Start by marking “Manhunting” as Want to Read:
Manhunting

Manhunting

A timeless tale from the first name in romantic comedy - Jennifer Crusie!

OBJECTIVE: Find Man
Must be Rich, Handsome, and Successful

Kate Svenson is attractive, successful, a brilliant businesswoman - and miserable. After three failed engagements, she realises it's time for a PLAN...and organised, detailed agenda with a clear goal: finding Mr. Right.

The Cabins resort is ripe
Published January 30th 2007 by HQN (first published January 1st 1993)

Start your review of Manhunting
Bark
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Manhunting is a five star read if there ever was one. If you're feeling blah and want a good laugh - along with a wonderful romance - you can't get better than this!

Kate Svensen is thirty-five, gorgeous and has a successful career. She's the kind of heroine we all love to hate. But wait a minute this is a Crusie heroine after all and not your standard perfectly coifed heroine. Not at all. Kate may be more successful than most of us ever dream of becoming but she's also insecure and more than a l
Diana
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are times when I crave a night of romantic comedies. Manhunting fulfills this hunger in book form.

Is it mindless? Yes.

It is predictable? Yup.

Is it for everyone?Probably not. But that's okay!

For those of you that adore a cute little love story, this is it! I don't know if it's because I haven't read any chick lit lately, but I let my emotions rush with Kate (the main character). I swooned, I hoped for the best and got what I/she wanted.

I guess I was in that type of mood. :)
Jacob Proffitt
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steamy, romance
This is her first novel?!? There's the cutest note at the front of this book that says it's her first and a favorite as a result. I can totally see why. Jake is cool enough (besides the name, I mean) and I really liked how... dimensional, I suppose... that he was. His attachment to Toby's Corner was endearing, even while his lay about lifestyle is mildly off-putting. His brother, Will, helped that a bit as their relationship and shared insights into Jake actively showed us that he had more depth ...more
Linda

At 35 years of age, Kate Svenson seemed to have it all except a fulfilling personal relationship with....Ta Da!......a man. She needed a good man. Someone to love and accept her for who she was. Convinced by her BFF, she took the plunge and set off to vacation at The Cabins in Kentucky and find her dream guy.

The author has fine-tuned a formula and MANHUNTING had it all. Some insecurity with the H and h. Silly antics with stupid-goofy moments. Crisp dialog that sparkles at select times.
CatBookMom
Stretching this to 3 stars. Cute, maybe a little too cute. Not as good as Maybe This Time ...more
Al George
Chick lit category. My first reaction:

barf

But this one? It wasn't so bad. Don't get me wrong, it did have those moments where I was all, kicking you to the curb (what is with me and kicking these days? It's like all I wanna do.)

NOTE: read this as part of New Years challenge in the Unapologetic Romance reading group. Chick lit category.

Setting / Time / Genre: Current or rather more like early turn of the century. This century though.

Series: I do not believe it is

Sexy times: Yes. But something like a
Carrie
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5* This book was so much fun! I loved every minute of it. The characters (all of them) were well done, the writing was hilarious without being slap-stick, and the dialog was sharp and witty. I only wish it was twice as long! Crusie is sort of hit-and-miss with me, I loved Bet Me, and enjoyed Anyone But You. However, I didn't care for parts of Fast Women (too cynical about marriage) and I have attempted and not finished Welcome to Temptation twice. After reading Manhunting, I'll definitely be g ...more
Cyndi
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lucy McGillicuddy looks for a husband. What could go wrong goes wrong for every man who tries to get close to the heroine, finally the hero tries his luck. That by itself would have made a good story but Crusie steps it up a pace with angst and true love pushing itself forward.
Great story!
Saly
This book was a total hoot because it had two characters who practiced self-delusion perfectly, the heroine with her corporate life and three engagements she broke off, who wanted to have a companion, someone smart and successful and definitely not like the hero Jake who does nothing, ever since he quit his job as a tax attorney in the city and invested all his money in the resort run by his brother and that is where these two meet.

The hero doesn't want to do anything or so he tells himself as h
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asher Lee ;)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really enjoyed this one!
It's part of my "Conquer all Jennifer Crusie's books quest" !

If you needed a little motivation to read this one...
Here is what I had the surprise to find in it...

[image error]
Aubrey
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance fanatics
This book was hilarious! It is so hard to write a good romantic comedy. This is the first book I've read by this author and checked it out simply because I wanted to read a pink book. Usually I read books where there is a really good romance but not much of a plot, or a really good plot without much of a romance. I felt like this book had both. There were some major steamy scenes, so watch out, but this was one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Emma
I loved this book. I always like a good love-hate relationship, this was particularly witty and enjoyable. All her dates made me laugh so hard! Great RomCom!
Sara
This book was hilarious. You pretty much guess how it’s ending from page 5 or 6… but getting there is truly funny!
The bantering is great, witty, and irresistible.
This book is a quick, happy, and easy read. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a literary romantic gateway.
There’s one xrated scene towards the end, if you’re not into that skip a few pages, the story is great anyway.
Lady Heather
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit, contemporary romance
Really good story!
Loved Kate!
Jack certainly took his time getting his head out of his ass, but in the end it well worth the wait!
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Manhunting is like comfort food. No, this isn't a usual justification of those who try to play down how entertaining something is only because it's a genre some people tend to look down on. Hell, at one point fantasy and science fiction, even horror were looked down on. That right there should tell you something.
Anyway, back to comfort food statement. With the exception of a couple of tiny distractions (moustache), there isn't much here to make you feel anything but good.

After three failed eng
Siria
Cute, fluffy, and predictable, this is very definitely early Crusie. While it is rather clichéd, and the writing is not technically strong—and I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll ever find a man with a moustache attractive—there is still enough spark in the banter and creativity in the humour to make it more than just a run-of-the-mill Harlequin romance novel. It passed an enjoyable hour or so in work, and if you like Crusie or romance novels in general, you'll probably enjoy this—just don't pick ...more
Jan
On the shorter side, but very cute and sweet. I liked both characters, and especially the inner conflicts they faced. Normally I prefer romances that play over a longer period, but I think Crusie made up for the fact that falling in love in a week is not staying in love forever, by letting the characters aknowledge that and worry about it.

Kate's encounters with potential partners were quite funny, though the last one seemed a bit contrived to me. I loved her early encounters with Jake though, an
Isabella
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fluffy, adorable thing. It is funny and light!
Tiffany PSquared
**Audiobook Review**

(Yet another Kate and Jake character book. Are authors contracted to do at least one book with these character names? There are literally millions of names out there - why these over and over?!)

Kate has a plan for falling in love, and successful businesswoman that she is, she's sure it will work too. All she has to do is stay one step ahead of an apparent dating curse and make sure she keeps slow-moving, lazy Jake squarely in the friend zone. But what's that saying again abou
Mela
Another funny romance by Jennifer Crusie.

Every one of my favourite contemporary romance authors has her (yes, they are all women) own mark. In Crusie's novel, that are witty, hilarious scenes and dialogues. Her love stories are a bit fast, I mean, the main characters often decide to get married (have their HEA) after a few days. But that doesn't matter, because her books are extremely amusing and that is the point.

Besides the humour I like that Jennifer Crusie often picks some more serious issue
alyanna ✨
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, chick-lit
OMGGGGG ITS SO GOOD I FINISHED IT IN ONE SITTING...it's such an easy and cute read!! im so glad i come upon this book i was literally so desperate for a good chick lit literally at 12 midnight....and i got what i wanted yay! i lost sleep for school for this HAHAH bc i couldn't stop reading until 3am!
Jen
I really love this book. It is another of my go-to books for when I'm feeling very depressed or having a bad panic/anxiety attack. Like Getting Rid of Bradley, it's a short and quick read that gives me "all the feels." I laugh. . .I cry. :-) Also like Getting Rid of Bradley, it's a favorite book o'mine by Jennifer Crusie. It's sometimes in a tie for first place in my affections, but usually it's my very-close-second favorite, as I think I always read Getting Rid of Bradley first. :-)

I've read th
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
4.5 stars!

This is one of my favorite chick lit books. It's one that I turn to when I'm in a slump or when I'm in the mood for a funny and cute romance book. I've read almost all of Jennifer Crusie's books and I love that her female characters are always so realistic and a little bit on the crazy side. Kate is a character that I normally wouldn't like. She has a good job and has good money and all she wants is to find a rich and successful guy to marry. This isn't as cold and calculated as it sou
Wendy
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Having absolutely loved Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me, I hoped and expected to love this one equally, but I didn't. There were good parts - the dialogue, especially between the romantic leads, sparkled and the leads themselves sizzled from time to time, and there wasn't a vampire or werewolf in sight - but much of the rest was rather uneven, and I often felt like I was being told what was happening, rather than being shown (the writerly dictum being "show, don't tell").

The premise strained my creduli
Jess
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, jennifer-crusie
Highly entertaining!! This book is all about Kate and her need to find the perfect man for her. She's already been engaged 3 times and never married. She keeps leaving the men after realizing that they aren't right for her. Her and her friend Jessie decide that Kate needs to attack marriage as if it were a business plan. After all, that's what Kate does for a living, so this should be the same thing right? No. Kate comes up with her plan of what the perfect man will be, and Jessie sends her out ...more
Samantha
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Svenson is on a mission. Her goal is to obtain one successful, non-jerk of a man to make her husband. The hunting ground of choice is a resort in Kentucky called Cabins. When Kate gets to the resort she soon finds out that her plan has too many holes that she didn’t take into account. There’s also the fact that all the men who go out with her usually have something bad happen to them before the end of the date... like heart attacks, etc. Then there’s Jake who doesn’t fit into her plan, but ...more
Dawnie
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
edit April.'16
Nothing new to add, it's just as fun and cute and easy to read as the other times. I love the date scenes and how absolutely ridiculous they are. And while the overall idea that people fall in love within a week and just overturn their entire life after that is very far fetched for me it is still a wonderful and very entertaining read!

Highly recommend if you want something fun, funny and cute to read!

Very fun easy read that made me laugh out loud at a few places.

The way the stor
Suzie Quint
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites
I know that for a lot of folks WTT and Bet Me are the best Crusie reads, but this one is my favorite. I've had lots of guy friends, so I love that these two start out as friends. It's so much fun watching them "fishing" and I love how much enjoyment he gets as she manages to cripple every man she dates. I love, too, the way the realization that there's more going on than the friendship just slaps both of them upside the head. (Yes, I've experienced that, too.) This is my go-to for guaranteed lau ...more
Chelsea
Another fun read from Crusie. It turns out this is actually her first book, reprinted with a much less embarrassing cover (poor Jennifer), and it shows, a little. Not her strongest novel, but fun and silly, and the hero has a mustache. Thought that was worth mentioning. Oh, and someone gets stabbed with a fork! I lol'd, as it were.

She really is good at banter. These characters can go back and forth with the best of them, and I have a huge weakness for solid banter.
Lee
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, so the ending is totally predictable...as in, it's obvious within the first couple of chapters who the main character is going to fall in love with. But the story between the beginning and the end is entertaining and funny, and the dialogue has some wonderful banter. I found myself laughing quite often at the sarcasm and light wit.
Play Book Tag: Manhunting by jennifer Crusie 3 stars 1 13 Aug 13, 2017 07:15AM
2017 Reading Chal...: 1993 - Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie 1 12 Dec 07, 2015 05:05AM

• Knock Me Off My Feet
  • The Kept Woman
  • Simply Sinful (Simply #1)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Just the Sexiest Man Alive
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)
  • Sugar's Twice as Sweet (Sugar, Georgia, #1)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Love Lettering
  • Body Heat (Simply, #4)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1)
  • Manhunt
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • House Rules (Uptown, #3)
  • She Went All the Way
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.