Start by marking “Death Note Box Set” as Want to Read:
Death Note Box Set

Death Note Box Set

(Death Note #1-13)

When Light Yagami finds a notebook giving him power over death, will he use it for good—or evil?

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note , a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the
Published October 7th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Death Note Box Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note Box Set

Start your review of Death Note Box Set
Petrik
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
Death Note is a masterwork that eventually will become a classic in the manga/anime industry, it already did in my opinion.

This is my first ever manga review on Goodreads and probably will be my last unless a special edition like this comes out again in the future. I know it’s stated in my profile that I will not review any manga I’ve read because of the sheer amount of volumes manga usually has and the ridiculous amount of manga I’ve read (including reread, it has reached at least 2000 volumes)
TS Chan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Ingenious. Masterpiece.

So says one who has just been exposed to manga for the very first time through this ever-popular title; one so famous that I've heard of it long before this mammoth 2,400-page all-in-edition was ever released.

As this is my first-ever manga, I can't draw upon experience in this genre to provide a meaningful benchmark. However, manga or novel, one reads for the storytelling and its characters. In both aspects, Death Note excels beyond any shadow of a doubt. Kira,
Cillian

Of course it's 5 stars; how else could I rate this masterpiece.
Leona  Petrovic
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leona by: TheRavenpuffWhovian
Shelves: fantasy
Real Rating: 4.5 stars

HOLY SHINIGAMI!!! THIS WAS SO BLOODY INTENSE AND SO ADDICTING. It was full to the brim with twists and turns, leaving me shook and speechless at many times. I fangirled so much over this.

(view spoiler)
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Sep 01, 2017 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, manga
Death Note is a fantastic 5/5 series, but I want to make some details about this specific edition clear to potential buyers.

THIS IS NOT A BOXSET. It is a single paperback book that has all 2400 pages of the manga, including "a never before printed in English epilogue". It's obviously really thick (and really heavy), but it is also actually quite short (in terms of height; Not page length). It is the shortest book out of my entire manga and graphic novel collection. Even my authentic Japanese imp
John Egbert
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, I like Death Note, but I hated the second half. It could have been 3.5, or even four, but just for the existence of Near....*seethes*
Emma☀️
A (Near) perfect series! Cannot recommend this enough!

Rating this series as a whole because the individual ratings of each volume skews my overall Goodreads rating.
Aaron
Shakespearean. Death Note the anime stands out as perhaps the single best anime adaptation of manga, which itself is perhaps the best manga of all time.

On the surface Death Note is a fairly straightforward story of cat and mouse, with the best detectives in the world trying to catch the mysterious Kira ("killer"), the alter ego of high school student Light Yagumi. Yagami gains the mysterious death note by accident (dropped in the human world by a shinigami - literally Death God - for amusement)
Steve Giordano
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Instead of reviewing all the individual separately, I figured it was easier to write one big review on all the volumes of the series.

What can I say about Death Note, the story of Light Yagami and his quest to change the world "for the better" through the use of the Death Note, a powerful, mystical object that allows him to kill anyone by writing down their name? I can start by saying that it absolutely floored me like no other story has done in a long while.

Death Note, a twelve-volume series wri
Noemi
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Noemi by: Shannon
Addictive read. Does not pass the Bechdel Test. Like, at all. But it was still really fun to read, even I kept feeling like "why isn't anyone talking about identity and privilege intersectionality?"

Also, I found some of the idiosyncratic mannerisms (sudden obsession with sweets, penchant for chocolate bars, obliviousness to a boyfriend's indifference) a little distracting, although I found Matsuda pretty endearing. I would totally watch a buddy cop movie with Matsuda and Aizawa.
Zita
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant detective story with a really original plot. All the characters, dialogues and deductions are fantastic with perfect illustration.
The twists and dynamics are so interesting that you just don't want to put it down - which can be strange after holding 2400 pages for hours :)
From Christian perspective Light's character reminds me the exact metaphor of the Devil/accuser/Lucifer(light-bearer). He wants to play God and pass judgement on people by himself. For me the main message of the who
Taylor Ramirez
TheRavenpuffWhovian
I think I MIGHT have found my favorite book!

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who can handle some sexual content (no nudity), minor swearing, and intense scenes.

I wish I could write a review about how AMAZING this book was, but I SUCK at writing reviews... But seriously, this is definitely the best book I'm going to read this year, and possibly the best book I've ever read. Also, Light's an a-hole.
Michaela
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: No major spoilers

Death Note is an intelligent and meticulously illustrated rollercoaster ride. With hardly a dull moment, it will keep you turning pages hours after you thought you would be doing something else. The artwork is superb, and while the author of the story, Ohba Tsugumi, is sometimes thought to be a bit too wordy, the story is complex enough to need all those words, even if you are in a bit of a hurry to turn the next page and find out what will happen. Suspenseful is the best
Chris Merritt
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not everyone is a fan of manga. Some people can't get past the idea of comics being used to tell a serious story, other people just don't like the style of art in manga with over-exagerrated expressions, large eyes, etc. However, the unique nature of this one should be worth looking into. In the Shinigami (Death God) realm, the Shinigami have forgotten their purpose and spend their time gambling away years of their lives. However, each has a Death Note, and by writing the name of a human into it ...more
David Verghese
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am yet to read any manga as amazing as this one... having said that, I don't read all that much either
Natalie
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Natalie by: Shounen Jump
I absolutely LOVE Death Note. The way the story flows and the character development is phenomenal. Why is it good? Because everything in this series is done perfectly. The main characters are perfect. The story is perfect. The character designs are perfect. The tension and drama is perfect. Even the side characters are perfect. This manga is just too awesome and wonderful to love.

The story is basically a cat and mouse chase between the criminal killer Kira, and the best detective in the world L.
Empress X
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I finished this on May 2018 6:28

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER IT IS SO AMAZING AND NEAR IS BLEH!
I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK SO MUCH TO ANYONE!
ABOUT THE BOOK (YES I’M WRITING THIS ALL CAPS :) )
THIS BOOK IS TRULY AMAZING ABOUT A BOY CALLED LIGHT YAGAMI (MY BF) DISCOVERS THIS NOTE BOOK THAT CAN KILL PEOPLE WHEN YOU WRITE THEIR NAME AND THINK OF THEIR FACE WHILE WRITING IT, AND ITS A SHINIGAMI’S NOTE BOOK SO THE SHINIGAMI WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEN YOU PICK IT UP! LIGHT YAGAMI IS REALLY SMART BUT OF COURSE SOME PE
Liesbeth
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luna Bookish
Overall I thought this was a very unique and interesting series. The artwork was fantastic and I felt that it was the perfect match to the story line. For the size of this I felt that I read it fairly quickly, that was mainly because a lot of stuff happened for the first. 60-70% of this book. I felt like the thought process and mental games that were played in here were very well done. The main reason why I did not give this series more stars is because once a particular character died the quali ...more
Nate Meadows
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome. I can't say enough about the story. Light, Ryuk and L are great characters. My only negatives are that 3/4 of the way through I felt the story went a little beyond it's natural conclusion. I never connected with Near and Mello as much as L. The female characters are stereotyped and easily manipulated by Kira, but then again most of humanity is so I guess that's fair. I highly recommend.
Raven
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first 3 volumes of this book and therefore decided to purchase the all in one addition so I could enjoy the rest of it but it just wasn’t as good and the story became too drawn out and fell flat so I ended up just wishing for this book to be over.
The storyline itself was well thought out and it had some good twists and themes and the artwork was pretty good too. But sadly after a few of the events that happened I began to find that it wasn’t as entertaining anymore and it took a rou
Derek
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edric Unsane
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, manga
This manga was great! I really enjoyed the story, characters, and plot as it all came together. It was like reading a chess game. I highly recommend Death Note, it is one of the greats in the manga category.
kenzie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
one of my favorite stories of all time
Aleksandra
How do you even read that? 2400 pages. It’s so heavy, my hands are dying after a minute of holding this manga.
Blue Coutell
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
dear god what has carson done to me
Hannah Olson
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba is a masterpiece of a book, containing amazing illustrations and plot. It is a amazing book with intense action in a unique way instead of violence we get mind games, It builds its story by character development and suspense. It also touches on philosophical views and different views of justice from both sides point of view, and darker topics. It is written as if you are an observer and their is no defined good or evil. The main character is Light Yagami, a high school ...more
Scott Saunders
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Background and edition choice:

I recieved the first black edition volume for Christmas on a whim from my father. He assumed that because I went to comic con, I must therefore have developed an apetite for manga whilst I was there. Truth is, this is the only manga I've read start to finish. I was hesistant to read it at first. I can be a real asshole when it comes to recommendations because I'm determined that if there's a book worth reading, I'll find it myself. I doubt I'd have given Death Note
oxana
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of supernatural crime and manga
Shelves: manga, fiction, own
The box:
The box is beautiful. Nice colors, effects, and good design. It has all the 12 volumes of manga, plus the "How to read" -book and a little book with all the Death Note rules in it (in two languages like in the manga itself).

The series:
When I began to read Death Note, I was thrilled. The plot and idea pulled me in, it was interesting, and I just loved it. The (occasional) slow pace wasn't that bad then.

At some point, though, the pace of the story started to bug me a little. With both our
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
L 2 23 Aug 17, 2012 05:19AM

• Fullmetal Alchemist Box Set
  • Death Note: L, Change the WorLd
  • Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
  • Naruto Box Set 1: Volumes 1-27
  • Ouran High School Host Club Box Set
  • Naruto Box Set 2: Volumes 28-48
  • Claymore Complete Box Set: Volumes 1-27 with Premium: Volumes 1-27 with Premium
  • Tokyo Ghoul Complete Box Set: Includes vols. 1-14 with premium
  • Naruto Box Set 3: Volumes 49-72
  • A Silent Voice Complete Series Box Set (Koe no Katachi, #1-7)
  • All You Need Is Kill
  • Fruits Basket: The Complete Collection
  • 20th Century Boys Complete Manga Collection Set
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • Dragon Ball Box Set
  • Bleach Box Set 2: Volumes 22-48 with Premium
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 01 (20th Century Boys, #1)
  • Vampire Knight Box Set: Volumes 1-10
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe

Death Note (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)

News & Interviews