Start by marking “Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  822 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Lauren Allen's life is the pits. Bobby Taylor's just jilted her. Her ninth-grade teachers are demerit-crazy. And she has to share her bedroom with messy younger sister who wants to be a stand-up comic, while her older sister seems to get everything she wants. Between her parents, her two sisters, and school, Lauren feels she's got no rights at all.

But then Lauren takes a c
Published February 15th 1980 by Dell (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?

Remember the make-out egg timer?!
Kate
Nov 20, 2009 added it
Shelves: kidlit-ya
Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice? held up to rereading much better than the other Danziger books I've revisited of late. It deals with many of the same themes as The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, but more subtly and more effectively. The characters (teachers, parents, cool kids, and rebels) are more complex and believable and, perhaps as a consequence, the family and school dynamics rang truer to me.

I also note that this is one of the few children's/YA books I've come across that portrays lawyers
Tara Calaby
Although still very dated, Can You Sue Your Parents For Malpractice? stands up to the test of time a little better than The Cat Ate My Gymsuit does. It was written a little later but, more to the point, it also delves a little deeper into the psychological effects of living with parents caught in an abusive parody of Traditional Marital Roles. That said, there's still a level of acceptance of terrible behaviours that will feel uncomfortable to modern readers.

It's a pity, really, because Danzige
AE
Besides a hysterical title, it's a really good example of the kind of Y/A fiction around when I was a teen. It wasn't in a hurry to grow up but it wasn't prude either.
Caitlin
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pub-lib
This book is incredibly short and in the present day, it feels underdeveloped because of it. That being said, I was surprised by how deep this book goes. It's a book that was written in the 1970's that touches on romantic boundaries, the way judgement and teasing can effect decision making, conflict between parents, women working outside the home, a woman moving in with her boyfriend and the judgement that might bring, divorce, and schools violating/stepping on students' rights.

Of course, it's o
Mia Amhal
The interesting novel "Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice" written by the famous author Paula Danziger talks about a 14-year-old girl named Lauren and her teenage life. Lauren has 2 sisters, Mellisa who is 19, and Linda who is 10. Everybody knows that it is not fun when you have no rights in your household. Especially Lauren she has to share her room with her annoying little sister, she doesn't get enough allowance, she wasn't allowed to get her ears done, her parents decide at what time s ...more
Angel Cortes
the book is basically bout this girl named lauren. she and her two sisters live in their house with their mom and their dad. lauren devoloped early and so she doesnt get a lot of dates. she is in the ninth grade and there is this 8th grade boy who likes her. but he likes law and so does she. and so they both take law together. and they suddenly become partners in a project together. and so he likes her obviously and she does but doesnt want to like him because he is in the ninth grade. but her f ...more
Tiago
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My book Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice? Written by Paula Danziger. The main character of this book is Paula she is 14 years old. She has 2 sisters named Linda she is 10 years old and Melissa she is older. Paula think Linda is annoying because she want to by a stand-up comic.

Melissa she don`t have a curfew and no hand-me-downs. The father likes Melissa more than others sisters. Paula is taking a class called law for children and young people and she`s excited for the class. I like this
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"It's absolutely disgusting being fourteen. You've got no rights whatsoever. Your parents get to make all the decisions: Who gets the single bedroom. How much allowance is enough. What time you must come in. Who is a proper friend. What your report card is supposed to look like. And what your parents don't tell you to do, the school does. None of this seems fair to Lauren Allen, but then she finds a way to fight back. She can even sue her parents for malpractice...can't she?" (From Amazon
Maggie
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Just 'cause I was looking for something short, I dug this out of my "i read this as a teen" shelf. It's so wonderfully dated. I think it was written in the 70s, or possibly the early 80s, and it shows, but in a good way. Danziger's books often deal with what were the relevant issues for teens in that era, ie the idea of a mother daring to start working again, divorce, and the use of the title "Ms.". Her books for teens were always awesome and I enjoyed them when I was young. They are still fun t ...more
Invalidexcuses
CAN YOU SUE YOUR PARENTS FOR MALPRACTICE?
The author,Paula Danziger,has a good understanding of kids and teenagers.This book was written in the last year of her teaching.
Lauren,who is a ninth grade girl has a dream of becoming a lawyer to sue her parents for malpractice due to her wierd mom and crazy and strict dad but gets distracted by some teenage things just like in any teenage life.After all,maybe sueing her parents for malpractice isn't the most important thing.

I gave this book 3 stars,alm
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paula Danziger
The Putnam & Grosset Group
1979
Paula Danziger was one of my favorite authors in middle school, so when I saw this novel recently I knew I had to read it. It turns out, that I had read it previously, each chapter spurring remembrances in my brain. This is a light story about a teenage girl dealing with family drama, boys, and peer pressure, typical teenage fare.
4 stars.
Brittany
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's books like these that are a good example of why "children's lit" used to have a bad name. The story itself was ok, but the writing was not very good. These days, you've got writers like J.K. Rowling or Shannon Hale that can write a story for children but the writing is still phenomenal. This was just wasn't good. The title was the thing that grabbed me, and it was the most clever thing about the book. It wasn't awful, but it just wasn't good.
Gospodyina
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Rescued from the book warehouse. I definitely read this as a kid, but all I remembered was the title and the cover. Sadly, as I read it, the only things that felt familiar were the little sister's terrible, terrible jokes. I certainly didn't notice the parents and their issues at all when I read this 30-some years ago.
Kate
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hated how much of an arrogant unloving and sexist chauvinist the dad was. It almost bordered on misogyny. I wanted to deck him. I mean I know it was uncommon for unmarried couples to move in together in the late 70's but it wasn't exactly unheard of or that scandalous either. Times really have changed. Now it's seen as bizarre to marry someone you haven't first lived with.
Primadonna
May 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers and adults who want to remember the good ol' days.
Shelves: teenlit-ya
I really like the storytelling, it's so fun and teenager-ish. It's about a middle-kid stuck between a goofy younger sister and mature, more beautiful older sister. Eventually she starts to think about what she really wants and needs.

Truly enlightening and fun for me to read. This book helped me in my darkest teenage years.
Erica Ross
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a cute romantic book about social issues this is your read.. WoW
I mean really, the title is a bit misleading and I eleive tht I borrowed that book at the library because I was mad at my mother but I know I ended up happier because of this.. there is everything here but all in all it's a pretty regular story that could happen to anyone... just cute really.
Sylvia
May 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Confused about her life at home and at school, fourteen-year-old Lauren learns the importance of being her own person. I was curious when I saw the title, and like it instantly when I finally read it. A very good book about adolescence.
Icka
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteens
A book I picked up in a walmart on my way to Beaver Lake with my parents when I was like ten or twelve. (I had to ask what malpractice meant..)I remember it being funny really funny! Oh the egg timer!
Martina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a cute coming-of-age story about a girl who is upset about how strict her parents are. I would recomment it. I think most girls would like it and be able to relate to the main character.
Mimi
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure I read this as a kid, but boy is it dated now! I literally picked it up because I had nothing to do or read (waiting on new books to arrive). It was a quick read, reminded me of old times.
Erin Shaw
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally (still) love this book!
Jilien J.
Mar 18, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I would like to read this book because I am close to the age of the characters this book is about and it just sounds interesting. My mom said a girl she new really liked it.
Kirsty
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read this book so many times when I was younger. I loved Paula Danziger's writing style, and this book was very funny.
Jeevan
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i reely liked this book. this author made this book reely interested by givin da main character a lot of problems
Kricket
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another re-read from my middle school days. paula danziger books are so adorable, especially when they take place in the late 70s.
Christa
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read it when I was 11 or 12, can't remember. I love Paula's books!
Mollie
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books-2014
Not great and I don't think many people would enjoy it
Phyllis
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweeners
Yup! This book was rockin' back in the day.
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • It's OK If You Don't Love Me
  • My Mother Got Married (and other disasters)
  • How David Met Sarah
  • Secrets of the Shopping Mall
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
  • [Citation Needed]: The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
  • Sooner or Later
Born in Washington, D.C. and raised in New York, Paula Danziger knew since the second grade that she wanted to be a writer. Throughout her career, she wrote a collection of children's stories, including The Cat Ate my Gymsuit, The Divorce Express and, more recently, the Amber Brown series.
Danziger loved to travel and meet young kids all over the world. She was embraced by her audience for her abil
More about Paula Danziger...