Start by marking “Death Note Box Set” as Want to Read:
Death Note Box Set

Death Note Box Set

(Death Note #1-13)

When Light Yagami finds a notebook giving him power over death, will he use it for good—or evil?

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note , a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the
Published October 7th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note Box Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note Box Set

Start your review of Death Note Box Set
Petrik
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Death Note is a masterwork that eventually will become a classic in the manga/anime industry; in my opinion, it already did.

This is my first ever manga review on Goodreads, and it probably will be my last unless a special edition like this one comes out again in the future. I know I’ve stated I won’t review manga series I’ve read on Goodreads because of the sheer amount of volumes manga usually has. Plus, the huge am
TS Chan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Ingenious. Masterpiece.

So says one who has just been exposed to manga for the very first time through this ever-popular title; one so famous that I've heard of it long before this mammoth 2,400-page all-in-edition was ever released.

As this is my first-ever manga, I can't draw upon experience in this genre to provide a meaningful benchmark. However, manga or novel, one reads for the storytelling and its characters. In both aspects, Death Note excels beyond any shadow of a doubt. Kira,
Cillian

Of course it's 5 stars; how else could I rate this masterpiece.
RG
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me forever. I feel like it has so many ups and downs. Some stages its amazing and then some stages you just want it to hurry.up and finish.
John Egbert
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, I like Death Note, but I hated the second half. It could have been 3.5, or even four, but just for the existence of Near....*seethes* ...more
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Sep 01, 2017 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, manga
Death Note is a fantastic 5/5 series, but I want to make some details about this specific edition clear to potential buyers.

THIS IS NOT A BOXSET. It is a single paperback book that has all 2400 pages of the manga, including "a never before printed in English epilogue". It's obviously really thick (and really heavy), but it is also actually quite short (in terms of height; Not page length). It is the shortest book out of my entire manga and graphic novel collection. Even my authentic Japanese imp
Aaron
Shakespearean. Death Note the anime stands out as perhaps the single best anime adaptation of manga, which itself is perhaps the best manga of all time.

On the surface Death Note is a fairly straightforward story of cat and mouse, with the best detectives in the world trying to catch the mysterious Kira ("killer"), the alter ego of high school student Light Yagumi. Yagami gains the mysterious death note by accident (dropped in the human world by a shinigami - literally Death God - for amusement)
Timo Hoogstrate
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it takes up a lot more time to read than you might expect of a manga, this is a masterpiece, that will keep you on the edge of your seat, with risk of falling off a few times!
It’s just 2400 pages of cliffhangers. (OK,maybe 2354, the bonus chapter was mweh) I recommend this to anyone who is a human being!
Emma☀️
A (Near) perfect series! Cannot recommend this enough!

Rating this series as a whole because the individual ratings of each volume skews my overall Goodreads rating.
Steve Giordano
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Instead of reviewing all the individual separately, I figured it was easier to write one big review on all the volumes of the series.

What can I say about Death Note, the story of Light Yagami and his quest to change the world "for the better" through the use of the Death Note, a powerful, mystical object that allows him to kill anyone by writing down their name? I can start by saying that it absolutely floored me like no other story has done in a long while.

Death Note, a twelve-volume series wri
Noam
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Noam by: Shannon
Addictive read. Does not pass the Bechdel Test. Like, at all. But it was still really fun to read, even I kept feeling like "why isn't anyone talking about identity and privilege intersectionality?"

Also, I found some of the idiosyncratic mannerisms (sudden obsession with sweets, penchant for chocolate bars, obliviousness to a boyfriend's indifference) a little distracting, although I found Matsuda pretty endearing. I would totally watch a buddy cop movie with Matsuda and Aizawa.
Maja
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this immensely and I wanted to rate it higher but some things bugged me.

First of all, the complete lack of female characters is something I can't ignore. The few females we had were all used as pawns. It was also insinuated that most female characters were 'not as smart' as the male ones. Then, the police forces and/or special-groups were made exclusively of men. Except for the one special task-force where we had one female at least. But only one.

Personally, I think this would have b
Zita
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant detective story with a really original plot. All the characters, dialogues and deductions are fantastic with perfect illustration.
The twists and dynamics are so interesting that you just don't want to put it down - which can be strange after holding 2400 pages for hours :)
From Christian perspective Light's character reminds me the exact metaphor of the Devil/accuser/Lucifer(light-bearer). He wants to play God and pass judgement on people by himself. For me the main message of the who
Taylor Ramirez
Aline
My rating is obviously for the whole series combined. The start and the ending were even better! It dragged on in some parts around the middle, for this I remove one star.

I loved how it explored what is righteous or not. The characters were great and some very unique. Ryuk was one of my favorites and I loved the art work of them all.
No wonder why this series is so popular.
Felix
This was a lot of fun. I feel like Death Note has been so hyped since it was published that it is hard for it to live up to its reputation, but it was satisfying nonetheless. I was worried that such a long serial would end with a damp squib, but it didn't. It dragged a little around the middle, but it gathered a lot of energy on the run up to its conclusion. Its mysteries were surprisingly intellectually involved. This is easy reading, but the whole mystery side of it doesn't lack complexity. It ...more
TheRavenpuffWhovian
I think I MIGHT have found my favorite book!

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who can handle some sexual content (no nudity), minor swearing, and intense scenes.

I wish I could write a review about how AMAZING this book was, but I SUCK at writing reviews... But seriously, this is definitely the best book I'm going to read this year, and possibly the best book I've ever read. Also, Light's an a-hole.
Michaela
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: No major spoilers

Death Note is an intelligent and meticulously illustrated rollercoaster ride. With hardly a dull moment, it will keep you turning pages hours after you thought you would be doing something else. The artwork is superb, and while the author of the story, Ohba Tsugumi, is sometimes thought to be a bit too wordy, the story is complex enough to need all those words, even if you are in a bit of a hurry to turn the next page and find out what will happen. Suspenseful is the best
Emma L.
*** Potential spoilers are present in this review ***

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟 (3/5 stars).

This was my last book of 2020✌🏻 and funnily enough also one of the first books I started in 2020. It´s quite a full circle that I started this in January and finished it in December. Since a while has passed when I first (and initially) started reading this book I don´t really have much to say about it. But what I do remember from reading & my thoughts about it I will put it in a little overview:

- I really loved the
Chris Merritt
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not everyone is a fan of manga. Some people can't get past the idea of comics being used to tell a serious story, other people just don't like the style of art in manga with over-exagerrated expressions, large eyes, etc. However, the unique nature of this one should be worth looking into. In the Shinigami (Death God) realm, the Shinigami have forgotten their purpose and spend their time gambling away years of their lives. However, each has a Death Note, and by writing the name of a human into it ...more
Michael Sorbello
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of the entire series.

Synopsis: Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami, a death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot
Rachel Kathryn Wright
4.5/5

This was an amazing story. The writing was great, and all of the characters were fully developed. The premise of the story was interesting with it being a bit of dark, psychological mind game. Also, the art was amazing and got better as the series continued. The only reason this isn’t a five star read is that I found the second half of the book a bit repetitive, but it was still enjoyable.
Arielle
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read. To be honest, the first half was a lot better than the second half. And I would read the first half over and over, the only reason I'm giving this 4 stars and not 5 is because the second half is not as fun. It feels over done at a point. But still, a worthwhile read. ...more
David Verghese
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am yet to read any manga as amazing as this one... having said that, I don't read all that much either ...more
Natalie
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Natalie by: Shounen Jump
I absolutely LOVE Death Note. The way the story flows and the character development is phenomenal. Why is it good? Because everything in this series is done perfectly. The main characters are perfect. The story is perfect. The character designs are perfect. The tension and drama is perfect. Even the side characters are perfect. This manga is just too awesome and wonderful to love.

The story is basically a cat and mouse chase between the criminal killer Kira, and the best detective in the world L.
Eveline Hecklinger
So, I am giving this 3,5 stars, rounded up to 4. Hear me out. I am not the target audience for this book and I have never read a manga in my entire life. The only reason I picked this up was for a readathon. Once I became used to the different way I had to read it, it went pretty well, but this is not a quick read. Manga or not.
Also, this book is heavy and awkward to hold and ways almost 4 lbs (be prepared for some carpal tunnel hehe).

So, what did I think of the book? I don't even know, to be h
Empress X
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I finished this on May 2018 6:28

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER IT IS SO AMAZING AND NEAR IS BLEH!
I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK SO MUCH TO ANYONE!
ABOUT THE BOOK (YES I’M WRITING THIS ALL CAPS :) )
THIS BOOK IS TRULY AMAZING ABOUT A BOY CALLED LIGHT YAGAMI (MY BF) DISCOVERS THIS NOTE BOOK THAT CAN KILL PEOPLE WHEN YOU WRITE THEIR NAME AND THINK OF THEIR FACE WHILE WRITING IT, AND ITS A SHINIGAMI’S NOTE BOOK SO THE SHINIGAMI WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEN YOU PICK IT UP! LIGHT YAGAMI IS REALLY SMART BUT OF COURSE SOME PE
Liesbeth
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fariha
I watched the anime years ago. I remember liking the lore of Death Note and the cat and mouse chase between Light and L. Was super excited to read the manga. Finally what it feels like reading for an eternity, I am done.

Here’s the explanation for my rating:

5/5 still for lore and everything between Light and L. Actually 10/5 just for L!
2/5 stars for the second half of book when it just started to feel like story is dragging on and on.

Averaging that brings us to 3.5/5

Subtract 1.5 of that for h
Tina
Dec 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Vol 1
First impression. I thought it was rediculose and a joke and not my type of genre at all but then my curiosity won't let me put it down so I guess I'm gon head down the rabbit hole and see where it leads.

Vol 2
This boy's brains is quite a fascinating thing to uncover. So calculative and on point.

Vol 5
This one kinda bore me out a bit. Ok lights and L are hanging now and quite frankly wasting a bunch of time doing nonsense. Bring back the action.

Vol 6-13
Wow that was a wild crazy ride.
At some

• Bleach: Complete Series
  • Naruto Box Set 2: Volumes 28-48
  • Naruto Box Set 3: Volumes 49-72
  • Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
  • A Silent Voice Complete Series Box Set (Koe no Katachi, #1-7)
  • Claymore Complete Box Set: Volumes 1-27 with Premium: Volumes 1-27 with Premium
  • Dragon Ball Z Complete Box Set: Vols. 1-26 with premium
  • Uzumaki
  • Hellsing Manga Box (Hellsing obra completa #1-10)
  • Battle Angel Alita Complete Collection
  • Naruto: Complete Series
  • Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series (Scott Pilgrim, #1-6)
See top shelves…
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe

Death Note (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)

News & Interviews