Start by marking “The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern” as Want to Read:
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern

The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  9,352 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
An indispensable handbook to the wonderful world of Anne McCaffrey and her dragons. Lavishly illustrated, officially sanctioned, THE DRAGONLOVER'S GUIDE TO PERN brings to light the fantastic facts behind the bestselling stories. No Pern pilgrim will want to be without it.
Published November 5th 1989 by Del Rey Books (first published 1989)

Jessica
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction, own
I got this for Christmas at the height of my Pern obsession, so . . . maybe 1992? 1993? I pored over every page. I memorized the banners of every hold. If you love Pern, you must have this!
Emilou
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some interesting things in this guide, but most of the information can be found in the books. Much of it wasn't new or even needed. There would be excess of information about some things and not enough detail for others. I also disliked how they would have pictures of buildings or areas, and nothing would be labeled. I wasn't sure what I was looking at. It was poorly put together. I wished there were more pictures since Pern is such an interesting place.

Basically, this book seemed lik
Michael Brown
A bit out of date but a nice data book for the early Pern stories with lots of additional background and info not easily noted in the books themselves as you read them.
Alice
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a must have if you want to make sense of most of McAffrey's world, but even then it either includes information that has either since been retconned or is contradictory. A lot of it is unorganised, too: information on some of the flora, for example, is under the Fort Hold's recipe for klah, which also includes information on Bakercraft. It's a good reference book on the whole, though.
Ian Banks
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the Pern series when I was a kid (still do, in fact) and it was one one of my go-to feel-good series for many years. This slim volume bought back many happy memories of the books (only reread a couple of years ago) as well as filling in some gaps I never knew existed.

Before I go much further, I should point out that I have a ridiculous love for source books such as this: if done well, they illuminate and enhance the source material, rather than just rehash tired bios and stories. I have

Brendan
I mostly grabbed this for the possibility of pictures, and there weren't enough of those for it to get a higher rating than it did. I am just now re-reading the Pern series and what I read in this book did not seem much more informative than information I had gained from the novels themselves. Maybe a few statistics here and there, but I found that rather boring. I would rather just discover Pern through the narrative.

Of course, I might not be a big enough fan to truly appreciate this volume.
Gail Morris
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad reference book for those who have read the books by Anne McCaffrey about the planet Pern; but if you read the Atlas of Pern then some things are a bit different between the two books... now if they ever make a movie series from the books I'm sure that much will change depending on the budget and none will look the way the reader imagined it.
I know that I messed up with the location of Southern Weyr and Southern Hold, I had them opposite of each other than the maps showed... but it stil
Michael
For some reason, I got this book as a kid despite not having actually read any of the Pern books. But I loved it at the time even though there were a lot of things which didn't make much sense due to my general lack of context for the series as a whole. So, I'm probably not the best judge for this book's quality as a companion to the Pern series, but I seem to recall enjoying the information provided here and the included stories as a stand-alone experience at the time. This is something I'll ha ...more
Kelsey
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A great book if you are really into the Pern novels, as it really explains many of the traditions and the history that is only referred to in them. It has songs, recipes, a guide to the flora and fauna, and other interesting compliments to the novels. If you aren't really in to the series, its probably boring, but if you are obsessed, its nice to have everything in one place.
Erin
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
I have owned a copy of this book for years and years. It tends to live in my kitchen cookbook cupboard because I have made Klah over the years and also Bubbly Pies. I cannot tell you how many people have wowed over the Bubbly Pies.

I love love love this book.

I cannot believe I hadn't added it to my virtual library previously.
Debbie
I should have checked and seen I had the 2nd revised edition and waited to read it after I had read the additional books it covered. I would have enjoyed it more. As it is, I've gotten a whole big bunch of spoilers in my mind. By the time I get to the books, I hope I've forgotten a lot of it ... which is likely.
Jenae
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book earned its fifth star mainly because of the KNITTING PATTERNS! Well, not really patterns per se, but photos and descriptions of the colors and motifs used by various Holds in knitted garments. That's enough for me to go on! The recipes are also a treat for fans of McCaffrey's work.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's an interesting concept to me, that fans would write up details about their favorite imaginary world. Perhaps I should revisit the updated version but, somehow, this falls into the category of the annotated Sherlock Holmes. It's fiction - how can you add more "facts?"
Kate
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, adult, sci-fi
Pretty much an essential reference book for any Pern fan, particularly given the length of the series nowadays! Quite scientific in part, which I appreciated, and drawings of all the native Pern flora and fauna were included!
Faye
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of Pern, and especially the world-building and scientific particulars of the series, this book is basically indispensable.

(I'm completely guessing on the date I read this.)
Hannah K
Tried piemers pie!!! Amazing!!!
Mathis
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never go anywhere with out it!!!
Shawna Clawson
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any reader of the Pern books!
Murrrmaiyd
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually mine is the hardback version, but nobody has that one listed...
Sheri
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have in my opinion. I reference thus book while reading to get a better understanding of what's going on.
LeeAnn
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-have for the lovers of Pern!
Aaron DeMott
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, all
Excellent Resource on all things Pern. It does need to be updated now, since 5 or 6 Pern books have been released after this was printed.
Lindsay
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
It took me forever and a day to secure a copy of this. It was soo worth the wait!
Iavasul
Good for the Dragondex and some of the other tidbits of information.

Part of the ending and other specific hold details were made up and don't follow the actual book.
Travis Kerr
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
while most of the information can be obtained from reading the books themselves, I have to admit, the recipes she slipped in really clinched it for me. I've used all of them.
Arlith
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is made to be a suppliment to the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. Its a nice book to dig a little deeper into the world, but not necessary to enjoy the series.
Tula or KathyPotter Fitzgerald
Terrific companion to the Pern novels.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
Nye, Jody Lynn
beautiful pictures and art work relating to the theories and ideals of pern
Emi G
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pern
A good refrence book for those who do costumes and such.
Adrian Phoenix
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This adds so much information to the Dragonlover's knowledge! The in-depth explanation of pretty much everything regarding Pern was so valuable to me.
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
Jody Lynn Nye lists her main career activity as ‘spoiling cats.’ When not engaged upon this worthy occupation, she writes fantasy and science fiction books and short stories.

Before breaking away from gainful employment to write full time, Jody worked as a file clerk, book-keeper at a small publishing house, freelance journalist and photographer, accounting assistant and costume maker.

For four year
More about Jody Lynn Nye...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)