Start by marking “20th Century Poetry and Poetics” as Want to Read:
20th Century Poetry and Poetics

20th Century Poetry and Poetics

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
20th Century Poetry and Poetics is considered the most important teaching anthology published in Canada for poetry courses at the college and university market. The greatly anticipated fourth edition of the anthology was published in the Spring of 1996 and the number of poets included was expanded by more than fifty per cent. The twenty-five poets new to this edition - - t ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by OUP Canada (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about 20th Century Poetry and Poetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20th Century Poetry and Poetics

Dan
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
For me, this book is different from other anthologies of modern poetry in two ways. First, in addition to the usual suspects (T.S. Eliot, William Butler Yeats, Robert Frost, Wallace Stevens, William Carlos Williams, Charles Olson, Dylan Thomas, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti), it includes work by Canadian poets like A.M. Klein, Earle Birney, Alfred Purdy, Margaret Avison, Margaret Atwood and BP Nichol. Second, at the end of the book are essays in which the poets discuss their “poetics”: t ...more
Taylor
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best anthology I've ever encountered. Many of my favourite poets were found through reading this cover to cover multiple times.
Sally Ito
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I use this as an anthology and resource for my creative writing (poetry) classes and find reading it rewarding each time I teach the class. There's something about the wide selection and the section on poetics in the back that's like an inspiring pottage of poetic sustenance. Read Levertov's poetry last night, and her piece on 'organic form,' and felt engaged and moved by what she had written. Same goes for Frost, as well.
uh8myzen
One of my absolute favorite anthologies. Not only does have the usual giants, but also some of my favorite Canadian poets and some excellent criticism and poetics at the end. Some of those essays are still my favorites, even after the twenty years since I first read them.

This is an excellent introduction to the world of 20th Century poetry and poetics. It is not only complete, but precise.
Carolyn
A college-taught anthology with Leonard Cohen, concrete poetry, and a cover like this?:

Reaction =

(view spoiler)
Michelle
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best.... never never fails to pick me up
Eileen
Contains a pretty good variety of poets with great Canadian content. Also introduced me to bpNichol's Continental Trance, so it's a keeper.
Kate
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this anthology. The selections that are included are very good and reflect the 20th century well. It's a good anthology.
Rudolfo
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have the 2nd edition, published in 1973 and a few others. There are now 5 versions/editions and they're all different. Each later edition retains some of the previous one and I believe leaves some out.
Rudolfo