enticing as well. Check this out:

Vours:

This isn’t how the ho
Michelle. D.
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS GOOD! IT WAS ...more
Becky
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Holt, Simon. 2008. The Devouring: Sorry Night.

"Stop, Reggie!" Henry barked from beneath his quilt. "Don't read anymore!" Regina Halloway shut the book. (5)

Regina--called Reggie by most of her friends and family--loves to read horror. Loves it. So much so that she works at a used bookstore devoted to the genre. But perhaps Reggie should have been a bit more thoughtful as to what she was reading her younger--and much more gullible--brother, Henry. Then again, Regina hadn't any idea that her latest
Vania
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
This book is instantly chilling. I was sucked in int he deep abyss of Reggie's fears. This tale is dark and deep, chilling me to the bone. A gripping tale of overcoming your deepest darkest fears turning them in on themselves.

Reggie starts off as a weaker character growing stronger and more assertive through her love and devotion for her little brother. She begins the novel with a theory that proves useful later: she immerses herself in horror and fright through movies and literature, knowing th
Jessica Saylor
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Quick Overview: With an entrancing plot but slightly underdeveloped characters, The Devouring was a fun read that left a lot of room for a great series.

This book was nothing like I expected it to be. Looking back, I have no idea why I didn't pick this book up sooner. It has been sitting on my shelves for probably about a year, and I just ran my hand across it without taking a second look every time. If you are having the same problem, don't hesitate. This book is worth the read.

The Devouring h
Sensitivemuse
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good I wanted to stay up at night to finish it. The prologue was so good and gripping that I had to continue reading it to see what would happen. The book had all the makings to become a horror movie itself. The writing was great and an easy read. It had very well written descriptions of horror scenes which is enough to put the reader on edge. Some parts were so well written I found myself reacting to it out loud while reading.

Fear is the main theme here, and Reggie has a giant
Natalie
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
“When dark creeps in and eats the light, bury your fears on Sorry Night. For in the winter’s blackest hours, comes the feassting of the Vours. No one can see it, the life they stole. Your body’s here, but not your soul…”

Reggie has always been a fan of the gothic, the supernatural, the horrific. One day, while working at the local bookstore, she comes across a book called The Devouring and, thinking it’s just another horror novel, takes it home. As Reggie and her best friend, Aaron, peruse the bo
Alexandra
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I had heard so many awesome things about, bought at a Borders closing sale, and then left to sit on my bookshelf for months and months. Why did I do that?!
It was SO good!

The Devouring is a YA horror novel, but it's actually really creepy and well written. I like the way Simon Holt's mind works. From the very first page, I was sucked right into this story.

The School Library Journal compares Simon Holt to R.L. Stine which I guess I can see, but The Devouring is m
Nely
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I really can't say I am a fan of things scary. I avoid scary movies like the plague. To be quite honest, I always tell the hubs "if we are ever caught in a scary movie-type scenario, run with the kids, I'm going to be the one who trips and falls and gets keeeled by the monster".

With that said, The Devouring, was all that and a bag of chips for me. I was scared, I was excited, I was at the edge-of-my-seat, I was taken in from the start and spit out at the end... and then I couldn't stop thinking
carole
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Freaky, with a capital F. You know those books you read that really play out in your head like a movie? Well, this is one of them. Holt does an excellent job really creating images from words. I can't say I'm a huge horror fan. But, this is the first book I've read on the subject so maybe my opinion is based on lack of exposure. Great book, amazing yet terrifying story.

Regina and her best friend Aaron are all about anything scary. Regina is a high school freshman who works part time at a book st
Krista
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ya
I LOVED IT!

This book grabbed and held my attention. I raced through to the end and wasn't too disappointed. I was hoping for a stronger ending, but not all books can end the way I want them to.

The general premise is someone is inhabited by a Vour which is basically and alien-like creature who takes over a human's body. The original human ends up in a place of eternal terror where all his/her biggest fears are realized and made into reality. Well, the person you love ends up there, you have to fi
Mariah Hansen
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is very spooky. I was unsure if I would like this book but after I got more into it, I found myself intrigued with Reggy trying to save her little brother from these "so-called" vours. It is very adventurous and I can not wait to read the sequel. I know what she goes through day to day taking care of her little brother and the fustrations she has. I wonder if I would have the strength to overcome my fears as she did. Anyone who loves books that are creepy and spooky--this is the book f ...more
Erin
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is packed with action, horror, suspense and horror. I loved every bit of this book.
Priscilla
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Check out my video review: http://www.youtube.com/user/thereadab...
Mirjam
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this as a "Read a scary book" challenge. And Im glad I didnt read it at night home alone although Ive heard multiple young-adults say that it isnt scary at all. Yes it is. Im gonna have nightmares.

I didnt expect much of it and thanks to that Im pleasantly surprised. There were many cliches and some events were predictable but it had its twists and turns where I was really holymoly surprised.

I will keep recommending this book to anyone interested in horror in my library and Ill keep waiti
Mande Garrett
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Halfway through the book it had me feeling creeped out and spooked. Fast paced til the end. Liked how it ended.
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a series by Simon Holt. The 2nd book "Soulstice" is coming out in September '09. I wasn't able to find how many books are planned for this series so if anyone knows; speak up!

Reggie and Aaron are horror fanatics. Reggie finds an old journal at the horror bookstore she works at. The journal talks about Vours, evil entities that can take over your soul during winter soulstice. The Vours can only enter the minds of people who are truly afraid. In an effort to scare themsel

• The Heavenward Path
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Revealers
  • The Mark (The Mark, #1)
  • Possess
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Sleepless
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Wishful Thinking (Swann Sisters Chronicles #1)
Simon Holt's writing career began with a horror fanzine in high school the publishing of which overheated the school's photocopier. Undaunted by detention, he's continues to pursue writing ever since. Holt supported himself as a hostel night clerk and a handbag salesman before becoming a full-time novelist. A comic book collector and amateur musician, he makes his home in Chicago.

The Devouring (3 books)
  • Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)
  • Fearscape (The Devouring, #3)
“When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul...”
99 likes