Start by marking “Războiul poveştilor: Cum cei care spun (şi trăiesc) cele mai bune poveşti vor domina viitorul” as Want to Read:

Războiul poveștilor descrie supremația tacită a marketingului de mobilizare, de la începuturile unor companii ca Volkswagen, Apple și Nike, până la inovațiile virale Yes We Can, mișcarea Tea Party, The Story of Stuff și Patagonia. Cartea oferă trei instrumente simple pe care orice brand le poate folosi pentru a reuși să-și câștige fani și să devină iconică: Fii interesant, ...more
Published October 16th 2016 by Black Button Books (first published June 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Războiul poveştilor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Războiul poveştilor

Mal Warwick
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A Brilliant New Book on Marketing Destined to be a Classic

If you’ve never seen the wildly popular online videos The Story of Stuff and The Meatrix, do yourself a favor and check them out. These two outstanding examples of the marketer’s craft embody the insights revealed in Jonah Sachs’ outstanding new book, Winning the Story Wars.

For years now, everyone involved in marketing, fundraising, communications, social media, or any related field has been intensely aware that the key to successful mess
Rob Fulton
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. The first half of this book is about the concept of storytelling using his unique formula, building a memorable brand and how you can avoid sabotaging your story with learning what "The Five Deadly Sins" of story telling are.

The next half of the book is so meaningful in the approach to jumping from what Jonah calls "inadequacy marketing," to "Empowerment Marketing."

This one BIG idea, is worth the price of this book alone. When I read that I changed our video sales letter scr
Gurukarm
Jul 18, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is going to really rock my world. I just listened in to a webinar yesterday given by the author, and based on that, I'm pretty sure the book (which I'm only about 20 pages into) is going to be incredibly informative, useful, and uplifting. Will report back!
Jewel Miller
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Author's description of how humans relate to stories felt so true it was as if he was reminding me of information that I had forgotten rather than trying to teach new material. Extrapolating that into the world of marketing was very eye opening.
Andreea Chiuaru
Aș introduce-o clar în programa de la facultățile de comunicare. E o perspectivă diferită și interesantă din care putem privi marile campanii de succes. Nu m-a convins însă partea de „how to”. Cumva, nu mi se pare genul de carte care să te învețe concret ceva, dar are puncte bonus la capitolul „inspirație”.
Solomon Mark
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Winning the Story Wars is an Impressive book. Its a book about branding and marketing. Arthur Jonah Sachs explains about how a Story plays important role in marketing. In old day humans are always obsessed with stories. We share our thoughts or information using storytelling. In those days leaders or mentors used to share ideas and in Digitorial world we call them as Marketers. In this Digitorial era marketers uses social media, Television and internet for branding and marketing their products. ...more
Geoffrey Szuszkiewicz
Sachs wrote a marketing book with a twist. He offers a compelling story for marketers to change their marketing tactics from treating them as passive consumers, to empowered doers who act as brand heroes for your company.

Sachs argues that by combining story and myth we can create truly revolutionary ad campaigns that move people towards action. In order to this the company should follow John Powers three rules to marketing: tell the truth, be interesting, and live the truth—in other words, pract
Rajiv Chopra
This book had much promise, and did partially deliver on the promise. There were some very good points about the art of story telling, and myth, and I think that Jonah started well.

I like the concept of the book and, in many ways, he was very smart to focus on the art of story telling through marketing messages. These now dominate our world. Shorter messages have dominated our world, and we have forgotten the art of writing, reading, the telling of, and the listening of a finely crafted story.
Christopher Clark
The irony of this book (or I suppose hypocrisy might work too) is he preaches his 'myth' or 'stories' that he believes, and uses that as examples. His stories are of course the typical left wing chicken little stuff. Of course, Glenn Beck is mocked, not that I am a fan of his, but it's a leftist book. Too bad, because I like the book's premise. It would be nice to see an objective account of this premise.
Natalie
Strong start to this book. Great concepts. Liked the principles as well as the chapter on sins marketers are committing. Thought the tie in for business could have been a little stronger.
Hannah Mason
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although a few years old, this is the best text on marketing that I’ve read.

It does the usual things: summarizes the history of marketing, gives examples of the best and worst marketing campaigns up to the book’s publication date, and provides a guide for how to make your own marketing better.

But this is a different sort of marketing book, too. It doesn’t just tell you how to use marketing to persuade people to buy stuff. It is, really, a book about empowerment marketing.

It comes from a persp
Brad Henderson
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read!

The premise of this book is a war between what Jonah calls Inadequacy Marketing vs Empowerment Marketing.

He denounces all of the gimmickry of modern day marketing that uses sex, fear, manipulation and everything else a business possibly can to get you to buy their product. This he calls inadequacy marketing.

In contrast, the idea of empowerment marketing consists of inspiring your customers to reach beyond themselves and to fulfill their potential and create
Lisa
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elena Dobre
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Razboiul Povestilor este o carte despre marketingul modern. Autorul ne trece prin tehnicile marketingului "intunecat", asa cum il numeste el, si ne arata de ce nu mai poate aduce rezultate. Consumatorul de astazi este satul de mesaje in care organizatia vorbeste numai despre ea, exact ca un om nesuferit care nu ii da microfonul si lui intr-o conversatie.

Din punctul meu de vedere, principiile marketingului modern enumerate in aceasta carte se suprapun peste imaginea unui tip marketing in care eu
Seth Davis
Interesting take on marketing and building a brand. It's hard for me to rate the book without putting the suggestions within the book to practice but it seems like a good method. It had a lot of political undertones in my opinion that were somewhat distracting from the book's main purpose. All and all a decent read.
Mario Paredes
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El gran valor del libro es reunir los aportes de la literatura sobre historias y mitos pero aplicados al área de Mercadeo. Para aprender más sobre arquetipos, el viaje del héroe y el poder de la marca como mentores. Solo considero el capítulo 2 innecesario "The Five Deadly Sins".
Harding Young
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling strategy for not only engaging in, but winning the story wars.
Gary
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars to the first half. Marketing
Suphatra
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I don't often want to buy the marketing books I read, but I will definitely be Amazon Prime-ing this book. Winning the Story Wars is part social science inquiry, part instruction, and part manual/workbook on how to market causes in the age of digital and social media.

The basic premise of Story Wars is that there is a lack of stories in American culture that expand our ability to see ourselves as part of a larger purpose. Sachs proposes that American marketing, since post-WWII, has been filling
David H Deans
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Without a doubt, content marketing is gaining in popularity. According to the findings from a recent market study, 83.5 percent of B2B marketers surveyed say they are stepping up their efforts over the next 12 months. That's a significant increase from the 71 percent a year earlier. The same study concluded that superior storytelling skills are paramount -- in fact, 81.5 percent of respondents believe that successful content starts with engaging and compelling storytelling.

But some people still
Jay
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, business
Winning the Story Wars suggests that many recent marketing efforts revolve around the negative, while a storytelling approach, based on honest use of archetypical characters and storylines culled from myth, will provide a refreshingly good approach to tell your company's or product's story. This is the second book I've read in a year to refer to Joseph Campbell's work and to relate it to marketing, so perhaps Campbell himself has also hit that sweet spot he writes about. The other book, Stories ...more
Amy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Winning the Story Wars, Jonah Sachs makes the argument that marketers are the ones currently telling the world's myths, and they are doing it in a renewal of the oral tradition. The audience engages with the ads, remixing, resharing, and responding to everything that comes through. In order for a company to effectively get noticed in today's culture, they need to tap into this myth creation and fill the lack in people's lives.

I enjoyed many parts of this book. I was quite enthralled with the
Brian Daniel
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rare 5-star rating for Winning the Story Wars not so much for what it does, but for its ambition and practical measures for application. Sachs spends the first half of the book in case study and development of his thesis. It's true that it feels a little less-than-seamless at times, but that's only because I believe the author is wrestling himself with such a heavy-handed concept and approach to marketing. He basically takes the best of Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces and applies ...more
Cathay
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Mr. Sachs for his holistic approach to marketing. His book gives us a modern view that incorporates social media, advertising, and the impact myths/legends (and archetypes) innately have on each of us.

As a culture we have moved through styles of marketing that speak to our inadequacies (psychologically perceived fears and desires) and Mr. Sachs gives us hope that we are moving beyond consumption and materialism as a primary force to one that has more personal meaning for each of us, a
Missy Reid
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an impressive book. The author repackages many best practices into a case for using storytelling as an ethical and effective tool for marketing. I was relieved to find alignment in this book with many of my tried-and-true beliefs, and I was especially happy that it helped me connect the dots in relevant ways. Basically, it gave me a new perspective while providing a historical timeline to prove the power of myths. And I must say, I'm a believer. Case studies and tools for mapping a cours ...more
Simon Blair
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonah Sachs sets out to to show how, in an age that takes a skeptical view of mythological tales, this essential mode of story telling has been co-opted by multinational corporations to sell products and stoke desire for often-unnecessary commercial nonsense. Fast food companies, shoe brands and more are leveraging your ability to suspend disbelief and suggesting the heroic cure for a sense of emptiness is to buy... everything.

This makes for unhappy people and on a larger scale this situation i
Kara Davison
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Winning the Story Wars" is a fascinating read on a new way to think about how to more effectively communicate with your audience and, as a result, more successfully drive your brand. It's one of those books that proposes an idea that seems to make so much sense (i.e. telling a brand story - and being truly authentic to your brand - will empower your user and drive sales) that it makes you wonder how marketers and advertisers have missed the mark for so many years by focusing on gimmicks and, as ...more
Dunrie
Sachs' message is that good storytelling matters again, after a brief hiatus during the "broadcast era".

We key into stories about characters. Archetypes are useful.
Stories, conflict, and character are essential to today's marketing.
The moral of the story and the values it embodies are what we seek in stories.

Sachs' instructions are to not market the brand as the hero--today's hero is the user or target market. The brand becomes a catalyst or mentor to foster the hero's journey.

Instructions to m
Julie
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, a book comes along and vaults you into a new perspective. This is such a book. I've long been a fan of storytelling and had begun using it in my work just a little bit. No more! Now I have both the inspiration and the tools to be far more intentional about it. Author Jonah Sachs is a perfect guide (one might even say mentor) in this territory, having lived and breathed this approach for his entire successful career as a public-interest communicator / marketer. Full of vivi ...more
Mars Dorian
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super-interesting book about the power of the story and how to leverage it to influence people.

It's geared towards marketers who want to succeed today, but I find it useful to anyone who wants to convince (and inspire) others.

Jonah uses a lot of examples in classic storytelling, as well as real-life examples that (partly) excel at stories like Nike and Disney, and brands that fail, e.g. British Petroleum (BP).

You will learn especially...

how to turn people into fans and customers
how to make your
AnswerConnect Onl...: Brands and the stories they tell 1 6 Nov 16, 2015 02:01PM
Hero's Journey Entrepreneurship :) 1 5 Oct 20, 2012 01:17PM
  • Story Proof: The Science Behind the Startling Power of Story
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • StoryBranding: Creating Stand-Out Brands Through The Power of Story
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • A Creator's Guide to Transmedia Storytelling: How to Captivate and Engage Audiences Across Multiple Platforms
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
Jonah Sachs is an author, speaker and viral marketing trailblazer whose work helped spur the 21st century values revolution. Sachs’ pioneering new approaches to digital media were critical in bringing the ideals of social change—such as equity, empowerment, responsibility, transparency, and advocacy—to the forefront of business and popular culture.
“Using Maslow’s insights, you can define higher-level values appropriate to your message, brand, and audience. Then, using what we learn from Joseph Campbell, you can turn those values into a resonant moral of the story and create a story structure that will appeal to the heroic potential in your audiences. These models show us a clear alternative to the dark, limited view of human nature inspired by Freud and brought to the marketplace by men like Edward Bernays.” 4 likes
“vanity sets in when you love what you’re selling so much that you assume everyone else will too. You start to believe your idea will sell itself if you can just reach out and tell people about it. You’re wrong.” 3 likes