Start by marking “Seven of Nine” as Want to Read:
Seven of Nine

Seven of Nine

(Star Trek: Voyager #16)

Once she was Annika Hansen, an innocent child assimilated by the fearsome, all-conquering Borg. Now she is Seven of Nine, a unique mixture of human
biology and Borg technology. Cut off from the collective that has been her only reality for most of her existence, and forced to join the crew of the "Starship Voyager" , she must come to grips with her surprising new
Mass Market Paperback, 233 pages
Published September 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Seven of Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven of Nine

Start your review of Seven of Nine
Charles
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The main plot device of this book is based on what really happens to the distinctive features of a society when it is assimilated into the Borg collective. As the “Next Generation” episode “Best of Both Worlds” demonstrated, the memories of an assimilated creature are not lost when they become a Borg drone. Therefore, the terror, frustration and hatred that one experiences when being assimilated would become part of the Borg collective consciousness. Clearly, that does not affect the behavior ...more
Joshua Palmatier
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Another good Voyager book from Christie Golden. Again, it could have been an actual episode on the TV series.

The basic premise is that Seven of Nine begins seeing ravens again, with corresponding hallucinations. But in these hallucinations, she's in the body/mind of someone else. As they progress, she realizes she's experiencing the lives of multiple people, and the Doctor can't find an explanation for why it's happening. Meanwhile, Voyager is passing through a section of the Delta Quadrant
Sharon
Seven of Nine had FINALLY joined the Star Trek Voyager Lit-Verse! Tom and B'Elanna are together. I mention that in my reviews not because I'm a shipper but to use it as a way to place it within the TV series. This story would take place sometime after early Season 4.

Christie Golden is one of the better Star Trek writers and does a great job with this story. It is not however Seven of Nine's 'story'. It does not tell the story of little Annika Hansen's journey to the Collective and back again.
Renee
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, another Christie Golden's finest. Even if you're not a Seven of Nine fan, the book was still an excellent story. Golden proved once again with this book that she is the quintessential Voyager author.
Elizabeth Perez
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This starts out as Voyager still just trying to get home and they have come to a region of space that is a bit harder to get threw then run into refugees that they decide to help.

This book is centered around Seven and a few aliens, unfortunately there were only nominal mentions of the rest of the crew. One thing that did surprise me was how much I was laughing, here is one quote I think is pretty good.

""An unkindness of Ravens. Much the way we discuss a pack of wolves, a flock of sheep, a gaggle
Craig
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Golden really understands Voyager and does a great job with their characters and story. This was her first stab at Seven of Nine to my understanding and she does a great job with a complex character such as her. The plot seemed a little convoluted at times but seemed to make sense in the end although I still had questions. I feel this book was just a little too much like the episode that they reference where Seven displays different personalities (at least I think they reference it) otherwise it ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
For a book written in the span of a couple months, it manages to be (1) an original use of Seven of Nine, (2) a novel with a solid core story of revenge and guilt, and (3) a "Voyager" novel that perfectly captures the cast of characters as they existed in season four. Considering how (with a few exceptions) most of the pre-finale DS9 novels consistently missed their targets, this is quite the exemplar in how to create a "Star Trek" missing adventure that works on all levels.
Melony
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-voyager
I liked the perspective from Seven's thought processes, both when she's "in" her own mind and "out" of it. The nursery rhyme aspect was a bit obvious, but since it was a memory from her childhood before she was Borg, I guess it's childishness, including the belated child like realization of it's meaning, is understandable. All in all, not my favorite Star Trek Voyager book, but I still liked it. 4 stars!
Nabil Hussain
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original and Engrossing Story.

This book was well written and original in its storyline. Seven of Nine is an interesting character as a former Borg. The story had drama and action in good measure. The plot was developed smoothly and played out interestingly. A great story of Star Trek Voyager's collection.
Gabriel Mero
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The storyline was engaging and the characterizations were spot-on. Fans of Seven of Nine will love this book.
Erik
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Like you would expect based on the title, this book is all about Seven of Nine, taking place sometime in season 4 when she was still relatively new to the crew. The writing for the characters is as honest and accurate as all of Christie Golden's Voyager books and entertaining to read. The plot is similar to a later season 5 episode and Seven begins seeing ravens and having memory lapses where she takes on the personality of people she helped assimilate as a Borg. It's a strong story that focuses ...more
Jimyanni
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Not a bad read, although it has a dreadfully bland and uninteresting title; yes, Seven of Nine is a major character (arguably, THE major character) in the book, but naming it "Seven of Nine" shows an amazing lack of creative spark. Much better potential titles would have been "Sing A Song of Sixpence" or "Quoth the Raven", (or even just "Song of Sixpence"). Or "Payback". ("Vengeance" having already been used for a Star Trek book, albeit a DS9 one.) If I can toss out all of these suggestions off ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seven of Nine appears to take place during the fifth season of the show, and Seven of Nine has been onboard for about one year. Finally, a book starring the most popular character on Star Trek: Voyager.

What I really liked about this book was how it tied into one of the episodes of the television series where Seven saw a raven. Christie Golden does an excellent job portraying the crew of Voyager. The storyline she has come up with is intriguing and has a heck of an ending that I didn't see
Liz
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one; watch "Infinite Regress" instead
Did not finish. I stopped reading as soon as I realized the plot was "Infinite Regress," one of my personal favorite episodes. Golden might have written this book first, and if so then I appreciate she at least came up with an amazing idea. But "Infinite Regress" executed it far better.

Also really not a fan of Lyssa Campbell. I always found that "lower decks" character very bland and needless, when there were canon recurring shipmates that needed development and far more interesting
Joe Pranaitis
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this was a good look into the mind of Seven of Nine and the fact that little Annaika Hanson is still within her even though she dosn't let anyone know it. It also remindes me of the series episode the Raven where Seven was drawn back to her lost ship. Needless to say it was an enjoyible read.
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since I'm a huge fan of Star Trek I thought I'd give the books a try so I started with this one. I thought it was very good- it could have easily been an episode on the show. I'm a fan of Seven so I loved seeing her development as a human. This was a perfect NYE read for me!
Angela
This story concentrates on Seven of Nine. Voyager comes across a group of refugees that help them cut through red tape. Seven starts to hallucinate for no reason. This is a fun enough story that really looks at the impact being a borg had on 7 and the people she assimilated. A good read.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A rather short novel that doesn't waste its time with the sorytelling. Packed with interesting concepts.
Audrey
Read this during my high school obsession with Star Trek. I absolutely cannot remember a thing about it, whether good or bad, hence, no rating.
Eileen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nobledark
I remember when this came out and being really excited for the story of Seven of Nine's life. That's not what it was, unfortunately. :(
Abby Nim
One of my favorites. Finally Seven has a book to herself.
Gemma
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved seven, and this book remains one of my all time favourites that i cant help but continue re-reading. Love the extra insight into seven/annika
John
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
2000 grade B+

Voyager Trek
Lisa
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I can't say I've ever been fond of Seven as a character and this didn't change that. Not the best from this author in this universe, which is disappointing and surprising as I usually love her work.
John
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent ST book. Christie Golden is one of the finest ST Novelists out there.
Allen Bair
Angela Cross
Nov 14, 2007
Venetia
Dec 30, 2008

• Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
  • The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)
  • Last Haven - Tödliche Geheimnisse
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • The Breath of the Sun
  • Collateral Damage
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • The Symposium
  • The Tower Room
  • An Apology for Idlers
  • Endgame
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • Live by Night (Coughlin, #2)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Murdered Sun
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)