Start by marking “The Case of the Mythical Monkeys (Perry Mason, #59)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Mythical Monkeys (Perry Mason, #59)

The Case of the Mythical Monkeys

(Perry Mason #59)

LETHAL CABIN FEVER

Gladys Doyle's luxurious ski weekend, courtesy of her employer, takes a sharp turn for the worse when she heads home on Sunday. Heavy storms force her to seek shelter with a surly stranger in a lonely mountain cabin. Next morning there's a dead man in the bedroom, the mysterious host has disappeared, and poor Gladys's fingerprints are all over the murder
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published September 5th 2000 by Ballantine Books Inc. (first published March 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Mythical Monkeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Mythical Monkeys

Start your review of The Case of the Mythical Monkeys (Perry Mason, #59)
Evgeny
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gladys Doyle became a secretary of a bestselling author. Everything was fine and dandy until one day her boss sent her to a luxurious ski resort to represent her (the writer) in a movie rights talk. She also told her secretary how to avoid main roads not to spend to much time in the traffic. On the way back Gladys followed the directions, got hopelessly lost, and got her car firmly stuck in mud. Luckily she found a log cabin nearby.
Log cabin
The guy inside was not very hospitable (and speaking honestly G
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
The best part, as usual, is Tragg and Mason heckling each other. Also Drake gets a few good lines about eating (his soggy hamburgers vs. Mason's steaks). Mason is classy without being entitled, smart without being overly highbrow, daring without being immoral.
Stacy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this one for a book group. It was a pretty good retro time in spite of the sexism and corny jokes.
Jc
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sure, Gardner had a "formula" behind his mystery novels; and some critics have emphasized that even in California, courts would NEVER put up with his nonsense. But, so what? -- these are still great "lite" (even if formulaic) mysteries with great characters. Always good, if simple lawyer/detective stories (courtroom versions of "cozies"). I can't resist them. So, three cheers for E.S.G.'s great escapist reads. I had to re-watch the TV (R.Burr) series version of "Mythical Monkeys," and was fascin ...more
Richa
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a long time, a real good, meaty Perry Mason book. I really enjoyed this one. Full of intrigue, glamour, innuendoes, mystery, smart quips... everything you need in a good Mason Murder Mystery.
I was surprised to see that this is the 60th case in the series. I thought, it might have been his earlier cases, since it is kind of interesting.
Usually, it has been my observation, that when an author writes 70-90 books, in the mystery genre especially, there is hardly and novelty during the fag end
Versel Rush
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For reasons that are not relevant here, I decided to pick up an old Perry Mason book (one I haven't read in over 20 years, maybe 30) and read it again. I chose this book for no particular reason.

Even though you know how it is going to end (hint--Perry's client gets off), it doesn't change the wonderful writing of Gardner whose courtroom scenes are still hundreds of layers above Grisham.
Milt Jacobs
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The one armed gardener did it. OOPS
Ed
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, legal
#59 in the Perry Mason series. I'm showing my age here, but as I read about the female author and her scandalous book, I couldn't help thinking of Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls (1966); maybe this 1959 mystery was an inspiration. There is a very unusual variation on Mason's usual courtroom climax; but it works and is a suitable conclusion to this complex mystery.

Perry Mason series - Gladys Doyle's luxurious ski weekend, courtesy of her employer, takes a sharp turn for the worse when she
Erskine
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another of Gardner's better efforts in the Perry Mason series. Several of his usual tropes are abandoned in favor of some fresh story telling.
Rupesh Goenka
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This Perry mason mystery has everything - sex, sophistication, flair & high courtroom melodrama. INTELLECTUAL & IRRESISTIBLE. ...more
Mike Billington
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I was a fan of the original Perry Mason television series, I had never read any of author Erle Stanley Gardner´s novels about the iconic attorney.
This year, however, I decided that I would step away from my usual habit of reading current Indie authors almost exclusively and reach back to sample writers from the past such as Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, and Gardner.
I´m glad I did because as much as I enjoyed actor Raymond Burr´s portrayal of Mason, I discovered in this
Greg Chandler
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
We know pretty much from the beginning that the accused is an innocent victim, guilty only of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mauvis Niles Meade has written a sensational bodice ripper that may touch a little too closely on autobiography. To avoid an embarrassing interview, she sends her secretary Gladys in her stead, providing directions to a short-cut to help her make a hasty retreat. When the directions disappear, Galdys copies them over from Mauvis' hand drawn map, not noticing t ...more
Syrdarya
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: california, mystery
Author Mauvis Meade decides not to go for a weekend meeting at a ski resort with a reporter and sends her secretary, Gladys Doyle, instead. Everything goes really well until Gladys drives home, and her car becomes stuck because of the mud in the forest. She walks to a cabin, seeking help, and encounters a surly man who reluctantly allows her to stay the night. To her shock, in the morning she discovers a dead body in the house, and she's the main suspect.

This is one of my favorite Perry Mason no
Ashwin Dongre
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
So was Gladys Doyle purposefully led to be trapped in a murder? Or was it just a coincidence? Or was it a part of a bigger plan? This is yet another novel, in which almost all the characters are equally probable murderer, they all have a grey character. And you almost miss the real clue pointing to the real murderer (I did not, ;p ). The story become quite entangled and confusing, none of the incidences match to make the whole picture. Towards the end you do start getting a glimmer of the pictur ...more
Suvarna Reddy
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complicated yet logically simple.

Oh! I love Perry mason's way of solving murder mysteries. Earl Stanley Gardner depicts the court room scenes so well. Initially he seems to complicate all facts and characters but finally, it's just pure and simple logic. But hatsoff to the author for such real-life like novels. The twist in this story of the unsuspected Mrs.Manly finally evolving as the murderer is the highlight of the novel.
John
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Story of a recently hired personal assistant to an author who sends her out in her place to an interview where upon coming home via a shortcut suggested by the author stumbles across a murder she is charged with.
David Ong
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monkeys scarf

It is well written by the author. He showed good deductions in the book in the ending he mixed different personalities in plot
virginia miller
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Story

Always amazed you how he figures things out. Love following the story line and guessing WHO. I never tire of this easy read entertaining edcape.
George Eraclides
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another well plotted, clever who-dun-it. It hangs together better than most, and goodness, there's even a bit of tension between Drake and Mason, and Tragg and Burger.
Bob
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here off-putting. It can be stiff and mechanical. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by 1950 are the best. This one was written in
Anna
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardner-read
The case of artificial monkeys
The first three chapters tell a background story of Gladys Doyle, a secretary/personal assistant of a bestseller author Mauvis Niles Meade. She was sent up to the mountains with very specific instructions to meet a wolf and discuss her employer's publicity details. Though everything goes so great that she can just enjoy nice weekend skiing, she gets lost in the storm on her way back in the middle of nowhere at night. Trying to avoid freezing to death, she gets herse
Jeremy
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman acting for a romance novelist goes out to stand in for her at a boring meeting/party, gets lost on the way back, winds up stuck in the mud, and is forced to spend the night in a cabin occupied by a very unfriendly gentleman. She wakes up and the man is gone, and there's a dead body in a bed in the other room. This was a really fun, twisty plot that included the federal government and lots of Lt. Tragg, who can be one of my favorite characters (some of the best episodes of the TV series f ...more
Mary
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This is my 61st Perry Mason story (a couple of them are short stories, most are novels). The legal points are always interesting, and the dedications are also informative. These novels were written during the formative years of the forensic sciences as we know them; many of the cases would not have gone to court at all in the current days of dna analysis. It is most interesting to see how things were done 'back in the day', though the courtroom legal issues have not changed much. Lawyers for pro ...more
Ivy
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
I fell in love with Perry Mason years ago and still love reading his books over and over again. This is one that I don't remember ever reading but then I could be wrong. These books were originally written in the 1950s so are very dated and for someone who has not read them before may throw them a bit. I like that they show some really good detective work and great court room drama. I like the way Mason figures out who did it and the way that he solves the crime before the police can even think ...more
Grada (BoekenTrol)
Apr 28, 2012 marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Grada (BoekenTrol) by: creativechaos
My humble opinion about the part of the book that I actually read. (About 100 pages).
I did not finish. Why? To be very honest, I found a horrible read! Very predictable, very high "poor female - strong man" content, very small print, not exciting or captive at all.

I'm glad I've tried on now, but I'm also happy to say that I won't get near another Perry Mason again. I'm sorry for the person who recommended it, but it's just not my kind of book.

Evelyn
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
An amusing murder mystery that although written in the 1950s is quite up-to-date with our celebrity obsessed culture since the mystery involves a best selling authors, criminal schemes and as always a damsel in distress and a white knight to the rescue. Although a bit thin on characterizations as most of the later Perry Mason mysteries are, this is nevertheless a very enjoyable and fun to read book.
Les Anderson
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the better Perry Mason mysteries. It again proves that the extraneous events around a murder can distract from the truth. The burgeoning professional friendship with Lieutenant Tragg continues to grow, which is so fun to see. However, Hamilton Burger again shows what an ass he is, although this time the public doesn't get to see it. It's no wonder he keeps losing cases when he treats judges and justice like this.
Doug Dams
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The secretary of an author loses her way home and spends the night in a remote cabin. She wakes up and finds a corpse in the cabin. Only a mysterious visitor to the cabin may provide the answers but Perry and detective Paul Drake can't find him. It's a good story with a couple of twists. It's a fun quick read.
Russ
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Grabbed this book from a stack of old books laying around the cabin as a change of pace. My first Erle Stanley Gardner book was very entertaining, though slightly anachronistic, set in the late 1950s. Very enjoyable.
Megha K
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Similar to the other Perry Mason novels, this one too is gives you a treat of Mason's reasoning and deduction capability and his mindfulness. Witty, well paced and clever, this book makes for a quick read though still an engaging one.

• The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge (Hercule Poirot)
  • In Praise of Prejudice: The Necessity of Preconceived Ideas
  • The New Vichy Syndrome: Why European Intellectuals Surrender to Barbarism
  • Line of Control
  • Sniper's Debt(7even Series Book 2)
  • 79 Park Avenue
  • Top of The Heap (Cool and Lam #13)
  • Sniper's Eye
  • Breathless
  • The Plumley Inheritance (Ludovic Travers, #1)
  • The Mars Mystery
  • Introducing the Toff (Toff, #1)
  • The POLITICS OF BAD FAITH: The Radical Assault on America's Future
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Quatermass (Quatermass #4)
  • Kiss (87th Precinct, #44)
  • Neanderthal
  • Meet the Baron (Baron, #1)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)