Start by marking “The Case of the Irate Witness” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Irate Witness

The Case of the Irate Witness

(Perry Mason #85)

Contains four short stories: The Case of the Irate Witness, The Jeweled Butterfly, Something Like a Pelican, and A Man is Missing.
192 pages
Published (first published September 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Irate Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Irate Witness

Start your review of The Case of the Irate Witness
Evgeny
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
First things first. At this point I am positive my friends became annoyed with reading my non-stop reviews of Perry Mason series. Rejoice my dear friends and followers as this book contains very last story of the series. The drinks are on you!!!
Drinks
This is book 85 of the series. Yes, I read them all and I have my reviews to prove it. I already feel like I am missing some important part of my life.

The book contains four short stories; not a one of them is long enough to qualify to be a novella.

The Case of thenovella.
The
Alyson
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection! One short Perry Mason mystery-ette, and three other short mysteries, each with a different investigative character. This was actually my first introduction to Lester Leith, and I enjoyed him (and his story) enough that I will seek out some of his other heists!

I was actually really surprised, because the Jeweled Butterfly did not read like an Erle Stanley Gardner story, and I don't mean that in either a good or a bad way, simply that it had a diff
Ed
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
#85 in the Perry Mason series. 4 novelettes including Author Gardner's only short story featuring Perry Mason. The stories originally appeared between 1942 and 1953 before being collected in this 1970 compilation. In addition to Perry Mason, Lester Leith is a protagonist who has appeared in other works by Gardner. Stories are all different but enjoyable.

Contains four short stories: 1. 'The Case of the Irate Witness (1953),' After being stopped at a police roadblock checking on a robb
Lucie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book contains 4 stories, one short story and 3 novelettes, only one of which is a Perry Mason story. It was interesting to see the same attention to small details in the other stories leading to solutions to the puzzling mystery. The publisher's note indicates that The Case of the Irate Witness is the only short story that features Perry Mason, but still has the famous court room scene.
Anna
The case of the irate witness

A story with a ghost client. I know it's probably just an abundant first draft of an idea, but still... While getting on his weekend getaway, Mason gets pulled over and ID'd due to a bank robbery that occurred in the city he was driving though. Rumor has it that he's defending the robber, so randomly, the famous LA lawyer decides why not? No one hires him and we don't even meet the defendant, but who would care? There's typical Gardner court action, every
Bailey Marissa
(3.2) (Again, I didn't read the whole book, just the Perry Mason story)

Perry's goodness gets him invovled in a trial, where he proves the client innocent due to looking at the situation logically.

Recommended 11+ for robbery and maybe some language

Paul
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four good who done it novellas, only the first of which is a Perry Mason Story.
Richa
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of interesting suspence stories. Every story was gritty, logical and gripping.
Debopriyo Moulik
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The book has mediocre mysteries. They are not overly complicated though the resolution is muddled.
Elizabeth S
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-mystery, z-2011, c-adult
Even though I liked Gardner's Perry Mason novels, I enjoyed these short stories a lot more. I guess Gardner's short story writing style fits my tastes better.

Published posthumously, this is a collection of four of Gardner's short stories. The first, The Case of the Irate Witness, is a Perry Mason gem. Short, quick, and clever.

Next we have The Jeweled Butterfly. It is longer, more of a novella, and features an amateur female detective, Peggy Castle. "What," you say? "A female detective?" Yes, you heard me right.
Dominique Petersen
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has 4 stories. Only the first one, "The Case of the Irate Witness" starred Perry Mason, Della Street and Paul Drake, so it was quite interesting to read 3 different stories by the same author. I really enjoyed them all.
Dhiraj Sharma
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Well lets just say that I find the full fledged novels of Mr Gardner better than this short story collection.
The short stories are good but none that you would remember. His novels are more engrossing and this collection hasn't got Perry Mason and Della Street to keep you hooked.
Vincent Darlage
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Short and to the point... It was a pretty basic story - and felt more like a plot synopsis than a short story.
Lexi Davies
nik
Jan 05, 2012
Will cotton
Apr 03, 2018

• The Mystery of Death Trap Mine (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #24)
  • Surprise! Surprise!
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • The Return of Mister Campion
  • Hit Them Where It Hurts
  • The Bobbsey Twins at the County Fair (Bobbsey Twins, 15)
  • Saint V. Scotland Yard
  • Border Town Girl
  • The Cinderella Curse
  • Offshore
  • Tendrils of Life: A story of love, loss, and survival in the turmoil of the Korean War
  • Indian Maidens Bust Loose
  • Turn on the Heat (Cool & Lam)
  • The Crimson Flame (Hardy Boys, #77)
  • Pythagoras' Revenge: A Mathematical Mystery
  • Skeleton Justice (Jake Rosen & Manny Manfreda  #2)
  • Means of Evil and Other Stories

Innovative and restless in his nature, he was bored by the routine of legal practice, the only part of which he enjoyed was trial work and the development of trial stra

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop