Start by marking “Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1)” as Want to Read:
Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1)

Mistress of Pleasure

(School of Gallantry #1)

REAL PLEASURE CAN'T BE TAKEN.

Granddaughter of a renowned courtesan, Maybelle de Maitenon has no interest in her grandmother's school in London where gentlemen receive instructionin the art of seduction. Her only desire in life is to remain independent, free from men and the shackles of marriage. But when Maybelle lays eyes on Edmund Worthington, the Duke of Rutherford, at
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of Pleasure

Start your review of Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1)
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
MISTRESS OF PLEASURE

RATING: 4½ Stars

What a deliciously saucy book Mistress of Pleasure was! It was refreshingly different, uproariously funny, wickedly sexy, and peopled with a wonderful array of richly drawn characters. I didnt even mind that the plot veered towards the implausible at times because overall it was a fun read.

Here are some of my favourite moments ~

Maybelle has decided to ensure her independence by losing her virginity and thereby making herself unmarriageable. All she has to do
Delilah Marvelle
May 31, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My dearest Reader,
Having recently acquired the rights back to this playful, naughty book, I decided to do far more than slap a new cover on it. Even if you've read Mistress of Pleasure, you'll find since its original publication back in 2008, this book has undergone a metamorphosis.

This revamped second edition has countless new scenes, both romantic and hilarious in nature, which were added throughout the book in an effort to make you feel like you're reading it for the first time. What's
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
**4 School of Seduction Stars!**

Another enjoyable read by DM.
Review to come!
Fionna
May 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too unrealistic. It is hard to believe that the heroine would actually be the (temporary) headmistress of such a school even if she was the granddaughter of a courtesan.

I can't understand how they grow to love each other. To me the whole book is full of sex, sex, and alas, sex. There is no doubt that they love each other's body and appearance.

But hey, it's a HR, shouldn't there be love?
When I read their saying "love", what I could feel was nothing but LUST. It's okay to start their encounter
Lorka
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My second Delilah Marvelle story, and unfortunately this one didn't come close to the magic I felt in her book Forever a Lord. It was interesting enough that I kept surprising myself at how far I had read in each sitting, but I was CONSTANTLY telling myself how absurd the story line was. I really don't think that I have had 'absurd' cross thru my thoughts as much as while reading this story. The heroine, for one, was an inconsistent crank. One minute she wants to be immediately seduced by the ...more
Dawn
I really enjoyed this one. It was a sweet,light hearted story which actually made me laugh out loud a few times. There was passion and heat between the H & h and of course there is struggle and conflict keeping them apart. I loved the characters--all of them were really well developed and stayed true to their personalities and nature.

Although I put this as a bodice ripper, I would think die hard erotic readers may think it tame.

This is not reccommended for those who are into clean reads,
Inara
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance fans
Maybelle de Maitenon was raised by her grandmother. Nothing special you would think but Maybelles grandmother was a famous former French courtesan and so her upbringing was rather unconventional. Meaning? Maybelle knows more a about sex than a girl her age or even a respectable married woman in that era should know but only and that is the crux of the problem - in theory. To rectify this situation and to get rid of her innocence she decides (under the approval of her grandmother I may add - ...more
Gemma
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Delilah Marvelle is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

This is the second book I have read by her and was her debut novel and knowing this I can see the promise of a great writer.

The book starts off in a very unconventional mannor and doesn't let up from there. The characters are a joy to read and you keep hoping that the hero and heroine come to there sense and realise that they are meant to be together.

The sex scenes are fantastic and I found myself lost in the full book. So much so I
(Nat) Reading Romances
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sexy! One of the best erotic historical romances I've ever read.

I loved how this story was so different from what we usually see in the genre. Delilah Marvelle's voice is very fluid, and her characters captivating. I could really relate to the main characters and can't wait to read more about the supporting ones!

This title is first in a series but can be read as a standalone as it doesn't have a cliffhanger.
Raquel
Light, funny and entertaining. A nice break after some of the heavy books I've been reading.

Some parts read more like a contemporary romance than a historical romance. But it was still very entertaining and enjoyable.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I really enjoyed this book, even after reading the previous edition i still found it hard to put down. 4.5 STARS
Eileen Dandashi
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Whoever thought one could be so popular and yet so equally despised? It made no sense. But then that was the ton for you. They set rules even they had trouble following. Quote from Mistress of Pleasure

What better way for a man to know hes pleasuring a woman in the ways that count except by taking lessons from a demimondaine at The School of Gallantry? Maybelles grand-mére was going to ruin them totally. When the great and well-known demimondaine starts the school, she has many applicants. Duke
Jen Davis
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I jumped into the School of Gallantry series with book 3 and I absolutely loved it. I followed along through the end of the series and am only just now seeing where it all began. I read this as a second edition re-release, which I understand has some differences from the original, so you may want to keep that in mind.

One of the things I really like about this series is that the books all take place in the same period of time. So even though I didnt start with book one, with all of the events
La La
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
The book started out very promising and kind of went down hill from there for me. The heroine seemed so bold in the begininig. Upon seeing the hero she immediately wanted him and proceeded to have him, but it seem like right after their encounter she becaome a prude. Her change in demeanor started to annoy me a little. I also found the love scenes to be a little lackluster and at times felt like there wasn't really much heat between the hero and the heroine. I felt like I was watching the author ...more
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Maybelle and the Duke make for an unconventional couple. I like strong heroines and Maybelle certainly does not fit into a mold. The story was good. There were unique aspects that made it more interesting. I felt there was potential for more. I don't know that it is quite an "erotica" and much as a steamy romance. I'm glad I read it :)
Delitealex
Light and fun read. I enjoyed that Maybelle wasn't the typical woman from that time mainly due to being raised by a French courtesan. I liked the chemistry between Maybelle and the Duke of Rutherford. I'm am interested in reading some of the other characters books in the series.
vamsally
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Titillating

Although the summary description suggests lots of risqué, this story is surprisingly sweet and romantic. Will two beings with sad past be able to overcome and accept love. It is not lacking in heat, but with lovely ending.
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Maybelle de Maitenon is the granddaughter of a famous courtesan and went to live with her after her father's death when she was twelve-years-old. It has been her grandmother's dream to open up a school to teach men the art of pleasing a woman. Finally, that dream is made a reality but she needs Maybelle's help after suffering a stroke. Maybelle might be knowledgeable about sex, but her experience comes from books, not the actual act of participating in it. She doesn't want to have anything to do ...more
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

And here is where the School of Gallantry saga begins with a grand entrance with Delilah Marvelle's expertise.

Well known courtesan, Madame de Maitenon's beloved granddaughter, Maybelle would like no part of her grandmother's latest venture of a school for gentleman who wish to learn the art of pleasuring their women. Maybelle wants to travel to Egypt, which has endlessly held her fascination, but leaving her grandmother to her own devices may not be possible.

Maybelle assures Madame de Maitenon
Bernadette Robinson
My thanks to the Publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this story in exchange for an honest review.

I gave this a 7/10. I have to admit that I have read some of this series out of sync as I have already read and reviewed ~ The Duke of Andelot.

In this first story in the series we are introduced to Maybelle de Maitenon and Edmund Worthington aka the Duke of Rutherford. As Maybelle is attracted to Edmund, she learns of his scandalous past and sees him as the ideal man to strike up
Linda
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As the granddaughter to a famous demimonde, Maybelle isnt interested in being married. She knows everything there is about the relationship between men and women, and shes more interested in traveling to Egypt and exploring the pyramids.
Persuaded to stay and help with the School of Gallantry, she takes a note from the family and sets out to experience a fling, just to see what its about.
The Duke of Rutherford lived through a scandal when his father died, and giving in to lust or women is the
ChloeLeeNH
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This one really held my interest and if I sound surprised... I am! I don't normally go for courtesean themed books so this one sat in the shelf for a long time. I finally just wanted to get rid of it so I started reading. And kept reading. I like the story of the h/h and the school with its student was a great addition. I loved several scenes, especially the gift scene. Pleasantly surprised!
Bev Ross
Mistress of pleasure

As usual another awesome read by Delilah Marvelle!! I love her series# I've read every book I think! I will have to double check to make sure I didn't miss one!! I highly recommend this series or any book by Ms. Marvelle I can absolutely say that she is a wonderful writer I would recommend to everyone!#
Shan ~ A ~
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I don't know if I have ever read a historical romance that was exactly like this one and I must say that I loved every minute of it. It was hot and steamy and very funny. I am currently reading Lord of Pleasure and it is promising to be just as great. It just goes to show that falling in love, even when you are not trying to can be fun and sexy.
Isha Coleman
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Wickedly sensual guilty pleasure. Maybelle is determined to prove that she is her own person. That she can make her own decisions. Determine to go to any length to prove that she can take care herself with the protection of a man. What she doesn't expect is to fall for her own experiment. Delilah Marvelle's story of independence, lust and romance was definitely entertaining.
Laura J.
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
witty, sensual, and a

romantic fairytale. An easy, one day read with a hero and heroine to root for. The dialogue between the H/h was smart and witty. There were laugh out loud moments.
Simera
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Mistress of pleasure is the first book in the School of Gallantry Series.
Maybelle really doesn't want anything to do with her grandmother's school or follow in her foot steps.
Duke of Rutherford has ridge rules that he has a hard time following.
Their story is fun and entertaining.
a & e
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god. I loved it I loved it I loved it. Delilah Marvelle is seriously my new favorite historical romance writer.... I hope that the second book is as good or better than the first. It should be I mean come on!!! It's about Hawksford. Yup yup yup.
Lindsey
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Delilah Marvelle and I enjoyed it. I look forward to reading the best in the series. I think they are going to get even better!

At one point while reading I said to myself..."This books should come with a warning label!" :)
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
As usually I couldn't put down a book by the wonderful Delilah. The way this book was written made it so easy to imagine every single scene. I read it all in one sitting and it was like it came to life. I loved every character and the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 23, 2015 06:15AM

• Dreaming of You
  • Masquerade (Scandalous Ballroom Encounters, #1)
  • Deceiving the Duke of Kerrington (Ladies of Deception, #1)
  • A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • The Duke's Mistress (Regency Unlaced, #1)
  • A Taste of Seduction (An Unlikely Husband #1)
  • Bound by the Earl (Lords of Discipline, #2)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Run Wild (Escape with a Scoundrel, #1)
  • Her Husband's Harlot (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Engaging The Enemy (The Wild Randalls, #1)
  • The Duke Who Knew Too Much (Heart of Enquiry, #1)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • Passionate (Passport to Romance #1)
  • The Duke's Wayward Ward
  • The Chateau Debauchery Starter Set (Chateau Debauchery, Books 1 & 2)
  • The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • Once A Mistress
I spent my youth studying various languages, reading voraciously, and playing the pianoforte. I confess that here ends the extent of my gentle breeding. I was a naughty child who was forever torturing her parents with countless adventures that they did not deem respectable. Confined to my room on many occasions due to these misadventures, I soon discovered the quill and its amazing power. I ...more

School of Gallantry (7 books)
  • Lord of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #2)
  • Lady of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #3)
  • Night of Pleasure (School of Gallantry, #4)
  • Master of Pleasure (School of Gallantry, #5)
  • Romancing Lady Stone (School of Gallantry, # 6)
  • The Duke of Andelot (School of Gallantry #7)