Start by marking “Rise of the Undead (End Times, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Undead (End Times, #1)

Rise of the Undead

(End Times #1)

New Year's Day: midsummer in Australia. In Perth, twin brothers Aaron and Matt have graduated high school and are enjoying their last few months of summer holidays before adulthood - while on the other side of the country, something has fallen from the sky, heralding the dawn of a new age.

As a terrifying plague spreads across Australia and the world, Aaron and Matt find t
Published January 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Undead

Steelwhisper
Would have been a 3*, but the overly melodramatic, pat ending took away most of my good will.
Aly
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was another different version of zombies. I enjoyed the characters and the story had so many great pieces in it. I love australia and have only been once but would love to visit again sometime. It was great for me for this story to be there, I loved that part very much! It was a fast pace book and I would read more of this series. *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Randy Harmelink
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Well written, an easy read, and I enjoyed it. However, in the end, there wasn't really anything special to me about the story. Just a run-of-the-mill zombie apocalypse story. Nearly a 4-star read for me, except that there were times I found I wasn't all that anxious to pick up the book and continue, so I have to go with a 3. Plus, I'm not sure I'll go on to the second book...

Since the two main characters are twins, and something was made of their "connection", I was expecting the story to go in
Chandru CS
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyway. She did seem pleased to hear from me, although she called me out straight away on the fact that Dad had put me up to it.

“I’ve lived in this town for sixty-five years, and I’m staying here, and I’m going to be buried next to your grandfather in Bunbury Cemetery,” she said. “Jeez, Grandma, you can still get buried there,” I said. “But all your family’s up here. You know. The ones who are still alive.”
David  Broadus
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book with an astonishing conclusion, honestly I really enjoyed this book from beginning to end. The journal entry method of telling the story really makes the atmosphere personal, and every tragedy is heightened because of it! Can't wait to read the second book.
Rachael Ashak-Benson
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
JUST READ 1-6, Wish it would never end!!.......

*** NO SPOILERS ***
Fantastic. Phenomenal. Jam packed with adventure, zombies, military action, emotion, love (not the romantic kind), suspense, mystery, the right amount of science fiction, wide array of interesting and balanced characters and relationships - overall it has become one of my top favorite series.
And not just because I love it intellectually like I usually do with other series or books, or because of the excitement it offers. Although
NightReader
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Standard zombie fare, but this time in Australia, with two teenage twin boys, Aaron and Matt. Some of the Aussie things took some decoding, but that's because I'm not Aussie. (Things like it being hot at Christmas, Celsius in general, having no idea how far it is between places, trying to figure out what type of clothing a "jumper" is, various stores and brands, what the "state" government represents, etc.)

The story is told as Aaron's journal. When the story starts, his biggest concern is gettin
Ami
This apocalyptic nightmare strikes me as a much more likely scenario if (when) the true apocalypse arrives. I want to believe that most humans are good but, I fear, that would not be true if most were faced with their families starving.

I enjoyed reading it and was well invested in the main protagonists journey. There are lots of twists and a few surprises. There are a few grammatical errors but not so much that they pulled me out of the story. There is also quite a bit of cursing, as a heads up
Jelayne Underwood
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book in a waiting room. (Waiting for my ride home.) I enjoyed the twists and turns in the book. The narrow escapes and all. The ending of the book caught me completely off guard. I am not sure exactly what I said out loud, before dropping my kindle but I had everyone's full attention at that moment. I picked up my kindle and told everyone that I was surprised by the ending of the book. One person asked the title / author and I told him. He plans on getting a copy of the book. ...more
Marcus
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, this is a book about zombies and about the end of the world. The author does it in a diary format though and it's the diary of one of a set of twins. It tells about their daily struggles to survive, about the degeneration of the human race as a whole, and about the zombies. There was also a plot twist and a cliff hanger at the end of the book. The brothers are on a search to find their father, who was visiting a sick relative when the circumstances involving the zombies came ...more
Otis W. Doss III
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
This book is written as the daily journal of one of two twins living near Perth, Australia at the onset of a zombie apocalypse. It chronicles their journey south to Albany to reach their dad. (How one could keep a journal under such circumstances is beyond me, but, what the heck, I'll accept it). It's a really fun read with an unexpected and stunning ending. On to book #2. (Note: The version I read is Volume 1 of End Times: The Complete Series (Books 1-6 Box Set).)
Dawn
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time putting this book down. The characters were relatable and seemed like real people. The plot was easy to follow with a few twists and turns to keep you off guard. The harsh reality of how people would probably treat each other is definitely covered and had me dismayed a few times. I thoroughly enjoyed the journal style that this author used. Definitely reading book 2!
Nora
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
I'm really not sure how to rate or review this one. I was going to go low because I couldn't find much likable about the main characters. But the ending; I'm still kind of blown away and still processing it.
Wulfwyn
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zbooks
What an awesome surprise. I wasn't expecting the story to grab me like it did. The twist though.
Mary
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Home alone

Twin brothers have to grow up fast and think for themselves. Story held my interest. Look forward to the next book.
Bill Bennett
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story.

One of the best written zombie books out there. Characters and setting are realistic and fun to read. I already bought the second book!
Riley Amos Westbrook
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid tale.

I don't usually like first person stories, but this one was pretty good. The atmosphere was very real. A great read.
Ken Houston
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok book

This was a ok diary book. No major surprises but an easy read. I will read the next in the series
Elaine Plourde
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book but the ending was sad. I can understand how Aaron felt after the situation with his dad but I didn't think he would just give up.
tiffany griffiths
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically horrific!

I must say I found this read thoroughly engaging, I found myself lounging to read, even reading while I prepared meals! The characters are well thought out and it had just the right amount of blood and gore to satisfy my darker side. Read it! You just might learn a thing or two to boot!
Kristy Fletcher
Jul 19, 2017
Blair Stackhouse
Jun 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Escape from Zombie City (One Way Out #1)
  • The Dying & The Dead 1
  • Zombie Ocean Box Set: Books 1-3
  • Zombie Maelstrom
  • ORIGINS (The Dead Years 0.5)
  • With Spring Comes the Fall (Living with the Dead, #1)
  • Swarm
  • The War On Horror: Tales From A Post-Zombie Society
  • Cure (Strandville Zombie Series, #1)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Z-Minus I
  • Chasing a Cure (The Chasing #1)
  • Deadly City (Apocalypse Infection Unleashed Series, #3)
  • Blue Moon (Dead City, #2)
  • After the End
  • Zombie Rehab (Impact, #2)
  • Zombie Eden (Zora Baker, #4)

End Times (5 books)
  • The Wasteland (End Times, #2)
  • Blood and Salt (End Times, #3)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (End Times, #4)
  • Kingdom of Hell (End Times, #5)
“There is a world of difference between city Australia and country Australia. It has nothing to do with wealth or education, nothing to do with Southern Cross tattoos and mullets, nothing to do with politics or income or class. It has everything to do with whether you know how to fix an engine, clean a rifle and birth a calf. Whether you know your neighbours. Whether you have enough foresight and pragmatism to convene a town meeting, throw a barricade up along the main road and strip refugees of their supplies.” 0 likes
“We’ll be fine,” I said stubbornly. “The government will sort it out. We just have to wait here and keep ourselves safe.”
Matt gestured out at the city – the dead roaming the streets, the river silent and empty of evacuation boats, even the fighter jets gone from the sky now. Nothing but silence and death.
“We’ll be okay,” I said.
But I didn’t believe it.”
0 likes